HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2012, 12:49 PM
True Hockey Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
I highly doubt St-Louis will be in the team, since he will be around 40 years old and wasn't in the 2010 olympic team, there are better option than Sharp and Bergeron.
Seguin might make the team, if he continues to improve. M.Richards shoud make it. There way more better defensement tha Del Zotte, such as M.Staal or Pk. Subban

St.Louis has a good chemistry with Stamkos and that's one of the reasons, I think, why he can make the team easily.

Sharp and Bergeron are good two-way players and pretty good on penalty killing. But I'm ok with Richards, he deserves it as well.

I hold the view that Del Zotto is both great skater and good offensively, although M. Staal is very close to make the team. And If there is Subban or Burns on the roster, I have no problem with that. The 7th spot is definitely a real question.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:47 PM
espo*

St Louis is not a bad option despite what people here tell you but they have one thing correct, he will be on the bad side of 30 when this tournament pops up, that's a concern.

As for Del Zotto, just why would you think he should be included?

Please give me concrete reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
St.Louis has a good chemistry with Stamkos and that's one of the reasons, I think, why he can make the team easily.

Sharp and Bergeron are good two-way players and pretty good on penalty killing. But I'm ok with Richards, he deserves it as well.

I hold the view that Del Zotto is both great skater and good offensively, although M. Staal is very close to make the team. And If there is Subban or Burns on the roster, I have no problem with that. The 7th spot is definitely a real question.

Old
09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
St Louis is not a bad option despite what people here tell you but they have one thing correct, he will be on the bad side of 30 when this tournament pops up, that's a concern.

As for Del Zotto, just why would you think he should be included?

Please give me concrete reasons.

Well, he's 22 yo and he could be in his prime in season 2013/14 and then puck-movement and speed, which he has, are important especially on the big ice. IMO, it's a decent option. If MDZ stays in progress, I will take him as a 7th D-man. But I understand he is one of many options. I'm not surely decide about him, but as I said earlier if he stays in progress, he might be the 7th D-man. Time will tell.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

my concern about del zotto is his inconsistency and, even worse, his habit of doing blindingly stupid things.

i'd take hamhuis and even subban long before i took MDZ.

Re: St. Louis - I just see this as ending up as a pretty young team (you're going to have a bunch of players still in their 20s who are going to their second Olympics - toews, crosby, nash, doughty, weber... - who are already looks - so there isn't going to be a real need for additional veterans) - and I have a feeling that St. Louis is going to be a bit long in the tooth.

still - Yzerman is involved, so there's a good chance he'll be happy to include St. Louis.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Hmmm taking into consideration the international ice size (need for speed is more important here...)

Nash-Crosby-Perry
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
Bergeron-Toews-Seguin
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Spezza

Doughty-Weber
Keith-Pietrangelo
Campbell-Letang
Del Zotto

Luongo
Price
Holtby

09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
XeO

Neal - Crosby - Iginla
Hartnell - Stamkos - Giroux
Sharp - Toews - Eberle
Lucic - Tavares - Perry

Old
09-29-2012, 05:20 AM
espo*

I'm intrigued about having Hartnell on the team too.

While on talent you wouldn't think he has any chance to be there but on attitude and moxie he would seem to be a perfect team guy, the kind of guy who can possibly keep things loose in the locker room and bench that every team needs.....................and he can play good straight ahead hockey.

He's no stiff.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

While on talent you wouldn't think he has any chance to be there but on attitude and moxie he would seem to be a perfect team guy, the kind of guy who can possibly keep things loose in the locker room and bench that every team needs.....................and he can play good straight ahead hockey.

He's no stiff.
Hartnell down at the Olympics will be an interesting side story...I'm not so convinced he's quite on that level, but if both him and Giroux are lighting it up, and Hartnell is Top 5 LW in the league, then really you can't argue against the selection. I like him just because he had the balls to chirp Dion at the All-Star game...I love that moxie. My apologies if you are a Dion fan. )))) don't know where you team loyalties are....

Old
09-29-2012, 09:45 AM
JackSlater

Quote:

He's no stiff.
I agree that Hartnell would be a great glue guy, but his skating would be really terrible for that level and the rest of his game wouldn't be able to make up for it.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
espo*

We can always make room for a guy like that as the 13 th forward right?

No-one is asking him to save the day......................but i am sure he could find a role on this team as a pain in the ass net nose dirty rat and clubhouse confidante.

His skating ain't that bad, he's a damn good player.

I'd take him on my Habs anyday.

Old
09-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

No-one is asking him to save the day......................but i am sure he could find a role on this team as a pain in the ass net nose dirty rat and clubhouse confidante.

It would be a contentious pick no doubt...for a player like that to get picked, he needs to have an ally in the boardroom or with one of the coaches... and I don't think he has... He did play on the WC team in 06. was ineffective...albeit he was only 21 or 22 at the time. Lets say give him another shot at the WC team this spring (if there's no season or if he is available... i.e. philly crashes in the POs again) and see what he can do.. a poor showing and we can cut him from the fan's team.

And if Philly doesn't improve their goaltending...crashing early in the POs is likely.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:58 AM
espo*

Your plan sounds good to me.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Your plan sounds good to me.
I think so. If HC can put that slug Burrows on the WC and tell us he's being considered for the 2014 team...then why not Hartnell? If I had to choose between the two.... it's no contest really. If I ever get my hands on some of the HC people there'll be a few black-eyes, let me tell ya.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:00 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I think so. If HC can put that slug Burrows on the WC and tell us he's being considered for the 2014 team...then why not Hartnell? If I had to choose between the two.... it's no contest really. If I ever get my hands on some of the HC people there'll be a few black-eyes, let me tell ya.
Burrows was quite good at the WC last year. I would consider him for the Olympics before Hartnell, but in reality neither of them should come close.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:28 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I wouldn't opposed to Burrows at all. He's a good skater, good offensivly, great defensivly and we'll need some grit against an American line that has
Brown - Backes - Callahan
imo he's a better option than Hartsy, but both are great players.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Burrows was quite good at the WC last year. I would consider him for the Olympics before Hartnell, but in reality neither of them should come close.
Can't say I'm in the Borrows camp... quite good at WC? He was injured for most of it and I think he played two decent games... I think he's a below average talent being kept afloat by the Sedins...and I just think he's prone to doing the types of things I'd rather not see in a Canadian hockey player.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Yes but they guy who is the 13th forward always ends up taking the job of someone slotted in the top 12. For example, Patrice Bergeron was slotted in the top 12 last Olympics with Morrow as the 13th forward, but shortly after Bergeron was replaced by Morrow who ended up being a pretty valuable player.

You don't take a 13th forward because it can't hurt to take someone like that, you take someone who could fill the role of any player that is injured/doesn't perform well.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:43 AM
espo*

You make a good point.

I suppose he has next to no chance of making that team anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Yes but they guy who is the 13th forward always ends up taking the job of someone slotted in the top 12. For example, Patrice Bergeron was slotted in the top 12 last Olympics with Morrow as the 13th forward, but shortly after Bergeron was replaced by Morrow who ended up being a pretty valuable player.

You don't take a 13th forward because it can't hurt to take someone like that, you take someone who could fill the role of any player that is injured/doesn't perform well.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
86Habs

Hartnell is a pretty good player, but simply not Olympic quality. Same for Burrows (but if desperate I'd much rather have Hartnell than Burrows). Playing with Giroux MAY help his case, but I'd argue its more likely to help guys like Sharp, Neal, and Getzlaf/Perry who are closer to making the team anyway.

For the 13th forward role I want someone like Sharp or Eric Staal, who you can basically plug in to any role in the case of injury or non-performance and not lose too much. You don't get that with Hartnell or Burrows.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Can't say I'm in the Borrows camp... quite good at WC? He was injured for most of it and I think he played two decent games... I think he's a below average talent being kept afloat by the Sedins...and I just think he's prone to doing the types of things I'd rather not see in a Canadian hockey player.
No kidding...in this regard, he's a far less talented version of Getzlaf.

If Burrows makes the team and Spezza doesn't it will be a national embarrassment....actually if Burrows makes the team over anyone it will be wrong.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:10 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I didn't do specific lines

but...

13 forwards =

Toews, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, Getzlaf, Eberle, Nash, Perry, E. Staal, RNH, Benn, [J. Staal/Hall/Skinner]

7 d-men =

Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seabrook, Letang, Keith, [dunno - subban/hamhuis??]

3 goalies

gotta go w/ price/Lu/Fleury/crying

Old
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
True Hockey Fan

Let's have a look at our offense:

I made a little bit "risky" lines, but....

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
Stamkos - Spezza - Giroux
E.Staal - Toews - Eberle
Nash - Thornton - Perry
13th: M.Richards

What do you think about Joe Thornton ?

I think he can play as the 4th center. I doubt he find a spot in the third line, since Toews is my 3th center.

Of course I'm not sure if Thornton finds a spot on the roster, anyway, I have no doubt about our offense. The 4th line Nash-Thornton-Perry could be different, but I'm really fine with the rest of my lines.

I wanna mention Danny Briere. He could play as a 13th forward IMO. He's quite good in play-offs, he can skate, can score, has a good passing-ability, he can play in front of the net, and he can play powerplays too.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:42 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
What do you think about Joe Thornton ?
I will be shocked if he's on the 2014 team. Thornton isn't one of the top 4 Canadian centres right now, better yet in 2014. He's clearly on the downside of his career, and other than the 2005 WC (where he was excellent) he's never been particularly good internationally.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I will be shocked if he's on the 2014 team. Thornton isn't one of the top 4 Canadian centres right now, better yet in 2014. He's clearly on the downside of his career, and other than the 2005 WC (where he was excellent) he's never been particularly good internationally.
I'm not in the Thornton camp either, but he still has the stats # 7 in the league among centers (mostly assists) to support him being there. But ya, I've never really liked big Joe playing internationally either. Even if the Olympics were to start tomorrow, I don't like Joe on the the 4th. line or any line for that matter. Time to move on...Every Olympic team should have at least 50% turnover...and if Joe makes it to Sochi. That will be his 3rd Olympics. He got his gold medal... lets turn it over to the next generation.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
newfy

Quote:

He's no stiff.
Hartnell could be that Morrow type player, just muck and grind while chipping in and throwing some huge hits. Another season like last years and he'll be hard to keep off the team

Closed Thread