HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most shocking trades (trades no one saw coming)

Old
09-30-2012, 01:37 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
HNIC had franson coming to the leafs weeks before it happened. On the hotstove it got mentioned a lot
really idon't recall that

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:40 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
really idon't recall that
In the lead up to the draft it was mentioned and I think TSN had the leafs looking at him. They also had the oilers looking at him as well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:22 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
This was not shocking at all. Hasek forced his way out of Buffalo, on his own terms, and pretty much pigeon-holed Regier into trading him for nothing.
Sure, but to DET? NHL GMs aren't valets - the destination should have shocked many, even if getting out of a bad situation for Hasek didn't. Especially those that say "#1s don't get traded" etc....

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 05:09 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatali View Post
The bigger suprise trade was just a little before at the draft, with the Wild trading Burns to SJ for Seto and Coyle and the pick. If I recall correctly the Det GM was really pissed about that trade happening before he could do something.
Nah, it was Babcock who was pissed at player like that being available and they A) didn't know or B) Holland knew but didn't take a stab at it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:26 AM
rypper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey View Post
Jeez can anyone remember anything that happened in the NHL more than 10 years ago?

What about Gretzky being traded?

With Savard being my favourite player the Savard for Chelios trade was a big shock.
The difference between now and more than 10 years ago as you stated is that we now live in the social media age were things get leaked or rumored on twitter or tsn or on blogs so the likelihood of something actually being shocking is very slim.

Back 10 years ago there wasn't the avenues that we are open to today so most if not all trades didn't come with advanced notice.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:43 AM
cgf

In recent Avs history the EJ trade came out of no where. We needed a top pairing and our season was falling apart, but that trade was straight out of left field.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:01 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
For me, the Mike Richards trade was quite shocking and came out of no where. I'd say 95% of Flyers fans expected McFloater to be traded (even predicted the trade to be CBS 1st + Voracek), but that 95% were in complete shock when they found out that Richards was traded too

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
As an Oilers fan a couple come to mind.. Pronger for Brewer, Lynch and Woywitka and Smyth for Nilsson, O'Marra and 1st (Plante). I thought forsure Smyth was getting signed and at the time I thought that return was really good. Had high hopes for O'Marra especially.

EJ trade, Phaneuf trade, Thornton trade (one of the most shocking)

In a sense the Pronger trade out of Edmonton was shocking as well just because there were rumors of possible scenarios like Nabokov and Michalek from SJ, the Oilers asked for Kopitar in LA and Richards or Carter in Philly. Dont have links to these, just remember reading about it and the San Jose one was mentioned on Sportsnet back then.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
HNIC had franson coming to the leafs weeks before it happened. On the hotstove it got mentioned a lot
I don't think that's accurate, I have no memory of HNIC talking about Franson to Toronto, and the trade occurred in July...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
CREW99AW

So many of the early Milbury trades caught me by surprise. The Luongo trade was the biggest shocker.

I turned on the tv to watch the draft and the announcers were discussing the Luongo trade. The names of the players involved was scrolling across the bottom of the screen. I kept looking, waiting to see what other players were coming to LI aside from Parrish and Kvasha

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
As an Oilers fan a couple come to mind.. Pronger for Brewer, Lynch and Woywitka and Smyth for Nilsson, O'Marra and 1st (Plante). I thought forsure Smyth was getting signed and at the time I thought that return was really good. Had high hopes for O'Marra especially.

That Smyth trade did come from out of nowhere.

Isles fans still argue over it. I said when it was made, that Snow should have demanded a chance to speak to Smyth, find out if he'd sign an extension.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:01 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey View Post
Jeez can anyone remember anything that happened in the NHL more than 10 years ago?

What about Gretzky being traded?

With Savard being my favourite player the Savard for Chelios trade was a big shock.
Ten years? I'll give you the second most shocking trade (after Gretzky) and it was over 30 years ago. Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais going to the hated Rangers for Jean Ratelle and Brad Park. It would be similar to the Pens trading either Crosby or Malkin and Kris Letang to the Flyers for Claude Giroux and a young Chris Pronger.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Hossa/Heatley deal for sure. I'm a bit biased here since I'm a Sens fan, so obviously it shocked me more than most other fans, but it's not often you see two elite players traded for each other, and especially not two elite players who play the same position.

Tap on the Ankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:02 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
its the gretzky to LA from EDM trade, by FAR. nobody saw it coming, and it was the biggest trade in sports history. there were no rumors about it and nothing in the media. just a shocker one day out of the blue.

as far as the selanne trade there were rumors in the free press for weeks before it happened so it was no big surprise

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Gretzky out of Edmonton was a stunner at the time. I was pretty young then, but I'm sure everyone was shocked.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:58 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Gragnani...well, his problem was just that he was born in the wrong century. In the 1400's or 1500's, he'd have been just the guy to travel around the unexplored world, discover places, and name them after himself. He's just got that kind of spirit. He's the kind of guy who says: "What's over there? Way, way over there?" then goes to find out. Where others may say: "Why?" or "Seriously, why?" or even "What the hell is wrong with you? WHY?!" he says: "Why not?" Danger? Peril? Intricately designed hockey set plays? Merely speed bumps in the road of life to intrepid souls such as his. He'd drop whatever he was doing, sail halfway around the world, discover Hawaii, and name it Gragnaniland. Why? Just because. Sure, his father would say: "Idiot boy, I sent you to the barn for eggs and you return six months later with a sack of macadamia nuts. WTF?!" But to the rest of the world, he'd have nailed his name in the pages of history as the man who discovered Gragnaniland.

Sadly, this adventurous streak didn't serve him terribly well here, as has been documented. His shifts on the Canucks always kept us in suspense waiting to see which retarded place he'd suddenly decide to bugger off to. It'd certainly be nowhere near scrums or nasty bodily contact, that much was always assured, however. Sulzer wasn't any kind of loss because he was buried behind depth...and Aaron Rome, who out idiot coach had a massive hard spot for. I'm glad he worked out well for you guys; good to see him getting an NHL gig after being misused here.
Post of the year

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Papa044

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Papa044
bure to the panthers

Papa044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post

EJ trade, Phaneuf trade, Thornton trade (one of the most shocking)

In a sense the Pronger trade out of Edmonton was shocking as well just because there were rumors of possible scenarios like Nabokov and Michalek from SJ, the Oilers asked for Kopitar in LA and Richards or Carter in Philly. Dont have links to these, just remember reading about it and the San Jose one was mentioned on Sportsnet back then.
Also we asked for Toews from Chicago and Jay Bo from Florida.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Esq.

Mike Richards

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Lecavalier to Montreal.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Vertzedyek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lecavalier to Montreal.
This.

Vertzedyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Foligno for Mark ****in Methot.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:55 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Demitra for Lewis (1st rounder) and Patrick O'Sullivan

Brent Burns for Devin Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle and Zach Phillips (1st)...Martin Havlat for Dany Heatley...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Foligno for Mark ****in Methot.
The idea of Methot being traded for another winger was a very prevalent one among Jackets fans; we were suggesting it frequently. That it was Foligno in particular who came back wasn't too much of a surprise to us either; Ottawa had seemed to be one of our best possible targets.

I can see why it'd catch Sens fans off guard, though. It's not as though the blueline is in dire shape there, and the idea of moving Foligno probably wouldn't appeal.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

People who say the 'Thornton trade' weren't paying attention.

I called that one after the NJ debacle. He had to go.

It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who was following the Bruins. The surprise was the poor return.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote