HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

SM-Liiga 2012-13 (general talk)

Old
09-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
I had to watch the Jokerit game again and focus just on Karlsson. Damn he is very very good and like said it was just his first game. So smooth easy skating, holds the puck so god damn well, calm presence, sharp strong passes and the creativity is just amazing. He makes players around him better... for example Teemu Eronen played very good game paired with Erik. Wow, if this is only one month show gotta enjoy what you get

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 03:49 AM
ES

Laatikainen is injured but most recent info I heard he would be back before Marco Rosa (who was injured in early September pre-season game and said to be out for six weeks)

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 05:33 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I had to watch the Jokerit game again and focus just on Karlsson. Damn he is very very good and like said it was just his first game. So smooth easy skating, holds the puck so god damn well, calm presence, sharp strong passes and the creativity is just amazing. He makes players around him better... for example Teemu Eronen played very good game paired with Erik. Wow, if this is only one month show gotta enjoy what you get
Yes, yes and yes.

Jokerit's new playing system will/could/should be just give the puck to Karlsson and wiat for the profit.

It was clear he wasn't playing anywhere close to 100% but man was he still good. Was awesome to see him live, can't wait for Thursday .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 05:59 AM
Fat Doctor

Holy smokes Erik Karlsson!!!

I have never seen anyone so good here in Finland, not so far behind are Valtteri Filppula and Ville Leino.

Still so hard to describe Erik, there are no words. Do yourself a favour and go see Erik play. Doesnt matter how much you loath Jokerit, Erik is worth seeing. First thing on Monday I'll go get me some #65 jersey.

Fat Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:18 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Doctor View Post
Holy smokes Erik Karlsson!!!

I have never seen anyone so good here in Finland, not so far behind are Valtteri Filppula and Ville Leino.
He reminds me lots of about Sami Vatanen.

Hard opening passes who like never miss an inch. If no place to pass -> then skate it up with amazing skill. Great shot. Is the 4th offensive man.

One could not know if we are talking about Vatanen or Karlsson. Both are phenomenal players and D-men, karlsson is just more merited today. I hope Vatanen will break trough in NHL. To be honest, and not taking anything away from Karlsson, Vatanen really isnt much worser than Erik. And he is only one I know in this league with Erik to be that good.

QnebO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:13 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Ramstedt and Rinkinen have 2 more points today

15 points for Ramstedt and 13 for Rinkinen overall

When will it end?

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Juzmo
late april

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Ramstedt and Rinkinen have 2 more points today

15 points for Ramstedt and 13 for Rinkinen overall

When will it end?
Never.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

As a Blues fan it sure has been fun to watch that "TNT" line. I am especially surprised that Ramstedt has exploded like this. He's been the best player in the league so far IMO. Youngsters Ikonen and Aaltonen have also both been pleasant surprises. I hope the team can keep this up!

Doothpick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Mara

Nice match coming next tuesday, Kärpät vs. Jokerit with Jokinen, Demers playing for Kärpät and Filppula, Karlsson playing for Jokerit, though based on the Jokerit - HPK match I expect Jokerit to tear them to shreds.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Fat Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
One could not know if we are talking about Vatanen or Karlsson. Both are phenomenal players and D-men, karlsson is just more merited today. I hope Vatanen will break trough in NHL. To be honest, and not taking anything away from Karlsson, Vatanen really isnt much worser than Erik. And he is only one I know in this league with Erik to be that good.
I hate to be a buzz-kill, but Vatanen is miles behind Karlsson. Totally different caliber, I've seen Vatanen play several times, no match for the guy I witnessed yesterday. As I said, best player I've ever seen in FEL.

Old
09-30-2012, 03:22 PM
QnebO

Quote:
I hate to be a buzz-kill, but Vatanen is miles behind Karlsson. Totally different caliber, I've seen Vatanen play several times, no match for the guy I witnessed yesterday. As I said, best player I've ever seen in FEL.
Allright. I saw the game too and I think different. I didint see that big magic that Vatanen didin't do in FEL.. I mean, great moves, great shot, good hard passes, right decisions. OFC this guy can be named as the best ever player in FEL as hes merited allready. But in the same time, Vatanen has the potentional to be like that Eriksson guy. He was just awesome night after night when he played the league, and really played like a pro. Without him JyP is much weaker. Not only he scored tons of points and was offensively skilled, he also was +31 in plusminus on the last season and was solid defensively. Not two times best defenseman of the league (at that age!) without reason!

I hope Vatanen can do that in NHL too. I still think the both players are phenomenal.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Fat Doctor

I know Vatanen's excellence, but comparing him to the best player in the world (of Vatanen's player-type) is unfair. I think Vatanen has chances to score 60+ point seasons in NHL in the future, but atm the gap is huge. Karlsson is a little better in just about everything except I think Vatanen's skating is a bit better.

+ you have to add the factor, that it was Karlsson's first game in FEL, and just few hours after landing.

Last edited by Fat Doctor: 10-01-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old
09-30-2012, 11:46 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I know Vatanen's excellence, but comparing him to the best player in the world (of Vatanen's player-type) is unfair. I think Vatanen has chances to score 60+ point seasons in NHL in the future, but atm the gap is huge. Eriksson is a little better in just about everything except I think Vatanen's skating is a bit better.

+ you have to add the factor, that it was Eriksson's first game in FEL, and just few hours after landing.
You mean Karlsson, right?

Because Vatanen's skating is miles and miles better than Jonathan Ericssons'

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Fat Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
You mean Karlsson, right?

Because Vatanen's skating is miles and miles better than Jonathan Ericssons'
Getting messed up with Swedish names... I have no excuses.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Getting messed up with Swedish names... I have no excuses.
You have 1 I think!

Erik Karlsson <-> Karl Eriksson.

Logical error?

Old
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Blues in lower end Lets see if Jalonen has balls to invite Ramsted to national games.
Those we're pre-season predictions, don't think anyone could've predicted their current run. Still don't believe in them overall, but great start.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:09 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Those we're pre-season predictions, don't think anyone could've predicted their current run. Still don't believe in them overall, but great start.
They have played good but the best thing in Blues has been their jerseys - they almost have no add stickers at all, just like jokerit. I like that, I earlier didint like blues but you gotta give respect for a team who wants their jerseys to look good!

Old
10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Allright. I saw the game too and I think different. I didint see that big magic that Vatanen didin't do in FEL.. I mean, great moves, great shot, good hard passes, right decisions. OFC this guy can be named as the best ever player in FEL as hes merited allready. But in the same time, Vatanen has the potentional to be like that Eriksson guy. He was just awesome night after night when he played the league, and really played like a pro. Without him JyP is much weaker. Not only he scored tons of points and was offensively skilled, he also was +31 in plusminus on the last season and was solid defensively. Not two times best defenseman of the league (at that age!) without reason!

I hope Vatanen can do that in NHL too. I still think the both players are phenomenal.
How is Karlsson better than for example Selänne and Kurri? Erik is really good but not the best player ever in Sm-Liiga...

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:36 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
How is Karlsson better than for example Selänne and Kurri? Erik is really good but not the best player ever in Sm-Liiga...
Hmm... yeah, you're right. But hes best in long time and probably one of the best foreign catches ever in the league.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Elever
Hth

I've seen fights happen in SM-Liiga but does the league have tough guys or even goons like in the NHL? Any players who fight often for example and the best ones at it? I don't think European leagues track the fighting stat the way NHL.com does.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Fat Doctor

I would rate FEL all time players pretty much like this:

1. Theoren Fleury
2. Erik Karlsson
3. Michael Nylander (1995)

And this based purely on skill level, not merits.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
QnebO

Quote:
I would rate FEL all time players pretty much like this:

1. Theoren Fleury
2. Erik Karlsson
3. Michael Nylander (1995)

And this based purely on skill level, not merits.
Your list must be based on what he has done in the NHL. He wasnt that good at that firs game..

Old
10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Fat Doctor

Quote:
Your list must be based on what he has done in the NHL. He wasnt that good at that firs game..
I watch a lot of games and Karlsson was something I've never seen before in FEL. Last time I saw something even close to that was Ville Leino 07/08.

Karlsson left V. Filppula to his shadow, and Valtteri was excellent.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Mara

Quote:
I watch a lot of games and Karlsson was something I've never seen before in FEL. Last time I saw something even close to that was Ville Leino 07/08.

Karlsson left V. Filppula to his shadow, and Valtteri was excellent.
He honestly wasn't THAT good, which is very understandable considering it was his first game, not to mention all the travel. I think you're getting sucked in by the hype. Vatanen has been used in this thread earlier as a reference and for good reason, they're very similar players. I've seen Vatanen dominate the play with his skating and shot much more than Karlsson did in that game. No doubt Karlsson can improve his game a lot.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Kennel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I've seen fights happen in SM-Liiga but does the league have tough guys or even goons like in the NHL? Any players who fight often for example and the best ones at it? I don't think European leagues track the fighting stat the way NHL.com does.
A fist fight is always 5+20 minutes + extra games for repeat offenders, so it's rarely worth it. About 5 years ago it wasn't unheard to have an unskilled goon on your bench but they've become rare after the maximum roster size was dropped to 18+goalies. There's still bunch of 3/4 line guys who are more eager to drop gloves but "pure" goons are nearly extinct.

Someone counted that the last season had 21 games (out of 420) with at least one fist fight but after a huge media backlash[*] just before this season every team is now extra cautious and avoiding any unwanted attention.

There's still lots of fans who love to speculate and analyze hockey fights. I don't really care all that much but here's a pre-seasonal expectation list made by someone on jatkoaika.com:

Champion
Jonne Virtanen, JYP

Challengers
Danny Richmond, Pelicans
Ilari Melart, HIFK
Matt Generous, Lukko
Ryan O'Marra, Pelicans
Semir Ben-Amor, Jokerit (probably not going to try anything after being slaughtered by media)

Kennel is offline   Reply With Quote