HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I have a weird feeling a deal is going to get done.
That's my gut feeling, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I have no compassion for either side, for really the only ones who truly suffer is us the fans.
Oh, come on. That's like Nike going bankrupt and you only feeling bad for yourself, because you can't get those sneakers anymore. I mean, sure, you can do that, but I don't see how you'd actually be justified in being angry at the company.

Old
09-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Krishna

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Player text: unless there's surprise turn soon, NHLPA views weekend meetings as a step back. Called NHL's actions "sickening."

Old
09-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Krishna

If you guys want so see something hilarious from Krys Barch that shows how greedy some of the players are..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Quote:
"I sit here from Gand Bend, Ontario putting a pen to my heart and writing on paper what bleeds out. My name is Krys Barch. I have played approximately 5 1/2 years in the NHL and have worked for every second of it. I haven't been a 1st round pick, bonus baby or a son of a hall of famer. I have made it through sweating, bleeding, cut Achilles, broken hands, concussions, broken orbital bones, 8 teeth knocked out, etc, etc, etc.

"I sit in front of a fire, 8 OV deep and starting a bottle of Porte that will assist in the translations of my emotions to words! No different than a truck driver, farmer or line worker, I have a shot and a beer. Not to deal with the days ahead but to ease the nerves from what my body has endured the days before.

"I sit here with both my boys sleeping and my wife due with our 3rd. My thoughts racing on what I can conquer tomorrow to get our family ahead. Sometimes, wondering if I should have existed when a word and a gun solidified and solved all problems. I feel the Wild West would more simplified than the world we live in now when an employer who makes billions of dollars and a league with record revenues can tell me that I can't do the things that my heart tells my me to do!

"All what my heart tells me to do far surpasses what my body has endured. As I write this I dive deeper and deeper into my bottle of Porte giving wider views to the depths of my heart. As my pen warms from the fire, Neil Young and a fall Canadian night, I wonder how this work stoppage effects the owners?

"I wonder if the owners of Boston, New York, Washington, etc, etc, have endured any of the injuries that I or any other player in the NHL have endured. Still they probably sit their smoking the same brand of cigar, sipping the same cognac, and going on vacation. To one of five houses they own. While we sit here knowing they want to take 20% of our paychecks. One half to 3/4 of my peers will have to work for the next 50 years of their lives.

"Congratulations to the lucky select few that I have played with who have made salaries that they can choose to do whatever they want when they are done. But I have played most who do not!

"If the NHL wants to teams in the south or struggling markets than the players along with the financially well to do teams need to start working together. Or they need to start to move teams to the North where they will make money. The system allows the owners to continually take money from the players contract after contract where eventually over 40 some years the owners will have 80% of revenue. The only way to stop the work stoppages long into the future is fix the root cause of the problems.

"The lockout is a procedure to take from the players to pay for the NHL mistakes. Let not allow the NHL to make any more mistakes.

"Let the league and the players to come together to fix the mistakes that have been made and make sure non are made in the future. Let's get a deal where the owners, players, and fans benefit from. We're we can be sitting around in beautiful Canadian falls around a fire playing and watching the game we love.

"Here's to the truth and our next conversation. As always speaking from my heart! Goodnight! Like me or hate me I speak what comes from my heart!"
How dare they have to work after they retire from hockey!

Edit : Rereading it, it wasn't as bad as when I was watching his rant live on twitter.. But still, the bolded statement is ridiculous

Old
09-30-2012, 05:01 AM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Player text: unless there's surprise turn soon, NHLPA views weekend meetings as a step back. Called NHL's actions "sickening."
Sounds like a full season lockout to me.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:17 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think Cherry was making an economic argument. I think he was making a moral argument.
Right, but economics = human action. Morality = human action.

They're very closely related. People complain about the morality of businesses constantly.

Cherry would be right to say it is not a nice thing to do (it isn't), but like I said: Those players in the other leagues don't own their jobs (ownership/property rights are moral issues, usually defined around some idea of "rightful use")-- if they did, it would be immoral to take them.

It might be a lousy thing to do, but it isn't immoral.

This is an economic issue-- and he's making a moral complaint about it. You can't drive a wedge between them when the morality of the economic factor (going overseas for a job) is what he's concerned with.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Krishna

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHLPA members just arrived at the NHL office in NY. Don Fehr is not here. Talks will start soon.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Krishna

Expect CBA talks on HRR Monday. Should be announced later today.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Expect CBA talks on HRR Monday. Should be announced later today.
Well. Four days in a row is a moderately promising sign.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Well. Four days in a row is a moderately promising sign.
Just wondering why Fehr isn't there today

Old
09-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Just wondering why Fehr isn't there today
Hmm. Two possibilities?:

1) The negotiations aren't serious. It's a photo-op.

2) The negotiations are serious, and Fehr is being pushed aside.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Krishna

Hopefully the latter

But it's probably because he is either working on a new proposal for tomorrow or the topics at hand don't require his presence

Old
09-30-2012, 11:12 AM
orangecrush8

Quote:
If you guys want so see something hilarious from Krys Barch that shows how greedy some of the players are..

Edit : Rereading it, it wasn't as bad as when I was watching his rant live on twitter.. But still, the bolded statement is ridiculous
The whole rant is ridiculous. To me, it just screams "ungrateful". He calls some people lucky but not himself. 90% of the world would love to be his financial position.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Hopefully the latter

But it's probably because he is either working on a new proposal for tomorrow or the topics at hand don't require his presence
Yeah. I'm inclined to agree.

But if he's working on a new proposal for tomorrow, that could also be encouraging.

If the league comes back with some sort of offer that leaves the NHLPA with perhaps 51 / 52 percent, it might be enough to allow the union to save face and find a deal. I'm not sure they can get them to 50-50 without a prolonged stoppage. The season-saving number has to be north of that, I think. Meanwhile, the NHL could use that "concession" to leverage some of its other demands--e.g., RFA years, ELCs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
The whole rant is ridiculous. To me, it just screams "ungrateful". He calls some people lucky but not himself. 90% of the world would love to be his financial position.
You're not wrong. But none of the owners are in that 90 percent. Millionaires v. billionaires.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

Let's not take one idiot's statements and spread them across the entire NHLPA as proof the players are greedy. All pro athletes need to continue working in some fashion after they retire. I'm willing to bet most NHL players are smart enough to realize that without being indignant about it.

09-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
That's my gut feeling, too.

Oh, come on. That's like Nike going bankrupt and you only feeling bad for yourself, because you can't get those sneakers anymore. I mean, sure, you can do that, but I don't see how you'd actually be justified in being angry at the company.
Huh??? I guess you do not care if you watch any NHL games this year? I must admit though, your analogy concerning my statement is muddy to say the least. You do understand what I was trying to say? I am glad that the two sides are at least talking for now and hopefully they can keep chipping away at the smaller issues while working towards the bigger picture.

Old
09-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Let's not take one idiot's statements and spread them across the entire NHLPA as proof the players are greedy. All pro athletes need to continue working in some fashion after they retire. I'm willing to bet most NHL players are smart enough to realize that without being indignant about it.
There's been more than the one person to come out and say somethng like that

Old
09-30-2012, 05:23 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

I don't agree with the rant, but I think he's trying to draw a contrast between the non-elite players and the NHL owners, which is a valid point

Old
09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
There's been more than the one person to come out and say somethng like that
And there are how many active NHL players?

Old
09-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
And there are how many active NHL players?
Technically none since they are locked out..

But there's been probably 20-30 players with terrible tweets about how the bettman and the league are bad

Old
09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Technically none since they are locked out..

But there's been probably 20-30 players with terrible tweets about how the bettman and the league are bad
There are over 600 active NHL players, you're looking at 5%. Less, since 600 is a lowball number.

Edit: After Bettman and Co.'s initial offer, I'm inclined to agree with the players. That was just abysmal.

Old
09-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Krishna

Vocal minority. BUt the point still stands.

Just because they all aren't coming out and saying it doesn't mean it's not true

Old
09-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Vocal minority. BUt the point still stands.

Just because they all aren't coming out and saying it doesn't mean it's not true
So because less than 5% say it, it means all the players are greedy? I mean, God forbid they don't want to take a huge paycut for the second time in a decade with very few concessions from the owners.

Old
09-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Krishna

Not sure how many times we have to go over the paycut and concession discussions..

If an employer is losing money, he can save money two ways :

1. Fire people. (contraction)
2. Salary cuts

Players don't want either. They are going to have to chose one or the other.

As far as concessions go, the owners won't give up concessions until the HRR is changed closer to 50/50

Old
09-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Not sure how many times we have to go over the paycut and concession discussions..

2. Salary cuts

Players don't want either. They are going to have to chose one or the other.

As far as concessions go, the owners won't give up concessions until the HRR is changed closer to 50/50
3) Move losing franchises to areas where they won't drain 10s of mil per year
4) Don't spend and invest like idiots and expect the players to pay

Old
09-30-2012, 06:29 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

2. Salary cuts
Haha what.

Way to oversimplify

Closed Thread