HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Ugene Malkin
I'm Score

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
say they work three seasons at minimum nhl wage. They made 1.5 million dollars. That's in the ballpark of what I can expect to make over the course of my entire career as a teacher. They can then use that to go to college or start a business or really do whatever they want. I'm not saying they should get less, but they damn sure shouldn't expect anyone to feel bad for them.
After taxes, NHLPA, agent, he'll probably end up with about half of that. But still that's more than the average Joe.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
After taxes, NHLPA, agent, he'll probably end up with about half of that. But still that's more than the average Joe.
so he has an agent. I pay taxes and union dues too.

I'm not trying to be bitter. I have no problem with them making good money. I just can't make myself feel bad for them over financial issues. One minimum wage NHL season gives you enough money to build yourself a great life.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 09-30-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Ugene Malkin
I'm Score

Quote:

I'm not trying to be bitter. I have no problem with them making good money. I just can't make myself feel bad for them over financial issues. One minimum wage NHL season gives you enough money to build yourself a great life.
Oh...I'm with you on that.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 10-01-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: very tired
Old
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Right and that's the reason why the players trying to appeal to the masses is ridiculous. They are talking up the owners as billionaires sipping cognac all day (read Krys Barch's article on TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406435#YourCallTop) and then acting like they are scrapping by. It just sounds out of touch and childish.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Right and that's the reason why the players trying to appeal to the masses is ridiculous. They are talking up the owners as billionaires sipping cognac all day (read Krys Barch's article on TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406435#YourCallTop) and then acting like they are scrapping by. It just sounds out of touch and childish.
Appealling to the uninformed with shallow gestures js bound to ruffle a feather or two. Most posters on the boards here are better than that, and fortunately are in agreement. You get tired of the jawboning.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

More talks scheduled tomorrow, more HRR definitions talk. Meantime both NJ Senators getting into the act.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406521

Quote:
The NHL dispute is now attracting the attention of two New Jersey senators, who are urging both sides to settle.

Senators Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez sent a letter Monday to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Don Fehr urging them to consider the economic impact on their state if the dispute is not resolved.

The Democrats wrote that Congress has jurisdiction over interstate commerce, which includes professional sports, and will be keeping a "close eye" on negotiations.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:39 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
say they work three seasons at minimum nhl wage. They made 1.5 million dollars. That's in the ballpark of what I can expect to make over the course of my entire career as a teacher. They can then use that to go to college or start a business or really do whatever they want. I'm not saying they should get less, but they damn sure shouldn't expect anyone to feel bad for them.
Well yeah I could stretch 1.5 million pretty far myself, but then again I'm single and I live off of beans.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullSplitter View Post
Well yeah I could stretch 1.5 million pretty far myself, but then again I'm single and I live off of beans.
there's also no reason to think working 3 years should entitle anyone to not work again. Use that 1.5 million to get an education or training or something and get a job.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

2 more hours of nothing completed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406581

Old
10-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Not surprising, but hey at least they talked...

Looks like they might consider bring in a federal mediator.

Quote:
@RenLavoieRDS
A Washington Federal mediator is on stand by, but won't be part of the process because both parties are still talking.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/10/...gs-no-progress

Old
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I also read that a few senators are making a stand on this, too. Could this government role actually push this along faster?

Old
10-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post

I've been wondering for awhile why they aren't using a mediator. It's obvious they are at a stalemate. Stop wasting time and bring the mediator in to get things rolling again.

The way they are handling this is mind boggling. I keep saying common sense has to prevail, but they are seriously making me wonder if I gave them all too much credit.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've been wondering for awhile why they aren't using a mediator. It's obvious they are at a stalemate. Stop wasting time and bring the mediator in to get things rolling again.

The way they are handling this is mind boggling. I keep saying common sense has to prevail, but they are seriously making me wonder if I gave them all too much credit.
Yes Jiggy - you are giving them too much credit.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I also read that a few senators are making a stand on this, too. Could this government role actually push this along faster?
Not unless they get mean about it. If they start investigating things in terms of legal claims and harm done to local workers and stuff like that, it might light a fire under the league's arse (to avoid any kind of legal disputes where the other side has bigger guns than they do). And a black eye from the coverage (PR wise), which could impact television contracts. Basically, only if the NHL fears it will cost them more money to ignore the government's warnings.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:

Yeah it doesn't seem like either side is going to budge until major losses start coming their way, this is the most retarded game of chicken ever being played. But I honestly wonder if a mediator will help, both sides need to budge some and if one of them don't like what's been purposed then we're back to where we started. Hopefully it's an easier pill for them to swallow giving into a mediator's proposal and not the PA or the league's. And they can get this done without doing much more damage to the league.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
vikingGoalie

i think they all need to get locked in a room with this playing in an infinite loop
until they either get a deal done or go nutz...

Old
10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Yes Jiggy - you are giving them too much credit.
I just can't imagine how they could be stupid enough to go down this road again.

There is no reason they can't get in a room and stay there until they both give enough to find a reasonable solution.

None.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Yeah it doesn't seem like either side is going to budge until major losses start coming their way, this is the most retarded game of chicken ever being played. But I honestly wonder if a mediator will help, both sides need to budge some and if one of them don't like what's been purposed then we're back to where we started. Hopefully it's an easier pill for them to swallow giving into a mediator's proposal and not the PA or the league's. And they can get this done without doing much more damage to the league.
It's a disgrace at this point and it makes me ill that both sides can't find a way to divide their pie... This isn't like last time when the issue was cap vs no cap. I understand posturing and playing chicken, but you absolutely can't miss any regular season games. Not even one. It would be ridiculous for a league at its most fruitful time, to add anymore missed games to the pile of 1500+ on the woodpile of NHL labor strife.

They are acting like children, so they need to bring in a mediator to help them do what they are too childish to do on their own.

Everyone knows the solution is to gradually lower the players percentage until it hits 50/50, and by that time the pie should be much bigger and it won't impact the players salaries much.

Everyone sees it but these fools...

Old
10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think the last thing we need is more incompetents getting involved.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
It's a disgrace at this point and it makes me ill that both sides can't find a way to divide their pie... This isn't like last time when the issue was cap vs no cap. I understand posturing and playing chicken, but you absolutely can't miss any regular season games. Not even one. It would be ridiculous for a league at its most fruitful time, to add anymore missed games to the pile of 1500+ on the woodpile of NHL labor strife.

They are acting like children, so they need to bring in a mediator to help them do what they are too childish to do on their own.

Everyone knows the solution is to gradually lower the players percentage until it hits 50/50, and by that time the pie should be much bigger and it won't impact the players salaries much.

Everyone sees it but these fools...
I think they see it. I just don't think they care. I'm scared its become a pride thing at this point.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think they see it. I just don't think they care. I'm scared its become a pride thing at this point.
I have to keep believing they will come to their senses before its too late, but it looks like a big longshot now.

However, I'm starting to worry my original feelings from back in the Spring were spot on... The players brought in Fehr to start a war and get back at Bettman.

I put the biggest amount of blame on the owners for this mess even happening (as you know already), but the players have to be the bigger side. Someone over there has to step up soon.. Iggy, Brodeur, etc.

Someone has to be the voice of reason here...

Old
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:

Maybe this will get a fire going to settle this dumb lockout.

Quote:

Mediators aren't brought in unless there is a long stalemate. Which is probably why they are on the sidelines right now. I suspect though it won't be too much longer till we see a mediator get involved.

10-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullSplitter View Post
May I act as a player's accountant?
1.5 million less tax less Russian internet bride less child support once she ups and runs less a division of the assets upon splitting less overpriced legal fees less overpriced accountant's fees = Not much left

Old
10-03-2012, 01:41 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

So frustrating.

I just wanted them to meet all day Tuesday. Thats all i wanted. Small victories but nope.

I really am over it though. This season is done. I want Sid to sign overseas immediately so i can watch him play competitive hockey this season. Don't wait a month or two, Sid, let's play some hockey.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Shady Machine

I'm really starting to think that the season is done. The players seem unwilling to take any immediate salary reduction and the NHL is not going to move off that point. Damn both sides are stubborn.

Closed Thread