HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA / Lockout Discussion Thread (Update: player tested, owner approved)

Old
09-24-2012, 05:48 PM
bassassin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Yeah, a good read!

I just found it a little hard to read (white on black).
Noted. Never really thought of that aspect before, have changed it.

Would you be able to have another look and tell me if thats any better?

http://alightheartedworkofstaggering...logspot.co.uk/

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:34 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Noted. Never really thought of that aspect before, have changed it.

Would you be able to have another look and tell me if thats any better?

http://alightheartedworkofstaggering...logspot.co.uk/
Yes, it's much easier to read now.

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Bolto
?

I got my season ticket package today with the STM cards,

useless garbage at this point.

It also came with 20th anniversary patches which made me feel even worse considering how this is screwing up the 20th anniversary season. It sucks to get the season ticket package in the mail and be bummed out by it.

Last edited by Bolto: 09-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
I got my season ticket package today with the STM cards,

useless garbage at this point.

It also came with 20th anniversary patches which made me feel even worse considering how this is screwing up the 20th anniversary season. It sucks to get the season ticket package in the mail and be bummed out by it.
Yep. I really didnt even look at mine. The tin is nice though.

Ridiculous that we should be talking about preseason games and who will make the team right now, and be less then 3 weeks from the season opener. And here we are, the idiots that run the whole thing not even talking to each other, except a meeting scheduled to discuss everything BUT the thing holding everything up. Un****ingbelieveable.

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...medium=twitter
Quote:
The Tampa Bay Lightning and the Tampa Bay Times Forum will begin installing hockey ice on Thursday, September 27 at 5 a.m., the team announced today. The ice will be used for a number of purposes, including youth and high school hockey, as well as other community initiatives.

Old
09-26-2012, 06:34 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ockout/1253509
Quote:
"It doesn't look good," the Lightning left wing said after 14 Tampa Bay players skated at the Ice Sports Forum. "Most of the guys, we're in there talking, the way it sounds we're prepared to be locked out the whole year."

The Players' Association and league are scheduled to meet today, and as W Marty St. Louis said, "Whenever there's a meeting there's always hope."

But Malone brought up the 2004-05 lockout that resulted in a lost season and player salaries cut 24 percent.

"That's just the way we think (commissioner Gary Bettman) is operating so we're all prepared for that," he said.
Quote:
"They've said, 'We're not going to talk to you unless you make more concessions,' so it hasn't made much sense for us," said RW B.J. Crombeen, part of the unions' negotiating committee. "We've said, 'We're here, we're ready. Let us know when you're ready to talk to us.' "

"If we're sacrificing then they should be sacrificing," Malone said. "It's about growing the game and not growing everyone's bank account."
Quote:
The union provided players with NHLPA jerseys, a much-better looking and less contentious option than the team jerseys players wore inside out to show lockout unity.
Quote:
Stamkos and St. Louis will wait another couple of weeks before deciding about playing in Europe.
Lindback has also left Tampa and is back in Sweden.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:31 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ockout/1253509
Lindback has also left Tampa and is back in Sweden.
Hahaha I completely forgot Crombeen was on the roster!

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Is Michael Deutsch related to Minny's Paul Deutsch?

Old
09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
BoltSTH

Just got my 'Loyalty Rewards' letter.
Can't see why Option 1 is 'Best value', think I am going for option 2 and get 5% APR plus credit for missed games towards playoffs or 2013-14 season.

From main board (thx Boltsfan2029)

Bolts Bucks Rewards
10% APR interest on full investment in food, beverage and merchandise credit
Front of line access to concerts & events
20th Anniversary hat

Pay It Forward Rewards
5% APR on full investment in account credit
Funds may be applied to 2013 playoffs or 2013-14 regular season
If entire season cancelled, account automatically renewed for 2013-2014 at 2012-2013 prices

Base Refund Rewards
Refund of season ticket purchase plus 1% APR interest
Opportunity to renew account for 2013-2014 at market price

Last edited by BoltSTH: 09-27-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added details
BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406296
Quote:
The league and the union got back to bargaining for the first time since players were locked out on Sept. 16, and the sides discussed secondary issues without broaching the big economic divide that really is the essence of the dispute.

"It was a good day," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Friday night after the second negotiating session of the day. "I wish we had spent today on what we consider to be the more meaningful issues, but it is what it is."
Quote:
The groups agreed on issues related to player safety and drug testing, areas that weren't expected to be contentious. They will get back together on Saturday morning, and plan to meet on Sunday, too, but the topics of discussion still don't seem to include the big dollar issues.

"I don't know if I would say significant, but we did seem to make some progress on a number of things. Hopefully we will continue," NHL Players' Association special counsel Steve Fehr said. "There is no plan right now to discuss core economic issues."

And that is where the frustration lies. The NHL is waiting for the players' association to make a counter proposal to one the league made to the union in the previous bargaining session more than two weeks ago.
Quote:
Steve Fehr contended that the players' association is willing to discuss any issues at any time to try to make a deal soon.

"We can discuss the core issues whenever they want to do it," he said. "Bargaining is not ping pong. There are no rules on who has to serve.

"I don't want to use the adjective optimistic, but it was a productive discussion. We had a good session and hopefully it will continue and build momentum."

Old
09-30-2012, 06:09 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

The PA is "sickened" at the NHL's actions over the weekend. Apparently during discussions about HRR. Bettman said the offers would get worse.

And Krys Barch is worried about his scrub bretheren having to <gasp> get jobs after their hockey careers.

Yep, we're gonna lose the entire season. At a minimum.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:04 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=642514
Quote:
After three straight days of negotiations toward establishing a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, both sides are taking a step back from the negotiations.

According to National Hockey League Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, the League and the National Hockey League Players' Association each have internal work to do.

There are no further meetings currently scheduled.

"It's not like we're breaking off negotiations, it's that we need a little more time to do some work," Daly said after a five-hour negotiating session Sunday at the League office. "[The Union has] got some work to do, too."

The meeting Sunday continued negotiations on various health and player-safety issues, including drug testing and medical care, that the sides had briefly discussed during a session Friday. The League and the Union also had a lengthy discussion about various CBA legal issues, Daly said.

The interpretation of hockey-related revenue definitions, which was the focus of the session Saturday, was not discussed Sunday.

"We covered a number of areas with the Players' Association [Saturday] and they covered a number of areas with us," Daly said. "We talked about reconvening to talk about HRR when they were prepared to respond to the issues we raised [Saturday]."
Quote:
"What we're doing now and what we've done for the last two days, I don't think any of that is going to get a deal done but they are all necessarily elements of the deal," Daly said. "Again, I hate to keep saying it because I'm going to sound like a broken record, but we need some movement on the economic issues [from the Union]. We need some movement on the system issues. We need them to be scheduled as a subject of a meeting. Right now, the Union is not prepared to do that."
Quote:
"I would say that it's good we're talking," Steve Fehr said, referring to the past three days of meetings. "It is true that we could have done this last week or the week before or the week before that, but it's a lot better than doing it three weeks from now. So, I think it's some progress and hopefully it will continue."

Old
09-30-2012, 10:27 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Quote:
"I would say that it's good we're talking," Steve Fehr said, referring to the past three days of meetings. "It is true that we could have done this last week or the week before or the week before that, but it's a lot better than doing it three weeks from now. So, I think it's some progress and hopefully it will continue."
... One of the dumber things I've read...

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
The PA is "sickened" at the NHL's actions over the weekend. Apparently during discussions about HRR. Bettman said the offers would get worse.

And Krys Barch is worried about his scrub bretheren having to <gasp> get jobs after their hockey careers.

Yep, we're gonna lose the entire season. At a minimum.
To be fair, that wasn't the fate of their predecessors, so losing ground on that now is a valid concern for what their union does for them.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
bassassin

And my next blog post is up

5 more reasons to hate the lockout...

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:10 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Quote:
NHL announces regular season games cancelled through Oct. 24

Old
10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 3073
Quote:
That is too close. Lightning at Calgary and Edmonton is the 25th 26th. I am going to Edmonton regardless but catching the game was going to be a bonus.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Not playing games might be Bettman's goal, but it might turn out to be a nightmare for him, long term.

With the NHL locked out, Canadian productivity soars until Canada becomes the world's unquestioned superpower.

SC (Space Canada) colonizes Mars and petitions for an NHL team, further complicating CBA negotiations, which now includes interplanetary law.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-05-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
CSampson

No fantasy hockey at work, no box scores to look at, no highlights to watch...ugh I've been getting work done and praise like you wouldn't believe. Canada is suffering and our dollar keeps on rising.

I hope the lockout never gets resolved.

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Not playing games might be Bettman's goal, but it might turn out to be a nightmare for him, long term.

With the NHL locked out, Canadian productivity soars until Canada becomes the world's unquestioned superpower.

SC (Space Canada) colonizes Mars and petitions for an NHL team, further complicating CBA negotiations, which now includes interplanetary law.
How the hell does Bettman still have that job? 3 lockouts under his watch and hes still the Commish? Can Bettman be fired and if he can by who? Is there a board who could make this decision? Do it now !

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:37 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
How the hell does Bettman still have that job? 3 lockouts under his watch and hes still the Commish? Can Bettman be fired and if he can by who? Is there a board who could make this decision? Do it now !
He's just doing what the owners ask him to do (and pay him for).

I found this interesting:
Quote:
None of the top executives involved in the NHL’s contract negotiations will continue to be paid if the league enacts a lockout next week.

Donald Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Players’ Association, says he stopped drawing a salary on July 1 and a source told The Canadian Press that commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly plan to follow suit if a new agreement can’t be reached by Sept. 15.
More: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...during-lockout

Old
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Bettman has been around longer than a significant portion of the current owners. There has to be an aspect of Bettman telling the owners how it's going to be.

Only
Philadelphia: Ed Snyder
Boston: Jeremy Jacobs
Detroit: Mike Ilitch

have been in charge of their NHL team since before 2/1/94.

I won't count Chicago, because although the team has remained in the Wirtz family, Rocky compared to his dad is a drastic change in philosophy.

I also wouldn't count Calgary, since Hotchkiss died, although the team has stayed in the same ownership group.

3 ****ing owners have been around longer than Bettman.

Ilitch would probably be the one of those three who could possibly be swayed to replace the commissioner, and that would carry tremendous influence, although Jacobs is Chairman of the Board of Govenors, and Bettman's favoritism towards the Bruins may not be blatantly transparent enough to offend him.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old
10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't understand the conversation about replacement players.

The NHL holds itself up as the premier league in the world (which it is, except for a new ECHL team that raises that league's standing significantly)

Where would these scabs come from? The IIHF wouldn't like sudden poaching, nor would those players like it when the CBA is signed, and they end up getting released. Bettman would have to go, as I don't think the IIHF would ever want to work with him again if he so grievously broke the rules that they both live by.

Everyone sent down to the AHL is under NHL contract, and AHL, ECHL, and CenHL players have their own union, the PHPA.

Besides breaking existing player unions, where would these guys come from? The FHL, UHL, and SPHL? How are they in any way adequate? I've seen a good number of SPHL games when the Seals were around, and those guys had a hard time making a complete pass. They play at those levels for a reason, and it ain't because there's just not enough spots in the NHL, despite what the coaches and managers will tell them. It's because they aren't good enough for the spots that do exist. (a few exceptions may apply, but that's always the case)

We also saw how well NFL fans took to replacement referees, so imagine how well hockey fans will take to 700 replacement players.

Actually, they might be a match for current NHL referees. Anyone know if the NHLOA got locked out, and were replaced with scabs without anyone noticing?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-08-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old
10-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Random fact: Gary Bettman isn't always seen at NHL games because he turns the light off in his office and hides beneth his desk.

And when he's caught in a hallway or the lunchroom, he plays dead.

The man really doesn't want to see hockey games played.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:43 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...rogram/1256004
Quote:
A lockout has the NHL season on hold, but Lightning owner Jeff Vinik said Thursday the team's Community Hero program will continue whether games are played or not. Last season, the organization at each of 41 home games honored a "grass roots community hero" and donated $50,000 to his or her charity. During the lockout, the program will continue on days the Lightning was to play at the Tampa Bay Times Forum (the home opener was supposed to be Tuesday) but will happen at the site of the charity, Vinik said. "We feel strongly — the Lightning and my wife and myself — about being committed to this community," he said of the program that will distribute $2.05 million. "It's the right thing to do."