HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM
  #1
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Hockey advice

Hello , I'm a 15 year old High School Freshman looking to play hockey again after a long time away from playing. I played hockey for 6 years until I was 10 years old and I stopped playing because of monetary reasons. I am looking into playing hockey for my high school in the near future. My high school is a Division III Massachusetts school so I am not looking to play in a high caliber level, but I need to get back in playing shape. I'm very slender for my age. I am 5'5 , and 85 lbs . I am 15.5% body fat which is in the average spectrum. My problem is I need to work out and build muscle mass. I am looking for advice for off ice training to help get back into the sport. I am obviously going to sit this year out because in my opinion I am not in shape enough to play this year, but I will play next year if I can meet my goals. So please help me with advice on how to improve muscle mass in upper body and legs, and how to improve my stick handling, shooting, and awareness of the ice. I am also looking for ideas to improve my diet as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Watch for the Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:31 PM
  #2
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,342
vCash: 500
School Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
Hello , I'm a 15 year old High School Freshman looking to play hockey again after a long time away from playing. I played hockey for 6 years until I was 10 years old and I stopped playing because of monetary reasons. I am looking into playing hockey for my high school in the near future. My high school is a Division III Massachusetts school so I am not looking to play in a high caliber level, but I need to get back in playing shape. I'm very slender for my age. I am 5'5 , and 85 lbs . I am 15.5% body fat which is in the average spectrum. My problem is I need to work out and build muscle mass. I am looking for advice for off ice training to help get back into the sport. I am obviously going to sit this year out because in my opinion I am not in shape enough to play this year, but I will play next year if I can meet my goals. So please help me with advice on how to improve muscle mass in upper body and legs, and how to improve my stick handling, shooting, and awareness of the ice. I am also looking for ideas to improve my diet as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Discuss your situation with the hockey coach or coaches at your high school and the Phys Ed teacher(s) as well.

Good luck.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
  #3
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Discuss your situation with the hockey coach or coaches at your high school and the Phys Ed teacher(s) as well.

Good luck.
My school is in a co-op with another school so my hockey coach doesn't teach at my house unfourtanetly.

Watch for the Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:38 PM
  #4
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong
 
Topshelf8188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,992
vCash: 500
I went through a situation almost exactly like this, except for the diet part. Play house league if you are going to sit out a year, and do powerskating in the summer. Also, don't give up ever. I'm on my phone and could type a novel to you about this lol, if you ever wanna talk shoot me a PM.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
  #5
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
i'm not a nutrition expert but i've done this recently myself with great fat loss results- just eat real food and your body fat will drop for sure.

i actually went wheat free and it's the best lifestyle choice i've made. you can still eat potatoes, corn, rice, starchy vegetables etc for a carb source. eat a lot of good sources of protein- eggs, cottage cheese, meats (white mean) etc...
also stick to healthy sources of fat.

eat alot of vegetables, and 2-3 servings of fruit/day.

if a person eats clean like this it's almost impossible not to be fit. you'll be growing so eat alot, but eat, good, clean, healthy food.

trust me, your tastes will change, so this diet might be hard for the first week or two only.

as for the workout, work on developing your entire body. i don't think you should fixate on hockey-specific exercises if you don't have a good base. working out is a long story, and you might want to go to a good fitness forum on the web

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:13 AM
  #6
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
i'm not a nutrition expert but i've done this recently myself with great fat loss results- just eat real food and your body fat will drop for sure.

i actually went wheat free and it's the best lifestyle choice i've made. you can still eat potatoes, corn, rice, starchy vegetables etc for a carb source. eat a lot of good sources of protein- eggs, cottage cheese, meats (white mean) etc...
also stick to healthy sources of fat.

eat alot of vegetables, and 2-3 servings of fruit/day.

if a person eats clean like this it's almost impossible not to be fit. you'll be growing so eat alot, but eat, good, clean, healthy food.

trust me, your tastes will change, so this diet might be hard for the first week or two only.

as for the workout, work on developing your entire body. i don't think you should fixate on hockey-specific exercises if you don't have a good base. working out is a long story, and you might want to go to a good fitness forum on the web
I'm only 85 lbs and I'm 5'5" I'm not looking to lose weight. Instead I would like to either grow a little bit on my 15.5% body fat or keep it the way it is. I'm looking for a diet that will help me gain weight.

Watch for the Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:16 AM
  #7
Dylbot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
Well there's protein and weightlifting, but I'm no expert.

Given your age and size it sounds like you might just have to give it time for your body to mature. I was pretty scrawny until I was 19ish when my body just started naturally adding muscle.

At your age there is definitely such a thing as working out too much. Perhaps you should consult a personal trainer/physician on what to do/not do.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
  #8
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,316
vCash: 500
Wow, 85 pounds is extremely slim, even at 5'5. I'd have a hard time believing you're 15.5% body fat though at that weight! At my absolute skinniest (after having mono for two months) I was 5'8 and 130 pounds and I was around 10% body fat and little muscle.

Can you tolerate milk? If you drink a gallon of whole milk every day in addition to your food that should up your weight. Doing a simple weightlifting routine like Starting Strength would be good for someone who needs to add lots of body weight. At the very least doing bodyweight exercises like lunges, pushups, jump squats, etc would be better than nothing.

And then just play as much as you can, get a stick and a golf ball or stickhandling ball, do USA hockey drills in the basement or garage, play road hockey with friends, play shinny with friends, get on the ice as much as possible to work on your skating...it all goes a long way.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.