HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
There are three(3) listed on the CIS Composite Schedule

Thu. Oct. 4th vs SFX (at home)

Sat. Oct. 6th vs Holy Cross (NCAA-Atlantic Hockey Conf.)
Sun. Oct. 7th at Sacred Heart (NCAA-Atlantic Hockey Conf.)
Thanks.

Surprised they don't have any in September. UNB has 4.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
rantfather

State of the union update re Men's hockey at STU

The GOOD,the Bad and the ugly!

THE GOOD,
A terrific young Man Troy Ryan is now in charge of Men's hockey but remains handicapped from previous Coaching A/D leadership who will remain unnamed.

The BAD,,
It has come to light that years of mispending and OVERGENEROUS stipends has left the program suffering resulting in thousands of dollars being cut from the program and down grading of the second coaching position.

THE UGLY,
Now what's wrong with this picture?????

The very person who Orchestrated this entire mess continues in charge of athletics and NOT only men's hockey has been affected.

Some possible solutions could be the following:

Cancel and renegotiate ALL over ever generous quantums negotiated by the previous leadership as any more years of this leadership will.surely do permanent damage.it should be clear by now that current problems are as a result of allowing an untrained man to be placed in this position WITHOUT the benefit of a public competition where the best candidate would be discovered.

Cancel(surplus) the A /D's position and use a committe of qualified people as a steering committe until the position could be filled by a qualified candidate and use the $$$ saved to put back into the various programs cut.

The optics of allowing the author of such a situation to continue is NOT good.

Last edited by rantfather: 09-28-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
rantfather

State of the union update re Men's hockey at STU

[FONT="Arial"][/FONT

See above posting.

FYI
Surplusing a position is a defensible management tool either out of financial necessity and or re-Org and so can be accomplished without legal.consequences.

Last edited by rantfather: 09-28-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old
09-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Island Husky

OMG,....unbelievable Sir, unbelievable, won't use names but I haven't heard of such propoganda since a certain country in WWII.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:54 AM
cishockeyfan

I'm not convinced on Troy Ryan yet. as a Coach and Person I am great Guy, smart guy and obviously had the team doing better than expected last season with the talent he was giving and the Tommies more disciplined than they have been in years.

But as a Recruiter??? With the key loses STU has from last Years Team, What has Troy Ryan brought in this season to not just improve the team but to even replace the departed? While the names he has brought in are good, their isn't enough of them. Look around the AUS and see what other teams have picked up, it seems the Tommies are further behind the ball this year than they were last year.

Im not saying this as a STU Hater, Im saying this as being realistic and a Hockey fan of the AUS who would like nothing more to see STU get back in the Playoffs.

Can someone sum up for me Players that are done with STU from last year and who has been brought in, maybe im plain wrong and just not seeing it on paper in front of me.

Im excited for STU to get into their new Rink, excited about the possibilities, its one thing todrag on the Eagles Legacy forever, but lets not praise Troy Ryan yet. After All Mike Eagles was named as coach of the year his first season for his turn around in the Tommies

Old
09-30-2012, 11:47 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I'm not convinced on Troy Ryan yet. as a Coach and Person I am great Guy, smart guy and obviously had the team doing better than expected last season with the talent he was giving and the Tommies more disciplined than they have been in years.

But as a Recruiter??? With the key loses STU has from last Years Team, What has Troy Ryan brought in this season to not just improve the team but to even replace the departed? While the names he has brought in are good, their isn't enough of them. Look around the AUS and see what other teams have picked up, it seems the Tommies are further behind the ball this year than they were last year.

Im not saying this as a STU Hater, Im saying this as being realistic and a Hockey fan of the AUS who would like nothing more to see STU get back in the Playoffs.

Can someone sum up for me Players that are done with STU from last year and who has been brought in, maybe im plain wrong and just not seeing it on paper in front of me.

Im excited for STU to get into their new Rink, excited about the possibilities, its one thing todrag on the Eagles Legacy forever, but lets not praise Troy Ryan yet. After All Mike Eagles was named as coach of the year his first season for his turn around in the Tommies
I have avoided this subject for a while but here you go FWIW.

We graduated, Bard Gallant and Jordan Scott up front. Matt Eagles is still on the books but will not play. We added Colin Martin from London and if he keeps his nose clean Alexander Leduc, who formerly played for Moncton.

On D we graduated Andrew Andrcopoulos and Bryan Main. Chris Van Laren decided to stay home in Kingston. The story told to me was Chris wanted to be home, that was it, no conspiracy, that easy.

So Troy has covered every spot he lost, Eagles doens't count because he still officially on the team. I would say we are probably better on D than before but tough to call until I see them play X this week. Van Laren is the "big" loss there but Levesque is the same size plus has a little more offense. Hobbs takes over easy for Crops, upgrade. Jordan Thomas has better size than Mainer but it might take him some time to adjust to the league. Stand Pat.

Upfront, Colin Martin could very well be a huge surprise offensively. In his first year he covers the points of Gallant and Scott combined. Leduc, provided Troy lets him on the team for sure, covers Eagles lost production and probably more. While we could very obviously use more offense, we actually got better.

Here is the rub. While Rantfather didn't come right out and say it, the men's program lost significant $$$$ from its budget. Troy has more to do with less. It has impacted what he is able to do and IMO a huge step back. The former Coach did not have this disadvantage, in comparison to other AUS teams, so it is amazing the current coach has kept things together as well as he has.

It is not coincidence that STU has a minimal exhibition schedule, it is a lack of funding. The part that scares me the most is I have been told that admin has imposed a roster limit on the team of 20 players. If that is the case (and I can't confirm that 100%) we have absolutely no room for error, injuries, and will need some really good luck in hopes of competing. Maybe something will change above but I certainly wish that our AD would stand the frig up and support the men's hockey team like he did when he was coach.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Rob

This is certainly bad news. Let's hope that the situation improves with the news facility.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:13 AM
rantfather

Doing MORE with Less!

Coach TROY RYAN is being asked to turn around the franchise and being given far less re$ource$ to do so as well as continue to carry TOO many over generous packages as paid by coach/A.D Eagles.

I personally corresponded with administrators of the day,who have since left about the situation and was told that STU could Not afford to compete with others in the AUS as Eagles had somehow convinced administration that it was neccessary to lavish obscene amounts on some players.
AS I had recruited many players under Coach MacAdam and personally.knew that it was NOT.necessary but required a sales job about the advantages of a STU education.

And now Coach Ryan is being penalized by current A/D Eagles who has downgraded the second coaching position and lopped.$50,000 from the budget and it is my understanding that Eagles DID NOTHING to defend thmens hockey situation which in deed be is entirely responsible for creating.

I will continue to call for the removal of this man from his position of A/D administrator as he should NEVER have been put in the position in the first place.

The man has neither appropriate background nor training and should be removed ASAP.

TROY RYAN is doing an EXCEPTIONAL job in spite of very trying conditions and I believe that corrective action must be taken after a THOROUGH investigation of"the Eagles Years"

RANTFATHER

Last edited by rantfather: 10-01-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old
10-01-2012, 02:07 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Coach TROY RYAN is being asked to turn around the franchise and being given far less re$ource$ to do so as well as continue to carry TOO many over generous packages as paid by coach/A.D Eagles.

I personally corresponded with administrators of the day,who have since left about the situation and was told that STU could Not afford to compete with others in the AUS as Eagles had somehow convinced administration that it was neccessary to lavish obscene amounts on some players.
AS I had recruited many players under Coach MacAdam and personally.knew that it was NOT.necessary but required a sales job about the advantages of a STU education.

And now Coach Ryan is being penalized by current A/D Eagles who has downgraded the second coaching position and lopped.$50,000 from the budget and it is my understanding that Eagles DID NOTHING to defend thmens hockey situation which in deed be is entirely responsible for creating.

I will continue to call for the removal of this man from his position of A/D administrator as he should NEVER have been put in the position in the first place.

The man has neither appropriate background nor training and should be removed ASAP.

TROY RYAN is doing an EXCEPTIONAL job in spite of very trying conditions and I believe that corrective action must be taken after a THOROUGH investigation of"the Eagles Years"

RANTFATHER
You attack the man for his coaching, granted the team was in the tail spin and he's not coaching anymore. NOW you attack the man because you don't like him an as AD. Get over yourself. STU has BENEFITTED with our other teams. It all just isint about hockey. Look what Mike has done as an athletic director (STU won in basketball, volleyball, moved women's rugby and cross country to CIS). He's in no part with the hockey team. Let it go, its being tiresome for years now.

Hockey wise, I hope STU does well and gets into the playoffs! I miss being a part of the team and always will be a Tommie. Just let it go Rantfather.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:59 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Could they be focusing more attention/resources towards the women's team...what with them hosting Nationals here shortly?

Old
10-01-2012, 06:13 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
I have avoided this subject for a while but here you go FWIW.

We graduated, Bard Gallant and Jordan Scott up front. Matt Eagles is still on the books but will not play. We added Colin Martin from London and if he keeps his nose clean Alexander Leduc, who formerly played for Moncton.

On D we graduated Andrew Andrcopoulos and Bryan Main. Chris Van Laren decided to stay home in Kingston. The story told to me was Chris wanted to be home, that was it, no conspiracy, that easy.

So Troy has covered every spot he lost, Eagles doens't count because he still officially on the team. I would say we are probably better on D than before but tough to call until I see them play X this week. Van Laren is the "big" loss there but Levesque is the same size plus has a little more offense. Hobbs takes over easy for Crops, upgrade. Jordan Thomas has better size than Mainer but it might take him some time to adjust to the league. Stand Pat.

Upfront, Colin Martin could very well be a huge surprise offensively. In his first year he covers the points of Gallant and Scott combined. Leduc, provided Troy lets him on the team for sure, covers Eagles lost production and probably more. While we could very obviously use more offense, we actually got better.

Here is the rub. While Rantfather didn't come right out and say it, the men's program lost significant $$$$ from its budget. Troy has more to do with less. It has impacted what he is able to do and IMO a huge step back. The former Coach did not have this disadvantage, in comparison to other AUS teams, so it is amazing the current coach has kept things together as well as he has.

It is not coincidence that STU has a minimal exhibition schedule, it is a lack of funding. The part that scares me the most is I have been told that admin has imposed a roster limit on the team of 20 players. If that is the case (and I can't confirm that 100%) we have absolutely no room for error, injuries, and will need some really good luck in hopes of competing. Maybe something will change above but I certainly wish that our AD would stand the frig up and support the men's hockey team like he did when he was coach.
Thanks for the response well said and made me open my eyes a little. I would think budget cuts would have a lot to do with putting down a million $ on the new rink as well.

I actually meant to ask how come while other teams have played numerous exhibition games and even the Canada west has started their regular season STU has yet to play an exhibition game. But you made seance of that already.

For some reason I thought the Tommie's lost a lot more players than that Erik trembly comes to mind

Old
10-01-2012, 08:23 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post

RANTFATHER
You're getting very repetitive with your arguments, and you're starting to sound like a certain guy from Mt A. Let it go...

The sales job is a very important part of the recruiting business, and always will be, but times have changed and, rather unfortunately, budgets now have a greater place in the operation of hockey teams at all levels. Like it or not, that's where we are at nowadays.

Thanks for the great post STUTOMMIES however I have one thing to add.... Starting next season, the league will impose a roster cap of 21 players, to try and control expenses and make it a more even playing field. Should be interesting to see how teams deal with this, might even stop some players from being recruited (the talented guy who always seems to get hurt...)

Old
10-01-2012, 08:32 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Thanks for the great post STUTOMMIES however I have one thing to add.... Starting next season, the league will impose a roster cap of 21 players, to try and control expenses and make it a more even playing field. Should be interesting to see how teams deal with this, might even stop some players from being recruited (the talented guy who always seems to get hurt...)
A worry that I share with Drummer is that one probably unintended consequence of the roster cap is that a lot of "bubble" or depth players from Junior A will lose out the opportunity to play AUS hockey. Many such players have worked their ways into AUS team line-ups despite being non-recruited "walk-ons" (Dion Campbell at UNB, R.D.Chisholm at StFX, etc.), but it is unlikely going forward that some coaches will give up one of their 21 skater spots for an "unproven" non-Major Junior player.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Rob

I really hope they don't end up like Mount A.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Not sure but I think the AUS cap is 21 skaters plus 3 goalies. Can anyone chime in here with some fact, the above is what I heard.

The STU imposed cap is 20 players, period. So 6 D, 12 forwards, or combination plus 2 goalies.

BTW, CISHockeyfan, I forgot about Tremblay. whoops. Not a big loss only because he didn't travel with the team, he only played home games, UNB, maybe Moncton.

Lavigne was replaced with Grohenheyde. Although I did hear that Lavigne may surface at an AUS school in Fredericton if the need arises. He has 2 years of eligibility left.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:54 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Not sure but I think the AUS cap is 21 skaters plus 3 goalies. Can anyone chime in here with some fact, the above is what I heard.
I can't find anything officially posted by the AUS, but what I heard from one team (you can probably guess which one) and an AD is 21 skaters and unlimited goalies next season.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:20 PM
gleanerguy

Mayor Brad Woodside said publicly at opening ceremonies for Grant Harvey that the STU contribution was $2 mil. Suspect that there have been some extra funds put into the women's program to make them competitive for hosting the CIS women's next year; and there were some funds devoted to the women's rugby program to play at the AUS level. If there was no corresponding increase in the athletic budget, it would mean the pie would have to be cut a little smaller for everybody. The men's hockey program, as the flagship for the school, would be the most visible example.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:22 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Mayor Brad Woodside said publicly at opening ceremonies for Grant Harvey that the STU contribution was $2 mil. Suspect that there have been some extra funds put into the women's program to make them competitive for hosting the CIS women's next year; and there were some funds devoted to the women's rugby program to play at the AUS level. If there was no corresponding increase in the athletic budget, it would mean the pie would have to be cut a little smaller for everybody. The men's hockey program, as the flagship for the school, would be the most visible example.
Here is my 2 cents.

If you contribute 2 million dollars for a place to play and if the team you put out on the ice can't compete because they are underfunded, what's the point? You have a great new arena to watch Tommies hockey but who wants to go watch loss after loss, night after night, other than me of course....and I am not saying they are going to lose this year either BTW, but if STU doesn't keep up ($$$$) with the UNB's, X's, Acadia's, then they are falling behind.

As far as the women are concerned I think it is great if they get more funding. I actually go to their games and am truly interested in seeing them do well but not at the expense of the men's team and vice versa. If people shared my opinion of women's hockey we wouldn't be having this discussion because people would show up to the games and support them in a similar fashion to the men...but they don't and they won't and no matter how hard I try or the school try's they won't change public perception of women's hockey. That takes time and will evolve over the next 50 years but people are blind to that thought, whatever.

St. Thomas, you have a new rink, a chance to become relevant again. Rebrand yourself, take advantage of this time, don't squander it away. Put the very best team on the ice that Troy Ryan can make and watch the fans come. We can get the same amount of people per game as UNB if people thought we could win. I think 1200 to 1400 people a night would put enough $$$$ in their pockets to pay for the men and subsidize the women. Everybody wins. A strong men's program at STU is needed.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
gleanerguy

Absolutely agree as a fan and sports supporter. As a university administrator though...their thinking is "Jesus, we spent $2 million on a facility....god knows how much more to outfit it with equipment, bells and whistles...that's enough." They don't see spending more to invest in the product you're presenting...they see it as "There's your new facility...now go play your games." And the $2 mil they spent on the rink is $2 mil they didn't get to spend somewhere else. These are bean counters, not hockey fans.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:33 AM
cishockeyfan

I did not know that Tremblay only played Home games, of course I never knew till after the season that STU only wore Home Uniforms last year and no longer has Road Jerseys. I'm making a safe presumption that their is no new Road Jerseys this season?

The University should have maybe only payed 1 to 1.5 Million Towards the New Rink, that 1/2 million or so extra dollars would sure go a long ways right now. After all how much is FHS contributing to have the Logos slapped on the Ice Surface (I know different situation) but still seems unfair in the grand scheme of things. Thos STU logos on the side of The Grant Harvey Center look quite sharp I must say.

Did I just hear that it was suggested Charles Lavigne may surface with another AUS Team in Fredericton if injuries happen? Is that aloud without skipping a year?

Old
10-02-2012, 06:32 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Here is my 2 cents.

If you contribute 2 million dollars for a place to play and if the team you put out on the ice can't compete because they are underfunded, what's the point? You have a great new arena to watch Tommies hockey but who wants to go watch loss after loss, night after night, other than me of course...
Exactly...I think most fans would rather see a competitive team playing at the LBR than a bad one playing a fancy new arena...the only thing that is going to bring fans consistently is winning, the whole "new arena" novelty will wear off soon enough.

How many times do you see professional sports teams complain about their arena/stadium as a reason why they don't get bigger crowds, build a brand new facility that draws decent crowds for the first year, then see attendance go right back to where it was in the following years if the product on the ice/field hasn't improved....the Miami Marlins this season instantly come to mind. At the end of the day it is all about winning.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
HockeySchools

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I did not know that Tremblay only played Home games, of course I never knew till after the season that STU only wore Home Uniforms last year and no longer has Road Jerseys. I'm making a safe presumption that their is no new Road Jerseys this season?

The University should have maybe only payed 1 to 1.5 Million Towards the New Rink, that 1/2 million or so extra dollars would sure go a long ways right now. After all how much is FHS contributing to have the Logos slapped on the Ice Surface (I know different situation) but still seems unfair in the grand scheme of things. Thos STU logos on the side of The Grant Harvey Center look quite sharp I must say.

Did I just hear that it was suggested Charles Lavigne may surface with another AUS Team in Fredericton if injuries happen? Is that aloud without skipping a year?
Lavigne is playing senior in NFLD with Mike Thomas, red shirting this season, and will play for UNB next season. That's the word around town, anyway.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:31 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Exactly...I think most fans would rather see a competitive team playing at the LBR than a bad one playing a fancy new arena...the only thing that is going to bring fans consistently is winning, the whole "new arena" novelty will wear off soon enough.

How many times do you see professional sports teams complain about their arena/stadium as a reason why they don't get bigger crowds, build a brand new facility that draws decent crowds for the first year, then see attendance go right back to where it was in the following years if the product on the ice/field hasn't improved....the Miami Marlins this season instantly come to mind. At the end of the day it is all about winning.
True story. THat was the deal here with the Kingston Frontenacs. They move out of the Memorial Center to the 5000 seat K-Rock Centre and the team still is a dissapointment and they barely draw 1800 per game

Old
10-02-2012, 09:17 PM
rantfather

Who then is responsible?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
You attack the man for his coaching, granted the team was in the tail spin and he's not coaching anymore. NOW you attack the man because you don't like him an as AD. Get over yourself. STU has BENEFITTED with our other teams. It all just isint about hockey. Look what Mike has done as an athletic director (STU won in basketball, volleyball, moved women's rugby and cross country to CIS). He's in no part with the hockey team. Let it go, its being tiresome for years now.

Hockey wise, I hope STU does well and gets into the playoffs! I miss being a part of the team and always will be a Tommie. Just let it go Rantfather.
Imagine......me believing that the A/D coach should be held accountable,WHAT WAS I THINKING ?

I will surely give my head a shake and thank.ya,ll for pointing out my spurious logic so eloquently and logically.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:50 AM
gleanerguy

But if you hold him "accountable" for the hockey team then you must also give him some credit for the men's and women's basketball programs being third in the country at the CCAA level; for the ACAA women's rugby championship and their corresponding move to the AUS; for the influx in talent in the women's hockey program and the successful bid to host CIS; for the first class facility that will house the hockey teams -- he was in daily consultation with architects and/or city officials -- for the establishment of rowing and wrestling programs at the university; for the fact that the school had 15 athletes named national scholars...we'd all like to see a more competitive men's hockey team and I think, given time, Troy Ryan will do that. But Eagles is the "athletic" director, not exclusively the men's hockey director. If you look beyond the hockey team -- which will compete hard this year and may contend -- he hasn't done a bad job.

Closed Thread