HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

WJC Squad 2012-13?

Old
09-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
Good start for Nick Sörensen in QMJHL. 3+2 in 3 games, still a longshot to be on this team i guess?

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Good start for Nick Sörensen in QMJHL. 3+2 in 3 games, still a longshot to be on this team i guess?
Odds are against him but he definitely has a chance if he plays really well the next few months.

I also think E. Lindholm will be a top six player on this team.

Last edited by Huffman: 09-30-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:08 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Rakell - Zibanejad - Åberg
Collberg - Karlsson - Forsberg
Nyström - Lindholm - Arvidsson
De La Rose - Molin - Burakovsky

Klefbom - Brodin
Lindholm - Byström
Nilsson - Wikstrand

no need for soft hardworing players like boyce, nermark, rask etc.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:23 AM
Hockeyfrilla

I think both Boyce and Rask are locks. Both are returning players and Rask was one of the best FW in Lake Placid.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 10-01-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Huffman

The players who made the team last year will almost certainly make this years team too.

Rakell - Karlsson - Zibanejad
Collberg - Lindholm - Forsberg
Åberg - Boyce - Görtz
De La Rose - Molin - Arvidsson
Burakovsky

Some really good players are going to be left out any way you put it. The D is easier to predict if Brodin and Lindholm become available. Not sure about Byström, I could see Djoos taking his spot.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post

Åberg - Boyce - Görtz
De La Rose - Molin - Arvidsson
Burakovsky
Molin instead of Rask. Motivate?

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 10-01-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Molin instead of Rask. Motivate?
oops, forgot about him.

Åberg - Rask - Görtz
De La Rose - Boyce - Arvidsson
Burakovsky/Molin

Old
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
joe89

Have not been impressed with Burakovsky so far in Allsvenskan. I don't see him making it this year when we have so many other guys already playing bigger roles there and even in Elitserien. I don't think having de la Rose on a 4th line, or making it as extra forward, would be such a long-shot though.

Right now I have it something like:
Forsberg-Lindholm-Zibanejad
Collberg-Karlsson-Rakell
Åberg-Rask-Görtz
Wennberg-Boyce-de la Rose

Arvidsson, Lundberg, Molin and Nyström are knocking on the door. Sörensen & Sundqvist dark horses.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:41 AM
helicecopter

i don't get why everyone is putting Boyce there like he is a lock.

He could very well be there again, but i'd hope for more discernement by the coach.
I know he plays a role and is supposed to be a good room guy, but he is a very average player and there must be someone better for that role.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post

He could very well be there again, but i'd hope for more discernement by the coach.
I know he plays a role and is supposed to be a good room guy, but he is a very average player and there must be someone better for that role.
I agree. Rönnberg doesn't seem like a guy who cares too much about returnees, either.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post

I don't see him as a lock(no 4th liner is ever a lock), but as a probable. How many guys looking to make the team are playing more than Boyce in Elitserien? Karlsson, Klefbom.. maybe Lindholm as of late. For a young guy he's very polished and knows his role. It's nice to have a couple of "what you see is what you get" types on your team, especially as he's a returnee.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Huffman

Boyce is not a very flashy player to say the least but he can skate and he is willing to work his butt off on a checking line, he also brings a lot of experience from playing on the national teams. He is simply the safest option and I think he is the kind of player Rönnberg likes.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I don't see him as a lock(no 4th liner is ever a lock), but as a probable. How many guys looking to make the team are playing more than Boyce in Elitserien? Karlsson, Klefbom.. maybe Lindholm as of late. For a young guy he's very polished and knows his role. It's nice to have a couple of "what you see is what you get" types on your team, especially as he's a returnee.
The SEL TOI for Boyce really speaks in his advantage. Boyce has averaged 13.42, as of my calculations Arvidsson isnt far behind with 13.06. Karlsson stands out with 15.57.

What can we expect from the squad going to Sundsvall? About 90% of the Sundsvall squad making it to the final WJC squad? The tourneys where Ronnberg selects 50% non-locks should all be behind us by now, right?

B.t.w. Im heading to Sundsvall to see some of the games. Any other HF forumites headed to Sundsvall?

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:50 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
The SEL TOI for Boyce really speaks in his advantage. Boyce has averaged 13.42, as of my calculations Arvidsson isnt far behind with 13.06. Karlsson stands out with 15.57.

What can we expect from the squad going to Sundsvall? About 90% of the Sundsvall squad making it to the final WJC squad? The tourneys where Ronnberg selects 50% non-locks should all be behind us by now, right?

B.t.w. Im heading to Sundsvall to see some of the games. Any other HF forumites headed to Sundsvall?
I took the time to look up last year.
- 18 guys(included both Åberg and Boyce in that calculation) on the November squad made the WJC last year.
- Sundström was also on the November squad initially but got injured so he couldn't play there.
- Brodin was called to play with Tre Kronor in Karjala Cup instead.
- Out of those on the November squad, Johan Alm as the 8th D was cut to make room for a third goaltender(Johan Mattsson), Gunnarsson was cut for Brodin. On forward, Lillieström-Karlsson, Mannberg, Nermark and Pa. Vesterholm were cut to make room for Sundström, Rakell, Rask and Rensfeldt.

Considering a third goaltender had to be added, Brodin was with Tre Kronor, Sundström was injured, and Rakell, Rask and Rensfeldt were in North America(all five likely to make the team) it was pretty much as close to the WJC squad as it possibly could've gotten.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:12 PM
joe89

Assuming they go with 2G, 8D, 13F like last year I think the squad in Sundsvall could be:

Lundström
Lassinantti

Klefbom
Vikstrand
Nilsson
Djoos
Andersson
Byström
Arnesson
Nielsen

Forsberg
Collberg
Karlsson
Åberg
Lindholm
Görtz
Boyce
Arvidsson
Wennberg
Molin
Lundberg
Nyström
de la Rose

There's so many possible forwards though I could count all day. We've got incredible depth at forward.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
I took the time to look up last year.
- 18 guys(included both Åberg and Boyce in that calculation) on the November squad made the WJC last year.
- Sundström was also on the November squad initially but got injured so he couldn't play there.
- Brodin was called to play with Tre Kronor in Karjala Cup instead.
- Out of those on the November squad, Johan Alm as the 8th D was cut to make room for a third goaltender(Johan Mattsson), Gunnarsson was cut for Brodin. On forward, Lillieström-Karlsson, Mannberg, Nermark and Pa. Vesterholm were cut to make room for Sundström, Rakell, Rask and Rensfeldt.

Considering a third goaltender had to be added, Brodin was with Tre Kronor, Sundström was injured, and Rakell, Rask and Rensfeldt were in North America(all five likely to make the team) it was pretty much as close to the WJC squad as it possibly could've gotten.
Thanks for checking that. So, about 80-85% of the november squad made it last year then. Btw, among the guys that were cut after november, many were selected as non non-travelling reserves for WJC last year. I recall Alm & Gunnarsson were. It seems like, by november, the management usually has narrowed it down to say 26-27 names, roughly, that are still in the run. If your name aint there, you better either be a lock playing in NA, be assigned to the national A-team or have some kind of not-that-overly serious scratch.
Or you are out.

I know there's usually great variety in the speculations just before they release the final WJC squad. But given the relationship between the november squad and the final squad, all speculations about fringe players that are not in the november squad, seem rather useless. When it comes to fringe players, they must be in by november, or they are out. More or less. Injuries or monster performances in late november are then what is left "to hope for", for those who are cut in november.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
joe89

Right now I've got around 35 possibles in total myself. They probably have a much better picture of where guys fit in, if they are suited for a 4th line and so on. For me there's still one spot in goal to be battled out, 2-4 spots on defense(depends on Brodin and Lindholm), and maybe 3-4 up front. The squad selection is getting more interesting each year because of the massive increase in depth.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:11 AM
mikjo344

Quote:
Assuming they go with 2G, 8D, 13F like last year I think the squad in Sundsvall could be:

Lundström
Lassinantti
What are Ullmark's chances of making the final WJC squad? He's been putting up great numbers in Mora (small sample though) but lacks experience against international competition.

mikjo344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Howe Elbows 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjo344 View Post
What are Ullmark's chances of making the final WJC squad? He's been putting up great numbers in Mora (small sample though) but lacks experience against international competition.
Unless Rönnberg has something against Linus, he should definitely be on the radar. I personally don't think the goalie spots are locked down this early and although Mora has a strong enough team that you shouldn't focus on just stats, Ullmark's strong play should not be ignored.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:58 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjo344 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
Unless Rönnberg has something against Linus, he should definitely be on the radar. I personally don't think the goalie spots are locked down this early and although Mora has a strong enough team that you shouldn't focus on just stats, Ullmark's strong play should not be ignored.
Ullmark is the fourth candidate for three spots, primarily competing with Lassinantti. The reason I took Lassinantti here is that he outplayed Ullmark in the last tournament in September and was the starter between the two.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Howe Elbows 9

Quote:
Ullmark is the fourth candidate for three spots, primarily competing with Lassinantti. The reason I took Lassinantti here is that he outplayed Ullmark in the last tournament in September and was the starter between the two.
Either I'm misunderstanding you or I've forgot someone:

Lundström
Lassinantti
Ullmark

ETA: Well, now I feel like a dunce for forgetting Dansk.

Last edited by Howe Elbows 9: 10-02-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:10 AM
mikjo344

Dansk...

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVaultFi..._2012-2013.PDF

mikjo344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Weide

vCash: 656
Wait? You guys mention 4-5 goalies as potential WJC candidates and no one mentions Högberg? Yes he is young, but I'd take him over any junior keeper in Sweden.

Weide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weide View Post
Wait? You guys mention 4-5 goalies as potential WJC candidates and no one mentions Högberg? Yes he is young, but I'd take him over any junior keeper in Sweden.
I don't see it. He's competing against guys who are regulars in men's hockey and he hasn't previously played with the J20 guys. Next year absolutely.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Hockeyfrilla

If Lindholm, Zibanejad, Brodin is playing AHL hockey when WJC is about to begin it must be a big chance we can use them, right? Never heard a player being stopped by a AHL team. Lehner was in AHL 10-11 but played for Sweden in WJC etc..