HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which UFA should we have signed LAST YEAR?

Old
05-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Pere Noel

vCash: 500
Which UFA should we have signed LAST YEAR?

Some of us get all excited with free agents.... but in retrospect, signing a free agent often doesn't come with that huge of a reward.

Looking back at the performances of some of those last year free agents, it appears that it is not always the best move.

For instance, many wanted Aucoin... and Gainey said that the guy was too expensive for what he would have brought...

Turned out to be more true than he must have thought...: Adrian Aucoin D 33 1 5 6 -13

I didn't want him either, and I am certainly glad we didn't sign him to that multi-year $4M contract.

One that I would have liked is Pronger (he was indeed not a free agent but became available for salary reasons). Not a bad choice in retrospect.

So now that vision is 20-20... who do you think would have been a good signing?

You will certainly find that it doesn't get as exciting after the facts And I hope it will make you appreciate even more the clever process of signing the right RFA.

--- updated august 8th 2006 ---

Just letting you know that I plan to ask the same question next year.

So maybe start answering the question right now... and see if you would have been right... and if you are to post your answer right now, then you can claim fame next year, or have to live by your prediction.

For instance, one could say, we should have signed Roenick... and maybe next year you will look like a genius... or not.

Last edited by Pere Noel: 08-08-2006 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Next year plan
Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Shabutie

The only guy I wanted was Selanne. And still go by that thought.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:32 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
The only guy I wanted was Selanne. And still go by that thought.
Yep, Selanne and Kariya

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Habitants

yeah only guy i wanted was selanne! and it would have been great, imagine he got 40 goals playong with macdonal, what could he have done with koivu!?

i still want him!

i was happy when he signed dandnault, and i expected some good play from him. he was a dissapointment most season, and i was not happy then. but he played well int he playoffs, and if he plays like that consistently then i will be happy again

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Kafka

The obvious answer: Selanne. He was near benched in Colorado and just made a huge come back.

I expect Roenick to do a similar come back next year... he didn't trained properly before last training camp, and he won't repeat that error.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 05:51 PM
hab

I was one of the only ones that thought carter would be a good player for a cheap price.... but then I also thought garon was a future star and huet had no future. I also remember I liked matvichuk, cheap and solid D man. well worth the 1.75 or whatever NJ is paying him.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Habsaku

Niedermayer, but every team in the league wanted him. Its really not a question of who should we have signed, but who was willing to sign.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:49 AM
tinyzombies

I was hoping for Hamrlik. Maybe not such a good choice in hindsight?

I thought Selanne was finished for a long time now. Obviously it would have helped to watch him in a workout to check him out. Oh well.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Salama

Send a message via AIM to Salama
I really wanted Selanne, because I figured he would play well with Koivu. Still, I thought he was unlikely to score more than 25 playing in Anaheim. Still, I was appalled that we didn't offer him more than a million.

I also remember completely reversing my opinion on Anson Carter. I wanted him, then someone on this board wrote a very convincing argument against him as a player, and I jumped on the "he's a poor man's Zednik" bandwagon.

So, 1 for 2.

For what it's worth, If we signed Huet and Pisani, and managed to deal Ribs for Brendan Morrison, I would be one happy Habs fan.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Kostitsyn/Zednik-Morrison-Kovalev
Perez-Plekanec-Pisani
Murray-Bonk-Begin

Then, if Kots works out,we could deal Zednik, or if he doesn't, we would still theoretically have nine guys capable of being 20-goalscorers (Pisani scored 18 goals in under 14 minutes a game in EDM).

I think our team's best chance is to have a group of forwards like Buffalo or Carolina. 3 good, attacking but defensively responsible forward lines who can push the tempo, and a solid 4th line.

Salama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Salama

Send a message via AIM to Salama
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
I was one of the only ones that thought carter would be a good player for a cheap price.... but then I also thought garon was a future star and huet had no future. .
I though Garon was the second coming too

Salama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Pere Noel

Responding to some of your posts.

I wanted Selanne for the longest time, I always thought that chemistry between him and Saku was fantastic... yet, last year, I thought the guy was washed out.... turned out to be sort of wrong here

It wouldn't have hurt to get his goals in the playoffs too.

At $1Million... what a bargain!

I was interested in Kariya, given the right price. Turns out he did a nice come back... but so did is paycheck at $4.5 Million.

Settling for Selanne was a better choice.

Carter at $1Million as well, is not too bad either.

Last edited by Pere Noel: 05-09-2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: I said settling for Kariya where I meant settling for Selanne as a better choice
Old
05-09-2006, 06:58 AM
wedge

Selanne.. especially after knowing that he signed for one million in anaheim.

I thought we should have offered him something like 2 250 000$.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 06:59 AM
wedge

and let's admit it... I also wanted Aucoin... most of us wanted Aucoin...

we got lucky on that one.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
mcphee

While I'm a fan of Kariya and Teemu, I think both players went to situations that attracted them. Selanne's affinity for California has been mentionned, I believe Kariya knew Nashville's style was a good fit for him. Maybe Kariya would have been a possibility here, but I don't know. My regret is more along the lines of the players dumped for the proverbail 3rd rounders to fit under the cap. Dany Markov,Matt Cullen, Colin White was rumoured. I'd like for us to be in the loop when teams decide to shed a player. Then again, a guy like Cullen, well who knew Zednik would tank and he'd break out.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Capitano

I was crying for Selanne....

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel
Responding to some of your posts.

I wanted Selanne for the longest time, I always thought that chemistry between him and Saku was fantastic... yet, last year, I thought the guy was washed out.... turned out to be sort of wrong here

It wouldn't have hurt to get his goals in the playoffs too.

At $1Million... what a bargain!
Same here. Selanne was my favourite player in the league. When I heard he might be traded from Winnipeg I was begging the hockey gods for him to come to Mtl, then he was traded to Anaheim (disapointment, reality set in). Always kept a close eye on him. Last season I knew he was injured but I didn't know how he would come back from his injury and thought maybe he had lost a step and that if it was the case it would be a disaster in Mtl. A bit wrong here for me too, but I prefer seeing myself as "cautious".

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Shabutie

Rofl, I seem to recall only The Great One and I agreeing that Selanne would be a great signing. Everyone else said he was "done". Where were all you guys when the debate took place last year?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
CaptCrunch

I admit I though Aucoin would replace.... *ahem*... Rivet.

(I was really mad at Rivet after his 2003-2004 season... he was making as much mistakes as Souray in 2005-2006)

I really wanted Ian Lapperière (I was really hot on a Lappèrrière-Begin-Laraque Line)

I wanted to go and Trade for Cole (Cole had problems in 2003-2004 when Carolina did not make the series)

I really wanted to see a Cole-Ribeiro-Ryder line.

I didn't have any plans for Selanne, Kariya... I always tend to see such players as untouchables when UFA. I don't make plans for them. I prefer to look at players that are under difficulty or lower ranking UFA and see where they would fit.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Talent Analyst

Last year , i wanted Dandenault , Selanee and Kovy . 2 of my 3 choise has been realised

I said Dandenault because of his experience, offencive aspect and he's quebecers .

Kovy because of his playoff performance

Selanee , he's very good with Koivu in olympic .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Rofl, I seem to recall only The Great One and I agreeing that Selanne would be a great signing. Everyone else said he was "done". Where were all you guys when the debate took place last year?
So you knew he got surgery and was healthier then ever in the last 10 years?

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Niedermayer
Selanne
Bondra
Satan

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:22 PM
ti-vite

Selanne
Carter would have been excellent as a #2 center in hindsight. He layecd well between the Sedin sisters, he could ahve done well between ours.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:32 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
Selanne
Carter would have been excellent as a #2 center in hindsight. He layecd well between the Sedin sisters, he could ahve done well between ours.
Carter is a winger.
And at first i want one of Selanne / Satan / Kovalev + one of Hamrlik / Aucoin + Laperriere. Really happy that we sign neither of Hamrlik, Aucoin and we choose Kovalev in the three, i still want selanne and lappy though

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
e-e

i wanted demitra...still think that he would be great in habs

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Pere Noel

Laperriere

To whom mentionned Laperriere.... definitively, he would have fit with us.