HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

what will an emergence of Rielly and Gardiner mean for Dion?

Old
10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
what will an emergence of Rielly and Gardiner mean for Dion?

if Mo Riles and Gardz become really good do you trade Dion? do you play him on the 2nd line? where do you see Dion when R and G come up and play to their potential? this could happen sooner than later.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
SarcazemKadri

They play very different styles. Dion will be needed as a physical presence on the first pairing. I wouldn't like 2 puck movers on the same line. I would do:

Phaneuf - Reilly
Gardiner - XXX

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

It means that Dion's point totals are probably going to go from 44 back up to 60. Dion is a physical all around defense man. Rielly and Gardiner alone will get pushed around back there. Nothing happens to Dion. He will be a leaf until his body cant play the way he currently does.

Wow our future top 3 looks fantastic.

Phaneuf Rielly
Gardiner Ranger
Finn Gunnarsson

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Wouldn't that be something? Having TOO MANY good D-men. I don't think we have to worry about that. Neither Rielly or Gardiner play the aggressive game like Dion. They aren't going to be stepping on each others' toes.

10-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I think it means Phaneuf has some other exciting offensive defensemen to play with that can help him get a higher point total.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:56 AM
416Leafer

Dion has his faults but we should keep him. Let's not forget how much prospects have been overvalued in the past (Schenn/Kadri/Tlusty/Stralman/etc). We're HOPING Rielly can become a franchise D or a top pairing D, but for all we know he will just become a 2nd pairing guy.

As for Gardiner, I think the expectations on him are that he becomes a ~#2-3 type of guy. So even if they hit expectations, it'd still be good to having another top pairing guy like Phaneuf around, especially since he's more physical than either of them. If they fall below expectations? We'll definitely want Dion. If they exceed expectations? Well we could probably still use him. For once I'd like to be a tough team to play against with a strong blueline / defensive mindset.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
ChuckWoods

It means absolutely nothing.

Burke has already expressed how he believes the game has changed for the defenceman in the new NHL.

He believes Mobility and Puck movement are at an absolute premium in this era, and he's right.

If your defensive core can beat the forecheck and outlet the puck before encountering any real danger, than you're well ahead of the play. We saw this with LA, and Detroit teams of the past.

With a current core of Dion, Gunnar and Liles able to make an effective outlet pass, and Blacker, Morgan Reilly, Matt Finn, Stuart Percy and Gardiner all potentially NHL ready over the next couple seasons, it screams of his new desire to move the puck on the back end.

Not to mention Paul Ranger who was known for being one of the best, if not the best outlet pass in the NHL when he was playing.

I've had the opportunity to see Paul on ice, and his skating is so natural and fluid, it looks as if he'll certainly be NHL ready after this season in the AHL. He'll just need some conditioning and contact to really feel at home.

IMO:

Dion - Rielly
Gardiner - Finn
Blacker/Percy - Ranger/Gunnarsson

Fantastic mobility, puck movement, stick work and defensive awareness.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

He'll have a hell of a QB for the powerplay to set him up.

Rielly and Gardiner have no impact on Dion's spot in the line-up. Totally different playing styles. Gardiner and Rielly would affect Liles' playing time more than anyone else.

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Northern Dancer

I'm confused about Ranger. Is he a FA? If he signed with Marlies does he have to go through waivers to play anywhere but Tampa Bay?

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:06 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
It means that Dion's point totals are probably going to go from 44 back up to 60. Dion is a physical all around defense man. Rielly and Gardiner alone will get pushed around back there. Nothing happens to Dion. He will be a leaf until his body cant play the way he currently does.

Phaneuf Rielly
Gardiner Ranger
Finn Gunnarsson

I am a huge fan of gunner, however, I think blacker will be able to take his spot in maybe a year or 2

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
It means absolutely nothing.

Burke has already expressed how he believes the game has changed for the defenceman in the new NHL.

He believes Mobility and Puck movement are at an absolute premium in this era, and he's right.

If your defensive core can beat the forecheck and outlet the puck before encountering any real danger, than you're well ahead of the play. We saw this with LA, and Detroit teams of the past.

With a current core of Dion, Gunnar and Liles able to make an effective outlet pass, and Blacker, Morgan Reilly, Matt Finn, Stuart Percy and Gardiner all potentially NHL ready over the next couple seasons, it screams of his new desire to move the puck on the back end.

Not to mention Paul Ranger who was known for being one of the best, if not the best outlet pass in the NHL when he was playing.

I've had the opportunity to see Paul on ice, and his skating is so natural and fluid, it looks as if he'll certainly be NHL ready after this season in the AHL. He'll just need some conditioning and contact to really feel at home.

IMO:

Dion - Rielly
Gardiner - Finn
Blacker/Percy - Ranger/Gunnarsson

Fantastic mobility, puck movement, stick work and defensive awareness.
Would love a defensive lineup like that. Still young by the time everyone makes it to the NHL and if everyone projects it could be without a weak link. Would be hard to improve that core of guys.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Phaneuf Rielly
Gardiner Ranger
Finn Gunnarsson
Why is Ranger even on here? He's not even leafs property

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
bobermay

I'm confused... Ranger isn't even that good...

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

How could this happen "sooner than later"?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:19 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post

are u kidding me, before he left, he had top 4 NHL potential. He will be a a awesome bottom pairing Dman
he has come a long way. You will see him in NHL after a month or in the AHL.

He plays good on D and has a good offensive game. You probably have not heard of ranger than

Old
10-01-2012, 09:19 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Did you watch him in Tampa?

He'll be a fantastic bottom pairing guy if he does adjust. He would have been a Top 4 at the very least if he had not left due to very personal and understandable reasons.

He's not permitted to join the Leafs with just an AHL contract, he'll have to take positive strides and earn a two-way next offseason, or potentially be signed to a new two-way deal if he impresses during the season. I am saying this because I am of the understanding that his contract is specifically an AHL contract. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the case.

The Leafs have them right in their back yard, and will keep close tabs on his play.

Could be a very good "free wallet" for them.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:20 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Niether of those players are taking Dion's spot as they play a different game. Rielly still has to make the team and what's the deal with Ranger?

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:20 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Why is Ranger even on here? He's not even leafs property

sue he is, we signed him but will play for marlies than come here

though he will have to earn a 2 way contract, which I am sure he will

Old
10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Niether of those players are taking Dion's spot as they play a different game. Rielly still has to make the team and what's the deal with Ranger?

read the 2 above posts

Old
10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Clearly you never watched him play....

As someone in the Ranger thread said, he's a richer man's Gunnarsson. That's a damn good dman.

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
SuperJayMann

It means the future looks bright. As a fan base we just need to remain patient and all the pieces will fall into place. I know we've waited a long time and patience is running thin, but for the first time in a long time we're headed in the right direction.

Ignore the haters, forgive the impatient, our cup will come.

On another note I have tickets to watch Reilly in Red Deer. November 24th, can't wait!

SuperJayMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
They play very different styles. Dion will be needed as a physical presence on the first pairing. I wouldn't like 2 puck movers on the same line. I would do:

Phaneuf - Reilly
Gardiner - XXX
Agreed. I'd also add to that the fact that Gardiner and supposedly Rielly have subpar slap shots. They both need a shooter in their pairings.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJayMann View Post
It means the future looks bright. As a fan base we just need to remain patient and all the pieces will fall into place. I know we've waited a long time and patience is running thin, but for the first time in a long time we're headed in the right direction.

Ignore the haters, forgive the impatient, our cup will come.

On another note I have tickets to watch Reilly in Red Deer. November 24th, can't wait!

I have patience just some others dont. This is the most positive comment I have heard here in a while

You are lucky. I'm sure you will see his elite offensive abillity on display

Old
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Well Gardiner is only a bottom pairing defenseman and Rielly didn't even play a full season last year. I don't think Dion will be looking over his shoulder just yet...

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Grant
LL Genius

If anything, the possible emergence of both Gardiner and Rielly means Liles is gone before his contract is up.