Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
at half time I thought the Patriots had the advantage big time after that fumble by Buffalo.

At this level- or any level and life for that matter- its so much between the ears and that was such a downer to Buffalo and a huge dodge for Patriots.

Now after the 3 and out and the Buffalo score I thought we were in serious crap.

I also thought the Canadiens would sweep the Bruins in 2011 after winning first 2 in Boston

I thought the Red Sox could play the Yankees 100 games and not win even 1 game after being down 0-3 in 2004

I had the Patriots at 1-15 in 2001 after starting 0-2 that season and 5-11 previous year

in all three situations Championships followed with weeks to 4 months
And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. - Matthew 8:26

Jesus is a New England sports fan, don't you know.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. - Matthew 8:26

Jesus is a New England sports fan, don't you know.
Where was He on the night of May 10th, 1979? Could have used a well timed bolt of light into the officials eyes so they couldn't see that 6th skater.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Strawman alert!

I'm sure everyone was worried. I'm sure no one was confident they'd absolutely win.

But when you want to be the first to scream IT'S OVAH! then deal with being called out on it.

Or did you all hate Thornton's "Suck it Felger?" Of course not.

Also, wah.
Amen.

The reactionary BS here sometimes is intolerable. I'm not sure if it's this whole "instant gratification" thing that people seem to have going on these days that leads to people flipping out with half the game left to play or not, but it's annoying as hell.

I was not happy being down at the half, but they dodged a bullet with the Wilfork fumble recovery and were getting the ball to start the 2nd half. When they went down two scores I was ticked, but I figured there was no way BUF could keep playing as sloppy as they were and NE would continue to let them off the hook. After some of the stuff I have seen Brady do in the past, was I supposed to be on the ledge with them down only 14 with 26 minutes left to play?

Much like the GDT's during the season, you have every right to go off the deep end before the game is over (even though it's not the smartest thing to do), but if the hometown boys come back...be prepared to take your medicine.

That's the way it works.

Last edited by GloryDaze4877: 10-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Where was He on the night of May 10th, 1979? Could have used a well timed bolt of light into the officials eyes so they couldn't see that 6th skater.
"There will be pain for us all, but it will not be all pain, nor will this pain be the last. We and you too, you most of all, dear boy, will have to pass through the bitter water before we reach the sweet." - Bram Stoker

Van Helsing was a fan too.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
GloryDaze4877

Different subject (and a little late), but if people didn't know ESPN's E60 news show did a feature on Rob Gronkowski last week. I DVR'd it and didn't watch it until last night, but I am sure that it's probably available online as well.

The Gronk feature was light-hearted and great, but the real reason to watch is the feature on former MLB player Ben Petrick. I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable fan, but had never heard of the Colorado Rockie prospect before last night. His story is touching and inspiring, just make sure you have some tissues handy.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
MTaylorJ1

Still not sure I love the situational offensive football they're playing. An example.

2nd offensive possession. Up 7-0. The defense had already forced a punt and intercepted a pass. The Pats are 3rd and 2 at the Buffalo 41, too long for a field goal, but not a great area of the field to be punting from either. At that point in the game, Ridley had run 3 times for 18 yards. Patriots pass and Brady throws an out pattern to Lloyd, incomplete. Punt follows. Why not run the ball there? To me with an offense as good as New England's, that's 4 down territory and you need to approach 3rd down thinking as much.

Then the possession after Buffalo ties it. The Patriots again are into Bills territory and Gostkowski has already missed a field goal, 3rd and 2 at the Bills 24. Ridley gets it to about 4th and a foot. On this drive, Ridley had been 5/31 and he's 8/49 on the game...yet another field goal attempt. Their two big backs (Ridley and Bolden) are 12/75...and they didn't think they could get a foot?

This happened in week 2 vs. Arizona as well. They had a 3rd and 2 at the Cardinals 28 in the 1st quarter, deep ball to Lloyd, incomplete, field goal.

Then 3rd and 2 at the Arizona 11. Woodhead (of all people) for no gain (when Ridley was 4/30 on the drive), field goal.

Also happened against Tennessee after they had closed to 21-10, 3rd and 2 at the Titans 40, incomplete pass to Lloyd (I don't remember the play itself, chances are it was another goofy out pattern), followed by a punt.

I could be mistaken, but when the offense used to be game efficient rather than explosive, didn't they tend to pound the ball in that area a lot more and take more chances just outside the red zone? Not even saying run the bull as much, but I feel as though 3rd and 2 used to be either shove it down your throat runs, or passing game as a running game get the ball in a WRs hands right away and let him beat one guy to the stick.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:01 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Still not sure I love the situational offensive football they're playing. An example.

2nd offensive possession. Up 7-0. The defense had already forced a punt and intercepted a pass. The Pats are 3rd and 2 at the Buffalo 41, too long for a field goal, but not a great area of the field to be punting from either. At that point in the game, Ridley had run 3 times for 18 yards. Patriots pass and Brady throws an out pattern to Lloyd, incomplete. Punt follows. Why not run the ball there? To me with an offense as good as New England's, that's 4 down territory and you need to approach 3rd down thinking as much.

Then the possession after Buffalo ties it. The Patriots again are into Bills territory and Gostkowski has already missed a field goal, 3rd and 2 at the Bills 24. Ridley gets it to about 4th and a foot. On this drive, Ridley had been 5/31 and he's 8/49 on the game...yet another field goal attempt. Their two big backs (Ridley and Bolden) are 12/75...and they didn't think they could get a foot?

This happened in week 2 vs. Arizona as well. They had a 3rd and 2 at the Cardinals 28 in the 1st quarter, deep ball to Lloyd, incomplete, field goal.

Then 3rd and 2 at the Arizona 11. Woodhead (of all people) for no gain (when Ridley was 4/30 on the drive), field goal.

Also happened against Tennessee after they had closed to 21-10, 3rd and 2 at the Titans 40, incomplete pass to Lloyd (I don't remember the play itself, chances are it was another goofy out pattern), followed by a punt.

I could be mistaken, but when the offense used to be game efficient rather than explosive, didn't they tend to pound the ball in that area a lot more and take more chances just outside the red zone? Not even saying run the bull as much, but I feel as though 3rd and 2 used to be either shove it down your throat runs, or passing game as a running game get the ball in a WRs hands right away and let him beat one guy to the stick.
The one I didn't like was when they were up 28-21 and had just basically run the ball the entire length of the field. Bolden got a first at the BUF 4, and they try the PA pass to Gronk that nearly gets picked. The next play Bolden gets the handoff goes left and carries Gilmore into the EZ for the TD.

I was like WTF McD? If BUF had picked that, it would have still been 28-21 and the Bills would have had the ball at the 20 and momentum. I think that McDaniels tries to be a little too cute at times, but if those plays that you and I both cited had worked, would we be complaining or saying McD was a genius for mixing it up?

Fine line.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:16 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
The one I didn't like was when they were up 28-21 and had just basically run the ball the entire length of the field. Bolden got a first at the BUF 4, and they try the PA pass to Gronk that nearly gets picked. The next play Bolden gets the handoff goes left and carries Gilmore into the EZ for the TD.

I was like WTF McD? If BUF had picked that, it would have still been 28-21 and the Bills would have had the ball at the 20 and momentum. I think that McDaniels tries to be a little too cute at times, but if those plays that you and I both cited had worked, would we be complaining or saying McD was a genius for mixing it up?

Fine line.
I wrote a WTF on that throw to my friend. Seriously WTF a fade, and both Gronk and (I think Fells) were in the same spot so there were 2 defenders in the area. I've always been more of a thought process over result type of person when evaluating this sort of thing. It's the reason I defended 4th and 2 (the decision to go for it), but hated the run up to the play (if you know you'll go for it on 4th and short here, why not run the ball on 3rd and 2?)

I haven't been able to find many examples through 4 games where they've been successful on 3rd and short by getting cute.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Baring any upsets, 14-2 is a layup. Just went through the remaining schedule, and didn't see any games Vegas will make them the dogs in

Old
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
I wrote a WTF on that throw to my friend. Seriously WTF a fade, and both Gronk and (I think Fells) were in the same spot so there were 2 defenders in the area. I've always been more of a thought process over result type of person when evaluating this sort of thing. It's the reason I defended 4th and 2 (the decision to go for it), but hated the run up to the play (if you know you'll go for it on 4th and short here, why not run the ball on 3rd and 2?)

I haven't been able to find many examples through 4 games where they've been successful on 3rd and short by getting cute.
I might understand it a little better if they had not had such consistent success running the ball throughout the game. The only other thing to consider is that part of the success of that running game is predicated on the Pats being so dangerous with the pass, and mixing it up. That's the only explanation I can come up with?

I will say that at the end of the day I thought it was a pretty damn impressive display. I'm not sure how good that BUF D really is, but you had the Pats much-maligned OL coming into a hostile environment (without their best player in Mankins) and facing a D-Line with Mario Williams and Pro-Bowler Kyle Williams...and the Pats just gashed them in the 2nd half, play after play, after play. The Pats had 580 total yards and two runners with a 100 yds each and two receivers with a 100 yds each, only the second time in NFL history that has happened, and they did it in roughly one half of football.

Say what you want, but that doesn't suck

Old
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I might understand it a little better if they had not had such consistent success running the ball throughout the game. The only other thing to consider is that part of the success of that running game is predicated on the Pats being so dangerous with the pass, and mixing it up. That's the only explanation I can come up with?

I will say that at the end of the day I thought it was a pretty damn impressive display. I'm not sure how good that BUF D really is, but you had the Pats much-maligned OL coming into a hostile environment (without their best player in Mankins) and facing a D-Line with Mario Williams and Pro-Bowler Kyle Williams...and the Pats just gashed them in the 2nd half, play after play, after play. The Pats had 580 total yards and two runners with a 100 yds each and two receivers with a 100 yds each, only the second time in NFL history that has happened, and they did it in roughly one half of football.

Say what you want, but that doesn't suck
Don't get me wrong, overall, love what the offense has been able to do so far. Just seems to be the one wrinkle that needs to be ironed out.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
CDJ

McDaniels over thinks himself sometimes. He is a great offensive coordinator, but he seemingly is playing chess against himself some weeks. Woodhead getting a billion more snaps than Ridley last week was absurd for instance. Woodhead should be the 4th back and should not get carries save for on draw plays or screens.

But then his offense goes and puts up 52....tough to complain.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
McDaniels over thinks himself sometimes. He is a great offensive coordinator, but he seemingly is playing chess against himself some weeks. Woodhead getting a billion more snaps than Ridley last week was absurd for instance. Woodhead should be the 4th back and should not get carries save for on draw plays or screens.

This is exactly what I take issue with. There's a fine line between calling a play that the d doesn't expect, and trying to be too cute. Sometimes, the best play call is the simplest. Stop trying to figure out what the d is going to do and out think them and just execute better and make them stop you.

An example of what I'm talking about is the dude on the Bills saying the Pats basically ran nothing more than 3 running plays yet they couldn't stop them.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:07 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Since when have Pats fans become so lacking in confidence down by 2 scores vs anyone, nevermind the Buffalo Bills?

Old
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
WBC8

Quote:

Jets put up 34 vs that pitiful defense.

McDaniels seems to overthink sometimes...I know Woodhead saw more snaps because he's a better blocker it was written somewhere vs the Ravens....

Old
10-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Since when have Pats fans become so lacking in confidence down by 2 scores vs anyone, nevermind the Buffalo Bills?
My brother was flipping out, I said dude - these are the Bills

I didn't think they'd hang 52 on them, but I didn't think it was over...espcially after the fumble Wilfork recovered...

Old
10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Jets put up 34 vs that pitiful defense.

McDaniels seems to overthink sometimes...I know Woodhead saw more snaps because he's a better blocker it was written somewhere vs the Ravens....
Jets put up 34 but they started inside the bills 30 for a couple of the td's and another was defensive.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:48 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Jets put up 34 but they started inside the bills 30 for a couple of the td's and another was defensive.
Jets actually got 48....I took those out...

Old
10-01-2012, 03:26 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Jets actually got 48....I took those out...
Mark Sanchez is a stud though

Yeah, the Bills have a porous defense. Which is ironic, considering many thought it would be among the games best (that d-line is the best if everybody is playing up to par)

Just saying, 52 points on anybody is relatively impressive though. I certainly can't complain about it.

Brandon Spikes. I cannot say enough about him. A switch flipped in him about half way through last year and now he is the guy who brings that rugged nastiness that we haven't seen on defense since Seymour was traded. Hardest hitting LB in the game? Maybe...

I am so happy he sucked in the 40 at the combine. Otherwise, he would have been a first rounder.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Gostowski does scare me though. He may not survive the season. Its like he started hanging out with Daniel Bard

Old
10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Gostowski does scare me though. He may not survive the season. Its like he started hanging out with Daniel Bard
Seriously? 3 misses all year and he's on his way out? You're not the first person to say his job is on the line today. Who is his backup, Mesko?

I am Boston Strong

Old
10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
CDJ

Gostkowski is fine. Nobody was complaining when he was drilling 50+ yarders two weeks back before his missed field goal. He has consistently been a top kicker in the NFL, and I am sure he will finish with numbers on par for his career.

Do I trust him...no. But that is only because the guy before him was damn near automatic, so people aren't used to having a mortal albeit great kicker. **** happens. Vinatieri's career wasn't all rose buds to start anyway.

Brandon Spikes nickname: "The Wood"- because he lays it, but also because of his chat roulette controversy.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Alicat
Charge!

While Gostkowski is a relative newbie compared to Vinatieri they both have a PTC avg of about 83%. Gostkowski's is 83.9 and Vinatieri's is 82.7.

Gostkowski is 10-13 and Vinatieri is 4-6 after 4 weeks.

Vinatieri is a legend around here which is why no one really criticizes him.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Gostkowski is fine. Nobody was complaining when he was drilling 50+ yarders two weeks back before his missed field goal. He has consistently been a top kicker in the NFL, and I am sure he will finish with numbers on par for his career.

Do I trust him...no. But that is only because the guy before him was damn near automatic, so people aren't used to having a mortal albeit great kicker. **** happens. Vinatieri's career wasn't all rose buds to start anyway.

Brandon Spikes nickname: "The Wood"- because he lays it, but also because of his chat roulette controversy.
that kim kardashian look alike wasn't bad looking

Old
10-01-2012, 06:38 PM
CDJ

Definitely could have been a lot worse for Brandon. LAY THE WOOD

Closed Thread