HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the lockout be advantageous for Buffalo?

Old
10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Sabresfansince1980

vCash: 500
For those able to play in Rochester it's a good thing, and there are quite a few of those guys. It's not such a good thing for the vets, as they get a year older and some might not play at all over the next year if they have kids. Maybe Vanek might be better off healing up 100%, or playing in a less physical European league. Young "vets" like Ennis that can't play in Rochester might very well develop a bad habit, or not sharpen his skills as a center the way Buffalo would hope.

We don't even know how contracts will be handled with the new CBA, and therefore which players will still be around. Too much up in the air to feel very confident, but at least rookies like Grigs, Girgs, McNabb, Pysyk, and Armia aren't going to fall a professional season behind anyone else. Not sure how much of a benefit that is though.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:08 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
I would land on the side that believes a lock-out will be beneficial to the Sabres. The benefit will not nearly be as beneficial as the last one.

If there are 30 teams. We can guess that 15 will get better and 15 will get worse. For every team loaded with young talent there are teams loaded with aging talent. Teams who have traded away young prospects to win now.

I believe that the Sabres are one of the top 10 in terms of young talent. So, it is safe to say the Sabres will improve more than about 20 other teams. With anywhere from 5-9 teams improving more than the Sabres.

Add to this that there is a chance that Buffalo can use it's financial resources more thoroughly via scouting that we could improve even more in next years draft/free agency.

With that combined I would argue that yes, the Sabres will benefit. Not like last time, but enough to see them into the playoffs that season.

EDIT: Also, the Sabres have the benefit of Rochester being close to Buffalo. I live in Denver. The Avs farm team is Erie. Logistically they will not even hold a candle to the time the coaches can spend working with youngsters.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:27 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
I would land on the side that believes a lock-out will be beneficial to the Sabres. The benefit will not nearly be as beneficial as the last one.

If there are 30 teams. We can guess that 15 will get better and 15 will get worse. For every team loaded with young talent there are teams loaded with aging talent. Teams who have traded away young prospects to win now.

I believe that the Sabres are one of the top 10 in terms of young talent. So, it is safe to say the Sabres will improve more than about 20 other teams. With anywhere from 5-9 teams improving more than the Sabres.

Add to this that there is a chance that Buffalo can use it's financial resources more thoroughly via scouting that we could improve even more in next years draft/free agency.

With that combined I would argue that yes, the Sabres will benefit. Not like last time, but enough to see them into the playoffs that season.

EDIT: Also, the Sabres have the benefit of Rochester being close to Buffalo. I live in Denver. The Avs farm team is Erie. Logistically they will not even hold a candle to the time the coaches can spend working with youngsters.
I think the analysis you've offered answers a different question: will the Sabres be a better team next season than this one? But whether losing a season itself will help the team more than playing it would is a different question.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:20 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I think the analysis you've offered answers a different question: will the Sabres be a better team next season than this one? But whether losing a season itself will help the team more than playing it would is a different question.
Well that is probably true. I am not certain that not playing this year will make the actual team any better. In fact, the lack of TOI together will more than likely result in them not being as good together than if they had played together.

But on the other side, will this team be more competitive the year following the lock out versus the competition I would say yes.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.dirtydangle.com/2012/07/w...tery-look.html

I wonder if this would help since the Sabres had a bunch of ping pong balls last time and they ended up with the 13th pick. LOL

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote