HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-30-2012, 10:48 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Barch is a moron

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:11 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

I like Barch already. I like writing though. I like that he tried to write something good and elegant.

I wrote my own blog post on the lockout, and I think it's probably the best thing I've ever written. Writing is my favorite hobby and somewhat of a passion to me.

It can be among the most cathartic and therapeutic things you can do. I don't blame Barch for doing it. Not saying his logic is all there, but he tried. Good on him.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:30 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Toews vs. Kovalchuk poll going in the Poll Section.

I admittedly said it was a tough call but in the end had to go with Kovy.
kovy, for me. no question.

although i will say, toews doesnt get the credit he deserves, being part of the young crop in chitown

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Kovalchuk, no question? Toews has developed into an elite two-way center who is now a PPG guy. He dominates the ice when he's out there.

I think I take Toews.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

For the Devils? I'd have to disagree.

Toews is the more complete player, I don't think that's without question.

But we have so many forwards who are good on both sides of the puck (Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Josefson, Zubrus) - that we really need someone who is just going to fire away at the net.

A Devils team with Toews and no Kovalchuk would have a lot of sweet passing... but this team needs those Kovy one-timers.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
For the Devils? I'd have to disagree.

Toews is the more complete player, I don't think that's without question.

But we have so many forwards who are good on both sides of the puck (Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Josefson, Zubrus) - that we really need someone who is just going to fire away at the net.

A Devils team with Toews and no Kovalchuk would have a lot of sweet passing... but this team needs those Kovy one-timers.
Perhaps, but it's hard to predict how the make up of this team will look in two years. Toews is also a lot younger.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Stan Fischler ‏@StanFischler
I'll be emceeing the Lou Lamoriello Roast -- a benefit -- on November 7 at the Yogi Berra Museum. I'm gold that Yogi will be there.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
CerebralGenesis

I'd take Toews

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Toews is one of the best centres in the world

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Kovalchuk, no question? Toews has developed into an elite two-way center who is now a PPG guy. He dominates the ice when he's out there.

I think I take Toews.
yep, for me, no question. kovy is also a PPG player, locked into a friendly cap hit, who can kill penalties just as easily as he can score on the PP. especialyl with our new assistant coach, who i think will utilize kovy better than ever.

the main reason i take kovy though has nothing to do with stat sheets (gasp!) he's a team first, warrior type of player. that, coupled with his natural abilities makes him quite a rare gem.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
yep, for me, no question. kovy is also a PPG player, locked into a friendly cap hit, who can kill penalties just as easily as he can score on the PP. especialyl with our new assistant coach, who i think will utilize kovy better than ever.

the main reason i take kovy though has nothing to do with stat sheets (gasp!) he's a team first, warrior type of player. that, coupled with his natural abilities makes him quite a rare gem.
While I appreciate Kovalchuk's new found defensive game, he's still nowhere near the level of Toews in that respect.

Toews is probably one of the five most complete players in the NHL.

And the reason I don't like arguments like the "team first, he's a warrior" type is because every Chicago fan would say the same thing about Toews. What exactly are we proving?

Old
10-01-2012, 10:26 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
While I appreciate Kovalchuk's new found defensive game, he's still nowhere near the level of Toews in that respect.

Toews is probably one of the five most complete players in the NHL.

And the reason I don't like arguments like the "team first, he's a warrior" type is because every Chicago fan would say the same thing about Toews. What exactly are we proving?
i dont want him to be as defensive as toews. plus, youre comparing a center to a wing, the latter has much less defensive responsibility. put kovy on a line with zajac, and youre set. we dont need 2 zajacs on the same line. as nice as that sounds, our GF totals would dip.

also- 1)i couldn't care less what chicago fans think, not sure of that statement's relevance and 2) not out to prove anything to anyone. toews and kovy are 2 great players, and any team would be lucky to have either. my preference is kovy, yours is someone else.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Toews is awesome.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
i dont want him to be as defensive as toews. plus, youre comparing a center to a wing, the latter has much less defensive responsibility. put kovy on a line with zajac, and youre set. we dont need 2 zajacs on the same line. as nice as that sounds, our GF totals would dip.

also- 1)i couldn't care less what chicago fans think, not sure of that statement's relevance and 2) not out to prove anything to anyone. toews and kovy are 2 great players, and any team would be lucky to have either. my preference is kovy, yours is someone else.
Two Zajacs? You're really underselling Toews.

Toews has posted similar offensive statistics as Kovalchuk the last three seasons while playing a more premium position and affecting the defensive side of the puck more.

Lest we forget that Toews is also five years younger than Kovalchuk. While Kovy possesses the offensive skillset to be productive well into his 30s, he's out of his peak offensive years and probably won't be posting 50g and 95p ever again.

The offensive gap between Kovalchuk and Toews isn't very big. It's probable, over the next five years, that Toews will outproduce Kovy.

And I made that comparison to point out that saying things like "he's got fire", "is a warrior", etc., is pretty useless when comparing two players.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:44 AM
hockeyr5

Kovy has a ton of intangibles.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Barch sounds like Mitt Romney, he should delete those tweets before Deadspin picks them up.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Two Zajacs? You're really underselling Toews.

Toews has posted similar offensive statistics as Kovalchuk the last three seasons while playing a more premium position and affecting the defensive side of the puck more.

Lest we forget that Toews is also five years younger than Kovalchuk. While Kovy possesses the offensive skillset to be productive well into his 30s, he's out of his peak offensive years and probably won't be posting 50g and 95p ever again.

The offensive gap between Kovalchuk and Toews isn't very big. It's probable, over the next five years, that Toews will outproduce Kovy.

And I made that comparison to point out that saying things like "he's got fire", "is a warrior", etc., is pretty useless when comparing two players.
toews is more like patrick kaleta. sure, hes good in his own end, and he led the league in SHG for the past 2 years, but that isnt something i want on our team.

players that are 6'3 and 230 lbs do not offensively peak until their low 30's. i honestly think kovy has yet to set his record scoring pace- the best is yet to come. players like toews are more prone to injury. plus- look at his pal patrick kane. the guy is a borderline alcoholic, and thats not something i want attributed to our players. thats what i mean when i talk about character, leadership, and being a warrior. kovalchuk exudes qualities that toews doesnt have right now. could he get them in the future? maybe. but if he does wisen up, when his contract is up, he's due for a big raise. kovy's contract takes him through retirement, which is very important.

im not going to comment further on your age comments, as that is a form of ageism and honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach to hear about. lets keep this conversation classy, ok?

Old
10-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
toews is more like patrick kaleta. sure, hes good in his own end, and he led the league in SHG for the past 2 years, but that isnt something i want on our team.

players that are 6'3 and 230 lbs do not offensively peak until their low 30's. i honestly think kovy has yet to set his record scoring pace- the best is yet to come. players like toews are more prone to injury. plus- look at his pal patrick kane. the guy is a borderline alcoholic, and thats not something i want attributed to our players. thats what i mean when i talk about character, leadership, and being a warrior. kovalchuk exudes qualities that toews doesnt have right now. could he get them in the future? maybe. but if he does wisen up, when his contract is up, he's due for a big raise. kovy's contract takes him through retirement, which is very important.

im not going to comment further on your age comments, as that is a form of ageism and honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach to hear about. lets keep this conversation classy, ok?
What a waste of space.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
What a waste of space.
oh, now he's ragging on air conditioners

Old
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:

are you freaking kidding me?

Old
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 802
I thought the world had gone crazy until I realized I was thinking of Kane vs. Kovalchuk in my head and not Toews.

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
are you freaking kidding me?
nope. toews has better defensive traits, but kaleta is significantly better in terms of offensive upside. so to me, they are a wash. i might actually give the slight edge to kaleta, only because his skating stride reminds me of a young ron tugnutt

Old
10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'd take toews over kovalchuk in a heartbeat, and that is no slight against kovy.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
elias026

Quote:
nope. toews has better defensive traits, but kaleta is significantly better in terms of offensive upside. so to me, they are a wash. i might actually give the slight edge to kaleta, only because his skating stride reminds me of a young ron tugnutt
at first i thought you were serious but when you compare skating with a player and a goalie then its a joke. If not then here are there career stats since you think Kaleta is better

Kaleta GP 267 G 26 A 24 pts 50
Toews gp 361 g 144 A180 pts324

elias026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Rofl.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote