HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) III

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 10:38 PM
RJQuack

vCash: 500
All these posts about how ready he is and we'll (other teams) be regretting not taking him.... I'm not gonna tell you Drouin is ready for the NHL after a 5 point night that JS Dea (12 points) is NHL ready

From the sounds of things he's still not playing tremendously and that goes to using his size and playing defense too... Terrific offensive player, but 11 points does not = we were wrong already

He gets those points, but he didn't look NHL ready last season...

Old
09-30-2012, 11:20 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
All these posts about how ready he is and we'll (other teams) be regretting not taking him.... I'm not gonna tell you Drouin is ready for the NHL after a 5 point night that JS Dea (12 points) is NHL ready

From the sounds of things he's still not playing tremendously and that goes to using his size and playing defense too... Terrific offensive player, but 11 points does not = we were wrong already

He gets those points, but he didn't look NHL ready last season...
Clearly does not watch him. He's never going to be a powerforward; it's not his game despite being fairly big, but he actually does backcheck and play smart positional D.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:55 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Proving he wasn't worth the drop at the draft.
Yes, because all scouts draft players hoping they'll tear up junior leagues.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Could be a steal.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You know what else scouts said? That his talent is on par with Yakupov.

What do you want him to do in the Q? Not score??? He's an offensive centerman. The fact that he is putting up a lot of points is encouraging and nothing else. I wouldn't mind seeing him play with more intensity and hopefully as he matures that part of his game comes around. Not every prospect is flawless at the age of 18-- oh right, I forgot the guy is 30, well then damnit.

Last edited by Stop Winnin: 10-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 11:18 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's 27 years old. Of course he's tearing up the Q.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's 27 years old. Of course he's tearing up the Q.
That is slanderous fabrication. He's 21, and you know it.

Grigorenko will be an elite NHL player if he wants to be.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
You know what else scouts said? That his talent is on par with Yakupov.

What do you want him to do in the Q? Not score??? He's an offensive centerman. The fact that he is putting up a lot of points is encouraging and nothing else. I wouldn't mind seeing him play with more intensity and hopefully as he matures that part of his game comes around. Not every prospect is flawless at the age of 18-- oh right, I forgot the guy is 30, well then damnit.
I think you completely missed the point of my post.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Not sure what else you're expecting him to do? It's not like he had the option of going anywhere else. Unless he wanted to try to get out of his contract and end up playing nowhere like Yakupov.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Not sure what else you're expecting him to do? It's not like he had the option of going anywhere else. Unless he wanted to try to get out of his contract and end up playing nowhere like Yakupov.
Where in any of my posts did I say anything disparaging about Grigorenko's performance? You guys are awfully defensive.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Where in any of my posts did I say anything disparaging about Grigorenko's performance? You guys are awfully defensive.
Your tone is condescending, if I speak that way about Galchenyuk, how do you think Habs fans will react?

What did you mean by your post? That Grigorenko will only be good at the junior level? Or that a players performance at the junior level shouldn't determine his draft position? I have no clue.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Your tone is condescending, if I speak that way about Galchenyuk, how do you think Habs fans will react?

What did you mean by your post? That Grigorenko will only be good at the junior level? Or that a players performance at the junior level shouldn't determine his draft position? I have no clue.
His point, I believe was Grigerenko has proven no one wrong that he shouldn't have dropped yet. Tearing up the Q doesn't change much, NHL scouts/GMs knew the kid can score in juniors.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Huh? KHL is nowhere?

Old
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Huh? KHL is nowhere?
You are insanely defensive and it's very annoying. He was referring to the fact with the contract dispute with Sarnia not releasing Yakupov and Yakupov literally playing no where while that was going on as he wasn't allowed to. Stop interpreting everything as Russia bashing.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
You are insanely defensive and it's very annoying. He was referring to the fact with the contract dispute with Sarnia not releasing Yakupov and Yakupov literally playing no where while that was going on as he wasn't allowed to. Stop interpreting everything as Russia bashing.
ok now, take a deep breath ... relax

I know what he meant. Irrelevant of what he meant to say, mentioning Yakupov missing 2 games in KHL is a very poor argument.

Of course Grigorenko could use developement at a higher lever. He would be much better off in any serious adult league right now, his jr. stats speak for themselves. Not to mention the competition in Q is weakest of CHL as well. What exactly is he going to learn there this year that he doesn't already know how to do?

It's like when Grachev did very well in OHL, but he should've spent the year at least in the AHL instead of developing bad habits (such as relying on his size to producie instead of positioning and technique).

Old
10-01-2012, 01:23 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
That is slanderous fabrication. He's 21, and you know it.

Grigorenko will be an elite NHL player if he wants to be.
He's actually 14.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Maybe one of these days your boy will too.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Maybe one of these days your boy will too.
From what I've been hearing, Galchenyuk has been dominant in all aspects of the game, with little to no support from his linemates and a nearly abysmal Sarnia team. He will be fine.

Back to Grigorenko, anybody has any kind of reliable info about his age? Is the controversy actually based on any firm basis or has it been shattered already?

Old
10-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I don't get to watch much of the Q but wow...Grigs is off to a FLYER. Is he playing dominantly?

I remember watching a few games in October-November last year and was convinced he'd go #2 and then everything just fell apart.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:45 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't get to watch much of the Q but wow...Grigs is off to a FLYER. Is he playing dominantly?

I remember watching a few games in October-November last year and was convinced he'd go #2 and then everything just fell apart.
He comes and goes. In order for him to dominate games more, he'll need to be a bit more intense in the corners and work on his foot speed.

One thing I can say, however, is that even in his so-so games thus far, he does create scoring opportunities out of nowhere. His vision and ability to make tape-to-tape passes is definitely as good as any other drafted prospect as far as I'm concerned.

I see a lot of Kopitar in Grigorenko. If he fills out his body and gets that added intensity, he could very well be the same player. The vision is there, he has a good shot and he has displayed a very good two-way game in his first four games, positioning is definitely not a problem with this guy.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 10-01-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old
10-01-2012, 03:58 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
vision and ability to make tape-to-tape passes
That is what stood out to me at rookie camp during the scrimmages. Really high level vision and passing. Uncanny.

Quote:
I see a lot of Kopitar in Grigorenko.
Funny you mention that. That is the exact comparison I have in mind with Grigorenko. If he can turn out something like Anze I would be thrilled.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 10-02-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
From what I've been hearing, Galchenyuk has been dominant in all aspects of the game, with little to no support from his linemates and a nearly abysmal Sarnia team. He will be fine.

Back to Grigorenko, anybody has any kind of reliable info about his age? Is the controversy actually based on any firm basis or has it been shattered already?
The age thing was a bunch of hogwash, from what I understand. I think one of the russian posters here would be more precise, but from what I remember the kid has gotten questions about it for the longest of times, ever since he was 6-8 years old, since he was not only bigger but displayed an advanced touch with the Russian language. That being said, considering how well he learned English since he got to North America, it could be possible that he has a natural gift for languages? I dunno.

On a side note, I like how Galchenyuk gets all the little things, he drives the net well and he does have a nice skill set. If I were to base my opinion off the little I've seen of him (unfortunately, I can't find full games), I would say that he will be an excellent player, but I'm not sure if I see a dominant offensive force at the NHL level. That being said, I will reserve judgement because I had not seen him up to that point, and it is likely that he is still getting back into the flow of things. I do expect him to put up some nice numbers, maybe a pacing of around 85-95 points, based on what my fellow Habs fans are saying. Help or no help, if he's as good as they say then I think that kind of pace is reasonable to expect considering his pedigree and the hype surrounding him.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
The age thing was a bunch of hogwash, from what I understand. I think one of the russian posters here would be more precise, but from what I remember the kid has gotten questions about it for the longest of times, ever since he was 6-8 years old, since he was not only bigger but displayed an advanced touch with the Russian language. That being said, considering how well he learned English since he got to North America, it could be possible that he has a natural gift for languages? I dunno.

On a side note, I like how Galchenyuk gets all the little things, he drives the net well and he does have a nice skill set. If I were to base my opinion off the little I've seen of him (unfortunately, I can't find full games), I would say that he will be an excellent player, but I'm not sure if I see a dominant offensive force at the NHL level. That being said, I will reserve judgement because I had not seen him up to that point, and it is likely that he is still getting back into the flow of things. I do expect him to put up some nice numbers, maybe a pacing of around 85-95 points, based on what my fellow Habs fans are saying. Help or no help, if he's as good as they say then I think that kind of pace is reasonable to expect considering his pedigree and the hype surrounding him.
Thanks for the info.

As for Galchenyuk, I agree with your assessment, it's pretty much the way I see it as well. The fact he has the potential to do it all (Toews-like) makes me think he might settle as a slightly less producing player than Grigs but still end up the better player because of all the elements he brings in his game. I still see Grigs as the most "elite" of the two, but strictly on the offensive side of things.

One thing for sure though, both youngsters will be compared to one another for a long time!

Old
10-01-2012, 06:46 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
That is what stood out to me at rookie camp during the scrimmages. Really high level vision and passing. Uncanny.

Funny you mention that. That is the exact comparison I have in mind with Grigorenko. If you can turn out something like Anze I would be thrilled.
Joe Thornton imho.

Old
10-01-2012, 07:38 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Joe Thornton imho.
Close, but I do think Grigorenko is more willing to use his shot.

Closed Thread