HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top 6 Winger to Washington

Old
09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
thecapsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio View Post
what would you guys give up for hemsky

Hemsky is overpaid and isn't what the top line needs, personally I think Forsberg who we already have is perfect for the Top line, so would David Backes or Rick Nash if they were available, or at least a player who plays a similar game with a similar production level as the not exactly the same styles that they play

thecapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:32 PM
thecapsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You know the player has scored 30 goals 3 consecutive time ? He has the ability to take on a game completely.
It wouldn't be a bad idea not a great one either if bourque hadn't decided that it was right to give Backie a cheap shot.

thecapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:09 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I don't think that is an issue.

It's not the players that decide who play's for their team.
And team chemistry as never, ever factored into making trading decisions. You'd have to be brain-dead to believe that there'd be no animosity between current players and the guy who sidelined Backstrom for half a season, and got away with a relative slap on the wrist.

EDIT: Plus they never really beat him up real good (because they can't fight), so someone would probably either do something drastic, or they'd just stand around hopeless watching him steal Jeff Schultz and Mike Green's lunch money and shoes.

Last edited by HTFN: 09-30-2012 at 12:16 AM.
HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 04:24 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsfan View Post
I don't think Havlat has anything significant to bring to our top line that isn't within the skillset/abillities of Backstrom or Ovechkin or both that would seriously improve that line.
I think Ovechkin would thrive playing with two players that can hang on to the puck and create, like when he played with Kozlov. It would also allow Ovie to not have to carry the puck into the zone and challenge the defence 1-on-2 every time. Ovie could also try and get open more, a lot like Stamkos, without the puck as much on his stick.

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
I think Ovechkin would thrive playing with two players that can hang on to the puck and create, like when he played with Kozlov. It would also allow Ovie to not have to carry the puck into the zone and challenge the defence 1-on-2 every time. Ovie could also try and get open more, a lot like Stamkos, without the puck as much on his stick.
i think you are not reading some hockey basics.

1. ovechkin is a wing. the center plays down low in the defensive zone and the breakout pass is often a cross ice pass from right defense to left wing and left defense to right wing. when that pass goes to ovechkin the alternative is to not breakout and extend.

2. stamkos is a center. his wings, st louis being the best of them, carry the puck and stamkos catches up to the play.

3. if you put a puck carrying, pass first wing on the rw to play with ovechkin and his puck carrying, pass first center, who goes to the net to create traffic and pot rebounds? who chases the missed shots and battles in the corner to regain possession?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:33 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

1. ovechkin is a wing. the center plays down low in the defensive zone and the breakout pass is often a cross ice pass from right defense to left wing and left defense to right wing. when that pass goes to ovechkin the alternative is to not breakout and extend.

2. stamkos is a center. his wings, st louis being the best of them, carry the puck and stamkos catches up to the play.

3. if you put a puck carrying, pass first wing on the rw to play with ovechkin and his puck carrying, pass first center, who goes to the net to create traffic and pot rebounds? who chases the missed shots and battles in the corner to regain possession?
Wow, really?? he is?? How did I miss that?
Don't you think Ovechkin has taken it more upon himself to carry the puck because he has felt like is only he who can do it/does it best? The same goes with the defense, don't you think they're looking to set him up more because he has been the best at it. Havlat could relieve him of that pressure?

Regarding the "get open and not being so posession-depending" I meant when they've established play in the offensive zone. thus kind of like Stamkos do.

Yeah, that can never work, it sure didn't when pass-first Kozlov was his RW. Oh wait, wasn't those two years Ovechkin's highest points seasons?
Kozlov (.59 pts/game, 63% of pts-total was assists) vs. Havlat (.81 pts/game, 60% of pts-total was assists)

But I'm sure you know best as always!

Old
10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
txpd

do you honestly think that havlat is even as good as nicklas backstrom at carrying and moving the puck? when you say, "Don't you think Ovechkin has taken it more upon himself to carry the puck because he has felt like is only he who can do it/does it best?", you are effectively saying that ovechkin has no confidence in backstrom and thats ridiculous.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
MW6

Quote:

Quote:
do you honestly think that havlat is even as good as nicklas backstrom at carrying and moving the puck? when you say, "Don't you think Ovechkin has taken it more upon himself to carry the puck because he has felt like is only he who can do it/does it best?", you are effectively saying that ovechkin has no confidence in backstrom and thats ridiculous.
Backstrom is a center. his wings carry the puck and Backstrom catches up to the play. On the opposite wing the last 3 years Ovechkin has had Knuble and Brouwer for aprox 75-80 % (if not more) of the time, non of them are puck-carriers. That's what I'm saying!

Old
10-01-2012, 01:24 PM
rockinghockey

Havlat would be a waste to get.

WAS does not want to give up the assets that it would take to get a legit top 6 winger.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Havlat would be a waste to get.

WAS does not want to give up the assets that it would take to get a legit top 6 winger.
We did get Ribeiro for 2nd and Eakin. We have Galiev and next year's second.
Iggy, Morrow, Clowe, Gagne, Ryder?
Would like to hear some input from SJS fans on Clowe to Caps scenario.

Last edited by fedfed: 10-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Not happening for futures. The team is still in a win-now mode. Team has too many defensemen and does not really need a goalie. They could use more speed and depth but not at the cost of a major winger downgrade (so no Chimera proposals thanks).

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
Backstrom is a center. his wings carry the puck and Backstrom catches up to the play. On the opposite wing the last 3 years Ovechkin has had Knuble and Brouwer for aprox 75-80 % (if not more) of the time, non of them are puck-carriers. That's what I'm saying!
If Oates feels that Ovi needs a puck carrier on his line he'll just slot Johansson at 1RW. There is no need to acquire Havlat or anyone else.

For me a big problem with out 1st line transition game is Ovechkin himself. He barely helps out defensively, so his linemates tend to be end up too deep in our zone. On the other hand the opposing defensemen never leave him alone to jump into the play. As a result, once Ovi receives the outlet pass he is usually 1v2 defensemen, with his linemates way behind the play.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:15 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What's the point? The price is never high enough for Oilers fans.
Because we actually watch the Oilers play as opposed to simply looking at overall stats, so we know who's good and who's not

It's why HF thinks Eberle > Hall yet the vast majority of Oiler fans think the exact opposite

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I think a deal structured around Johansson and Marleau is more plausible, honestly. We don't have movable assets for a guy like Clowe, but Marleau's ability to play both wing and center would create the option to move MoJo.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Clarke Macarthur + 3rd Round Pick for Marcus Johansson + 4th round pick?

10-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Keep dreaming.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Keep dreaming.
Oh how Macarthur is looked down upon

Also awesome avatar and name, made me burst out laughing.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Not a chance.

Quote:
Marcus Johansson is six years younger and has been in the league for only two seasons, yet his 46 points last season outscored MacArthur and would be good for the second best in Mac's career. Not to mention he's currently the Caps' best bet as a long term solution at second line center (Ribeiro's contract expires after this season) and is currently slotted in as a top six winger. Trading him for MacArthur would not only fail to fill the vacancy in the Caps' top six (as it would just change MoJo to Mac), but it would open up a hole at the 2C spot in the future.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Brutal.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:

It's not a knock on MacArthur. This poster explained everything pretty well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe
Marcus Johansson is six years younger and has been in the league for only two seasons, yet his 46 points last season outscored MacArthur and would be good for the second best in Mac's career. Not to mention he's currently the Caps' best bet as a long term solution at second line center (Ribeiro's contract expires after this season) and is currently slotted in as a top six winger. Trading him for MacArthur would not only fail to fill the vacancy in the Caps' top six (as it would just change MoJo to Mac), but it would open up a hole at the 2C spot in the future.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Rangers View Post
I'm just wondering, why is Wolski so hated? 5th team in 2 years, and he's not even that bad. I didn't think he was that bad in NY, I was surprised when he passed through waivers unclaimed. And now a 600k deal. The only other 1st round picks I see in this kind of situation are Zack Kassian and Daigle.
Tends to be inconsistent, has a reputation for being lazy, and he really doesn't have a good engine. Classic case of a high-skill guy lacking in a lot of the other facets of the game.

I think his main problem, however, is his mental make-up. It seems that he can't sustain his strong play with the same team over more than a couple of seasons. And I don't know what you were watching, but Wolski was mostly invisible for the Rangers in his short stint last year, and didn't really do much the previous year. Certainly didn't score enough to make up for his shortcomings.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
txpd

Quote:

the 3rd and 4th are basically a wash. please make your case for why clarke macarther for marcus johansson even up is a good move for the capitals?

Old
10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Sergei Kostitsyn for a (good) 2nd pairing D?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
And team chemistry as never, ever factored into making trading decisions. You'd have to be brain-dead to believe that there'd be no animosity between current players and the guy who sidelined Backstrom for half a season, and got away with a relative slap on the wrist.

EDIT: Plus they never really beat him up real good (because they can't fight), so someone would probably either do something drastic, or they'd just stand around hopeless watching him steal Jeff Schultz and Mike Green's lunch money and shoes.
Those people are not kids man... They're profesional.. **** happens on the ice it's fast paced..

Pacioretty had one of the worst cheap shot in recent history and doesnt really hold a grudge over it...

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn for a (good) 2nd pairing D?
We don't have any of those to spare... unless you think Jeff Schultz can regain his +50 form...