HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2012, 08:09 PM
DJ Spinoza

vCash: 500
East End Nunkin is my favorite of the pumpkin beers.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:09 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
So I had a few cans of Guinness Draught this weekend. Was pretty good I thought.

Will probably have a few bottles of Weihenstephaner later.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:01 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

This past week...

Bought the last 4 bottles of Southern Tier Imperial Pumking ale the store had.

Also got a bottle of Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale.

And a 4pk of Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

Had more nightlife fun than beer fun this week, although they went hand in hand on Thursday and Friday.

Drove up to Omaha, Nebraska to check in on my 86 year old grandfather, who has been in the hospital since the week before. Anyway, he was doing much better when I got there on Thursday so some of us ended up doing a proper send off (i.e. dinner, drinks, then a trip to the allnude strip club) for my cousin that is getting deployed to Afghanistan (went to Texas on Friday, Afghanistan in December). I was on 3hrs of sleep, was on a long drive up all day, and drank too much...so I was a little miffed that somehow no one made it clear to me that it is touch almost anywhere in the vip room...had a great time regardless, but now I feel like I need to go back and redeem myself...or get my money's worth...

Then went to huge Oktoberfest party on Friday night. So much fun. Paulaner has a helluva good Oktoberfest brew. So busy, had to double-fist in each tent or it would take way too long to get another. Ended up going to the Paulaner, Warsteiner, and Spaten tents, also into the big tent with a live German band (complete with accordion, tuba, etc.) which I tried to coerce into playing some Scorpions or Accept to no avail.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 09-24-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old
09-27-2012, 05:43 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Finallly tried some Weihenstephaner Dunkel on monday night.

Was beyond delicious. Will probably have my two bottles of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier with dinner tonight.

Old
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
This past week...

Bought the last 4 bottles of Southern Tier Imperial Pumking ale the store had.
So you're the reason I can't find Pumking anywhere?

Old
09-28-2012, 04:22 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
So you're the reason I can't find Pumking anywhere?

Old
09-29-2012, 02:57 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Had entirely too much of a good time at some Belgian themed bars last night.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:01 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Stocked right up on beer last night. I got myself two cases of Samuel Adams Boston Lager, and an 8 pack of Guinness Draught in cans. Plus I got a six pack of Heineken and a six pack of Stella Artois for a friend in addition to two Stella Artois gift packs that came with one bottle of Stella and a branded chalice that look like this.

Stella Artois is meh for me but for a price of $7 per giftpack I couldn't say no to the chalice. Plus I know my friend likes Stella Artois so for him, getting one of the giftpacks was an appreciated treat.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:29 PM
JTG

I had no idea that Pumking was $100 a case.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Sounds right. 22oz bottles are about $8/bottle out here. What's the price in Pittsburgh?

P.S. Had Pumking and the Great Pumpkin recently and I still think GP is better. It has a lot of the same notes, but it's more subdued.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Sounds right. 22oz bottles are about $8/bottle out here. What's the price in Pittsburgh?

P.S. Had Pumking and the Great Pumpkin recently and I still think GP is better. It has a lot of the same notes, but it's more subdued.
$8?!?!? $13-15 a bomber here.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yep I made that mistake last year. Bought 2 cases because I was so pumped because the year before it was very limited and sold out quickly. Got to the register and they said 220 and I was too excited to care. Walked the cases out to my car and was like "holy **** I just dropped 200 on beer".

This year Pumking is everywhere so I just bought 1 at Whole Foods and called it a day. I may buy another 1 or 2 later on but I'm certainly not in the hurry I was last year.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Pumking is 8.99 in Cleveland so I would imagine it's the same in the burgh.

Who makes Great Pumpkin? I am a huge Pumking fan but am always into trying new pumpkin beers.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
cassius

apparently Southern Tier brewery is only about 160 miles away from Pittsburgh

aka time to round up some bros and make a road trip up there, asap

Old
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post

Who makes Great Pumpkin? I am a huge Pumking fan but am always into trying new pumpkin beers.
As I said above, I've only seen it for $13-15 around here at bottle shops so hearing that low other places is surprising to me.

Cambridge Brewing, Elysian Brewing, and Heavy Seas all make one called "Great Pumpkin".

Old
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
apparently Southern Tier brewery is only about 160 miles away from Pittsburgh

aka time to round up some bros and make a road trip up there, asap
Yup I'm down for a trip haha

Old
10-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
As I said above, I've only seen it for $13-15 around here at bottle shops so hearing that low other places is surprising to me.

Cambridge Brewing, Elysian Brewing, and Heavy Seas all make one called "Great Pumpkin".
Wow that's insanity. I guess it has to do with not being able to buy beer in grocery stores. That is quite a mark-up if it's 13-15 a bottle. I haven't seen it above 9 in Cleveland and that includes wine and specialty beer shops and Whole Foods.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:48 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Wow that's insanity. I guess it has to do with not being able to buy beer in grocery stores. That is quite a mark-up if it's 13-15 a bottle. I haven't seen it above 9 in Cleveland and that includes wine and specialty beer shops and Whole Foods.
A case of 22s is only 12 bottles, if you didn't know, which go for $95-105 (from what I've heard). That means they're selling individual bottles for not much more than they are per beer in a case. The mark up per bottle here is about standard for bottle shops.

By the way, you can buy beer in a handful of grocery stores here now. Giant Eagle Market District actually has some of the best selections/prices in the area.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
A case of 22s is only 12 bottles, if you didn't know, which go for $95-105 (from what I've heard). That means they're selling individual bottles for not much more than they are per beer in a case. The mark up per bottle here is about standard for bottle shops.

By the way, you can buy beer in a handful of grocery stores here now. Giant Eagle Market District actually has some of the best selections/prices in the area.
I'm well aware that a case is only 12 bottles. In Ohio, there isn't any discount for buying the case itself on beers like that so it's 8.99 a bottle or 108 a case for Pumking (this was at a wine/specialty store). Honestly, I've never seen a case of Pumking at a beer distributor anyway (although those aren't very popular here since we buy 12 packs and cases in grocery stores). Not many people are buying cases of 22 oz bottles so 13-15 is a huge markup compared to 9 dollars.

I wasn't aware that you could buy beer in groceries stores there now. How does that work? I know with the Whole Foods they just built in Wexford that they had to create a "pub" in the store so they could get around the alcohol laws and they sell six packs out of the pub. Is that similar to what you are referring to?

Old
10-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'm well aware that a case is only 12 bottles. In Ohio, there isn't any discount for buying the case itself on beers like that so it's 8.99 a bottle or 108 a case for Pumking (this was at a wine/specialty store). Honestly, I've never seen a case of Pumking at a beer distributor anyway (although those aren't very popular here since we buy 12 packs and cases in grocery stores). Not many people are buying cases of 22 oz bottles so 13-15 is a huge markup compared to 9 dollars.

I wasn't aware that you could buy beer in groceries stores there now. How does that work? I know with the Whole Foods they just built in Wexford that they had to create a "pub" in the store so they could get around the alcohol laws and they sell six packs out of the pub. Is that similar to what you are referring to?
ya they have a little corner that serves as a restaurant where you can by ready to eat food. They've had the ready to eat food there for a while, but now they have tables set up. That is the key difference I guess. You can eat and drink in that part of the store. Or you can just buy beer and leave. I've never seen anyone eating there.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
ya they have a little corner that serves as a restaurant where you can by ready to eat food. They've had the ready to eat food there for a while, but now they have tables set up. That is the key difference I guess. You can eat and drink in that part of the store. Or you can just buy beer and leave. I've never seen anyone eating there.
That's what I thought. I'm not sure why it took them so long to figure that out as an option to sell beer.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Mr. T

Quote:

Elysian is the brand I'm referencing. They make a lot of quality beer. Pretty much anything they brew is worth a taste.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but apparently they have a distribution presence in Pittsburgh. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.elysianbrewing.com/distribution.html

Old
10-01-2012, 09:29 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

...I pay 5 and change per.22 oz of Pumking.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Retrocity

Giant Eagle was selling Pumking for $7.99 a bottle, pretty sure it was/is cheaper than last year. I got 4 bottles before they sold out at the Settler's Ridge location.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Elysian is the brand I'm referencing. They make a lot of quality beer. Pretty much anything they brew is worth a taste.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but apparently they have a distribution presence in Pittsburgh. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.elysianbrewing.com/distribution.html
Good deal thanks.

Closed Thread