HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yannick Weber

Old
10-01-2012, 12:15 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
pretty much every D who played in the league last season gained a year of experience... you know.
But the Habs had one (if not the) most inexperienced defense in the league. Subban aging 1 year is good for the Habs. Chara aging one year is bad for the Bruins. See?

Our only key defensemen older than 28 is Markov, and he's back so unless he twists some body part or gets sliced by another skate he's going to be there at the very least.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Andy

Not a fan.

Weber, Kaberle, Diaz, St.Denis and Boullion are all fighting for 2 spots. Kaberle is more or less guarenteed for one of them. Diaz and St.Denis were much better than Weber last year. I don't like Boullion, but he too is better then Weber. Unless Weber improves 100 fold for next season, he's the odd man out. Add to the fact that Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis are not that far away, Weber's days are numbered.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Not a fan.

Weber, Kaberle, Diaz, St.Denis and Boullion are all fighting for 2 spots. Kaberle is more or less guarenteed for one of them. Diaz and St.Denis were much better than Weber last year. I don't like Boullion, but he too is better then Weber. Unless Weber improves 100 fold for next season, he's the odd man out. Add to the fact that Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis are not that far away, Weber's days are numbered.
for all we know, they could be 3 or 4 years away from the big leaguand one or two of em could not make it at all... wouldnt be a first to see someone dominating in lesser leagues not making the NHL...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Not this again. Have we learned nothing about sacking our defensive depth?

First off, St-Denis belongs in Hamilton. If we need to call him up, fine, but don't pencil him in as a # 7 or even a # 8. If he plays significant games in Montreal again this year, the team is in massive amounts of trouble.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having 8 defensemen on the roster. Nothing at all. Room for everyone. It means two guys have to get scratched each night on the rare occasion that everyone is healthy. Big deal. Weber, Diaz and Bouillon can take turns in the pressbox, and I wouldn't be shocked if Emelin earns a few nights off with sophomore mistakes.

Diaz and Weber are the same size and weight and had nearly identical stats last year. Diaz is 26, Weber is 24. Why everyone is willing to just write off the 24 year old and trade him for scraps is mind boggling to me. No one knows who will end up better or have the better career. Keep them both.

And Weber brings something that Diaz doesn't have (yet). A shot. Only 15 defensemen in the entire league scored more PP goals than Weber last year. That means 20 teams in the league who didn't have anyone on their roster who could score more from the blueline than Weber.

You don't give up on that. Keep him. Why is it such a strange concept to think that a 24 year old with only 109 games of NHL experience might actually get better?
funny thing is (and I dont think Weber is a top 4 D) most saying we should get rid of him, praising career AHLers like St Denis or 26 years old rookie Diaz, wants to see the Habd rebuild...

Old
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Andy

Quote:
funny thing is (and I dont think Weber is a top 4 D) most saying we should get rid of him, praising career AHLers like St Denis or 26 years old rookie Diaz, wants to see the Habd rebuild...
The thing is that career ahler St.Denis and 26 year old Diaz were better than Weber was last...significantly better. Weber was bad to plain brutal on most nights. He had the odd string of good games here and there, but was just painful to watch the majority of the time.

His time is definitely running out.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Its not really funny. I'd rather see an effective 26 year old defensemen on the team than a terrible 23 year old that has shown little to no improvement over the last 3 years.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:46 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its not really funny. I'd rather see an effective 26 year old defensemen on the team than a terrible 23 year old that has shown little to no improvement over the last 3 years.
same here... thing is, we're talking about 7th D, so effective may not be the right word

Old
10-02-2012, 06:47 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
The thing is that career ahler St.Denis and 26 year old Diaz were better than Weber was last...significantly better. Weber was bad to plain brutal on most nights. He had the odd string of good games here and there, but was just painful to watch the majority of the time.

His time is definitely running out.
we should try Diaz and St Denis at forward to see how good they are

Old
10-02-2012, 07:36 AM
MXD

Quote:
That would mean having a lesser D-Men holding a D-Men spot in the lineup (Weber), thus isn't a suggested course of action. There's probably no room for Yannic Weber at this point, because Kaberle is pretty much granted a roster spot.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That would mean having a lesser D-Men holding a D-Men spot in the lineup (Weber), thus isn't a suggested course of action. There's probably no room for Yannic Weber at this point, because Kaberle is pretty much granted a roster spot.
if anything, needing a better player to hold the 7th D spot is a sign... and not a good one.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Andy

Quote:
Why should the habs put better defenseman at the forward position? Weber doesn't play because he hasn't been good. He's lucky he still has a powerplay reputation because if he didn't, Weber wouldn't even have played forward either. They only had him in the lineup for the second wave, which he was terrible on because he has zero poise.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:46 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Not a fan.

Kaberle is not fighting for a spot. Emelin should be in that group more-so than Kaberle.

Bouillon is probably guaranteed the 6th-7th spot, or else I don't think he would have signed here so quickly.

Diaz has likely won his spot as well and Emelin, Diaz, and Bouillon will all sub in and out frequently.

I read an article that says Montreal doesn't want to expose St-Denis to waivers, but we'd need to make a trade if he were to stay up.

Quote:
Why should the habs put better defenseman at the forward position? Weber doesn't play because he hasn't been good. He's lucky he still has a powerplay reputation because if he didn't, Weber wouldn't even have played forward either. They only had him in the lineup for the second wave, which he was terrible on because he has zero poise.
The funny thing about Weber is that he scores more playing forward than he does when he plays defense. The other funny thing is that he scores more playing forward than half of our fowards.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Joe Cole

A small, D who skates ok, but not perfect, that is over matched in the defensive end by all except the least physical of all opponents, who has a great shot, but never seems to find a set up pass worth one timing....

I cannot see why a fan of the TEAM would want him on the every day roster.

I can totally understand why someone would have been excited by his first few games as a Hab. The fact that he did not earn a full time spot, and necessitated coaches and GM's acquiring/giving ice time to Campoli, Diaz, Emelin, St-Denis and Kaberle says more than anything a fan of Weber can come up with.

Maybe he will blossom, but the truth on the ice is that he has not arrived as a full time top 6. Hoping he will does not mean he has.

Let him compete for it.

The truth is a team with Campoli, Diaz, Emelin, St-Denis, Kaberle and Weber is not a team with strong D. It was a deficiency last year, and it remains this year.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Kaberle is not fighting for a spot. Emelin should be in that group more-so than Kaberle.

Bouillon is probably guaranteed the 6th-7th spot, or else I don't think he would have signed here so quickly.

Diaz has likely won his spot as well and Emelin, Diaz, and Bouillon will all sub in and out frequently.

I read an article that says Montreal doesn't want to expose St-Denis to waivers, but we'd need to make a trade if he were to stay up.

The funny thing about Weber is that he scores more playing forward than he does when he plays defense. The other funny thing is that he scores more playing forward than half of our fowards.
I have already assumed Emelin in the top 4 with Markov, Subban and Gorges. Like I said and you agreed with...Kaberle has his spot more or less cemented. Diaz, St.Denis and Boullion are all better d-men than Weber....and by that I mean they are all more competent on the defensive side of the game. The last thing the habs need is Weber to be playing with Kaberle.

I don't care if Weber scores more as a forward...we need him to play defense. With Kaberle, Subban and Markov, the habs are more or less well-off when it comes to the offensive side of the defensive game. However, outside or Gorges, Subban and to a certain extent Markov...the defensive side of the Habs defense is serverely lacking. I just don't see any room for Weber, he's redundant. He also couldn't solidify his place in the lineup last year when Spacek, Campoli and Gill were injured and the habs had a defense composed of Diaz, Emelin, Weber, Gorges, Subban and St.Denis for a string of games. He got his spot taken away by two players who never even played on NA consistently before last year.

He just hasn't been good enough to play consistently. He handles the puck like a grenade, lacks poise and his decision making is just too slow at the nhl level. Sure he's 23, but ****, how much longer do we have to wait? I see very little progression on the defensive aspect of his game in the last three years.

With St.Denis, Boullion, Diaz and Kaberle all crowding the bottom 6 and with Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis progressing nicely, Weber is definitely behind the 8 ball and is starting to fall to the numbers game. I would move him while he still has a little value, rather than just have him rot in the press-box because he hasn't been good enough to beat out anyone else for a spot.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:11 PM
ElTailR

Weber scored 2 goals tonight in the 3-2 OT win for Geneve-Servette against Lugano.
He scored the 1-2 and the 3-2. Both in PP (The OT goal was on a 6-3 PP, McSorley took off the goalie, he's kind of crazy)

ElTailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTailR View Post
Weber scored 2 goals tonight in the 3-2 OT win for Geneve-Servette against Lugano.
He scored the 1-2 and the 3-2. Both in PP (The OT goal was on a 6-3 PP, McSorley took off the goalie, he's kind of crazy)
Lugano is as good as the Bruins, right?

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 10-02-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
dcyhabs

Playing in a lower league may be what Weber needs. Well, plus some speed and/or muscle. He was great in junior.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTailR View Post
That's awesome.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
That was a while ago and it might just have been a lucky streak. He shot a couple times and it actually went in. He could have hit the post or missed just one more time and you wouldn't be here making that comment.

I'll grant that he looked poised that one time but otherwise he's failed to established himself on the team even if he had opportunities. With a depleted defense like we had last season he should have been able to show us he belonged.

Of our entire defense only Gorges and Subban were really untouchable. Gill, great as he was on the PK, was dangerously over the hill and got traded halfway trough. Spacek&Kaberle couldn't be seriously relied upon. Markov was at the hospital. Campoli was so bad it was embarassing. Then you had a pair of rookies (Diaz&Emelin) who had to adjust to north american hockey.

Weber should have been able to prove the org that Campoli wasn't necessary. That one of Diaz or Emelin could have started the year in Hamilton. He should have earned more PP time instead of wasting it (sure he scored a few goal but there was no chemistry within the unit).

Sometimes the coaches are wrong in not having more confidence in young players and end up giving them less ice time than they deserved but Weber never proved that this was the case with him. He had a great opportunity and blew it. It doesn't mean his career is over of course, its just not looking that great atm.

He wasnt just good on offense in the playoffs, he was solid all-around.

He got oportunities at the start of the season and he was good, then he got a bad streak, and he got shifted to the stand and benched.

He's got a whole lot of potential. Let him develop. or trade him and let him thrive on another team.

And don't tell me Randy Cunneyworth wasnt retarded. He kept on playing Campoli when Weber is 31233023023 times better than him.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:20 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I have already assumed Emelin in the top 4 with Markov, Subban and Gorges. Like I said and you agreed with...Kaberle has his spot more or less cemented. Diaz, St.Denis and Boullion are all better d-men than Weber....and by that I mean they are all more competent on the defensive side of the game. The last thing the habs need is Weber to be playing with Kaberle.

I don't care if Weber scores more as a forward...we need him to play defense. With Kaberle, Subban and Markov, the habs are more or less well-off when it comes to the offensive side of the defensive game. However, outside or Gorges, Subban and to a certain extent Markov...the defensive side of the Habs defense is serverely lacking. I just don't see any room for Weber, he's redundant. He also couldn't solidify his place in the lineup last year when Spacek, Campoli and Gill were injured and the habs had a defense composed of Diaz, Emelin, Weber, Gorges, Subban and St.Denis for a string of games. He got his spot taken away by two players who never even played on NA consistently before last year.

He just hasn't been good enough to play consistently. He handles the puck like a grenade, lacks poise and his decision making is just too slow at the nhl level. Sure he's 23, but ****, how much longer do we have to wait? I see very little progression on the defensive aspect of his game in the last three years.

With St.Denis, Boullion, Diaz and Kaberle all crowding the bottom 6 and with Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis progressing nicely, Weber is definitely behind the 8 ball and is starting to fall to the numbers game. I would move him while he still has a little value, rather than just have him rot in the press-box because he hasn't been good enough to beat out anyone else for a spot.
seeing how much praises 26 years old ALHer St-Denis gets, as well as our 26 years old 7th D Diaz... think we could wait another two or three years

with JM playing him on the 4th line or have him a healthy scratch more often than not, it shouldnt be a surprise to anyone he hasnt progressed much... the opposite would have been a miracle. Besides, in those 3 years, I dont remember anyone from the coaching staff saying they're trying to work with him to better his defensive game or something... with the amount of ex-D hired by MB since last summer, he should get all the help he needs to round up his game.

you're talking about guys who have yet to play a pro game in their life... they all have potential, but let's wait and see how they fare against men...

Old
10-03-2012, 01:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He wasnt just good on offense in the playoffs, he was solid all-around.

He got oportunities at the start of the season and he was good, then he got a bad streak, and he got shifted to the stand and benched.

He's got a whole lot of potential. Let him develop. or trade him and let him thrive on another team.

And don't tell me Randy Cunneyworth wasnt retarded. He kept on playing Campoli when Weber is 31233023023 times better than him.
Better or not shouldnt have mattered, when you're guaranteed not to make the PO (pts), you play your 23 years old who NEEDS the ice time to develop, not the guy you're going to lose in 2 months to UFA...

Old
10-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Et le But

I do find it interesting how making the NHL early warps peoples opinions on players.

You have people already writing off Weber and Eller, at least offensively, while it's assumed that Diaz, St. Denis, Emelin and Desharnais, as rookies, are assumed to have untapped potential despite being in their physical prime and playing the game longer, even if it's at different levels.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:16 AM
MXD

Quote:
seeing how much praises 26 years old ALHer St-Denis gets, as well as our 26 years old 7th D Diaz... think we could wait another two or three years

Well, they were better than Weber, so...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
And Weber brings something that Diaz doesn't have (yet). A shot.
And Diaz brings something that Weber hasn't yet. Defense.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Why does Weber always perform great except when playing for the Habs?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote