HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dustin Byfuglien On His Weight

Old
09-29-2012, 12:23 PM
bunjay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
first of all you can say muscle weighs more than fat, the same way you can say lead weighs more than aluminum, because your comparing them periodically. Also, technically weight is a measure of volume so 100lbs of muscle would weigh more than 100lbs of fat because they're 2 different units of measurement (lbs is not a unit for measuring wieght).
Weight is a measurement of mass, not volume. 100lbs of muscle weighs exactly the same amount as 100lbs of fat. Of course lbs is a measurement of weight.

Surprised that so many people here would fail a most basic grade 6 science test.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I wonder what's going to happen when he retires.

That's pretty scary.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:08 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Wedding picture looks suspect. His face looks like a balloon. There were some unflattering court pics earlier in the summer. Have to wait and see what he looks like on the ice and more importantly how he plays.

Edit - I see the original was shopped. I was thinking, holy ****.... what happened to Buff?

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:15 PM
JumboThornton92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Weight is a measurement of mass, not volume. 100lbs of muscle weighs exactly the same amount as 100lbs of fat. Of course lbs is a measurement of weight.

Surprised that so many people here would fail a most basic grade 6 science test.
Its like that old joke, what weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:09 PM
capebretoncanadien

That shopped picture is freaking hilarious couldn't stop laughing. Now my new background.

On another note Seabrook's haircut looks a bit overstyled no?

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:09 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post

yeah so am I... weight is a measurement of force, not mass. lbs is a measurement of mass not weight, weight is measured in newtons.

Its amazing how naive some people are. The irony in your post is hilarious.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 04:05 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
yeah so am I... weight is a measurement of force, not mass. lbs is a measurement of mass not weight, weight is measured in newtons.

You said weight is a measure of volume, which it is not, it is a measure of force, a result of gravity and mass. Since on Earth, gravity is relatively constant, we can use weight and mass "interchangeably".

100 pounds of muscle weighs the exact same as 100 lbs of fat when you fix the force of gravity.

For you you say that weight is a measure of volume would indeed lead you to fail a sixth grade science test.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
You said weight is a measure of volume, which it is not, it is a measure of force, a result of gravity and mass. Since on Earth, gravity is relatively constant, we can use weight and mass "interchangeably".

100 pounds of muscle weighs the exact same as 100 lbs of fat when you fix the force of gravity.

For you you say that weight is a measure of volume would indeed lead you to fail a sixth grade science test.
Where in the post that you just quoted, did I say that weight was a measure of volume? My exact words were "weight is a measure of force" also you can use whatever you want "interchangeably" but any way you try and twist it I am still right.

theoretically you cant say that 100 pounds of muscle weighs the same as 100 lbs of fat, so don't try and twist in different scenarios for that either.

If you were referring to my first post, then that's the one you should have quoted, I also apologize because I had had my fair share of beer before I posted that evening.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Please tell me this pissing match is over and that we can now resume our efforts to make fun of Buffy.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:55 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Please tell me this pissing match is over and that we can now resume our efforts to make fun of Buffy.
Buffy the hamburger Slayer?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Buffy the hamburger Slayer?

Puffy Buffy?

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Stay Buffed Marshmallow man?

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
bunjay

Quote:

You are right, of course, but outside of a physics classroom 'weight' is used to mean 'mass' and it's not wrong in the context of a measurement in which the other variable doesnt actually vary. "Weight" outside of a physics classroom is always given in terms of mass and having measured mass, you have also inherently measured the weight if you are only concerned with the force exherted at or near the earth's surface.

Grade six science sure doesnt deal with force diagrams and calculations where I'm from, though you would be expected to know the difference between density and weight (which is what so many people were getting wrong here).

Quote:
theoretically you cant say that 100 pounds of muscle weighs the same as 100 lbs of fat, so don't try and twist in different scenarios for that either.
Of course you can say that. As long as the force of gravity acting opon them is the same, 100lbs of anything has exactly the same weight as 100lbs of anything.

The difference between muscle and fat is obviously density, one doesnt 'weigh' more than the other if their weight is the same. Then saying "100lbs of this weighs more than 100lbs of that" is the same as saying "100 is more than 100." As in, it's just nonsensical. Because we're obviously talking about weight where g is the same for both measurements, as it always is when we say weight as mass colloquially.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Buffy the Cheeseburger Slayer? That has photoshop potential.

Wow, beaten to it

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Riddum

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Hah, only "fans" complain about Buff's weight. Buff seems to deal with it fine, his team deals with it fine and the coaches/staff seem to deal with it fine, at least towards public.

These threads are the Nelson/feelbad-threads of these forums.
BS, Buf puts pts on the board due to his hammer from the blueline -- but he is hardly that impressive in other areas of the game. It also sends a horrible message...

You are kidding yourself if you don't think Buf would be a much better player if he took care of himself better. Spent 3 month's per sumer to get into better shape instead of completely loosing it and being forced to work his but of just to recover to the form he had in Aprile.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote