HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Just our second swede that was undersized and potentially became way too hyped
Our third if you include that karlsson guy

Old
09-30-2012, 09:52 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I don't think Wikstrand's size is his issue. It's more his consistency, especially in his own end. He's made a couple glaring defensive errors.

Worst one that comes to mind this season was on a 5 on 4 PK (he was LD). Puck cycles behind the net to the right side of the ice. Wikstrand skates from the left boards to the slot, where a forward was covering for him. Forward takes off to get to his position at the top of the circles, leaving Wikstrand to assume his coverage of the crease/low slot. Instead, he goes to the right side of the net, where the RD already is, leaving the entire slot and left side open. Obviously led to a great passing lane and a nice one-time goal against.

He's young though, so you'd figure those kinds of mistakes can be weeded out through experience.

I've also noticed he's pretty bad at squaring up to shooters properly when he's blocking shots. Often results in him being a screen, rather than a wall.

09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Our third if you include that karlsson guy
I cannot remeber my thoughts of Karlsson in 2008-2009 but fair enough

Old
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I assume you though Petersson was a steal as well
Well, that statement makes it look like if Petersson was a bust... What the hell?

He just turned 22 y/o three weeks ago, played only 1 year in NA (and did very well in his rookie season) and was playing with a serious back injury the previous years on a SEL team with a lof of veterans. He still had decent numbers for the SEL, particularly when you take into account ice-time and opportunity

Getting a prospect like Petersson in the 4th round (109th overall) is a steal, yeah

Quote:
Just our second swede that was undersized and potentially became way too hyped
Petersson has only been hyped for a few months after the WJC... he's been underrated for a long while now.

Petersson has the poise, speed and skills to be a NHLer, despite his size... It's not like there was no "small" player in the NHL. It will all depend on health and opportunity IMO

Old
10-01-2012, 12:12 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Too early to call Petersson a steal. For all we know he never sticks in the NHL. Right now he looks like a good 4th round pick.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Just the fact that he has a chance to be a top 6 guy makes him a steal for me considering where he was drafted. I mean, what do you really expect from a fourth rounder? To get a guy who can play even play in a botom six means its a good pick in that round.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I refuse to call a pick a "steal" until they become a regular NHL player. That's not a knock whatsoever on Petersson because I still have high hopes for him and think he has all the tools to become a regular NHL player, but it's too early for such a title to be placed, IMO.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
Is it too much to ask to have stats updated for each player beside there name on the OP?

Old
10-01-2012, 04:30 PM
starling

Bookmark this: http://sens.6te.net/

Old
10-01-2012, 04:51 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

IMO Petersson will not make the NHL & will eventually return to Sweden to play. He is too small & there just isnt enough room for him in Ottawa. There are only four top 6 wing spots & I doubt he will play on the bottom six especially with his lack of size.

Michalek, Alfredsson (this yr), Latendresse, Greening, Zibanejad, Silfverberg & Stone IMO are all ahead of him. Hoffman & Grant could also be ahead of Petersson.

P.S. I was walking into the YMCA at Scotiaplace & saw Alfredsson today running up the stairs. These stairs are steep & long so you have to be in good shape to run up those stairs. He always says hello, nice guy.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
IMO Petersson will not make the NHL & will eventually return to Sweden to play. He is too small & there just isnt enough room for him in Ottawa. There are only four top 6 wing spots & I doubt he will play on the bottom six especially with his lack of size.

Michalek, Alfredsson (this yr), Latendresse, Greening, Zibanejad, Silfverberg & Stone IMO are all ahead of him. Hoffman & Grant could also be ahead of Petersson.

P.S. I was walking into the YMCA at Scotiaplace & saw Alfredsson today running up the stairs. These stairs are steep & long so you have to be in good shape to run up those stairs. He always says hello, nice guy.
Yes, there are 4 top-six spots. Michalek and Spezza. Who knows how these prospects will pan out. Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Stone are hardly top-6 locks. Same goes for Puempel or Noesen or Pageau. Petersson is under-rated by this fan base and I think he's got as much of a chance as several of the prospects listed above. I really just don't see the "not-enough-room" argument. We have two sure thing top-6 forwards in the long run. That's it. Every other prospect out there has the same thing to prove.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Yes, there are 4 top-six spots. Michalek and Spezza. Who knows how these prospects will pan out. Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Stone are hardly top-6 locks. Same goes for Puempel or Noesen or Pageau. Petersson is under-rated by this fan base and I think he's got as much of a chance as several of the prospects listed above. I really just don't see the "not-enough-room" argument. We have two sure thing top-6 forwards in the long run. That's it. Every other prospect out there has the same thing to prove.
You know, it's a beautiful concept that unless you're already there, you have the same chance as anyone else to "make it", but it isn't reality. If it's your opinion that Petersson has as good of a chance as the rest to crack the top 6, that's fine...but don't expect that many to share it, including those actually making the decision.

Who knows how these prospects will pan out? Sure, but some have earned higher acclaim based on where they were drafted and what they accomplished before hand. Silfverberg and Stone got inserted into the playoffs last year in a whim and both guys saw time on the top line. And then there's the 6th overall pick that will inevitably get preferential treatment unless he continuously fails.

Nothing is set in stone but there are guys that are better bets, and for good reason. Petersson is working against the odds, there is no question. Some players do beat the odds, but it shouldn't be expected.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:11 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You know, it's a beautiful concept that unless you're already there, you have the same chance as anyone else to "make it", but it isn't reality. If it's your opinion that Petersson has as good of a chance as the rest to crack the top 6, that's fine...but don't expect that many to share it, including those actually making the decision.

Who knows how these prospects will pan out? Sure, but some have earned higher acclaim based on where they were drafted and what they accomplished before hand. Silfverberg and Stone got inserted into the playoffs last year in a whim and both guys saw time on the top line. And then there's the 6th overall pick that will inevitably get preferential treatment unless he continuously fails.

Nothing is set in stone but there are guys that are better bets, and for good reason. Petersson is working against the odds, there is no question. Some players do beat the odds, but it shouldn't be expected.
I'm speaking in regards to those who count out Petersson out entirely. I'm entirely aware that guys like Silfverberg, Stone and Zibanejad have a greater chance of not only cracking the line-up but also sticking there in the top-6, but I think people are counting their eggs before they hatch. It just sounded like the poster before me was insinuating that we have too many assets to fit into the top-6 line-up for the future. Which we don't. Not yet.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post

I agree with you on everything except him being too small for our top-6. I don't see him beating out Michalek, Alfie, Latendresse, Zibby, Silfv, or Stone for a top-6 spot in the next couple seasons. After that I think he'll be jumped by some of Puempel, Prince, Noesen, and maybe Pageau, and I don't see him wanting to stick around to compete for AHL minutes and call up duties.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 563
The best I see for Peterssson is injury call up. He's not ever going to become a top 6 forward in the NHL on a regular basis.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:03 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Maybe this got posted and I missed it, but I was just reading The 6th Sens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24my...layer_embedded

I was not aware chocolate milk was the source of Zibanejad's skill.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I agree with you on everything except him being too small for our top-6. I don't see him beating out Michalek, Alfie, Latendresse, Zibby, Silfv, or Stone for a top-6 spot in the next couple seasons. After that I think he'll be jumped by some of Puempel, Prince, Noesen, and maybe Pageau, and I don't see him wanting to stick around to compete for AHL minutes and call up duties.
Alfie has this season in the top 6, then he's likely done. Lats is anything but a shoe-in, Silfverberg is not proven at all. The wings are wide open, and if Pertesson keeps progressing he has a shot no doubt.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Alfie has this season in the top 6, then he's likely done. Lats is anything but a shoe-in, Silfverberg is not proven at all. The wings are wide open, and if Pertesson keeps progressing he has a shot no doubt.
I'm not saying Petersson absolutely has no shot at the NHL, that he has no value to us anymore, or that he's a bad prospect. What I am saying is that the odds are against him.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:36 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
I'm not saying Petersson absolutely has no shot at the NHL, that he has no value to us anymore, or that he's a bad prospect. What I am saying is that the odds are against him.
I just think it's very wide open on the wings and he has as good a chance as anyone

Lats as a long term solution is not likely. Alfie is old. Michalek is overrated and inconsistent.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:45 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
I just think it's very wide open on the wings and he has as good a chance as anyone

Lats as a long term solution is not likely. Alfie is old. Michalek is overrated and inconsistent.
You seriously think Petersson is going to usurp Michalek for a top-6 position?

Old
10-01-2012, 11:49 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Maybe, in a couple years. I wouldn't bet on it or anything, but it's possible.

Michalek is the only ''sure'' top 6 six winger, and the guy has looked like a top 6 in 1 season out of 3 where Spezza and Karlsson were phenomenal and clearly carried him

Old
10-01-2012, 11:50 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
If the lockout wipes out a season, the Ottawa Senators have a grand total of ONE top-6 winger signed and we only have him for one season after that.

In two years all four winger spots are open.

I didn't count Greening, though the jury is out on him being a top-6 guy.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:01 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Maybe, in a couple years. I wouldn't bet on it or anything, but it's possible.

Michalek is the only ''sure'' top 6 six winger, and the guy has looked like a top 6 in 1 season out of 3 where Spezza and Karlsson were phenomenal and clearly carried him
Agreed with you until I read this. I don't know what you constitute as "carrying". Perhaps I have a different view point on carrying, but Michalek showed he is a top-6 winger this season regardless of how well Spezza or Karlsson played. Was his point totals affected by having these two players alongside him? Sure. But he wasn't being carried, by any means.

Old
10-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Agreed, I think MGMT needs to make a decision on him based on his play this year. Can he play in the NHL? If so, will Ottawa be able to give him a chance?

If we think he can play in the NHL, I would hope we give him an actual try-out period in a top 9 role. Not 4 minutes of action on the 4th line like this year. If we can't fit him on the roster, find a way to bring in another asset we can use and Give Andre a chance in another Org.

I know it is great to have depth in the AHL, but we have so much already, and more coming up that I feel we can afford to trade Andre to give him a chance if our other guys step up and assume the roles MGMT obviously believes they can fill (Stone, Silf, Zibby, Noesen)

Old
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

I get the feeling this may be Petersson's last year to either make the team or get traded to a team that he can, otherwise I could see him heading back to Sweden.

Closed Thread