HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
10-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Goalies in general aren't exactly famous for their social abilities.

That said, you'd be hard pressed to find three goalies who are better liked as people than Ward, Irbe and Boucher.
Chris Mason. Only one I can think of...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Goalies in general aren't exactly famous for their social abilities.

That said, you'd be hard pressed to find three goalies who are better liked as people than Ward, Irbe and Boucher.
Agreed on both accounts. I'd probably even throw Weekes in there too. But then there's Grahame, Leighton, and now apparently Murphy. Even Andersen rubbed me the wrong way, but some have blamed his agent for that.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Mike Murphy was tied for 33rd in AHL save percentage last year and is playing in Russia

His opinion is about as relevant as mine

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:24 AM
MD
#woofwoof

Looks like he went back and deleted the tweet. lol.

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Joe McGrath

Obviously that was a dumb thing to say. It was also accurate.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:42 AM
MD
#woofwoof

sidenote...i saw this, this morning:

definitely good for a laugh

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:39 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I love Twitter's ability to tell these athletes exactly what you think of them when they do or say something stupid. Ultimately they probably dont care but I still do it anyway. Just ask Jimmy Clausen.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Sorry Mike, if you can't beat out Justin Peters than it's your problem, not the organization's.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I love Twitter's ability to tell these athletes exactly what you think of them when they do or say something stupid. Ultimately they probably dont care but I still do it anyway. Just ask Jimmy Clausen.
He's EVERYONE'S golden boy tho I thought. He also went to such a fine and classy college, that everyone talks only about how classy they are there.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
He's EVERYONE'S golden boy tho I thought. He also went to such a fine and classy college, that everyone talks only about how classy they are there.
I'm no Clausen fan, but I don't see why a team like Cleveland, Jacksonville or even Tampa and Buffalo don't give the Panthers a call, he's still got some potential.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
I'm no Clausen fan, but I don't see why a team like Cleveland, Jacksonville or even Tampa and Buffalo don't give the Panthers a call, he's still got some potential.
I guess he could sit on the sidelines and hold a clip board as the 3rd stringer. I think Mularkey likes Gabbert and Henne to much to do anything with them.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Plus Cleveland has Weeden, Tampa has Freeman and Fitzpatrick is playing well. The Raiders could use him. I think that could result in such hilarity.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Don't see what's so bad about what he said. Charlotte isn't exactly a prospect machine. All evidence seems to point to the opposite actually.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Don't see what's so bad about what he said. Charlotte isn't exactly a prospect machine. All evidence seems to point to the opposite actually.
You don't say it. He's still a part of this organization. Eric Staal would never come out and say "let's be honest, we're not going to make the playoffs this year." Neither should Murphy be tearing down Charlotte as a place for prospects to play.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:48 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Liken Joe Mcgrath said, Murphy isn't wrong but why trash former teammates like that?

Old
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Liken Joe Mcgrath said, Murphy isn't wrong but why trash former teammates like that?
He's not trashing the teammates in all likelihood. He's trashing the people in charge of developing his teammates. Again he's saying something we all know and say repeatedly on this board. He's just not in a position to be saying it.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The thing is, if Murphy (or anyone else) is saying it that openly, you can bet that other players are saying it too. He might be an ass for letting it slip, but it points to a potential locker room problem that the organiation hopefully notices and takes seriously.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

There's an article on NHL.com about Jeremy Welsh.

I stopped reading when it referred to Jerome Samson as an "NHL regular."

Old
10-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
The thing is, if Murphy (or anyone else) is saying it that openly, you can bet that other players are saying it too. He might be an ass for letting it slip, but it points to a potential locker room problem that the organiation hopefully notices and takes seriously.
You would think that the track record of developing prospects in the AHL would be a problem the organization took seriously, but here we are.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
You would think that the track record of developing prospects in the AHL would be a problem the organization took seriously, but here we are.
It's one thing for a team to be unsuccessful, it's another thing for its players to casually and publicly call it a "graveyard". Once it gets to that point, the timeline for housecleaning gets a lot shorter.

Assuming the problem is taken seriously, that is.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
There's an article on NHL.com about Jeremy Welsh.

I stopped reading when it referred to Jerome Samson as an "NHL regular."
Then you missed the part where it said Skinner isn't a good skater.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:09 AM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Scathing tweet from G Mike Murphy:

Great seeing Latvia+Ukraine from hockey. Best of luck to my boy @TheBigCzech23 during tryouts in the prospect graveyard.But great fans there
IMO Mike Murphy could be trashing the North American minor leagues in general. Like, why waste your time in the land of dead NHL dreams? He obviously has a stake in the argument over whether to stay and wait or take the opportunities abroad, and he could be ribbing Jordan about his choice to stay in Charlotte. They're good friends.

He's always seemed like a really personable guy to me. I was impressed by his genuine friendship with Michal Jordan. How many trans-Atlantic hockey bromances do we get to see? Pretty much 0.

For all that everyone's saying about our farm, we've managed to identify great talent since we won the Cup. Sutter, Skinner, and Faulk are prospects we should be really proud of. McBain, Tlusty, Bowman, and Welsh are going to be solid NHLers (all have one-way deals). And Murphy, Rask, and Dumoulin have tons of potential.

Boychuk's probably never going to make the NHL, and Dalpe's about a season away from being in the same category. That's two legit failures. Who else has loitered in Charlotte? Murphy, Samson, and Terry. 3 very borderline prospects.

I think, on balance, we're excellent at identifying talent. I'm not sure about our ability to keep a stable of prospects, but look at Detroit. They keep their guys in Grand Rapids for half a decade before they sniff the NHL. This probably gets old for the players, but it is one way to do things.
And we've never had anything like Kyle Turris demanding to be traded out of Phoenix.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Then you missed the part where it said Skinner isn't a good skater.
In fairness, if one doesn't watch Skinner regularly, I could see how they could say he isn't a good skater. He doesn't have an explosive first stride or blazing speed and quite frankly, looks pretty awkward at times. His first season he seemed to fall down quite a bit as well. Where he excels is his ability to play on his edges, maneuver in tight spaces and maintain his maneuverability while at speed. He's phenomenal in that sense. He's very shifty and uses the 10-2 very well to get the defense back on their heels and change directions on a dime.

For most writers / fans, a "good skater" means they have a smooth stride and good speed. Hedican, Neidermayer, Federov, Coffey, etc... or blazing speed. Skinner is good in a different way.

Re: Welsh, I really hope the guy can come in and contribute in the next couple of years, whether it be wing or center. He has good size and from what I've read, isn't afraid to use it. I'm not convinced he'll be the 3C this season (if there is one), but I'm guessing the Canes will give him every chance to take that spot.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Re: Murphy, that just sounds like sour grapes to me by blaming an organization for your own shortcomings.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:53 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Murphy tweeted some weird things during his time here. Who knows what he really meant by his "graveyard" comment but I think it's safe to say the organization probably knows about it and won't bring him back if things go bad for him in the KHL.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote