Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 12:32 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
MacKinnon and Jones would be no brainers if picking 1st or 2nd, but from #3 on, there are definitely some options.

A few other names to keep an eye on are Elias Lindholm, Curtis Lazar, Kerby Rychel, Jonathan Drouin and Andre Burakovsky. All are very skilled and bring a physical edge to their game. At this point, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of these.

If picking 3rd, I would be looking at

- Monahan (my personal favorite)
- Lindholm
- Barkov
- Lazar (plays a Doan/Dustin Brown style game)

Drouin is already off to a terrific start with 7 pts in 2 games and some say he is comparable to Claude Giroux. He is quickly becoming my dark horse favorite with the things I've been hearing about him.

Personally I am not a fan of Shinkaruk. His game translating at the next level worries me.

Last edited by untouchable21: 09-27-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old
09-27-2012, 01:10 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
A player I think will be in our range that I could see us taking is Ryan Pulock. Players in Brandon and is from Dauphin. I think betting on us pick top 5 is risky, but with 3 balls we should pick top 10. Too bad he doesn't shoot left or he'd be the perfect partner for Buff

Old
09-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
MacKinnon and Jones would be no brainers if picking 1st or 2nd, but from #3 on, there are definitely some options.

A few other names to keep an eye on are Elias Lindholm, Curtis Lazar, Kerby Rychel, Jonathan Drouin and Andre Burakovsky. All are very skilled and bring a physical edge to their game. At this point, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of these.

- Lindholm
- Barkov

Drouin is already off to a terrific start with 7 pts in 2 games and some say he is comparable to Claude Giroux. He is quickly becoming my dark horse favorite with the things I've been hearing about him.

Personally I am not a fan of Shinkaruk. His game translating at the next level worries me.
EDIT: Talking about Lazar, just to be clear.

Any player at 5'10'' 157lbs that is being talked about as playing a physical/power forward style in junior is a huge red flag for me. Might be able to get away with it in juniors, but in the pros they won't be able to get away with that at that size. They will get pushed around, and most guys are unable to adjust. IMO, sounds too much like Gilbert Brule.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 09-27-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old
09-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Any player at 5'10'' 157lbs that is being talked about as playing a physical/power forward style in junior is a huge red flag for me. Might be able to get away with it in juniors, but in the pros they won't be able to get away with that at that size. They will get pushed around, and most guys are unable to adjust. IMO, sounds too much like Gilbert Brule.
Not to be a stickler, but this is obviously a typing error. He's 175lbs. Didn't think he was that small

Old
09-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Not to be a stickler, but this is obviously a typing error. He's 175lbs. Didn't think he was that small
He's listed on eliteprospects as 157

Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
He's listed on eliteprospects as 157
Maybe they're dyslexic, lol. He's listed at 175lbs on the WHL site. Who really knows which site is correct. eliteprospects has him listed at 161lbs now, lol.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:53 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
They must be dyslexic, lol. He's listed at 175lbs on the WHL site.
Fair, that makes a lot more sense. Still pretty small, but yeah, 157 would be tiny It's probably just dated.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Daddy Longlegs

I agree with untouchable about Shinkaruk. Although I know little about him, I have watched some of his highlights. Seemed to be a "right place right time" kinda guy. Nothing overly flashy. But who knows?

Old
09-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

After re-reading I think you were talking about Lazar and I was talking about Shinkaruk. WHL site has Lazar listed at 6'0" 198lbs.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

We'll really need to wait until the combine to get an accurate height/weight on most of these players. It's sad that these websites can't be somewhat accurate in their details about a player.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
After re-reading I think you were talking about Lazar and I was talking about Shinkaruk. WHL site has Lazar listed at 6'0" 198lbs.
Hmmm, interesting. Yeah I was talking Lazar. Meh, this is why I don't get into prospects this early usually, I like to do my research first and have seen the players first. I'll reserve judgement, but I know WHL has a tendency to exaggerate heights and weights (I was once in as 6'5'', 225 when I was 6'3'' 205). Just saying.

And completely agreed, the combine is the only really reliable source for things like that.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting. Yeah I was talking Lazar. Meh, this is why I don't get into prospects this early usually, I like to do my research first and have seen the players first. I'll reserve judgement, but I know WHL has a tendency to exaggerate heights and weights (I was once in as 6'5'', 225 when I was 6'3'' 205). Just saying.

And completely agreed, the combine is the only really reliable source for things like that.
I read an interesting article on this. They all go off team media guides (whl OHL and q) for dimensions.

Everyone cheats, stands "heel up" loads up on heavy foods, and since every team will weigh measure in differently it should really be taken with a grain of salt ( some teams let you wear clothwts, shorts, 10 hoodies etc, while others weigh you I n practically naked.

Seems to be that the prevalence of cheating the weigh ins has created a viacoua cycle. You now have to do it because scouts automatically subtract 2 inches and 10 lbs from your report

Old
09-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post

- Lindholm
- Barkov

Besides seeing some of Monahan at the Canada / Russia games I haven't seen any of these guys, so this opinion is not based on any viewings but rather from reports and others comments, etc.

That being said, I really want to see Barkov play live. The kid is 6'3" and playing a big role in a mens league at 16-17 years old? It looks like he's not just "on the team" but a big contributor.

There is something about his size, skill, and ability to play in a men's league at such a young age that has me intrigued.

This is under the assumption that we lose the season but end up with a lottery pick due to some draw system.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:38 PM
JetsHomer

I also am very intrigued by Barkov. He turned 17 on September 2cd, and is the leading scorer for the FEL. Really impressive. I also really like how Pulock, Lazar and Drouin have started the season.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
http://thehockeywriters.com/nick-ebe...raft-prospect/

We've been over where he ended up (Mr. Irrelevant).

How about this gem from Nov 19, 2006.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ne_x.htm#top10

Here's where they actually went
7. Jakub Voracek
20. Angelo Esposito
9. Logan Couture
28. Nick Petrecki
57. Mike Hoeffel
5. Karl Alzner
8. Zach Hamill
64. Sergei Korostin
40. Michal Repik
70. John Negrin

Rankings don't start to manifest themselves until early December at the earliest, more like mid-january. I believe MacKinnon is going to be a fantastic player, will be a star. Jones should be a top 5, probably top 2, but let's see how the year progresses. The rest...let's wait and see a little. I personally really liked what I saw out of Barkov last year in the WJC and a little bit of limited highlights, but it's still early.
There are several things to consider though. One is that they're all forwards save for Jones, who has been looked at (for awhile now) as one of the best defensive prospects in a long time. Jones already looks better than Trouba when they play side-by-side.

Secondly, they all play in North America, except Barkov, who immediately has the bonus of producing in a mens league.

None have to face the "Ebert effect" of having someone else prop them up and pad their stats.

Each of them have been very effective internationally as well.

I can see them (MacKinnon, Jones, Monohan, Barkov, Shinkaruk) falling (the most likely being Shinkaruk due to size) but not very far.

I'm also not at all a fan of Drouin. I haven't seen him this year, but he never before impressed me. Had great speed and great linemates, but I don't think he's the same player his stat sheet would suggest.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:37 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
There are several things to consider though. One is that they're all forwards save for Jones, who has been looked at (for awhile now) as one of the best defensive prospects in a long time. Jones already looks better than Trouba when they play side-by-side.

Secondly, they all play in North America, except Barkov, who immediately has the bonus of producing in a mens league.

None have to face the "Ebert effect" of having someone else prop them up and pad their stats.

I can see them (MacKinnon, Jones, Monohan, Barkov, Shinkaruk) falling (the most likely being Shinkaruk due to size) but not very far.

I'm also not at all a fan of Drouin. I haven't seen him this year, but he never before impressed me. Had great speed and great linemates, but I don't think he's the same player his stat sheet would suggest.
I've watched a couple games, and Drouin seems pretty shifty and talented. He seems to know how to get to the right spot and make the pass. Mackinnons shot makes me more of the goalscorer on that line.

I think in the NHL Droiun would be better suited to center and Mackinnon will be a winger that can step in and play top line center.

Not sure why Droiun doesn't play center in the Q tbh

Old
09-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

He was by far the best player for the U.S at the U18's last year. A man amongst boys.

Last edited by Paradise: 09-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old
09-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
He was by far the best player for the U.S at the U18's last year. A man amongst boys.
Yeah, him and Eckblad are almost strange to watch with how good they are at such a young age.

Old
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Bob E

If there is a lottery - due to a lost season - i would think the odds of the Jets having a top 10 pick would be quite good.

My vote would be for a forward (though Pulock would be a tough guy to pass up) and with a Top 10 pick, i would be happy with any of MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov, Shinkaruk, Lindholm or Lazar. Though my personal favorite is Monahan (even before the Canada/Russia Challenge). But any of those 6 or so would be a nice young player to add to the prospects pool.

TSN has Lazar at #9 - and his stats are:

9. Curtis Lazar
2012-13 Team: Edmonton League: WHL
Position: Centre Height: 6'0"
DOB: Feb. 2, 1995 Weight: 198 lbs.
2011-12 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Edmonton 63 20 11 31 +15 56

Old
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Boreal

I really wish I could see Sasha Barkov play hockey on a semi-regular basis. I'm really intrigued with everything I've heard, and the few snippets I've caught though.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I really wish I could see Sasha Barkov play hockey on a semi-regular basis. I'm really intrigued with everything I've heard, and the few snippets I've caught though.
I agree. From the outside, this kid sounds like something special.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

A name I am really keeping an eye on is Ryan Kujawinski from the OHL's Kingston Frontenacs. The 4th overall pick by the Sarnia Sting in 2011 got buried on a deep Sarnia team last season and it resulted in just 1 goal, 5 assists and 6 points in 29 games. However, partway through the season he got dealt to Kingston for Ryan Spooner, it ended up as the perfect fit and opportunity for Kujawinski in Kingston. He got all the playing time he needed, and it resulted in 15 goals, 15 assists for 30 points in 30 games - as a rookie.

This year, his draft year, the 6'2 205 lb center currently has 5 points in his first 3 games and was named the OHL's Player of The Week.

I'd keep an eye on him, I have a feeling he'll be a fairly high pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm all for BPA but my wish list for this draft:

*Top 6 C or RW and/or top 4 tough mins LD
*A continuation of us picking solid in rounds 2-3 guys (specially when we have so many this time)
*Take a chance on a guy that's a top6 or bust type somewhere in the late rounds

Old
10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Joe Hallenback

My thoughts on a few of the top guys

Jones - Will be the number 1 d man taken. Just too many excellent qualities that you look for in a D man. Size,Skating,shot and passing is top notch. His only downside is maybe he lacks some intensity. Hopefully a year in the Dub will do wonders for that

MacKinnon - Love his game. I think he will make a better pro winger then center. Just dynamic with the puck does things at full speed that other players wish they could do.

Shinkaruk - Might be the best goal scorer in the draft. Is being heavily shadowed this year in the Hat. Size is a concern but his speed is top end. Great wrist shot

Pulock - Fantastic start to the season. Underrated right now because of playing in Brandon. Great vision and puck skills. Cannon of a shot. Good pro size already.

Monahan - Great size for a center. Decent skater not great though. Real good vision on the ice and has a nose for the goal. I wonder if he will be able to produce as well offensively in the NHL though

Lazar - Two way center stud. Great goal scorer. Ryan Kesler like without the diving. Team leader.

Barkov - Nice sized forward. Soft hands. Average skater. People hate Antropov around here and they are similar players.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Bob E

Watched some video of Pulock. Offensively, he reminds me of a Shea Weber type dman. Pretty thick too. If Jets are picking in the 7 to 10 range, with many of the high-end forwards off the table, i wonder if Chevy will lean his direction.

Chevy has said a solid team needs to start with solid dmen, but a d corps of Bogo, Enstrom, Trouba and Pulock might be too much of an embarrassment of riches - in 3 or 4 yrs.

I'm leaning more for a forward, but not sold on Barkov, yet. I'd like to see how he does at the WJC this year, playing against his peers, in his draft year.

Closed Thread