HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kevin Shattenkirk to the Flyers

Old
09-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Both these teams strengths is forward depth and their needs are more defensive depth. That makes them bad trading partners from the get go. For Shattenkirk, I think Couts is the only realistic piece from Philly that would make sense to STL. But I doubt Philly does that and they shouldn't either.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:24 AM
PayItForward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Really? I have to disagree. I'm expecting big seasons from both Schenns this year. Pietro might be the best player in the trade but not by much so I'd stick with two solid players.
Pietrangelo is a much, much better player than B. Schenn and I'm a huge Schenn fan. Pietrangelo's worth any player on the Flyers (plus, obviously) besides Giroux. I'd drive Schenn or Couturier or Voracek or whoever to the airport for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Both these teams strengths is forward depth and their needs are more defensive depth. That makes them bad trading partners from the get go. For Shattenkirk, I think Couts is the only realistic piece from Philly that would make sense to STL. But I doubt Philly does that and they shouldn't either.
And St. Louis needs d-men so I doubt they do that. A trade between these 2 teams doesn't make sense.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:15 PM
IranCondraAffair

If this were NHL 13, Shattenkirk's name would be "white" and you'd have to offer half your roster to get him. It's just not going to happen.

I can't think of anyone with a spare defenseman right now, except maybe Phoenix.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
If this were NHL 13, Shattenkirk's name would be "white" and you'd have to offer half your roster to get him. It's just not going to happen.

I can't think of anyone with a spare defenseman right now, except maybe Phoenix.
Judging from past experience, Phoenix fans do not view their situation as having a spare defensemen, though, obviously, their management might feel different.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:11 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Pietrangelo is a much, much better player than B. Schenn and I'm a huge Schenn fan. Pietrangelo's worth any player on the Flyers (plus, obviously) besides Giroux. I'd drive Schenn or Couturier or Voracek or whoever to the airport for him.

And St. Louis needs d-men so I doubt they do that. A trade between these 2 teams doesn't make sense.
I would considers Pietrangelos and Girouxs value to be about the same, both are incredible young players and are both about top 5 in their respective positions.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I would considers Pietrangelos and Girouxs value to be about the same, both are incredible young players and are both about top 5 in their respective positions.
Giroux is a phenomenal young player with his best years still ahead of him... but a 22-year-old stud defenseman, poised on the brink of multiple Norris Trophies over the next decade, is worth considerably more than a forward of comparable age, no matter how many points the forward is capable of putting up.

Defensemen like Pietrangelo come along for a team once in a generation.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Giroux is a phenomenal young player with his best years still ahead of him... but a 22-year-old stud defenseman, poised on the brink of multiple Norris Trophies over the next decade, is worth considerably more than a forward of comparable age, no matter how many points the forward is capable of putting up.

How many defensemen from the 2008 draft class alone have we heard this about?

Giroux is worth more than Pietrangelo.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Kershaw

Quote:

Not with this guy around:

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:31 AM
flyershockey

Quote:

Now you're getting ahead of yourself. Pietrangelo may have more value than Giroux (I think they're at the same level), but multiple Norris Trophies? Little early to pencil him in for that, no? It'll be even tougher when you consider that he'll be competing against the likes of Weber, Suter, Doughty, OEL, Myers, Keith, Seabrook, Karlsson, and Letang for most of his career. That list doesn't even take into account the younger guys that aren't in the league yet that have the potential to be on that list.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:32 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
How many defensemen from the 2008 draft class alone have we heard this about?

Giroux is worth more than Pietrangelo.
3? Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson?? One winner, one finalist, and one top five finisher.

The value is very close. While I wouldn't trade Pietrangelo for Giroux, if Giroux played for the Blues, I'm not sure I'd trade him for Pietrangelo.

It all depends on the philosophy of the franchise's GM as to which is more valuable. Depending on how they want to construct their team, a young #1 defenseman may have greater value or lesser value than a #1 center of similar youth.

Also, just because there are multiple defensemen from the same draft that will be the best defense of a generation from for their respective franchise's doesn't mean it isn't true. There is a good chance that 2008 is the best draft for defensemen ever, let alone a single generation. Dougthy, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Myers, Del Zotto, Hamonic, Sbisa, Calson, Bogosian, Schenn, Voynov, Gardiner, Josi, Schultz, etc. all have the potential for decent to long NHL careers.

I mean, the same holds true for Giroux. He may be the best center the Flyers have had in a generation, but it doesn't mean his is the only center to fit that description from his draft class. Toews, Backstrom, Brassard, and Giroux could all fit the description of best #1 center in a generation for their franchises. Staal could end up holding that title for Carolina. That doesn't take anything away from Giroux, just as it doesn't take anything away from Pietrangelo.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:21 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
3? Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson?? One winner, one finalist, and one top five finisher.

The value is very close. While I wouldn't trade Pietrangelo for Giroux, if Giroux played for the Blues, I'm not sure I'd trade him for Pietrangelo.

It all depends on the philosophy of the franchise's GM as to which is more valuable. Depending on how they want to construct their team, a young #1 defenseman may have greater value or lesser value than a #1 center of similar youth.

Also, just because there are multiple defensemen from the same draft that will be the best defense of a generation from for their respective franchise's doesn't mean it isn't true. There is a good chance that 2008 is the best draft for defensemen ever, let alone a single generation. Dougthy, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Myers, Del Zotto, Hamonic, Sbisa, Calson, Bogosian, Schenn, Voynov, Gardiner, Josi, Schultz, etc. all have the potential for decent to long NHL careers.

I mean, the same holds true for Giroux. He may be the best center the Flyers have had in a generation, but it doesn't mean his is the only center to fit that description from his draft class. Toews, Backstrom, Brassard, and Giroux could all fit the description of best #1 center in a generation for their franchises. Staal could end up holding that title for Carolina. That doesn't take anything away from Giroux, just as it doesn't take anything away from Pietrangelo.
You're right, it doesn't take anything away from either player. Nor does it offer an edge to either player since the whole "generational" thing applies to both players.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
You're right, it doesn't take anything away from either player. Nor does it offer an edge to either player since the whole "generational" thing applies to both players.
I agree but which one takes longer to develop a #1 d-man or a 1st line center? Considering the Blues are a defense first team, Petro is worth more to them. Not knocking anyone else's player but he just means too much to our team and fits perfect. Very few players in the league I would trade 1 for 1 involving our key piece.

Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:21 AM
ChiTown Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post

I got him for Mez and a 1st

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:19 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown Flyer View Post
I got him for Mez and a 1st
lol!

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote