HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

hall of fame induction in montreal

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2006, 02:01 PM
habs-stars2006

vCash: 500
hall of fame induction in montreal

I'm such a moron. i totally forgot about last night. Last night was the induction of legendary canadians coach cecil hart into montreal YM-YWHA jewish sports hall of fame.
He is a direct descendent of Aaron Hart, the first Jewish settler in Canada. Cecil Hart (1883 Ė 1940) was an all-around sportsman who pioneered amateur hockey in Canada. He moved to professional hockey in 1921, when he helped negotiate the sale of the Montreal Canadiens. Hart coached the Montreal Maroons in the 1924-25 season, but returned to the Canadiens in 1926 when the team moved to the hallowed Forum.

In eight seasons coaching the Canadiens, between 1926 and 1932 and 1936 and 1939, his teams never missed the playoffs, winning Stanley Cups in 1930 and 1931, the first time the Habs won back-to-back titles. Overall, Hart posted a career NHL coaching record of 196-125-73. Emphasizing speed, which guides the team to this day, he helped lay the groundwork that made the Canadiens one of sport's most dominant franchises.

A tough competitor, he was respected as a true sportsman by players and opponents alike. The Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHLís most valuable player is named after him. The original Hart Trophy, donated to the NHL by his father in 1923, was retired to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1960 and was replaced by the Hart Memorial Trophy.

HART TROPHY WINNERS LACH, BELIVEAU, LAFLEUR all were to attend the ceremony. Dick Irvin was the MC.
This ceremony was open to the public and took place in my neighbourhood. I forgot all about it and missed the ceremony. Darn it.

DID ANYONE GO TO IT? OR KNOW ABOUT IT?

Last edited by habs-stars2006: 05-09-2006 at 02:02 PM. Reason: title change
Closed Thread