*OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2012-13 Season Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfan59 View Post
I see you guys still have 3 16 yr old D on the roster, do you think with 9 on the roster still that 1 maybe 2 go with Hicketts sticking around?
I believe Hicketts will stay on the team. He's already our best offensive defenseman and he brings a lot to the table for our team. He's already got 2 points in his first 2 WHL games, I don't see him going anywhere. Jack Walker (96) has been scratched for the first two games of the season, he could be possibly cut.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Royal Canuck: That was a great read.
Am planning on tuning into this weeknds games via the teams website. Bracing myself for another late weekend--due to the time difference in the UK...lol
I enjoyed reading about the other Royals...As I am a keen follower of the Euros, Its always interesting to find out "whos who"
Is there a post/blog anywhere that does a run down on the guys, player by player??

What about Gogolev...he is going to make a lot of folks look silly I hope this year.

All the best
Jd
Well, you can follow mine and Yandle Bars' blog which we talk about the royals (link in my signature) or look up some other blogs and see if you can find something else.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I believe Hicketts will stay on the team. He's already our best offensive defenseman and he brings a lot to the table for our team. He's already got 2 points in his first 2 WHL games, I don't see him going anywhere. Jack Walker (96) has been scratched for the first two games of the season, he could be possibly cut.
I say Gagnon and Walker are gone. It's unfortunate for Walker because I am sure he had great offers to head the NCAA route. I believe he has all the talents he just needs another year to fully develop.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

The Victoria Royals have traded F Dakota Conroy for a 7th round pick from the Prince Albert Raiders.
http://www.victoriaroyals.com/articl...n-trade/127671

Old
09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Now this is just me thinking, but Jack walker did play forward in parts of camp, now that there is a spot in the line-up open on forward, maybe Lowry is thinking of converting Walker into a forward and placing him in Conroy's spot. That OR Lowry wants Brandon Fushimi to replace Conroy's spot, which is probably the best bet.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Deacon didn't play Saturday, either.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Deacon didn't play Saturday, either.
Deacon is going to stay. He will be an energy guy. Jack Walker's game is much more suited for a forward. It might be what Lowry is trying to do, but I don't think that's the case. Honestly if that's the case it works well for both sides.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:31 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I don't recall him using Walker at forward at all during camp.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
I don't recall him using Walker at forward at all during camp.
During both the Rookie Camp and Main Camp, Walker played Center on and off along with playing defense.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:25 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

He may get the Crunk treatment. They keep him around all year, but he plays sparingly. I don't see the point in moving him to forward, but you never know.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:10 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Who all else is going to the game tonight! gonna be a good one. Also get to see one of the Avs newly drafted prospects, pretty stoked.

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:34 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
Who all else is going to the game tonight! gonna be a good one. Also get to see one of the Avs newly drafted prospects, pretty stoked.
I'll be listening, Blazers are without Ranford (hamilton camp) and Madaisky (springfield camp).

Haven't got an update on injuries yet, but i believe Bell will be back in as well as Chevaldave.

I think the Blazers and Royals split these two games.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:34 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Cheveldave didn't start. The royals are doing a good job keeping it close. The blazers are such a good team. Passing lanes are often cut off, and they recheck like mothers. If not for the bad 2nd goal, this game is tired. Third to come.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:51 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Exciting game. Gogolev was good again, had a goal. Hodges is an interesting, dynamic player, but he drives me nuts with his turnovers. Nelson was a bull tonight. He scored the game tying goal in the third, and the shoot out winner. The behind the net power play he made to score the tying goal was reminiscent of Mats Sundin. Forgive me, just being a Leafs fan, that's where my head went. I'm not saying he's Sundin, just so we're clear. Polivka wasn't great on the 2nd, or 3rd goals he allowed. But, he was good when it mattered in the shoot out.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

3-0 Baby!!

Old
09-29-2012, 04:16 AM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Exciting game. Gogolev was good again, had a goal. Hodges is an interesting, dynamic player, but he drives me nuts with his turnovers. Nelson was a bull tonight. He scored the game tying goal in the third, and the shoot out winner. The behind the net power play he made to score the tying goal was reminiscent of Mats Sundin. Forgive me, just being a Leafs fan, that's where my head went. I'm not saying he's Sundin, just so we're clear. Polivka wasn't great on the 2nd, or 3rd goals he allowed. But, he was good when it mattered in the shoot out.
Thank you so much for the Game reviews, please do keep them coming.
Listened in to this very exciting game, and Gogelev sounded like he was on the end of everything!
What a dynamite pick up.

Certainly sounded like it was quite a bruising game too, with a lot of big hits!
Thought I was listening into a playoff game!!

The Florida pick (is it Hodges?) sounded a very busy player: and Nelson, indeed, sounded like he was engaging!
Any more info on these guys?
What about the new kid Walker?--Am I right in hearing he has "ludicrous speed?"

lol....anyway, the game finished 5:15am over here, so I am well in the doghouse with Mrs "D" today though, so lot of making up to do..lol

Sorry to be a pain, and repeating myself, but would be so gratefull if someone could knock me up a "whos-who" on the Royals.

Before I go, I must say that I was so impressed by the Marlon Martens commentary.
Anyone have a contact email for him?
I read his blog, but can not find a "contact" option?

Many thanks...and sorry for all the qestions...lol...

Last edited by johnnydrum: 09-29-2012 at 05:03 AM.
johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:06 PM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
The game last night was good. The Royals, to date, are just so much better defensively. It is partly due to the players being better, but they seem more structured. It also helps not having Habscheid play 20 minutes a night...
I loved Hicketts, he has some serious potentia;. He did some "16 year old" things at times, but once he clears those up he will be great.
Gogolev is good, but at times risky.
Nelson is still a beast, but I feel he needs to improve his lower body/core strength to really go to the next level.
Polivka is much more calm in net then hamilton. He did not need to be great last night, but he seems to be more consistent.
I still love Magee! just wish he could stickhandle better.
They dressed 7 dmen last night and they all played defence mostly. Only Gagnon is yet to play

ktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:54 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Polivka needs to learn to stay on his feet/not overplay the shot so much. The first goal, the shot completely missed the net. He made himself vulnerable by falling onto his side, a position he could not recover from, and resulted in a goal. The 3rd he just flat out got beaten on. Still, big improvement over Hamilton.

Old
09-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Royals Blanked By Blazers

After a rough start time following the John Fogerty concert last night, the Victoria Royals were shutout by the visiting Kamloops Blazers on a sunday afternoon. Jared Rathjen was given his 1st start of the season and Patrik Polivka was given a rest for the night. Rathjen stopped 36 of 39 shots and played well in between the pipes. Brady Gaudet put the Blazers up 1-0 after the 1st period, follwed by Rob Trzonkowski late in the 2nd, and Colin Smith put the nail in the coffin half-way through the 3rd. The Royals suffered their first loss of the season, but they're progress so far this season is nothing short of inspiring. Brandon Magee was all over the ice tonight, causing turnovers and having multiple chances to score. Tyler Stahl also returned to the line-up, a huge gain for our defense.

Steven Hodges did not dress for today's game, as he is day-to-day with a lower body injury. Logan Nelson stepped up and had a lot of good chances and was making good passes on the powerplay. Although he didn't score, Joe Hicketts played very well today and is beginning to get in the groove of the WHL. The Royals will host Hunter Shinkaruk and the Medicine Hat Tigers on Wednesday night, The Tigers have won 3 straight and Shinkaruk recorded 4 points (1G, 3A) in his last game against the Regina Pats. This will be the first time we will be hosting a high draft pick for this year's NHL entry draft, as Shinkaruk is coming off a 49 goal campaign last year and even without Emerson Etem, he's still on pace for another explosive season.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:35 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Just not the same energy as on Friday. Afternoon games, terrible.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:05 AM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Just not the same energy as on Friday. Afternoon games, terrible.
Conversely, the blazers didn't have to deal with travelling the morning of the game and that led to more energy than Friday!

This Royals team looks so much better than last year. I have a feeling the BC division will Finish with Kamloops on top and Victoria in 2nd place. Prince George has had a good start, but they are beneficiaries of 2 weak teams to start the year.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
johnnydrum

The luxury of a early start meant it was 9pm here..lol

I thought it sounded like the Royals came out flying, and had they got an early "snipe", would have taken the game.
However, it seemed that they had lost thier gas after such a high octane opening session, and sounded a totally different team in the second.
Still, was pretty enteratining, and sounded like there was a lot of physical play.
I guess they just didnt get the bounces early on, and the Blazers talented line up, began to take control in the 2nd period, and cashed in on thiers.

Last edited by johnnydrum: 10-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.
johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

What a game for Jared Rathjen though. The guy couldn't stop a beach ball last season, then he stops 36 of 39 in this one. Did not see that coming, he looked shaky in camp.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
There was a stretch late last year where he was lights out almost every night. I'm not surprised with what this kid is capable of. He just needs his confidence up, and he needs to play more often than once in almost never.
That was only a 3 or 4 game stretch though. Put that aside and he had an atrocious year.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
justahockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
That was only a 3 or 4 game stretch though. Put that aside and he had an atrocious year.
Where does this leave Vollrath?

justahockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote