HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most shocking trades (trades no one saw coming)

Old
10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
As a leafs fan...

Beauchemin for Lupul + Gardiner

Phaneuf for White, Stajan, Hagman, Mayers

Giguere for Blake and Toskala (didnt think they could be moved)

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:43 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

A few stand out for me...

1) Yashin for Chara and Spezza (well 2nd overall pick). I was just so surprised how much value Ottawa got seeing as it was so apparent that Yashin was not going to be re-signed.

2) Roy to the Avalanche. I realize Roy said he would never play for the habs again after that debacle versus the Wings, but how everything transpired from that game to the trade and him being dealt to an organization who would never have gotten him if they had remained in Quebec

3) The Leclair, Desjardins, Dionne (i think he was in the deal too) for Recchi trade. I always thought Desjardins and Leclair were good players for Montreal, but when that deal went down, I knew they would take off in Philly. Plus, Recchi ended up back with the Flyers a few years later anyway.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
As a leafs fan...

Beauchemin for Lupul + Gardiner

Phaneuf for White, Stajan, Hagman, Mayers

Giguere for Blake and Toskala (didnt think they could be moved)
Wouldn't Wendy Clark for Sundin top the list as far as Leaf trades go?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
vadim sharifijanov

i was most shocked by the year glen sather decided to "give back" to canada and sent petr nedved to edmonton, alex kovalev to montreal, martin rucinsky to vancouver, chris simon to the flames, greg de vries to the sens, and brian leetch to the leafs.

what a crazy deadline that was. of course, edmonton didn't even make the playoffs and still rucinsky in vancouver was easily the biggest flop. (note also that kovalev infamously lost a playoff game by literally flopping and still rucinsky is the worst.)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Brodeur

The 2002 Deadline trade of Jason Arnott and Randy McKay for Joe Nieuwendyk and Jamie Langenbrunner came out of nowhere for me.

The trade itself was one of those deals consummated just prior to the deadline, so it was announced after the deadline (akin to the Hodgson/Kassian deal this year, but minus the Twitter/TV coverage).

At the time, I thought Arnott would be next in line to inherit the captain's C from Scott Stevens. The Devils won the Cup in 2000 and came within a game of repeating in 2001 with Arnott centering the top line. Things went stagnant in 2002, but I didn't think there was a trade forthcoming.

Even from a Dallas perspective, Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner weren't that far removed from their 1999 Cup.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Rundblad for Tarasenko/Ottawa's 2010 1st round pick. This one could end up being huge.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Laying down ready to go to sleep and hearing on the radio that the Oilers landed Chris Pronger. The HF thread was pretty funny looking back. A radio host gave a heads up that something huge was about to happen and to listen to the radio..

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Wouldn't Wendy Clark for Sundin top the list as far as Leaf trades go?
Wasnt a fan during those days. More or less mentioning those that affected me... possitively lol

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The idea of Methot being traded for another winger was a very prevalent one among Jackets fans; we were suggesting it frequently. That it was Foligno in particular who came back wasn't too much of a surprise to us either; Ottawa had seemed to be one of our best possible targets.

I can see why it'd catch Sens fans off guard, though. It's not as though the blueline is in dire shape there, and the idea of moving Foligno probably wouldn't appeal.
Among us Ottawa fans, it was completely out of the blue for us

Hopefully it won't bite us in the ass too much, but it was really unexpected...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Anthrax Jones

Drury/Yelle for Morris/McAmmond/Shantz is the closest I've ever come to crying after a trade. The only one sadder than me may have been Drury himself.

Fleury-to-Colorado was pretty shocking too. It wasn't a secret that Theo was on the block, but I never saw the Avs as the destination.

Anthrax Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:39 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I was much younger and not as connected to this stuff back then, but I was shocked with:

To DET: Hasek

To BUF: Slava Kozlov, 2002 1st + future considerations

I don't know if there was much in the way of rumor before this actually happened, but came as a pleasant surprise to me and many of my friends - even though I was a huge Kozlov fan.
There was a lot of buzz on that trade happening in Buffalo before it actually did. Its just more shocking because of how little Buffalo got in return. But of course, thats because Hasek played the retirement card and then told Regier he wouldnt report to detroit if the original trade of Hasek for Sergei Fedorov went through, thus forcing Regier to take less or risk getting nothing

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Roof Daddy

Most of the main ones have already been mentioned, so I'll go with a low key one for my team - the Oilers acquiring Jason Smith for a 4th and a 2nd. It's not like the Leafs were stacked on D, and they were a legit contender, so why trade a gritty stay-at-home guy for picks? I remember Don Cherry tearing apart the trade a ton of times. Worked out beauty for the Oil. Still remember the 2000 playoffs where we got bounced in the first round by the Stars. Gator must have had 50hits in those 5 games, most of the forearm shiver to the chest/face variety (Tony Hrkac remembers...or does he?).

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Badger25

Phaneuf trade really stands out. I remember where I was when I got the text

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, what I remember most is that not one of the "experts" in the media even had that one on their radar. Not so much as a blip anywhere.

Also, Hodgson for Kassian and Sulzer for Gragnani were actually separate deals, just to be pedantic. I was fuming about losing Hodgson until I actually saw Kassian play. He was like an escaped mental patient out there. Love the energy, needs to work on control and consistency, but hey, he just turned 21 this year. Blessing in disguise from the lockout is that he gets some extra time to terrorize the AHL for a bit and condition himself better.

Gragnani...well, his problem was just that he was born in the wrong century. In the 1400's or 1500's, he'd have been just the guy to travel around the unexplored world, discover places, and name them after himself. He's just got that kind of spirit. He's the kind of guy who says: "What's over there? Way, way over there?" then goes to find out. Where others may say: "Why?" or "Seriously, why?" or even "What the hell is wrong with you? WHY?!" he says: "Why not?" Danger? Peril? Intricately designed hockey set plays? Merely speed bumps in the road of life to intrepid souls such as his. He'd drop whatever he was doing, sail halfway around the world, discover Hawaii, and name it Gragnaniland. Why? Just because. Sure, his father would say: "Idiot boy, I sent you to the barn for eggs and you return six months later with a sack of macadamia nuts. WTF?!" But to the rest of the world, he'd have nailed his name in the pages of history as the man who discovered Gragnaniland.

Sadly, this adventurous streak didn't serve him terribly well here, as has been documented. His shifts on the Canucks always kept us in suspense waiting to see which retarded place he'd suddenly decide to bugger off to. It'd certainly be nowhere near scrums or nasty bodily contact, that much was always assured, however. Sulzer wasn't any kind of loss because he was buried behind depth...and Aaron Rome, who out idiot coach had a massive hard spot for. I'm glad he worked out well for you guys; good to see him getting an NHL gig after being misused here.
One of the most insanely accurate descriptions of a player I have ever seen.

Simply Brilliant

Man did I ever hate that trade. At least I like Buffalo because they are our expansion cousins

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Definitely Heatley for Hossa.

Hossa freshly signed, and after all that had happened in the wake of Heatley's return post-Snyder incident. Blew my mind, as a Thrashers fan.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:56 PM
frankthetank91

Acquiring Phaneuf was one of the most shocking, exciting and happy times as a Leafs fan.

I remember vividly, Leafs vs Canucks on a Saturday night, Leafs blowing a lead and losing and it was such a disappointing game. Woke up Sunday morning to numerous texts: "WE GOT PHANEUF!!!!!!" go on HF, see who we traded, refresh to see if troll thread, it wasn't, feels good man. Never saw it coming, didn't know he was available.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:25 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Rusty Olesz for Brian Campbell, I had to do a triple take when I read it. " We traded what for whoo???"

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Pronger to the Oil for me. When I saw it on tv I just started laughing. It was pretty great until just after the playoffs.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 50
EJ/Stewart: IIRC this trade happened in the middle of the night and came out of nothing. Nobody from either fan base expected such a big trade and at least from our point of view: nobody expected Kirk to be traded.

Varly to Colorado as well: there were a lot of rumors and talks about Schneider or bernier and everybody was well aware that the avs were going to do something in terms of goaltending as they had no NHL goalie signed but nobody expected the new no1 to be semyon.
Right now I'm really happy we got him and not Schneider or bernier

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

I may get laughed at but... the Rick Nash trade. Rumors had been dead for a while and it seemed as if nothing was a getting done. Ill never forget it, one of my last classes in college and I went outside for a smoke break and checked hf boards on my phone, saw nothing. 45 minutes later I go back out and its done.

10-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Stephen23

Ryan Smyth to NYI for me. Even the analyists were quiet and stunned. They had heard through another general manager who had heard through another. Recent trades would be the Kassian/Hodgson deal and the Phaneuf trade and both Leaf Versteeg deals.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Acquiring Phaneuf was one of the most shocking, exciting and happy times as a Leafs fan.

I remember vividly, Leafs vs Canucks on a Saturday night, Leafs blowing a lead and losing and it was such a disappointing game. Woke up Sunday morning to numerous texts: "WE GOT PHANEUF!!!!!!" go on HF, see who we traded, refresh to see if troll thread, it wasn't, feels good man. Never saw it coming, didn't know he was available.
Nobody did, including NHL GM's. I can't remember who it was but a GM or two came out publicly and basically said had they known Dion was available, they certainly would have offered more. It's shocking that Sutter didn't even call around a bit. Such an awful trade for Calgary.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:07 AM
juve

Mike Cammalleri being traded during a game. I've never seen anything like that in my life before. I'm glad those two ass clowns, Gautheir and Gainey are gone.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:12 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Thornton to Sharks
Hossa to Trashers
Chelios to Detroit (it was known he would be traded at some point, but to Detroit of all places?)

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
There was a lot of buzz on that trade happening in Buffalo before it actually did. Its just more shocking because of how little Buffalo got in return. But of course, thats because Hasek played the retirement card and then told Regier he wouldnt report to detroit if the original trade of Hasek for Sergei Fedorov went through, thus forcing Regier to take less or risk getting nothing
Now that would have been shocking. Just wondering, do you have any source for this original trade? I would be very surprised if this was true, I don't think the Wings would have ever traded Fedorov for a 36 year old Hasek straight up.

BeersHockey is online now   Reply With Quote