HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
backhandsauce

vCash: 500
So Mike Smith is a UFA next year. Do we use Khabi's cap and sign this guy? Run a Dubnyk/Smith tandem....

Old
10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
I would be wary of the curse of Dave Tippett

Old
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Even without the whole McKinnon thing, I like the idea of bringing Clowe in. Then Yak can play the right side.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gager- Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
mps-belanger-Jones/hortichuk

Then its no longer a small team.
Very nice forward group right there.

I honestly think you guys are probably a veteran shutdown defenseman away from making the playoffs this year, health permitting. Or just end up with the 2nd overall pick and take Seth Jones and win the Cup for a decade

10-01-2012, 06:10 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Very nice forward group right there.

I honestly think you guys are probably a veteran shutdown defenseman away from making the playoffs this year, health permitting. Or just end up with the 2nd overall pick and take Seth Jones and win the Cup for a decade
How about Edler? He could probably make us a playoff team.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If we get about the 15 pick I don't think I would move up to get MacKinnon, I would look at Lazar or Monahan. That would help us out as we need some size on our team.
While I agree we need some size, it's really more about the fight in the dog. McKinnon is very strong for his current frame(5'11 179), and I say current frame because he just turned 17 at the start of September, so it's not out of the question he gains another inch to top out at 6'0. Someone in the prospects forum claimed he has had a personal trainer since age 9. He is ripping it up early in the face-off dot this year, taking the most draws on his team and winning 63/93 (67.7%). Peter Forsberg is used as a comparable, and I think it's very accurate.

I think an RNH-McKinnon combo down the middle could look awfully similar to what the Avs had for so many years with Sakic and Forsberg. Size down the middle can be made up for in the bottom six.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
How about Edler? He could probably make us a playoff team.
Not as great defensively as people give him credit for. But he would definitely look good in an Oilers uniform. Unfortunately for you though we would probably want one of your "big 4" :p

In reality, it would be so ideal for you guys if Colten Teubert developed into the defenseman he was touted as pre-draft. Hopefully Ryan Whitney stays healthy for once as he would probably make for a good mentor to Schultz. I'm thinking someone like Rob Scuderi or Willie Mitchell would be perfect in an Oilers uniform. Nice stay at home veteran defenseman to act as a calming influence when things get rough.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Not as great defensively as people give him credit for. But he would definitely look good in an Oilers uniform. Unfortunately for you though we would probably want one of your "big 4" :p

In reality, it would be so ideal for you guys if Colten Teubert developed into the defenseman he was touted as pre-draft. Hopefully Ryan Whitney stays healthy for once as he would probably make for a good mentor to Schultz. I'm thinking someone like Rob Scuderi or Willie Mitchell would be perfect in an Oilers uniform. Nice stay at home veteran defenseman to act as a calming influence when things get rough.
It would be huge for us if either Plante or Teubert could reach their potential

Old
10-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I don't see Plante's skating ever getting him there. I still have high hopes for Teubert though.

10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Koto

plante hasnt been a prospect for 2 years in my eyes.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Actually I could see David Musil possibly becoming that guy. Might be too soon to expect a lot out of him within the next two years though (this season included if there is one). But down the road I could see him developing into someone that would look very good on a shutdown pairing.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Actually I could see David Musil possibly becoming that guy. Might be too soon to expect a lot out of him within the next two years though (this season included if there is one). But down the road I could see him developing into someone that would look very good on a shutdown pairing.
Have you seen a lot of him living in BC? I'd love to hear another teams fan give a scouting report on him.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:14 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I don't see Plante's skating ever getting him there. I still have high hopes for Teubert though.

Yep

Teubert was the guy from the kings I wanted. Reportedly Teubert made Plante look good

Old
10-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Yep...his name is Nick Schultz.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Yep...his name is Nick Schultz.
If all goes well...

Smid-Petry
Whitney-J.Schultz
Klefbom-N.Schultz

may actually be a well balanced group....still no stand out top pairing defenders...but could possibly round out a team which wins "as a group" (code for 'praise the Nuge')

Old
10-02-2012, 01:27 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Yep

Teubert was the guy from the kings I wanted. Reportedly Teubert made Plante look good
How is this, please explain.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Have you seen a lot of him living in BC? I'd love to hear another teams fan give a scouting report on him.
I haven't seen enough of him to confidently give an accurate scouting report. From what I have seen of him, he isn't a guy who's going to noticeably stand out too much. He's not all that flashy and isn't the smoothest skater, but he isn't afraid to play the body and will shut down the opposition. Probably the type of player who may be under appreciated because he isn't flashy, but someone who will definitely help and be a valuable member of your back end.

I forgot about Nick Schultz too. I imagine he would be a good mentor for Musil from a defensive positioning aspect.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:24 PM
McEwen

Quote:
I haven't seen enough of him to confidently give an accurate scouting report. From what I have seen of him, he isn't a guy who's going to noticeably stand out too much. He's not all that flashy and isn't the smoothest skater, but he isn't afraid to play the body and will shut down the opposition. Probably the type of player who may be under appreciated because he isn't flashy, but someone who will definitely help and be a valuable member of your back end.

I forgot about Nick Schultz too. I imagine he would be a good mentor for Musil from a defensive positioning aspect.
Hearing that about Musil makes me very happy. I hope he can turn out to be a Smid 2.0, but ultimately, I would love for him to be just like his dad. Man he was fun to watch some nights!

Old
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
OilerNut*

Some Canuck fans are thinking they can get Eberle for Luongo based on some comments from a Canucks sportswriter.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Removed link to prevent a **** storm
Old
10-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Soundwave

ROFL, I'd do Paajarvi + Dubnyk for Luongo but that's about it.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

Some Canuck fans are thinking they can get Eberle for Luongo based on some comments from a Canucks sportswriter.
I like how there is always one nuck poster that immediately pulls the "Eberle probably wants a trade because he dreamed of bigger cities as a kid" card out of the deck.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Krut

Quote:

The fact that some of them are gullible enough to A) believe anything that that Nuck worm Botchford says and B) think that the Oilers would trade Eberle for Luongo is nothing but comical.

I also wasn't too surprised to see the "Eberle obviously wants to get out of that dump Edmonton" theory in the first few posts.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Removed link to prevent a **** storm
Old
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:

It was a good read. lol.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
If all goes well...

Smid-Petry
Whitney-J.Schultz
Klefbom-N.Schultz

may actually be a well balanced group....still no stand out top pairing defenders...but could possibly round out a team which wins "as a group" (code for 'praise the Nuge')
When Klefbom breaks into the NHL I wouldn't expect to see him on the bottom pairing.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Quote:
Tweeter - Botch is there seriously a snowballs chance in hell of either?
@botchford - you'd be surprised

Omg... I'm dying here.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

Canuck fans will be seriously underwhelmed by the return for Luongo when a trade finally happens. That contract will seriously impact the return, nuck fans are delusional if they think otherwise.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 10-08-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Removed link to prevent a **** storm
Closed Thread