HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

This Hockey Life

Old
09-27-2012, 11:06 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
This Hockey Life

We are locked out. It sucks. But hockey lives on. It always does.

Sadly, I live in South Central NY state. Or as I occasionally call it, 'east bum ****' or 'the land that Darwin forgot'. A land where there if you aren't a Mennonite or Seneca, you are a minority.

BUT, there is a plethora of hockey here. Instead of commiserating the fact that I live in Purgatory. I'm going to go out.

I have Cornell an 1 hr from me for Div. I hockey
I could go to Mercyhurst in Erie, PA for Division II hockey
I have Elmira College for Div III hockey, also ECHL hockey. DONE! Cincy v. Elmira
Erie is a 4 hr drive away for CHL hockey, and hell, I could con Viqsi into meeting me!
Toronto, 4 hrs from me, has CIS hockey
Rochester for AHL hockey.

My thought is this, to fight my severe depression. Try and hit as many different types of hockey I can see. Also to use this thread to post hockey excursions by y'all.

Last edited by KevFist: 11-08-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: probably not the best thing to say on a public message board these days
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
In the past I haven't watched juniors, mostly 'cause my actual personal amateur scouting abilities exist somewhere between "delusional fantasyland" and "nowhere", but, meh. Hockey!

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:16 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'm going to Evansville for the Icemen opener on the same night that was supposed to be the Preds opener. Oh well, life goes on. It'll save me money in the meantime.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:24 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
We are locked out. It sucks.

But hockey lives on. It always does.

Sadly, I live in South Central NY state. Or as I occasionally call it, 'east bum ****' or 'the land that Darwin forgot'. A land where there if you aren't a Mennonite or Seneca, you are a minority.

BUT, there is a plethora of hockey here. Instead of commiserating the fact that I live in Purgatory. I'm going to go out.

I have Cornell an 1 hr from me for Div. I hockey
I could go to Mercyhurst in Erie, PA for Division II hockey
I have Elmira College for Div III hockey, also ECHL hockey.
Erie is a 4 hr drive away for CHL hockey, and hell, I could con Viqsi into meeting me!
Toronto, 4 hrs from me, has CIS hockey
Rochester for AHL hockey.

My thought is this, to fight my severe depression. Try and hit as many different types of hockey I can see. Also to use this thread to post hockey excursions by y'all.
I wasn't familiar with Campbell. I see that it is between Bath and Corning, so I must have driven through there about 20 years ago. I spent 1/2 a day at the glass works. They have fabulous glass art to look at. It is pretty in that area. Good wine country. I didn't know that the Senecas went down that far. I stop in to buy gasoline from them in Irving on trips to the East. It isn't as cheap as it used to be since the Feds busted them for selling untaxed cigarettes through the mail. They have to make up the money by selling gas for 20 cents a gallon less instead of 30 cents.

Hang in there BigFatCat999!

Last edited by KevFist: 11-08-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: qdp
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I wasn't familiar with Campbell. I see that it is between Bath and Corning, so I must have driven through there about 20 years ago. I spent 1/2 a day at the glass works. They have fabulous glass art to look at. It is pretty in that area. Good wine country. I didn't know that the Senecas went down that far. I stop in to buy gasoline from them in Irving on trips to the East. It isn't as cheap as it used to be since the Feds busted them for selling untaxed cigarettes through the mail. They have to make up the money by selling gas for 20 cents a gallon less instead of 30 cents.

Hang in there BigFatCat999!
Less me! More hockey!

Old
09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
adsfan

I have seen Rochester play the last two years during their traditional day after Thanksgiving Day game. They lost to Toronto and beat Albany respectively. Both games were entertaining. I have never seen an arena that sells so many different kinds of beer from different stands. I am surprised that they didn't have a beer stand for the people waiting in line to purchase tickets!

Old
10-01-2012, 01:22 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
If you're desperate for hockey you can watch the Admirals practice.

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/facebook/stream.html

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:21 PM
deanwormer

Alabama-Huntsville starts play this weekend with a home Sat/Sun pair against Alabama, then next weekend a Fri/Sat against MN St. before they go on the road for a while. If this lockout is prolonged they have a few more interesting games later in the year, although most of the expected really good ones are on the road.

Last edited by deanwormer: 10-01-2012 at 10:29 PM.
deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I love hockey, but going and watching a college team or whatever else just wouldn't do it for me. I love the game, but I'm emotionally invested in Preds hockey. I can't just take the feelings and emotions I have before, during, and after each Preds season and transfer it to just watching casually somewhere else. Won't work for me. I'd be better off pulling up a somewhat recent Preds game on GameCenter that I forgot the outcome of and just watch that again before I attempt to go get a hockey fix somewhere else just because it's hockey.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

We are reaching a critical question with this thread: Do you love your team, (the Preds) or hockey as a whole?

I love the Preds but I'm watching the NHL BOG shoot itself in the dick. Literally, I'm watching domino after domino fall leading to the NHL's demise. Point A leading to Point B and so on. My hope is the a WHA shows up, the Preds jump off the sinking ship that is the NHL. (Yes, the Preds can do that. Read Deceptions and Doublecrosses) and pro hockey lives on in this new WHA.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
RaiderDoug

Knoxville Ice Bears!!!

No, seriously, it's like 10 minutes from my house, and they have great beer specials.

I'm also going to check out the Charlotte Checkers when they play the Ads in March, if the lockout goes that long (Please, Nooooooo).

Frankly, even if it takes a whole year, I hope the NHL gets everything it wants. The Nashville Predators will not exist in an NHL where the NHLPA and Don Fehr hold the reins of power.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Knoxville Ice Bears!!!

No, seriously, it's like 10 minutes from my house, and they have great beer specials.
Minor league beer is so much more affordable... makes you wonder what is so special about big league beer?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Minor league beer is so much more affordable... makes you wonder what is so special about big league beer?
I don't usually drink alcohol at sporting events. It magnifies emotions. That is the last thing I need at an event.

In Rochester, the big cans of beer (24 oz?) cost $7. I saw the same cans at Rite-Aid in Lake George this summer for $1.79. That is a 300% mark-up!

How much does an NHL beer cost?

Old
10-02-2012, 09:19 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I don't usually drink alcohol at sporting events. It magnifies emotions. That is the last thing I need at an event.

In Rochester, the big cans of beer (24 oz?) cost $7. I saw the same cans at Rite-Aid in Lake George this summer for $1.79. That is a 300% mark-up!

How much does an NHL beer cost?
http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...eague-by-team/

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:40 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
We are reaching a critical question with this thread: Do you love your team, (the Preds) or hockey as a whole?

I love the Preds but I'm watching the NHL BOG shoot itself in the dick. Literally, I'm watching domino after domino fall leading to the NHL's demise. Point A leading to Point B and so on. My hope is the a WHA shows up, the Preds jump off the sinking ship that is the NHL. (Yes, the Preds can do that. Read Deceptions and Doublecrosses) and pro hockey lives on in this new WHA.
They tried that last time, and it failed miserably. They didn't even play a game.

People were all gloom and doom last time. "Ohhh teams are going to start folding!" "Ohhh another league is going to come along and take all of the NHL's talent!" "Ohhh they're going to use replacement players (even though they legally can't)!" "Ohhh it's the end of the NHL!" If it were going to happen, it would have happened last time, when players were getting 75% of HRR and the league had a large number of teams that were unstable or even on the verge of closing up shop.

The lockout will either get resolved, or it won't. There's nothing we can do to change or influence the process. I will most definitely be back when it's over, and if somebody doesn't want his/her tickets, I will gladly take them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm suicidal, doom and gloom follow me like the plague.

Fact is I'm watching the NHL make stupid mistake after stupid mistake. So are other business interests. They might be saying, 'Look at these people! They keep comming back year after year! We need customers like this.....HEY!'

Old
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
Thanks! I did go to a Panthers game last December. Glad that I didn't buy a $8 beer. The food selection was pretty good, from big pretzels to gourmet food.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I'm suicidal, doom and gloom follow me like the plague.

Fact is I'm watching the NHL make stupid mistake after stupid mistake. So are other business interests. They might be saying, 'Look at these people! They keep comming back year after year! We need customers like this.....HEY!'
I wish I could tell you that you are wrong. I wish...

Old
10-04-2012, 10:02 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

I love hockey as a whole. The Preds add to that but honestly coaching, playing, and watching my son and his teammates play are what really make me love this game. I enjoy the Preds games but I will continue to support the GAME a whole lot more than I will the BUSINESS.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:05 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post

I love hockey as a whole. The Preds add to that but honestly coaching, playing, and watching my son and his teammates play are what really make me love this game. I enjoy the Preds games but I will continue to support the GAME a whole lot more than I will the BUSINESS.
Love the game but when it comes to the NHL I hate the guys running the league but I love my team.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post

Can I answer with both?

I love the sport of hockey, but I also love the NHL. I love the traditions, the arenas, the big time feel, the players are the best in the world, etc, etc.

I'm not nearly as interested in lesser leagues, grassroots hockey, NCAA hockey, etc, etc, etc. Sure, I go to some SPHL games, but it's not exactly super enjoyable - I go mostly to hang out with friends and drink a few cheap beers, and would never skip watching the Preds on TV to go to an Ice Bears game.

I was a Rangers fan before the Preds came to town. If the Preds disappeared, I'd break out my blue again (still got it in a closet), but I can't ever see me not supporting the NHL.

Which is why i'm not nearly as bothered by this lockout as some folks are. I miss the NHL, but if the alternative is to continue to have a league where the stronger financial teams can strongarm smaller market teams (like we saw this summer), or a league that is similar to baseball (where you can literally buy a playoff team), then I don't care if it takes until 2020 to see the NHL again.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:52 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Need some help. Rochester for my AHL game or Bingo?

Old
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Need some help. Rochester for my AHL game or Bingo?
Rochester, hockey is energy producing!

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Rochester, hockey is energy producing!
No, Bingo is short for Binghamton

Old
10-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Headed up to visit watch the outdoor college games in CHItown coming up. Want to go on a road trip to Charlotte for Ads vs Checkers.

My main way of coping is, obviously, playing. My 97 shots against in my first two games have kept me plenty busy.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote