Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

New to Football (questions, etc)

Old
09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
LOFIN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
This may be a ridiculous question, but do most of the fans buy the new kit every season? It certainly looks like it when they pan the crowds.
Also depends on what fanbases we are talking about. Wearing kits/jerseys at games is not as popular in Europe as in NA. Most people just have a scarf of their club. I've seen more kits in the premier league than the other leagues so, I'm going to let the ones with the real knowlage to comment on that issue.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:58 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
This may be a ridiculous question, but do most of the fans buy the new kit every season? It certainly looks like it when they pan the crowds.
Yeah most fans do it's a huge source of cash for most clubs

I used to but it's not worth spending 40-50 every year on football shirts I'd only wear once or twice a week sometimes
i.e going to the occasional match or playing football

Last time I bought a kit was 2009 or 2010

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:57 AM
AlanHUK
5-14-6-1

vCash: 822
Quote:
I buy one every 3 or 4 seasons, when I was younger I'd get the new home shirt every time it came out, but back then it was every other year, now it's every year and I notice less people around the city on gamedays with the new shirts on.

Some people will still buy the new shirts every time they come out though.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
RussianRocket10

Where does everyone watch games at? I have Fox Soccer channel but they only show BPL and Champions League games. I was interested in watching all the other leagues like La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, and the german Bundesliga.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Brodie
to the hall

New shirts are really quite cheap all things considered... it's important to remember that for all practical purposes 40 == $40 in terms of pricing, so it's not even in the same cost stratosphere as, say, buying a new NHL jersey every season.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
I buy one every 3 or 4 seasons, when I was younger I'd get the new home shirt every time it came out, but back then it was every other year, now it's every year and I notice less people around the city on gamedays with the new shirts on.

Some people will still buy the new shirts every time they come out though.

Yeah, the annual kit change is ridiculous especially in today's economy.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Hey guys, how do you guys clean your kits? Dry clean? I'm afraid that regular washing would ruin mine.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

It is interesting that fans are often wearing the latest kit in the stands.

In the NHL, there's a certain amount of cachet in having older jerseys.

Often the changes in football kit can be fairly incremental so I generally don't buy a new one unless the sponsor changes or there's a different look entirely.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Hey guys, how do you guys clean your kits? Dry clean? I'm afraid that regular washing would ruin mine.
No replica shirt of mine has ever been ruined by a washing machine.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Often the changes in football kit can be fairly incremental so I generally don't buy a new one unless the sponsor changes or there's a different look entirely.
There's a north-eastern company that has sold old time football shirts since 1990. They've become rather well-established internationally and other firms have subsequently jumped on the bandwagon. The noughties was a boom time for sales in the UK. A fair few people prefer to buy older designs than the contemporary designs, especially given the tendency to annual kit changes in recent times.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Some old ones are certainly classy. Especially since you can get a legend on the back, and then wear that forever. I have a Ripken jersey for the Orioles, and I'll be able to rock that forever.

As for cleaning, I often just flip it inside out if I'm worried about the iron on numbers, and it's fine. if you're concerned about machine wash, do it on a light/delicate cycle. It's just a replica. After a while, it's going to get a bit shoddy.

Bigger part for me is making sure I don't put it in the dryer, and let it air dry on the rack.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:36 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Can a player switch national teams midway through his career, or a season (assuming he is eligible)?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:11 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Can a player switch national teams midway through his career, or a season (assuming he is eligible)?
There have been a handful of exemptions (Thiago Motta Brazil/Italy), but once you've played a competitive game (World Cup qualifier or better) for your nation's senior team, no.

FIFA has specific criteria defining "clear connection" as where you live or where your mother/father/grandparents were born. I think there's also a provision for countries that have undergone geopolitical change, for guys who might have played for Yugoslavia but after the civil war didn't want to play for independent Serbia, or for Mubarak's Egypt but no longer want to be associated with it.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:19 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Modern kits are very well made; I wash mine with minimal soap, on gentle settings with 1-2 other identical color kits, and remove them from the washing machine immediately after they're done, but they don't get damaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

The replica kit demographic in Europe and North America are totally different in my experience.

England, the United States, Korea and Japan buy a ton of replica kits up until the age of 30 or so, and almost always put a player name on the back. This year's kit blows last year's kit away in England.

No German adult would ever wear a replica kit, and teenagers/young adults rarely have a player name, but Germans wear tons of team licensed clothing -- polo shirts, baseball caps, sweatshirts, etc.

Eastern Europe -- Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania specifically -- are 100% scarf and flag cultures that wear team colors but almost never wear replica kits.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

What counts as a shot on target? In hockey, a shot on goal is either anything that is saved by the goalie or a goal scored. Shots that hit the post don't count. But in soccer, do shots that hit the post count as a shot on target?

Old
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Corey Perry*

How'd Chelsea make Champions league if they didn't finish in the top 4 in BPL last year?

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

The champions get an automatic berth in next year's CL.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Corey Perry*

That's what I was thinking.... Thanks.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:25 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Are there any good sites for injuries and possible return dates for the EPL?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Are there any good sites for injuries and possible return dates for the EPL?
Here

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:37 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Awesome, thanks buddy!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:54 AM
kg458
Capstronaut

I have a question I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

I'm currently planning a trip for my father, brother and myself to the UK around the end of December/ beginning of January. We're planning on spending a little more than a week there, and as a result I was looking into trying to buy tickets online to a few matches that we would like to catch while we're there. I definitely wanted to try and find tickets for a match at Elland road since my father used to live in Leeds, but other than that we're pretty open to teams to see and cities to visit.

Anyway, I've been looking online to try and buy tickets for various matches and at all the team websites I've looked at, they either aren't selling tickets at all (unless you're a club member), or simply aren't selling tickets for matches that far away yet (last week of December). I personally wouldn't mind just trying to scalp tickets, but I'm fairly confident this wouldn't be ideal for my dad, so I was wondering if any of you had tips for buying tickets online. Am I simply looking to early? Is it really that hard to get tickets online for an EPL team if you're not a club member? Are there any other non-team websites I should look at? Thanks.

kg458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

try posting at a club's forum. I don't know Leeds supporters main hangout, but I'm sure with google you can find some of the locals. they might be able to suggest, just tell them where and what you want to do. That's the easiest.

You can also figure on the match fixtures. If it's not a big fixture (with a teams rivals or with title implications) you probably can get tickets at the gate itself, or if you call in advance.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnit458 View Post
I have a question I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

I'm currently planning a trip for my father, brother and myself to the UK around the end of December/ beginning of January. We're planning on spending a little more than a week there, and as a result I was looking into trying to buy tickets online to a few matches that we would like to catch while we're there. I definitely wanted to try and find tickets for a match at Elland road since my father used to live in Leeds, but other than that we're pretty open to teams to see and cities to visit.

Anyway, I've been looking online to try and buy tickets for various matches and at all the team websites I've looked at, they either aren't selling tickets at all (unless you're a club member), or simply aren't selling tickets for matches that far away yet (last week of December). I personally wouldn't mind just trying to scalp tickets, but I'm fairly confident this wouldn't be ideal for my dad, so I was wondering if any of you had tips for buying tickets online. Am I simply looking to early? Is it really that hard to get tickets online for an EPL team if you're not a club member? Are there any other non-team websites I should look at? Thanks.
Leeds so far this season have averaged 10-15,000 unsold tickets per home game. You should have no trouble finding tickets unless they play Sheffield Wedesday at home.

Club membership for overseas fans cost 32 and gets priority on ticket sales (after ST holders).

Old
11-04-2012, 06:12 AM
kg458
Capstronaut

The Leeds tickets were the only ones I didn't have trouble getting. I've been looking around at matches for another day (for PL teams) and I think I'm just looking to early. The big clubs seem to be membership only, but midtable teams and below seem to have general sale for only a few weeks in the future. I guess I'll just keep looking as we get closer to the end of the year.

kg458 is offline   Reply With Quote