HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So... No Extension for Edler..?

Old
10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 0
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Would you rather have two Edlers, or one Weber? Me, I'd take one Weber.
I would easily have the Edler twins on the PP with the Sedin twins!

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:12 AM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Would you rather have two Edlers, or one Weber? Me, I'd take one Weber.
How does your hypothetical situation relate to real-life?

FYI, I would take one Weber over two of many defensemen in this league, but it doesn't neccessarily mean those defensemen are only worth half of what Weber is making. That's not how the market works.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post

FYI, I would take one Weber over two of many defensemen in this league, but it doesn't neccessarily mean those defensemen are only worth half of what Weber is making. That's not how the market works.
Perhaps a better question is: Would you rather have one Luongo and one Edler, or one Dion Phaneuf?

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Perhaps a better question is: Would you rather have one Luongo and one Edler, or one Dion Phaneuf?
What? What does Luongo have to do with this?

10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
That's not what I said.

2 million is a pretty substantial difference, and I think that reflects the difference in skills between Edler and the other two defenseman
If Edler made $2M less a year than Weber (never mind the absurd term of Weber's deal) it would be a 35% difference in salary, I amnot sure what people don't understand about that.

Hey kids, omg, what if WEBER stops producing. He's signed forever. Remember Redden? Although at least Weber plays a vital role in his teams' playoff success. Amirite?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Perhaps you should be questioning the fictional Edler?

Old
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

I would take 1 Weber over 6 Aaron Romes.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I would take 1 Weber over 6 Aaron Romes.
I see your 6 Aaron Rome's and raise you 1000 Andrew Alberts.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Perhaps you should be questioning the fictional Edler?
I am so confused right now.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I see your 6 Aaron Rome's and raise you 1000 Andrew Alberts.
Obviously you do not understand the salary cap or NHL roster restrictions.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Scurr

Quote:
If Edler made $2M less a year than Weber (never mind the absurd term of Weber's deal) it would be a 35% difference in salary, I amnot sure what people don't understand about that.
2m is not 35% of 7.8m.

Edler is much closer to Garrison than Weber, we should be talking about that comparison.

Quote:
Hey kids, omg, what if WEBER stops producing. He's signed forever. Remember Redden? Although at least Weber plays a vital role in his teams' playoff success. Amirite?
Players can regress at any time, you just hope that if they do you aren't also paying them for potential they never reached.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
2m is not 35% of 7.8m.

Edler is much closer to Garrison than Weber, we should be talking about that comparison.
2 million of 5.8 million is 35%. If we spend 35% more, do we get 35% increase in production?

Edler at 5.8 is closer to Garrison than he is to Weber still. And there is no comparison here. They're different players, but I know you like to use non-comparables because the actual comparisons don't suit your argument.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Scurr

Quote:
They're different players, but I know you like to use non-comparables because the actual comparisons don't suit your argument.
It'll be interesting to see how Garrison's point totals are affected by playing with the Canucks. Besides, you have to compare more than just the 50 points, that seems to be the only thing that matters to Canuck fans when it comes to Edler.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:17 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Besides, you have to compare more than just the 50 points, that seems to be the only thing that matters to Canuck fans when it comes to Edler.
And you keep avoiding the fact that point total for offensive d-men (and for forwards) plays a massive role in any contract negotiations. It's the accepted benchmark

So what's a better comparison for Edler? Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison or Wisniewski/Enstrom?

Old
10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how Garrison's point totals are affected by playing with the Canucks. Besides, you have to compare more than just the 50 points, that seems to be the only thing that matters to Canuck fans when it comes to Edler.
When it came to justifying trading a 20 goal (ish) scoring rookie center man for a 4th line rookie, several members ignored the point total and instead vilified Hodgson for receiving sheltered minutes and having underwhelming CORSI and possession stats. Yet when it comes time to talk about Edler, those advanced stats don't matter and its all about the points? I just don't get it.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
When it came to justifying trading a 20 goal (ish) scoring rookie center man for a 4th line rookie, several members ignored the point total and instead vilified Hodgson for receiving sheltered minutes and having underwhelming CORSI and possession stats. Yet when it comes time to talk about Edler, those advanced stats don't matter and its all about the points? I just don't get it.
You're right, it is absolutely this black and white.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I'm sure you've never been a little hypocritical on here

Has Edler been hounding the team to play top minutes like a certain 20ish goal scoring rookie's camp was when putting up bad CORSI and possession stats?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Scurr

Quote:
So what's a better comparison for Edler? Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison or Wisniewski/Enstrom?
I don't feel like the 50 Edler put up is the same as the 50 those other guys put up. Playing on the Canucks has a positive impact on defensemen's point totals. Our defensemen are expected to support the rush and we are amongst the most pinch heavy teams in the league. Edler also benefits from playing with elite players on the PP. I don't mean for that to sound like I'm slagging Edler and I'm definitely not saying that he isn't a good player, he is. When he's going right, he has stretches where he puts up points at a 60 point clip, that's when he's putting up points like a 5.5m dollar defensemen imo. Unfortunately, he hasn't done it consistently. I don't think there is anything wrong with challenging him to put it all together this season to earn that big payday. Honestly, with Garrison as partner, I think he has a great year.

Beyond that, the Wis contract was a desperate move by a desperate team. Enstrom had a good year at both ends of the rink. Edler doesn't usually get the tough assignments like Enstrom does, a 5.5m dollar defensemen should be able to come out ahead against that competition.

Last edited by Scurr: 10-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Would you trade: Luongo and Edler for Phaneuf?

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Hell no.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
mriswith

Presumably we let Ehrhoff walk so that signings like Edler's wouldn't break the bank when we reup his contract.

If Edler walks, then Gillis' cap plan was a total failure.
Quote:
Is this a trick question? No, and to use hf's favorite sentence... it's not even close.

mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
Presumably we let Ehrhoff walk so that signings like Edler's wouldn't break the bank when we reup his contract.

If Edler walks, then Gillis' cap plan was a total failure.
We have great contracts up and down the lineup, Gillis cap plan has been a great success.

If we sign Ehrhoff for 5.5m then we don't get Garrison for 4.6m, and Garrison might turn out to be the better player.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Lundface

Signing him for 5.5 or less is not a problem IMO. He is the only reliable point producer on the back end, and the only defencemen we have that can manufacture offence on his own ( No Bieksa doesn't have his vision or passing).

If he is stubborn and wants more, sign him to a contract that doesn't have a NTC and trade him for something of worth. There will be teams lining up for his services, and a pretty hefty return could be had.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
We have great contracts up and down the lineup, Gillis cap plan has been a great success.

If we sign Ehrhoff for 5.5m then we don't get Garrison for 4.6m, and Garrison might turn out to be the better player.

I was kind of musing on this the other day: Which will help this team more: Garrison or Ehrhoff? Essentially, this is the swap.

We know that when Edler had a legit right-side partner in Ehrhoff, both excelled offensively. But perhaps Garrison will provide more balance? The key is still the chemistry between the two. I think Garrison is smart enough to play alongside Edler, but then I also thought the same of Salo... That didn't work out so well.

In fairness, Salo was a shade of his former self, so all things weren't equal. Interesting question nonetheless.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Signing him for 5.5 or less is not a problem IMO. He is the only reliable point producer on the back end, and the only defencemen we have that can manufacture offence on his own ( No Bieksa doesn't have his vision or passing).

If he is stubborn and wants more, sign him to a contract that doesn't have a NTC and trade him for something of worth. There will be teams lining up for his services, and a pretty hefty return could be had.
I agree with this. And despite my assessment of Edler which (for whatever reason people disagree with) I have always maintained that we should sign him to numbers that you mention above.