HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 10:09 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
SiriusXM's Opie & Anthony show, from 5-9 am, monday - friday, get's my mornings by quite enjoyably.

Old
09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
reading is great but please consider listening to npr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
NPR can be insufferable in its own unique self-aggrandizing way.

Let me do some mansplainin' about NPR. NPR started out as a respectable alternative to the bullcrap reporting quality we get from TV news, especially as related to politics. It is now far-left-leaning, but has always been left in general. That was fine until they screwed up; I don't mind sources that are modestly left of center or modestly right of center.

However I "loss a lotta respet" for NPR when they canned Juan Williams because he dared to debate and associate with Fox among his many other journalistic endeavors. Fox is clearly a joke of a news network (like MSNBC) but the reality is Williams is an excellent reporter and documentarian and was doing the right thing. He was standing up and calmly debating blowhards like O'Reilly without name-calling or sticking to talking points, etc. I think Williams is the only guy that O'Reilly actually showed respect for in turn, because he would listen without dismissing out of hand and following the media script. Interesting when you think about it and how our "tv educators" behave these days.

But the director at NPR would have none of it, and basically threatened him to stop dealing with Fox, or lose his job. He stood on principle, and lost his job.

Read the book Muzzled. It gives about 10 or 15 pages (small pages) on how it all transpired, why he refused to stop dealing with Fox and idiots like O'Reilly and Hannity, and on some of his other accomplishments as a writer which speak for themselves and prove he's not some mouthpiece. The rest of the book is dedicated to something very important: reviving a spirit of real political debate in this country that has been killed by the cable media most notably. Debating without divisiveness and spin, and improving the quality of all our votes and understanding as a consequence.

And that's sort of the point. NPR has now joined the mouthpiece parade you see on cable news and network news, and it's a shame.

Want good news / coverage: NYT for anything not tied to a political race; BBC online for daily news (even better at covering US stories than US outlets); Economist for serious understanding of political issues and economics / business. You can learn a ton and without the obscene right-leaning of the WSJ or left-leaning of other outlets. They are conservative but intelligently so.

[/splainin]

And now, 3 Cheers for the Lockout because who wants to talk hockey when you can talk NPR!

Old
09-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Want good news / coverage: NYT for anything not tied to a political race; BBC online for daily news (even better at covering US stories than US outlets); Economist for serious understanding of political issues and economics / business. You can learn a ton and without the obscene right-leaning of the WSJ or left-leaning of other outlets. They are conservative but intelligently so.

[/splainin]
These are good recommendations. I'd add Foreign Affairs for in depth coverage of international politics.

While I'm out of lurk mode, you guys shouldn't be sweating Marcantuoni's offensive drought. He's looked great in spite of not registering on the score sheet.

*throws down smoke bomb and disappears in a puff of smoke*

Old
09-29-2012, 12:54 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Let me do some mansplainin' about NPR. NPR started out as a respectable alternative to the bullcrap reporting quality we get from TV news, especially as related to politics. It is now far-left-leaning, but has always been left in general. That was fine until they screwed up; I don't mind sources that are modestly left of center or modestly right of center.

However I "loss a lotta respet" for NPR when they canned Juan Williams because he dared to debate and associate with Fox among his many other journalistic endeavors. Fox is clearly a joke of a news network (like MSNBC) but the reality is Williams is an excellent reporter and documentarian and was doing the right thing. He was standing up and calmly debating blowhards like O'Reilly without name-calling or sticking to talking points, etc. I think Williams is the only guy that O'Reilly actually showed respect for in turn, because he would listen without dismissing out of hand and following the media script. Interesting when you think about it and how our "tv educators" behave these days.

But the director at NPR would have none of it, and basically threatened him to stop dealing with Fox, or lose his job. He stood on principle, and lost his job.

Read the book Muzzled. It gives about 10 or 15 pages (small pages) on how it all transpired, why he refused to stop dealing with Fox and idiots like O'Reilly and Hannity, and on some of his other accomplishments as a writer which speak for themselves and prove he's not some mouthpiece. The rest of the book is dedicated to something very important: reviving a spirit of real political debate in this country that has been killed by the cable media most notably. Debating without divisiveness and spin, and improving the quality of all our votes and understanding as a consequence.

And that's sort of the point. NPR has now joined the mouthpiece parade you see on cable news and network news, and it's a shame.

[/splainin]

And now, 3 Cheers for the Lockout because who wants to talk hockey when you can talk NPR!
Where do you rank Al Jazeera? Personally, I like it better than BBC on line. Do you use any aggregators?

Old
09-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:

appreciate the in depth response Chancellor.

i'd agree that the NYT is great on the whole but i too am a bit weary of their political reportage, same goes for their book coverage (Michiko Kakutani, 'nuff said).

Foreign Affairs is great (at least when they're not kissing Zbigniew Brzezinski's ass).

i'd say that there exists a legitimate, albeit far more rare, criticism of NPR from the left.

i read Chris Matthews' book The Power Game back in high school and it had a profound influence on my understanding of politics and my respect for the role of the journalist in the political realm. the shrill haggard hack who now shows up on MSNBC cannot be the man who so inspired me while taking AP Government.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
These are good recommendations. I'd add Foreign Affairs for in depth coverage of international politics.

While I'm out of lurk mode, you guys shouldn't be sweating Marcantuoni's offensive drought. He's looked great in spite of not registering on the score sheet.

*throws down smoke bomb and disappears in a puff of smoke*
A) Macaroni will be Legend when it's all said and done.

B) Foreign Affairs is very good but be aware it is not journalism; those articles amount to very long-form editorials. Well researched editorials but they always have agendas. Usually with big issues, the publication will post one from each side in a given edition. Example: they might have one 20 page article on why intervening in Syria is a bad idea, and one that explains why it's a good idea. You can certainly learn a lot but they are editorial nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Where do you rank Al Jazeera? Personally, I like it better than BBC on line. Do you use any aggregators?
Al Jazeera actually does a good job on international stories as far as TV news. What I don't like about Al Jazeera is that they have some "Firing Line" type talk shows that are heinously biased. They will for example, throw 3 academics and a former general on a panel and talk about the Iraq war. Guess where that's going. But for their actual journalistic coverage, it's not bad.

As with the NYT, I stay away from political commentary with Al Jazeera and just stick to news reporting type stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
appreciate the in depth response Chancellor.

i'd agree that the NYT is great on the whole but i too am a bit weary of their political reportage
Yep, as mentioned NYT is too far left-leaning to be relied upon for political analysis during election season especially. The same is true in teh other direction for the WSJ. For general business, national events, technology, health (not related to legislation), the NYT is still "the paper of record." It's the best newspaper in the country still but they have slipped a little the last 15 years or so, hiring too many left-wing editorialists and such. Probably cyclic. In 20 years that might not be true any longer.

MSNBC: Matthews has fallen a long, long way. It's sad.

I have little more respect for MSNBC than I do Fox, because they have stooped to Fox' level, but in the other direction. About the only thing I can say for them is they got rid of Olbermann who is an insufferable *******. Talk about a guy who wastes his intelligence on the circus. The only guy I like on that network is the one who is on 8am weekend mornings (Chris Hayes). He's definitely liberal but he's very smart, fair-minded when asking questions, and does call out mistakes of liberals fairing often. Not just a GOP basher like most of the other MSNBC commentators.

Shows like Morning Joe piss me off no end. I hate the format in general. It ruins political discussion and makes people less informed for watching it. Here we have a bunch of supposed serious news commentators and they sit there with dickheads like Donny Deutsch (advertising mogul last I read), talking about last night's Knicks game, the latest PR piece for whichever author they're plugging, and the usual coverage of how politicians perform on TV. Makes me sick but I guess it's better than crap like GMA and Today Show, which should just be called what they are: variety shows... and kill all aspects of attempted "reporting" which is a total joke the way they do it.

Americans have become used to the idea that news people are entertainers and it's producing some very scary results for anyone who understands the linkage between a free press and the Constitution of the United States and the role it is supposed to serve. Something like 2500 major news outlets... are now owned by 4 entertainment companies / conglomerates.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 09-29-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 06:30 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

I'd say where I usually get my news from but I already know it probably wouldn't be very popular and I'm not interested in getting into that kind of debate.

Old
09-30-2012, 02:16 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
A) Macaroni will be Legend when it's all said and done.
He came to bury the puck, not to praise it.

Old
09-30-2012, 06:52 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Geno tweeted this photo

Old
09-30-2012, 12:24 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'd say where I usually get my news from but I already know it probably wouldn't be very popular and I'm not interested in getting into that kind of debate.
Um... don't you mean the Channel 4 News team Mr. Burgundy?

Old
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
I must be getting old because I don't even like Mike & Mike in the Morning anymore. Not that they ever covered hockey (they didn't) but it was at least entertaining and different from the rest of their coverage. I think I got burned out on it. Then I turned to C-Span in the morning and went from bored to alternately pissed off and depressed about my country.

Now I am leaving the TV off in the morning and trying to catch up on my reading instead.
Mike and Mike is terrible and has been for at least 6 years. If it doesn't revolve around ESPN's Big 3 (NY, BOS, LA), it's not brought up on the show.

I've actually found myself watching less sports than I ever have in the last three or four months. NHL Network is on loop, playing the same stuff from last year and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. NFL was unwatchable because of mediocre refs from the Lingerie Football League. Baseball? Even with the Pirates doing their best imitation of a winning team over the summer, I couldn't bring myself to go to a game, and I'm like 5 min from the park....with rush hour traffic.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Um... don't you mean the Channel 4 News team Mr. Burgundy?

Something like that.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:13 AM
JTG

I used to enjoy Mike & Mike, but it has changed over the years. Way too much basketball, and when they talk about football, it's the typical ESPN schtick. Jets, Giants, Pats, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:55 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I used to enjoy Mike & Mike, but it has changed over the years. Way too much basketball, and when they talk about football, it's the typical ESPN schtick. Jets, Giants, Pats, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning.
NFL: Jets, Giants, Pats, Tombrady (yes, all one word), Mannings, Rex Ryan, Tebow, and maybe now Saints/bounty and Packers.
NBA: Lakers, Kobe, Lebron, Heat
MLB: Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Jeter
NHL: 5 seconds every 6 months

Old
10-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
NFL: Jets, Giants, Pats, Tombrady (yes, all one word), Mannings, Rex Ryan, Tebow, and maybe now Saints/bounty and Packers.
NBA: Lakers, Kobe, Lebron, Heat
MLB: Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Jeter
NHL: 5 seconds every 6 months
Yah that about sums it up. Pretty sad.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Matt duchene to play for Frölunda in SEL as per their official fb. **** yeah!
Now bring over Loui Eriksson and Lundqvist and witness the firepower!

Via the phone

Old
10-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Burgs

Three games into their Crimmitschau adventure, Simmonds has 4 assists and was clearly the best player on the ice every game, Stewart has 2 assists. They're a bit snake-bitten and need to play more selfish because their linemates flub a lot of chances they create. Today Stewart got into a little fight with former Nailers captain Andrew Lord who was asking for it all game, otherwise both play very restrained. They also looked completely blown away by the awesome game atmosphere, tradionally about the only thing the club has going for them. An OT win in front of a packed house against the biggest, inter-state rival will do that for you.

Last edited by Burgs: 10-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

There are times when I doubt either of them (Mike and Mike) know what the original topic was. Every discussion just turns into a showing match between the two. It's embarrassing really.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Three games into their Crimmitschau adventure, Simmonds has 4 assists and was clearly the best player on the ice every game, Stewart has 2 assists. They're a bit snake-bitten and need to play more selfish because their linemates flub a lot of chances they create. Today Stewart got into a little fight with former Nailers captain Andrew Lord who was asking for it all game, otherwise both play very restrained. They also looked completely blown away by the awesome game atmosphere, tradionally about the only thing the club has going for them. An OT win in front of a packed house against the biggest, inter-state rival will do that for you.
I like the loaner car the team gave them.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
There are times when I doubt either of them (Mike and Mike) know what the original topic was. Every discussion just turns into a showing match between the two. It's embarrassing really.
I like how they rag on their stats producer guy because he's a geek, when he probably knows 10x more than both of them put together.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Florentino Ariza

The NY Times is definitely my favorite newspaper, for the quality of its articles and the breadth of topics that they cover. They usually have very good comments from readers, too.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Old
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
stayinalive

German Media and TSN report that Briere and Giroux are going to play for Eisbären Berlin!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406743

Old
10-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

who is that? and where is he?

Old
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
German Media and TSN report that Briere and Giroux are going to play for Eisbären Berlin!
Match made in heaven. Two players I hate on the team I can't stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
who is that? and where is he?
That's the Frölunda logo (Swedish Elitserien club based in Gothenburg) and the guy is Matt Duchene. Guess he got tired of hanging out training with Sid.

Edit: I just remembered I travelled there to watch hockey games during the last lockout...

Closed Thread