HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dion Phaneuf

Old
10-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Intense Rage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He's not a better forward, he's a better scorer. I'll agree that he can create chances better than Marleau, but even that's debatable. Other than their skating, which I think is pretty even, Marleau is superior in every other facet of the game, playmaking(which I think is an area Kessel is very underrated in), defensive play, boardwork etc.

Also he was a stud for me in NHL 11.
I don't think its debatable that Kessel can create better chances than Marleau. Last year Kessel was definitely the superior player offensively and I don't find it particularly close either.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:06 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
What would it take for a team to get him from the Leafs?

As much as people hate on this guy, he has a very rare ability to change the flow of a game when he wants to. Impact players are hard to come by, even if they have massive contracts. So what would be expected back, from a fanbase point of view?
Moving Phaneuf isn't helping the team at all. Even if it's for a first line center. You're just creating a new hole.

As much as Leaf fans like to mentione Gardiner or Rielly being a potential number 1, they haven't earned that yet. And if either does (I still maintain that Phaneuf is a number 1 dman in this league and top 15 dman but I digress), they don't offer what Phaneuf does.

Phaneuf has that booming shot you want on a team, he's got that physicality you want on your first pairing. Neither Rielly nor Gardiner can replace that.

Phaneuf being moved only happens for a big, big package. 1st and b level prospect is not enough. He takes far more crap than he deserves.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Bear View Post
Something is off in Dion's skating, especially when he is pivoting from backwards to forward skating. I dont think his hip has fully recovered, maybe this year off could do him some good.
That's actually interesting. I sort of noticed his transitions last year being a little rough at points but never really thought anything of it.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:18 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Hmmm...Phil Kessel anyone? All-world talent, little to no heart? Yet Leaf fans still worship the ice he skates on...why is it any different for Marleau? Because he's a Shark & not a Leaf?
There is a difference in consistently trying to avoid physical play when the player is Kessel's size compared to Marleau's. It's kind of stupid for Kessel to play that way.

There, you learned something.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Subban has more value than Phaneuf so forget about him + a first.

A Plekanec for Phaneuf could be worked on but adding a 1st on our side or your side is an absolute turn off for both.
Forget Plekanec.

He simply isn't a big enough upgrade over Connolly/Bozak to justify moving Phaneuf.

Realistically, there's only 1 player on Montreal that it would make the Leafs a better team without Dion Phaneuf... and it's not Tomas Plekanec, PK Subban, or Max Pacioretty... it's Carey Price, and we all know that's not happening.

When making proposals, you have to consider what both teams are trying to accomplish. In the case of the Leafs, you've got a team who needs to get better immediately and eradicate a culture of losing. Pacioretty would be a welcome upgrade to the Leafs group of wingers, as Plekanec would be to the Leafs group of centres, but the difference between those two and what the Leafs currently have at those positions is not as substantial as the difference between Phaneuf and the guys that would have to take his minutes.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:55 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Good to see it took 3 whole pages before this became a "Player A is Better Than Phil Kessel" thread.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Good to see it took 3 whole pages before this became a "Player A is Better Than Phil Kessel" thread.
Happens in every Leafs thread.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Forget Plekanec.

He simply isn't a big enough upgrade over Connolly/Bozak to justify moving Phaneuf.

Realistically, there's only 1 player on Montreal that it would make the Leafs a better team without Dion Phaneuf... and it's not Tomas Plekanec, PK Subban, or Max Pacioretty... it's Carey Price, and we all know that's not happening.

When making proposals, you have to consider what both teams are trying to accomplish. In the case of the Leafs, you've got a team who needs to get better immediately and eradicate a culture of losing. Pacioretty would be a welcome upgrade to the Leafs group of wingers, as Plekanec would be to the Leafs group of centres, but the difference between those two and what the Leafs currently have at those positions is not as substantial as the difference between Phaneuf and the guys that would have to take his minutes.
The only thing I would take without Price or Subban is Plek+Pac for Phaneuf+Lupul.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:24 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
The only thing I would take without Price or Subban is Plek+Pac for Phaneuf+Lupul.
Honestly.. that's not even a good deal. Toronto's problem isn't scoring goals. They're also not good enough at centre with Grabovski/Plekanec, so you're creating a hole on the team, but not really filling one.

Sure, Pacioretty is a nice piece. But the Leafs have JvR, Kulemin, Kessel, MacArthur and of course Lupul. Scoring on the wing isn't an issue.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Gavy

Quote:
And he'd still be the best forward on the Leafs.
Yet another poster I now know to not take serious

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Gavy

Quote:
He's not a better forward, he's a better scorer. I'll agree that he can create chances better than Marleau, but even that's debatable. Other than their skating, which I think is pretty even, Marleau is superior in every other facet of the game, playmaking(which I think is an area Kessel is very underrated in), defensive play, boardwork etc.

Also he was a stud for me in NHL 11.
Kessel is better than Marleau, give it a rest. Put Thornton on Kessels line and lets see what happens

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote