HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Free*

vCash: 500
NHL Fan Boycott

Both sides of the NHL lockout are squabbling over money that that they see is owed to them. We're on the brink of losing an NHL season - AGAIN - because both sides are guilty of greed.

Let us not forget whose money they are fighting over. Our money. It's not even theirs that they are fighting over, they're fighting over the "theoretical dollars" that they project for us to spend on their game, their merch, and their brand.

How about this: We launch an NHL Fan Boycott petititon whereby we, the fans, vow to not spend a penny, or watch a single game, of the NHL for every game that is locked out. That means if it takes 50 games to figure out that we might just stop giving them our money, we boycott an additional 50 games. If they lose the season, we refuse to watch or spend money on the next season. Then they can start *****ing about a significantly smaller sum of money.

With the internet, and places like HF, it would be relatively easy to do, and maybe - just maybe - the owners and players would start to realize that if they keep treating their fans and their money as a given, they won't have any of either.

Ideally, we and the power of the internet, can end this ******** lockout before it even starts.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Free*: 10-02-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Crows*

I think it's a terrific idea and could theoretically work.

Unfortunately when hockey does come back, we will all come crawling back foaming at the mouth

Old
10-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Free*

Be that as it may, if we got 50,000 fans on board to sign the petition - or maybe even many times that - the NHL might realize that its fans aren't going to just take such abuse.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

I have been considering something like this myself in order to try and feel a little less helpless. So far I'm not sure if I'm willing to do anything unless the season is completely canceled. I haven't decided if I want to take it beyond that, but currently my thinking is that I if the season is canceled I vow not to spend a single penny on any purchase that is NHL-related for a full season.

10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Crows*

Personally, I hope the NHL loses a lot of fans and attendance is bad when they do come back. Because as long as we keep coming back, especially in record numbers like after the last lockout, this will keep happening.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Free*

That's good enough. If I made the petition, would you e-sign it?

Old
10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I would sign it but once you get a certain number of signatures you would have to send it to the NHL along with we got this many signatures in this many days. I'd go for at least 250,000 and hopefully more.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:44 PM
berklon

Petitions rarely work.

They're just going to assume you're bluffing and will come back regardless. To them it's an idle threat. After all, you came back after the last lockout killed a whole season.

Sit tight and if the season is shortened (almost guaranteed now I think) or scrapped - then vote with your wallet and boycott them - for real. Let them suffer and crawl on their hands and knees to get your business back (lower prices, etc).

In my opinion, there's really nothing you can do at this point.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:45 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldVonKimblestein View Post
I have been considering something like this myself in order to try and feel a little less helpless. So far I'm not sure if I'm willing to do anything unless the season is completely canceled. I haven't decided if I want to take it beyond that, but currently my thinking is that I if the season is canceled I vow not to spend a single penny on any purchase that is NHL-related for a full season.
agreed

my mom was going to bring me to the NHL store when she visited me this weekend and i told her i didnt want to buy anything until the lockout is over

Old
10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Ideally, we and the power of the internet, can end this ******** lockout before it even starts.
First, it won't work - people will still spend their money. And even if people stop temporarily, it's one of those "Let's not buy gas on Thursday!" things that doesn't work for obvious reasons.

Second, the lockout has already started.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Jasper

vCash: 600
I'd be on board aside from the watching on tv part. Seriously, anyone who's a fan enough to be on these boards isn't going to be able to ignore the games on tv. I can see a petition to not spend a cent on anything..tickets, concessions, jerseys, whatever, including whatever products are advertised during the commercials to the best of our conscious abilities. That would be more realistic.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
patnyrnyg

Pay me scalper rates for my Rangers home opener tickets and I won't go to the game. You can burn the tickets for all I care.

Old
10-02-2012, 05:57 PM
amit916

Vote with your wallet... that's really the only way to grab attention....

Unfortunately, one person won't grab it, but if enough do it, you can create a sizeable dent in their revenues.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Kloparren
Hth

People don't have enough restraint for this.

There are middle class families spending thousands on the NHL per year, getting new jerseys and lots of tickets + merch every yr sadly.

I agree something needs to be done and I'm sure that the revenues will not be as high immediately at least but a large boycutt won't occur just because of the lack of restraint.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:02 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
People don't have enough restraint for this.

There are middle class families spending thousands on the NHL per year, getting new jerseys and lots of tickets + merch every yr sadly.

I agree something needs to be done and I'm sure that the revenues will not be as high immediately at least but a large boycutt won't occur just because of the lack of restraint.
Not a lack of restraint. I would do it for a game. However, I am not eating the money. If someone wants to pay for my tickets and stay home, then no problem.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:16 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

What I think would be really cool is a one game boycott opening night whenever it is to see 30 nhl arenas empty would be amazing.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:23 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
What I think would be really cool is a one game boycott opening night whenever it is to see 30 nhl arenas empty would be amazing.

You're not going to get any Kings fan to stay away from opening night whenever it may be. They're going to be there to see the banner raised for the first time in franchise history and they're going to be there wearing all of the jerseys and Stanley Cup Champions merchandise they bought this summer.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Wolf357

I do think this could work if it gets wheels...
However you guys in NY, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, L.A, Philly, Really have to be in on this.
The NHL wouldnt care if the small market teams boycotted so much... But if this could catch on with Facebook, Twitter...then maybe at least the NHL wont bend the fans over next time there is a contract renewal.
After the '94 workstoppage MLB had a huge drop in attandance and only reganed after the Homrun derby between Mcguire/Sossa. There hasnt been a work stoppage since.
We the fans came back in droves after the last workstopage, They NHL/PA takes us for granted..guaranteed.
I am all for this...but this has to be a Big Market inniciative for this to work.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:28 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
As soon as I miss a hockey game, I'm cancelling my T.V provider. Beyond that, I wouldn't pay a dime extra regardless if the lock-out ends or not. What do you buy anyways?

Old
10-02-2012, 06:30 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Both sides of the NHL lockout are squabbling over money that that they see is owed to them. We're on the brink of losing an NHL season - AGAIN - because both sides are guilty of greed.

Let us not forget whose money they are fighting over. Our money. It's not even theirs that they are fighting over, they're fighting over the "theoretical dollars" that they project for us to spend on their game, their merch, and their brand.

How about this: We launch an NHL Fan Boycott petititon whereby we, the fans, vow to not spend a penny, or watch a single game, of the NHL for every game that is locked out. That means if it takes 50 games to figure out that we might just stop giving them our money, we boycott an additional 50 games. If they lose the season, we refuse to watch or spend money on the next season. Then they can start *****ing about a significantly smaller sum of money.

With the internet, and places like HF, it would be relatively easy to do, and maybe - just maybe - the owners and players would start to realize that if they keep treating their fans and their money as a given, they won't have any of either.

Thoughts?
Nah.

But ig you told me, lets make a petition and everyone on this petition agrees to send a message EVERY DAY to all the players we can find on teitter telling them to should take the dang deal... Then I'm for it. Its very easy to do and the players would get the message fairly quickly. I bet if we do this, we can ger Hockey back in a month.

Cheers,

Old
10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
HockeyCrazed101

I'm not a boycott kind of person and realistically, I don't know how this would hold up, however, starting with a petition is probably the only way for fans to be heard by anyone involved in these negotiations. At this point, signing the petition shouldn't have the expectation that every fan will follow through, but rather 'x' amount of fans are fed up with both sides and put the threat out there. If players and owners receive something like that and still continue to posture and talk about no progress, well they can't really say much else to save themselves in a PR battle.

I think you'd have to have a petition letter that's pretty scathing and threatening to both sides. No 'Bettman I'm a lifelong hockey fan, please no lockout'. I'm talking about putting both sides on blast for being disingenuous, completely self-serving and despite the PR speak, both sides have shown absolute disregard and disrespect to their loyal fans who not only came back the last time, but put more money in their pockets than ever before and we get repaid with yet another lockout because both sides keep talking about 'fair' when fair is really about getting the better end of the deal.

How realistic would it be to get 1 million signatures? Tweet it to all of those social media loving players and agents on Twitter, to the official accounts of the NHL and NHLPA, facebook it, trend it...

Old
10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
It's a nice thought but would never work in some markets. In Winnipeg the MTS is full to capacity with season tickets with 8000 on a waiting list. Some people are spending more on their tickets then their mortgage. My brother-in-law pays $1600 a month on 4 prime seats. That's a lot of cash to eat.

Old
10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Diatidialga

vCash: 50
A better Idea would be to go to the first game of the season, and as soon as the puck drops everyone leaves and stays in the concourse, weather it be for the rest of the game or the period and then keep doing that until the NHL gets the message

Old
10-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

Its a wonderful idea.

Conducted successfully we would never have to go through another lockout in the forseeable future, which is why I wouldnt hesitate to participate.

But youd need Gandhi-like organization.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:01 PM
smitty10

I want to be on board with a boycott, but I'm addicted. It's in my blood to cheer for the Maple Leafs like it is for millions of people in Ontario. Not a chance I could actually do it.

Closed Thread