HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
-Gaining anything (muscle or fat) requires caloric surplus.
-Losing anything (muscle or fat) requires caloric deficit.
These laws follow the laws of thermodynamics. Yes, there are exceptions (new lifters are the biggest one, it's actually quite common to see this in first timers for a short period) which include controlled lab studies.

But anyone with any knowledge of nutrition and fitness knows that it's certainly not something to count on. Gary Roberts of all people.

This article agrees with what I am saying. However the numbers thrown out are extremely questionable and the lack of mentioning the timeframe for these goals is the likely culprit.

I'm not going to comment on the 2nd article because it's nothing but a plug for the author's "8 week program to build muscle and lose fat"
I think that article disputes your stance.

Personally, I know a few kids up at Bowdoin College down the road that have dropped body fat percentage and put on muscle mass on their ( at the time ) current training cycle.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Abattoir

He's not fat, he's just big boned. It's the Internet, where everyone is a nutrition and fitness expert.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Question to Leaf fans: how long will it have to take for Kadri to be an official bust? Being a top 10 pick and heralded by a lot of Leaf fans to be a sure-fire top 6 player, it's looking more and more like he won't live up to promise.
What's wrong with the Detroit bring them along slowly route?

Old
10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Thats not my expectation, its comments like "at this point he's lucky to be a 3rd liner which is pathetic for his draft position" that im arguing with the list. Not to mention you have Wilson, Okposo, and Voracek as young guys getting better yet Kadri is declining because hes dropped fat yet its not as low as his teammates... Any one who has any education in human biology is well aware that your metabolism has as much of an affect on body weight as diet and excercise, thats why some people struggle to loose weight or body fat (metabolism tends to stores calories in fat cells) and some people naturally huge (calories tend to store in muscle).

So cracking a roster early is the new basis of success, Im guessing in Schenn is now better than Karlsson? Just because Kadri hasnt been given a fair shot doesnt mean he was unable to outplay anyone from our top 9. The Leafs had to many contracts so Kadri (and Frattin for that matter), as the only waiver exempted, suffered because of the fact.
[/url]
- Wilson, Okposo, and Voracek have had far better success in the NHL than Kadri and have been improving while being NHL players.

- Cracking an NHL roster as a young player and performing well is a definite sign of that player's progression going well. Josefson and Kruger are clearly better than Kadri at this point, and I don't see how anyone can dispute that.

Old
Aceonfire*

Toronto fans, you may have the biggest market. You also have the most valuable team. You have young talented players and a roster with a ton of depth. And all of that means nothing. Why? Because of your terrible local media. If Kadri was a prospect of Phoenix, Columbus etc... nobody would care. He would develop in his own time, and eventually be a good roster player. But your media picks at every little thing. Weight gain, seriously? If Penner can put up 30 goals carrying that fridge he calls a stomach. I am certain that Kadri will be just fine. For once I agree with Cherry, wtf Eakins.

Old
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i don't ever want to hear leaf fans chirp about Montreal's sensationalist 'french media'. Eakins was dumb to go public with it but this has become a circus and entirely overblown by the toronto media
Toronto media has always been like this. French or English has no bearing. Both cities are full of tabloid hacks.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Nothing. They've got a Stanley Cup contending team every year and can afford to bring along kids slowly because their roster demands a higher standard of play and have quality players.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
I still can't believe Eakins did this. He knows better.

I hope the kid gets past this.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:00 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Nothing. They've got a Stanley Cup contending team every year and can afford to bring along kids slowly because their roster demands a higher standard of play and have quality players.
So your wisdom suggests if you have a poor team you should rush your prospect's development as your solution?

Old
10-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
I still can't believe Eakins did this. He knows better.

I hope the kid gets past this.
Watching the clip, it wasn't overly harsh at all. The word unacceptable
was used, but he said it would be the same for everyone. Kadri didn't
seem hurt by it either.

I hate to say it, but I think Jonas spun this negatively. I think everyone should get past this.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Toronto fans, you may have the biggest market. You also have the most valuable team. You have young talented players and a roster with a ton of depth. And all of that means nothing. Why? Because of your terrible local media. If Kadri was a prospect of Phoenix, Columbus etc... nobody would care. He would develop in his own time, and eventually be a good roster player. But your media picks at every little thing. Weight gain, seriously? If Penner can put up 30 goals carrying that fridge he calls a stomach. I am certain that Kadri will be just fine. For once I agree with Cherry, wtf Eakins.
Just like Turris and Filatov and from the Wild you can add Sheppard and Pouliot.

Maybe Kadri just isn't that good, Montreal had Kadri around the 20th pick.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:30 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Wow, this is delusional. Kadri can't make the NHL because he's not good enough not because Toronto is trying to over ripen him. With how desperate Toronto has been to make the playoffs they'll bring up anyone they think can help them win.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
You need to do more research on the topic or hang out with more pro athletes.

Here, I'll help you out:

http://muscleevo.net/lose-fat-gain-muscle/

http://zenhabits.net/how-to-build-muscle-and-lose-fat/

Blake Wheeler, former Bruin, gained muscle and lost fat after his first year as a Bruin. One of many examples of athletes who are dedicated enough, can do this. Kadri basically admitted he is not, or " still learning ".
Bro, I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this. If my years of experience falling for thinly veiled ads masquerading as fitness advice have thought me anything, its that its insanely easy to GET JACKED FAST. All Kadri needs is a credit card and he'll be RIPPED AND READY for the NHL season.

Here, I'll help you out:
http://getjackedfast.com/

https://shop.menshealth.com/ripped-and-ready.html

Old
10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Bro, I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this. If my years of experience falling for thinly veiled ads masquerading as fitness advice have thought me anything, its that its insanely easy to GET JACKED FAST. All Kadri needs is a credit card and he'll be RIPPED AND READY for the NHL season.

Here, I'll help you out:
http://getjackedfast.com/

https://shop.menshealth.com/ripped-and-ready.html

If it's in Mens Health it must be true!!

Old
10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
No matter how you slice it, he was singled out, meaning all of the other players didn't have any issues coming to camp in better shape than Kadri.

IMO, he can still be a good offensive NHLer, but it's definitely something that leads people to question his work ethic and dedication.
No matter how you slice it, you don't know what you're talking about. Dallas Eakins didn't single Kadri out, he was asked a specific question about Kadri. He then proceeded to spend several minutes discussing what he thought of Kadri's fitness at this point (the fitness testing had not yet been completed), but only the most controversial sound byte was quoted by the press.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:19 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
What exactly is Kadri *****ing/whiniing about? If anything he handled himself quite nicely without backlashing or calling the coach out after being publically humiliated and left out to dry.

MPS is a wash with Kadri atm, a full year (posting a similar PPG ) in the NHL yet was worse production wise when sent down to the AHL. Johansson ill give you, Kruger has actually produced worse while being given a better oppourtunity, Tatar has done absolutely nothing at this point to warrant being ahead of Kadri, Clifford has 7 more points in 106 more games, and Jofeson has produced the same in 18 more games. None of these players are far and above greater...
Why do you assume that his coach called him out just to humiliate him? He obviously had a reason for doing so, I don't think this is the first time there has been an issue with him. also he did not handle the situation well at all, all he did was make up excuses.

I never said they were far and away greater, I said I would rather have them over Kadri

Old
10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
thebluemachine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Wow, this is delusional. Kadri can't make the NHL because he's not good enough not because Toronto is trying to over ripen him. With how desperate Toronto has been to make the playoffs they'll bring up anyone they think can help them win.
Teams that take their time developing prospects are delusional?

Old
10-02-2012, 10:37 PM
thebluemachine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
So your wisdom suggests if you have a poor team you should rush your prospect's development as your solution?
Sounds like he's trying too hard, like many others looking for a way to bash Kadri in this thread.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
The Podium

Quote:
- Wilson, Okposo, and Voracek have had far better success in the NHL than Kadri and have been improving while being NHL players.

- Cracking an NHL roster as a young player and performing well is a definite sign of that player's progression going well. Josefson and Kruger are clearly better than Kadri at this point, and I don't see how anyone can dispute that.
I love how you perceive "cracking an NHL roster" as a couple dozen games more... He is no where close to a bust yet, just like most of the 09 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
Why do you assume that his coach called him out just to humiliate him? He obviously had a reason for doing so, I don't think this is the first time there has been an issue with him. also he did not handle the situation well at all, all he did was make up excuses.

I never said they were far and away greater, I said I would rather have them over Kadri
It was the first incident, usually Eakins is the first one to praise him, he didnt make any excuses, his answer, in rough, was sure he couldve lowered his body fat % but it was lower then it was this time last year, he feels in his best physical shape of his life and wants the added weight for on ice success. I swear people make **** up for the sake of it.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Teams that take their time developing prospects are delusional?

Nope, what's delusional is trying to compare the Leafs to the Red Wings.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
The Podium

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Nope, what's delusional is trying to compare the Leafs to the Red Wings.
Ya because Red Wings have been a NHLer producing factory lately.... There are teams that are much better at drafting and developing i dont get how Detroit still holds this title?

Old
10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
I love how you perceive "cracking an NHL roster" as a couple dozen games more... He is no where close to a bust yet, just like most of the 09 draft

It was the first incident, usually Eakins is the first one to praise him, he didnt make any excuses, his answer, in rough, was sure he couldve lowered his body fat % but it was lower then it was this time last year, he feels in his best physical shape of his life and wants the added weight for on ice success. I swear people make **** up for the sake of it.
Like what you just did? his excuse was that he is still young and doesn't know how to eat/train properly. my point was that he didn't own up like a man, he tried back peddling his way out like a kid.

How do you possibly know that its his first incident are you a coach on the team? or the GM? cause if not then you really don't whats going on there. Does the public know whenever there are issues with a player? I know a couple of NHLers through other friends and I have heard of lots of issues that the public has no idea about.

In my opinion the coach called him out because this hasn't been the first issue, their have been other noted attitude problems with him in his junior days as well I believe.

The leafs are a professional organization that knows what they are doing a lot better then anyone on this board.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Ryp37

didnt see it quickly skimming through the thread but were his stats posted?

Old
10-03-2012, 03:02 AM
LeafOfBread

Apparently, body fat % = bust hockey player with bad attitude. I love this perpetual myth that never stops going around, that Kadri has a terrible attitude and bad personality, despite the fact that he's had an upbeat, positive attitude his entire time in Toronto, regardless of bias from Ron Wilson, the vultures in the media, the yo-yo'ing of his call-ups/reassignments and idiotic fans who would tear the kid apart for choosing regular mayonnaise instead of "Lite" mayonnaise on his sub sandwich. He takes the most criticism and abuse and still is positive as anyone can be, listening to management constantly and trying to do everything he can to be a better player.

His play on the ice will do the talking, because in the end that's all that really matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
In my opinion the coach called him out because this hasn't been the first issue, their have been other noted attitude problems with him in his junior days as well I believe.

The leafs are a professional organization that knows what they are doing a lot better then anyone on this board.
Eakins is very straightforward and tells it like it is, with every player. He said himself he was asked a DIRECT question about Kadri, not a general one, so he answered truthfully. That was his downfall and amateurism, not realizing that the media circus would turn something as trivial as body fat % into an overblown story.

There's been no issues with Kadri at the pro level, he may have been cocky in junior and he still has that pride in him but he's matured quite a bit and has had a good attitude this entire time despite everything that has been thrown at him since he put on that Maple Leaf jersey back in June 2009.

Last edited by danishh: 10-03-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: the team a poster supports is irrelevant when discussing the merit of their opinion.
Old
10-03-2012, 03:59 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Detroit has a history of producing players slowly. One that no other team can claim. Or more to the point, they have a history of wasting their 1st and 2nd round picks on depth players. Meanwhile, some obscure 5th rounder from 2006 is about to turn into a HoF'er starting next year.

When the Leafs can boast a record like that behind them... people will start believing that is what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
What difference does it make whether your team is contending? Developing players at an appropriate rate has nothing to do with the nature of the parent club (at least it shouldn't).

JVR - Became full timer in his 3rd year post draft (and was 2nd overall).
Giroux - Became full timer in 4th year post draft
Richards - Became full timer in 3rd year post draft
Carter - Became full timer in 3rd year post draft
Schenn - Possibly full timer in 3rd year post draft
Couture - Became full timer 4th year post draft
Giroux became an NHL'er early in his 3rd year. So did Schenn for that matter.

Carter and Richards started exactly in their 3rd years because of the lockout year.

Couturier started in his 1st year post draft, not 4th.

The middle of the 2nd/3rd year is most important for these teams because that's when ELC's stop sliding. The 3rd year on is when the team starts giving up ELC seasons and the major difference here is that Philly has been a contender while Toronto has been a bottom feeder. Philly hasn't really given up much of those. They gave up 1/2 of Giroux and a 1/3 of Schenn out of all of these players during their ELC contracts while the Flyers were contenders. The Leafs have already given up 3/4 of Kadri's 3rd year while they were bottom feeders and it's not they cleared a spot for him in his 4th season.

So yeah, unless you can prove that the Leafs are some Detroit-type, idiot savant kind of prospect developers... or your prospect is failing just as is it would on any other team that doesn't easily give up those 3 ELC's seasons.

Closed Thread