HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
I am wondering how many people with different ideas for a boycott have already purchased season tickets and thus willing to eat the cost of their tickets?

Old
10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Minute Major

I think the smarter thing would be to go to the games but not buy any NHL merchandise.

Why punish ourselves? I want to see hockey. It would be a heck of a lot easier for me to not buy what they are selling in the team stores and it would still have quite an impact.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Obama

If it means the NHL thinks twice about having a lockout next time, I'm totally on board. I like the idea of for every game that's lost, I don't watch a game once the season starts.

I'm a huge fan, but if these people are going to piss all over each other on how to split up my money then guess what? I'm not going to give it to them (For a little while, at least).

Old
10-02-2012, 08:40 PM
drew5580

i like where your heads at but this only punishes the owners and vendors, bartenders, parking attendants ect. the players get the same deal anyway.

im not boycotting but my position on the league as a whole is totally changed. its the only league i know that would take a tremendous amount of momentum and big TV contracts and shoot itself in the foot. its so clear now that the sport i love is involved in a league i cant stand.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:44 PM
mobilus

If the top half of the league saw 50% of their season ticket holders cancel their seats, we'd see a CBA signed within a week.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
northeastern

I couldn't do it. not a chance I'd cancel my season tickets.

will i buy a new jersey this year though? hell no. well maybe but it'll be a retro-knock off from china! nothing from the pro shop for this guy.

but I will still buy my beer from my vendor near my seats. god i hope he isn't fired...

but lets be serious. the nhl and nhlpa could care less about us... they care about winning their battle. not only for the money but also because they need to be able to say they won. its hockey player egos versus billionaire egos being lead by smart people who dont even like hockey egos.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The way to really stick it to the owners is to not, I repeat not spend a damn red cent on memorabilia, food, beer, parking (if at all possible), etc, etc, etc ... that's how the owners make their damn money ... get you inside the arena & charge you $ 9 for cheap/crappy beer/crappy food/crappy memorabilia... and not watch the games at home aka "don't buy center ice/game center live" (go to a bar)

Old
10-02-2012, 09:02 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
This thread is like asking a group of junkies to boycott smack for the betterment of the drug trade.

And I would recommend people to read into game theory before they second guess their season tickets. People aren't exactly team players, your actions won't affect the results, and you'll simply be out season tickets.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:12 PM
mobilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
but lets be serious. the nhl and nhlpa could care less about us...
They don't fear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I couldn't do it. not a chance I'd cancel my season tickets.
That's why they don't fear you. You're not the only one thinking this way. If the fan isn't going to change how they do things, they won't either.

If one gazelle steps out of the herd and charges the lions, he'll become their dinner. If 10,000 gazelles charged at once, they wouldn't have a lion problem anymore.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

The chance that it does something? Very slim.

But if you make it, I'll sign it. And if we get 100,000+ signatures, it's not just going to be a joke. Most online petitions get a couple thousand petitions and die out --- if we get a petition going with 100,000+ signatures, that's something that they are going to have to seriously look at. Even if they want to risk it and only 25,000 fans dont come back? That's more fans than Phoenix draws in 41 home games! (joke!!).

Seriously, put it up here, and let's sign it. It can't hurt. And maybe, just maybe this petition will be the one that 1,000,000 people sign and the NHL takes notice.

Because you're right, they are fighting over OUR money.

I already made a huge change. No more legit jerseys for me. Knockoffs 100% of the time from now on.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:17 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

If the first game starts in December at the UC, I will be there. If it takes a year I may not be so quick. I say that now though.

Great concept but how do you get people to dismiss their favorite sport. Even the really pissed off ones will be back if their team makes the playoffs. Cancelling season tickets is not a great idea - especially when can make money off them when play resumes.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:26 PM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Guess who hates football and baseball...me. I have been watching it though because I want a new sport to be passionate about. There is no other hockey for me to watch on tv. Words can not describe the anger in me right now. I just want to type the F-bomb in size 72 font repeatedly. I hate the NHL and I hate the players.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
If the top half of the league saw 50% of their season ticket holders cancel their seats, we'd see a CBA signed within a week.
But if you live in one of those markets where there is a thousand's long name wait list for season tickets, what are the odds that those people are going to cancel their season tickets? None. It's an idle threat and the NHL and NHLPA know it. They're not going to give up their tickets and move to the back of any sort of waiting list.

If 4,000 people in Toronto cancelled their season tickets, you'd have 4,000 happy Leafs fans. If 10,000 people cancelled season tickets, you'd have that many happy Leafs fans. Same goes for Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg, probably the rest of the Canadian franchises. You'd probably have happy people in New York, Detroit, and Boston though not as many.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
JMROWE

Boycotting the NHL. is nothing new to me I have been boycotting the NHL. for 3 years now in which I do not buy or watch anything NHL. & the only hockey I watch is team Canada hockey like Worlds , World Juniors & Olympics . One last note I am avid sports jersey collector in which I have over 40 jerseys & in which only 3 are hockey & none are NHL. (Team Canada white , Team Canada red 2010 , Rimouski blue sidney crosby) .

Old
10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

If the season is lost, I'm done with the NHL forever...well until Bettman gets fired.

Last edited by TMI: 10-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 10:43 PM
sparkychewbarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I think the smarter thing would be to go to the games but not buy any NHL merchandise.
I like this idea.

I wouldn't expect a hockey fan to not watch a game on TV, or not grab some tickets if available...

But, not buying any NHL merchandise for a year?

That's a very do-able thing.

So..."As of midnight, October 2, 2012, I, sparkychewbarky, will not purchase, wear, or display any NHL merchandise, chattel, or devices, for 1 full calendar year."

Last edited by sparkychewbarky: 10-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I want to be on board with a boycott, but I'm addicted. It's in my blood to cheer for the Maple Leafs like it is for millions of people in Ontario. Not a chance I could actually do it.
People here confuse following the NHL with spending $ on it. You don't need to boycott the product, just don't buy ticket/merch for a while. That's easily do-able imo.

I also can't believe how many people renewed seasons tickets. That's hindsight now but ignoring those ticket holders, it's still possible to have an effect on the league.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
sparkychewbarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkychewbarky View Post
So..."As of midnight, October 2, 2012, I, sparkychewbarky, will not purchase, wear, or display any NHL merchandise, chattel, or devices, for 1 full calendar year."

So far, so good.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
socratic

An amazing show of strength would be to unite, and once the NHL does come back, stage 6 minute strikes to start every game.

Buy your tickets, go to the games, enjoy them - but no one enters the arena for the first 6 minutes. It effectively humiliates the league, when everyone watching on tv just sees an empty arena for the first 6 minutes of the game. kind of a "yeah, we love this sport and we'll still watch your games, but ******* you".

If you're stronger than that, and can just not go to games, or do anything else that profits the NHL, all the better.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:33 PM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
An amazing show of strength would be to unite, and once the NHL does come back, stage 6 minute strikes to start every game.

Buy your tickets, go to the games, enjoy them - but no one enters the arena for the first 6 minutes. It effectively humiliates the league, when everyone watching on tv just sees an empty arena for the first 6 minutes of the game. kind of a "yeah, we love this sport and we'll still watch your games, but ******* you".

If you're stronger than that, and can just not go to games, or do anything else that profits the NHL, all the better.
That would be fabulous.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The chance that it does something? Very slim.

But if you make it, I'll sign it. And if we get 100,000+ signatures, it's not just going to be a joke. Most online petitions get a couple thousand petitions and die out --- if we get a petition going with 100,000+ signatures, that's something that they are going to have to seriously look at. Even if they want to risk it and only 25,000 fans dont come back? That's more fans than Phoenix draws in 41 home games! (joke!!).

Seriously, put it up here, and let's sign it. It can't hurt. And maybe, just maybe this petition will be the one that 1,000,000 people sign and the NHL takes notice.

Because you're right, they are fighting over OUR money.

I already made a huge change. No more legit jerseys for me. Knockoffs 100% of the time from now on.
Actions speak louder than words.

Where is this petition at? Show it to me and let's do something, anything besides bend over and let a bunch of billionaires screw us out of another season.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

I always thought it would be funny for random people to put Master Locks and chains on the NHL and NHLPA offices.

Imagine the publicity of having to get chains and locks cut off of front doors. Hell, even seeing that on arena doors would be hilarious.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

1.Tell anyone that will listen to buy pirated jerseys and provide them links.
2. Encourage people to watch free streams online of the games.

I recommended both to my students and anyone else who will listen as a means of fighting back as the fans caught in the middle of millionaires fighting over the game we love.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:13 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I also can't believe how many people renewed seasons tickets. That's hindsight now but ignoring those ticket holders, it's still possible to have an effect on the league.
Again, if you live in a market where the waiting list for season tickets is thousands of names long and someone in your family might have already had season tickets for years or decades, are you going to give those up and move to the back of a waiting list with thousands of names on it? In a market like Florida, where there's not going to be a huge waiting list for tickets, then yeah, it might make an impact. It's not going to make an impact in any of the Canadian cities because people that have been waiting for years to buy tickets would gladly take the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
1.Tell anyone that will listen to buy pirated jerseys and provide them links.
2. Encourage people to watch free streams online of the games.

I recommended both to my students and anyone else who will listen as a means of fighting back as the fans caught in the middle of millionaires fighting over the game we love.
Ahh yes, I love when my fellow educators (I hold a teaching credential and MA in Education) encourage students in illegal activity. It sets a good moral example for the students and reinforces teachers as role models.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:37 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Any chance we could get a stickied 'boycott' thread as a merge for all of the boycott topics that keep popping up?

Closed Thread