HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Preliminary rankings are out, as Central Scouting unveils '13 prospect watch lists; the complete NA list and the complete Euro list; and a friendly reminder that:
Quote:
All "A" skaters have been identified as potential first-round picks, while "B" players are considered second- or third-round candidates. The players on the "C" list are thought to be fourth-, fifth- or sixth-round possibilities.
Quote:
OHL A Skaters
Justin Bailey C Kitchener 6'3.25 194
Jason Dickinson C Guelph 6'1.25 179
Max Domi C London 5'9.25 193
Bo Horvat C London 6'0.25 200
Sean Monahan C Ottawa 6'2 186
Darnell Nurse D Sault Ste. Marie 6'3.5 189
Kerby Rychel LW Windsor 6'1 200
Nikita Zadorov D London 6'5.25 230
Quote:
QMJHL A Skaters
William Carrier C Cape Breton 6'1.5 198
Jonathan Drouin LW Halifax 5'10.75 185
Anthony Duclair LW Quebec 5'11.25 180
Adam Erne LW Quebec 6'1 195
Frederik Gauthier C Rimouski 6'5 210
Nathan Mackinnon C Halifax 6'0 182
Anthony Mantha LW Val-D'Or 6'3.5 180

QMJHL A Goaltenders
Zachary Fucale G Halifax 6'1.25 181
Quote:
WHL A Skaters
Seth Jones D Portland 6'3.5 208
Morgan Klimchuk LW Regina 5'11.5 180
Curtis Lazar C Edmonton 5'11.75 193
Joshua Morrissey D Prince Albert 5'11.75 182
Ryan Pulock D Brandon 6'0.5 211
Hunter Shinkaruk C Medicine Hat 5'10 166
Shea Theodore D Seattle 6'1.75 182
Quote:
USHL A Skaters
J.T. Compher LW USA U-18 6'0 165
Michael Downing D Dubuque 6'2.75 190
Hudson Fasching RW USA U-18 6'3 190
Luke Johnson C Lincoln 5'11 167
Ian McCoshen D Waterloo 6'2.5 207
Quote:
EURO A Skaters
Alexander Barkov C Tappara 6'2 205
Pavel Buchnevich LW Cherepovets 6'1 161
Andre Burakowsky LW Malmo 6'1 178
Jacob de la Rose LW Leksand 6'2.25 189
Robert Hagg D Modo Jr. 6'2.25 193
Juuso Ikonen LW Blues 5'7 161
Artturi Lehkonen LW Kalpa 5'10 163
Elias Lindholm C Brynas 5'11.75 181
Valeri Nichushkin RW Chelyabinsk 6'4 196
Rasmus Ristolainen D TPS 6'3 203
Anton Slepyshev LW Novokuznetsk 6'2 194

Old
09-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

vCash: 500
Is Zadorov really 6'5.25" and 230 lbs?

Also Valeri Nichushkin grew another inch to 6'4", very nice. There are some big boys in this years draft.

Old
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
jfb392

I don't understand CS.
For years they've penalized overage kids, but this year they add a bunch to their watch list.
Their job is to let scouts know who to watch this year, not to remind them to watch the kids they already watched all of last year.

Just looking at the Q list, I'd make Etchegary a C instead of a B, Cooper and Murphy B's instead of C's, and they completely left off Maxime Gravel, who is at least a B in my opinion.
DeLuca might even be worth a C even though he's one dimensional.

The inconsistencies on the Euro list are annoying too.
Some kids have "Jr." added even though they're listed under the junior section in their respective countries, while others don't randomly, and they still seem to think that Russian kids play in the second division instead of the MHL (hence all of the stupid "-2"'s after team names).

Old
09-20-2012, 08:54 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Sean Monahan pretty dominate tonight with 2 G 1A in a 6-4 loss to Barrie. Terrific player.

Last edited by 1972: 09-20-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old
09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Justin Bailey, one of the local products, got some press today in the latest installment of THN Prospect Watch:
Quote:
It’s been a long journey for Justin Bailey, yet the story has just begun. Recently tabbed as an ‘A’ list prospect by NHL Central Scouting (meaning he’s expected to go in the first round of the draft), the Kitchener Rangers rookie center is already a well-travelled young man, the path studded with famous names in the hockey world.

“Growing up in Buffalo, we lived in the same condo as Matthew Barnaby, Michael Peca and Rob Ray,” he said. “Barnaby helped me along the way with a lot of decision-making.”

Read more: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...in-Bailey.html

Old
09-27-2012, 01:52 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
“Barnaby helped me along the way with a lot of decision-making.”

Did he say this with a straight face?

Old
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
"Craigs on it"

This draft is looking really solid...

Seems like every top prospect has picked up right where they left off, it would be a great year to have a few picks in the 1st couple of rounds.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Looking at our organizational depth chart, it seems we have RW solidified for the time being--Poms, Staff, Armia, and a host of bottom-6 RWers--and the center position was upgraded substantially between the trade for Hodgson, the Ennis conversion, and the drafting of Grigs and Girgs.

The LW position, though, looks like it could use some bolstering, assuming Ennis is permanently embedded at center. Beyond Vanek, there isn't much scoring at the position in the organizational pipeline. Foligno will be a very good "third-liner," to the extent that term exists in our organization, but shouldn't be expected to pour in 20+ goals every year. Though he's still signed for another five years, the jury is still out on Leino's future as a top-6er in Buffalo.

So, assuming they target a LW in the draft--and I'd be perfectly happy drafting another center or a top-pairing defenseman next draft, but that's not my assumption right now--who should we be watching? Of those three guys in the Q (Droun, Duclair, Erne), how would the people who've watched them rank 'em? Any other LWs who should be of interest to us?

Old
10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Looking at our organizational depth chart, it seems we have RW solidified for the time being--Poms, Staff, Armia, and a host of bottom-6 RWers--and the center position was upgraded substantially between the trade for Hodgson, the Ennis conversion, and the drafting of Grigs and Girgs.

The LW position, though, looks like it could use some bolstering, assuming Ennis is permanently embedded at center. Beyond Vanek, there isn't much scoring at the position in the organizational pipeline. Foligno will be a very good "third-liner," to the extent that term exists in our organization, but shouldn't be expected to pour in 20+ goals every year. Though he's still signed for another five years, the jury is still out on Leino's future as a top-6er in Buffalo.

So, assuming they target a LW in the draft--and I'd be perfectly happy drafting another center or a top-pairing defenseman next draft, but that's not my assumption right now--who should we be watching? Of those three guys in the Q (Droun, Duclair, Erne), how would the people who've watched them rank 'em? Any other LWs who should be of interest to us?
you could also throw Shinkaruk, Nichushkin, Rychel, Burakovsky, and maybe Domi in the conversation as well for LW, never been a big fan of Domi or Rychel but to each his own, I agree with you that we should be looking at a LW and a high profile defenceman as a priority, but personaly I think that the position of the foward isnt too important when looking at how young these kids are, Pominville will probably be 35 before a 2013 pick becomes an impact player. Some fowards I really like in this draft are Lazar, Kujawinski, Drouin, and Erne. I could see Kujawinski, Drouin, Erne and Lazar pushing for top 10 picks.

I would rank Duclair below Drouin and Erne for future projections.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:22 PM
jfb392

Quote:

Drouin, Duclair, Erne is the order for me and Drouin is clearly the best of the three IMO.
The kid is unreal and we likely have no chance at him since I think he has a chance to be a lottery pick.
Duclair gets knocked for an apparent lack of sense but I think he just needs to mature.
Erne is close to Duclair in my eyes and I think he's the best American in the draft.

I'm not really concerned about drafting certain positions this year.
We've somewhat filled our glaring holes but they all have significant question marks so we can probably just ignore position now.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:07 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Drouin, Duclair, Erne is the order for me and Drouin is clearly the best of the three IMO.
The kid is unreal and we likely have no chance at him since I think he has a chance to be a lottery pick.
Duclair gets knocked for an apparent lack of sense but I think he just needs to mature.
Erne is close to Duclair in my eyes and I think he's the best American in the draft.

I'm not really concerned about drafting certain positions this year.
We've somewhat filled our glaring holes but they all have significant question marks so we can probably just ignore position now.
Agreed at this point we should look to add elite skill at any position preferably still forward.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Any other LWs who should be of interest to us?
There's also Shinkaruk, Burakowsky, de la Rose, Ikonen, Lehkonen, Slepyshev, Harper, and so on. Shinkaruk's a playmaker for Med.Hat-WHL and is the league's current player of the week. The two Swedes will have NHL-size but are currently underwhelming on the Allsvenskan stat-sheet, a la Sebastian Collberg last year; while the two 17-y/o undersized Finns have put up impressive numbers akin to Armia's current stats. Slepyshev is a talented KHL over-ager who went undrafted in June. Harper's still on a poor Erie team, but his numbers will continue to improve, even more so as McDavid adjusts to OHL play and feeds him more open passes.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
There's also Shinkaruk, Burakowsky, de la Rose, Ikonen, Lehkonen, Slepyshev, Harper, and so on. Shinkaruk's a playmaker for Med.Hat-WHL and is the league's current player of the week. The two Swedes will have NHL-size but are currently underwhelming on the Allsvenskan stat-sheet, a la Sebastian Collberg last year; while the two 17-y/o undersized Finns have put up impressive numbers akin to Armia's current stats. Slepyshev is a talented KHL over-ager who went undrafted in June. Harper's still on a poor Erie team, but his numbers will continue to improve, even more so as McDavid adjusts to OHL play and feeds him more open passes.
The only chance we'll be high enough to draft Shinkaruk is if the entire season is lost and we get a good selection in the lottery.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
ottsabrefan

Ryan Kujawinski with OHL Player of the Week honours.

Expect him to shoot up the charts (at least according to CSB who has him low). Not sure what they was thinking when they ranked him in the 2nd round

Old
10-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The only chance we'll be high enough to draft Shinkaruk is if the entire season is lost and we get a good selection in the lottery.
Or Miller gets hurt. Or the "scary" center experiment blows up in our face. Not that I think they will, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this group finishes 11th or 12th in the conference and gets a top-10 pick.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Or Miller gets hurt. Or the "scary" center experiment blows up in our face. Not that I think they will, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this group finishes 11th or 12th in the conference and gets a top-10 pick.
Isn't Shinkaruk a projected top 5 pick though? I agree with everything else, but the team still has too much talent to be a lottery team.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:53 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Isn't Shinkaruk a projected top 5 pick though? I agree with everything else, but the team still has too much talent to be a lottery team.
Yep, he's a projected lottery pick right now and I think he should end up in the top ten.
He seems to have shut up the people who said he was a product of Etem, even though I've always seen it the other way around.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Bobby Mac's initial rankings had him outside the top-10 and in the honorable mention group. Plenty of time for that to change, obviously, but he doesn't appear to be out of reach in the way MacKinnon/Jones likely will be.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:58 PM
McTank

All i have to say is I stacked the pads on domi on a penalty shot two years ago during a school hockey game

Old
10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Bobby Mac's initial rankings had him outside the top-10 and in the honorable mention group. Plenty of time for that to change, obviously, but he doesn't appear to be out of reach in the way MacKinnon/Jones likely will be.
I don't know how much stock you can put into that list this year.
Usually it represents a pretty good consensus, but I don't know what the scouts polled for that were on.
A kid like Jacob de la Rose doesn't belong in the top ten just based on his skill set and their excuse for dropping Barkov was pretty lame (offensive upside is questionable because he's always played above his age group? I think what they meant is that he hasn't been the best in international tournaments lately that are above his age group, but they leave out something key: he had mononucleosis.).

Old
10-03-2012, 12:17 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't know how much stock you can put into that list this year.
Usually it represents a pretty good consensus, but I don't know what the scouts polled for that were on.
A kid like Jacob de la Rose doesn't belong in the top ten just based on his skill set and their excuse for dropping Barkov was pretty lame (offensive upside is questionable because he's always played above his age group? I think what they meant is that he hasn't been the best in international tournaments lately that are above his age group, but they leave out something key: he had mononucleosis.).
This seems to be a really legit reason for dropping in the eyes of scouts. Because, you know, once you get sick and play crappy, that just means that you're crappy right?

Old
10-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
At this point, best player available seems the best path. It's not like they couldn't use more skill up front -- everyone can use more natural scoring talent -- nor is a possible top pair defenseman unwanted even if they have some in the pipeline.

10-03-2012, 02:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
At this point, best player available seems the best path. It's not like they couldn't use more skill up front -- everyone can use more natural scoring talent -- nor is a possible top pair defenseman unwanted even if they have some in the pipeline.
Agree. I think we got our biggest organizational hole filled at this year's draft with Grigs and Girgs. All for BPA next year, whatever position they play. Beyond McNabb and Pysyk, we don't have a lot of exciting D prospects; after Armia and Foligno, there's not much on the wing either; Ullmark is probably the most intriguing goalie in the pipeline. We could use more talent pretty much anywhere.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

So I'm bored out of my mind without NHL hockey so I've been tracking CHL scores and reading on a nightly basis. So I'm getting antsy, what do people have for a top 10/15/20 right now? Here's mine:

1) N MacKinnon
2) S Jones
3) S Monahan
4) A Barkov
5) H Shinkaruk
6) R Pulock
7) J Drouin
8) E Lindholm
9) R Ristolainen
10) A Burakowsky
11) V Nichushkin
12) C Lazar
13) K Rychel
14) P Buchnevich
15) A Duclair
16) A Erne
17) J Morrissey
18) R Kujawinski
19) T Compher
20) M Domi

Old
10-04-2012, 02:04 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
So I'm bored out of my mind without NHL hockey so I've been tracking CHL scores and reading on a nightly basis. So I'm getting antsy, what do people have for a top 10/15/20 right now?
I'll probably wait a few more weeks before changing my list at all, but I'd say I'm still pretty happy with the rankings I did in June.

I'd probably move Lindholm, who I've always liked, into my top ten though because Brynäs is giving him a chance to succeed, which says a lot about how good he is.
If he was stuck on the fourth line or thrown in J20 again, it'd be a different story.
I'd also swap Buchnevich and Nichushkin and probably drop Nichushkin off the list completely.
Lots of better sleeper candidates than him.

Closed Thread