Best Finnish Draft Crop?

Old
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Best Finnish Draft Crop?

Could 2013 be the best crop of draftees Finland has ever produced? Ville Meuronen, our Finnish scout, thinks it could be!

Quote:
The hockey season in Finland is in its infancy, but draft eligibles are creating lots of buzz from both draft fanatics and hockey media alike.

And most aren’t hesitating to call the 2012-13 Finnish season the most interesting draft year in recent memory. The duo of Aleksander Barkov and Artturi Lehkonen are leading that charge.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/finns...-draft-season/

So, shameless self promotion aside, how do you see this year's crop stacking up to ones of years past? Is there a particular year you're especially fond of?

Old
10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

If we are to look solely at the draft itself and not the players' careers in retrospect, I'd say 2002 is hard to top. Five first round picks, two in top five. However, only a small handful of the 25 Finns picked that year ended up making a substantial career in the NHL.

If we are to look at high as possible success ratio, I'd say it was 1993. Only eight Finns picked, but out of those five managed to make at least some ripples in the league.

So, will this be the best draft event ever for Finland? Doubt it. But if we are to look at the amount of possible success stories... I guess time will tell.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Tormentor

Barkov, Ristolainen and Lehkonen are doing phenomenally well for their age, but otherwise this draft class has so far been a bit more about disappointments for me personally. Hopefully some of the lesser prospects improve as the season goes on.

Tormentor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:12 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Barkov, Ristolainen and Lehkonen are doing phenomenally well for their age, but otherwise this draft class has so far been a bit more about disappointments for me personally. Hopefully some of the lesser prospects improve as the season goes on.
Ikonen?

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:27 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Ikonen?
Needs to show double the effort than most, thanks to his size. A 5' 7" small fry never goes among the first.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:59 AM
HockeyNator

Prospect development is much better nowadays than ten years ago, especially in Finland. What makes this year such interesting for me is that these prospects get everything out of their talent level despite being physically underdeveloped. Barkov, Ristolainen, Lehkonen, Ikonen.. these guys couldn't do much more than they are right now. Dunno if this draft class is going to be the best ever for Finland but it's not relevant at the moment. Youngsters in SM-liiga are doing really well and they give us a reason to be very excited as well as lesser known talents in Junior A.

Cheers,
HockeyNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:09 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Needs to show double the effort than most, thanks to his size. A 5' 7" small fry never goes among the first.
Yeah but he have been phenomenal in FEL aswell and played well. He haven't been disappointment. He is 5'8-5'9 if im correct 175cm.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:29 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Yeah but he have been phenomenal in FEL aswell and played well. He haven't been disappointment. He is 5'8-5'9 if im correct 175cm.
I've also seen him listed as 175cm, but I'm not sure how much of that is true. I saw him next to Miro Aaltonen, who is listed as 178cm, and Ikonen looked a lot more than 3cm shorter. It's possible that Aaltonen has grown up to like 181 or so and Ikonen was sloutching, who knows

But yeah, Ikonen has played so well that right now he should be a top-60 pick, despite his height.

YARR123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Keke

After our big 5 (Barkov, Ristolainen, Lehkonen, Ikonen, Husso) the quality of our prospect group drops too much to consider this to be the best group Finland has ever produced.

But if Barkov will become a quality 1st line center, Ristolainen #1-2 defenseman, Lehkonen and Ikonen will be great top6 forwards and Husso will be an elite goalie then I would say this would be an amazing year. Sadly not every prospect will pan out

Keke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:53 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyNator View Post
Prospect development is much better nowadays than ten years ago, especially in Finland.
To be exact, the prospect development has been in a slouch during the last ten years. Ten years ago it was pretty good actually. As stated, 2001, 2002 with the crops from '83 and '84 were good years for us. M.Koivu, T.Ruutu, Filppula, J.Jokinen, Pitkänen, Lehtonen... and more.

But from there, we had a long slouch for the next seven or eight years. 91-borns were the next class that really showed promise since '84. Somebody royally screwed up with the methods of development for those classes born in the late 80s.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
HockeyNator

Quote:
To be exact, the prospect development has been in a slouch during the last ten years. Ten years ago it was pretty good actually. As stated, 2001, 2002 with the crops from '83 and '84 were good years for us. M.Koivu, T.Ruutu, Filppula, J.Jokinen, Pitkänen, Lehtonen... and more.

But from there, we had a long slouch for the next seven or eight years. 91-borns were the next class that really showed promise since '84. Somebody royally screwed up with the methods of development for those classes born in the late 80s.
Yea, that's correct. I expressed myself wrong, in this case I meant how pro organizations handle their prospects.

HockeyNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Ikonen?
J.Ikonen is doing very well for a player his age as well, but the other three have so far played in slightly bigger roles and perhaps also shown a bit more progress in comparison to last season.

Tormentor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM
QnebO

Quote:

Thats why I wasnt drafted!

Reasons 1-700
1 They banned slap shots and hits from junior games untill they were too old
2 They kepth teaching how important its to play "the system", they basicly teached grinding for everyone and teached everyone only avoid risks not do do anything fancy
3 They did not respect individual skill
4 It was "kaikki pelaa" mentality
679D I didint have granlund like talent

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Ihmeilja

Many have listed Juuso Ikonen as a late rounder, but the guy is scoring pretty well in Sm-liiga. By his play, he should be a first round pick, but size might be an issue. I watched a few photos, and Aaltonen, who is 179cm(5'11), looks like a 5-10cm taller than Ikonen and according to Finnish national team Ikonen´s height was 173cm in august 2012.
But I think Ikonen could be a second rounder despite his size.

Jonatan Tanus is another small forward with a lot of potential. Tanus is listed as 175cm by national team.
Has anyone any info on Tanus? I think his decision to go to OHL was a little bit strange.

Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote