HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most shocking trades (trades no one saw coming)

Old
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
itstheo54

vCash: 500
Essentially when it comes down to the end of the season. LA traded Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and picks for Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and a prospect.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Giguere for Blake and Toskala (didnt think they could be moved)
Salary dump for salary dump shouldn't be that surprising. Had it been Hiller, I'd agree.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
A few stand out for me...

1) Yashin for Chara and Spezza (well 2nd overall pick). I was just so surprised how much value Ottawa got seeing as it was so apparent that Yashin was not going to be re-signed.

There were a couple other teams in the mix for Yashin. I remember Chicago was one. I can't recall the other 1-2 rumored teams.

Also, he was coming off a 90+ pt regular season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
RANDOMH3RO

It's gotta be Richards and Carter both getting shipped out in separate deals in the same day. That blew my mind. It intrigued me the most because it was definitely not just a hockey trade.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:21 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Wouldn't Wendy Clark for Sundin top the list as far as Leaf trades go?
That's one of the worsed in the league all time, never mind the leafs.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:58 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

It was rumored but I never took Dan Boyle to San Jose seriously.

You resign your top flight Dman to a huge 6 year deal with a NTC and then ship him away for an ok return?

Also the sharks had never had IMO a legitimate top pairing Dman in their history until then.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Northern Neighbour

Many of you may not be old enough to remember this one that caught everyone by surprise:

At the 1990 All-Star Game, the LA Kings traded Bernie Nicholls to the NY Rangers for Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato.

In the previous year, Nicholls scored 70 goals and added 80 assists for 150 points as the Kings' #2 centre behind Gretzky. He was enjoying another fine campaign, collecting 27 goals and 48 points for 75 points in 47 games. No one expected Nicholls, a fan favourite, to be traded.

But the Kings needed some grit and size upfront plus they needed to find wingers for Gretzky. In Sandstrom, they received a big LW that had scored 20 or more goals in each of his first 5 NHL seasons. Granato had an excellent rookie season (63 points in 76 games) but was mired in a sophomore slump.

All three players went on to contribute to their new teams, although Nicholls was never able to become a 100-point player with the Rangers. He only played 1.5 seasons with the Rangers before being traded to Edmonton.

Sandstrom would play parts of 5 seasons. His best season was 1991-92 when he collected 45 goals and 89 points in 68 games. However, he was often injured when he moved to LA, and his 68 games played in 1991-92 represented his high. He traded to Pittsburgh during the 1993-94 season.

Granato played for the Kings for 6+ seasons. He had a decent career in LA before moving to San Jose for the 1996-97 season. He collected 82 points in 81 games in 1992-93, but the next three years he was mired with an assortment of injuries.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:08 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
It was rumored but I never took Dan Boyle to San Jose seriously.

You resign your top flight Dman to a huge 6 year deal with a NTC and then ship him away for an ok return?

Also the sharks had never had IMO a legitimate top pairing Dman in their history until then.
Think about how different the Sharks would've been if they kept Brian Campbell. He was awesome for you guys but a contract as big as his now would've destroyed the team. Dan Boyle is better anyway.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
OilCanada92

I'd say the Schultz for Gilbert was random. Zero word of the Oilers trading Gilbert anywhere. Hemsky and Gagner were spoke around. York for Peca was a gooder too.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The Flyers trades, specifically Richards.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Darlotto99

Thorton to SJ Sharks

Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Flyerfan52

An oldie. Jan. 2, 1992.
Gilmour, Macoun, Natress, Manderville & Wamsley to TO for Leeman, Godynyuk, Reese, Petit & Berube.
10 players moved in a single trade was not something expected.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:23 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Most shocking ever was basically Park and Ratelle for Espo and Vadnais.
Curse you, Cat Francis!!!!
That was the last day I was a ranger fan, the way they treated Eddie Giacumon(sp) and then to trade for the devil himself and to give up Park and Ratelle still think that was a horrible trade

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Falco5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Think about how different the Sharks would've been if they kept Brian Campbell. He was awesome for you guys but a contract as big as his now would've destroyed the team. Dan Boyle is better anyway.
Campbell doesn't make that much more than Boyle does, so I don't think that contract would have "destroyed" the team. I think Boyle is the better player but I don't know how much different the team would be right now.

Falco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 04:44 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Ten years? I'll give you the second most shocking trade (after Gretzky) and it was over 30 years ago. Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais going to the hated Rangers for Jean Ratelle and Brad Park. It would be similar to the Pens trading either Crosby or Malkin and Kris Letang to the Flyers for Claude Giroux and a young Chris Pronger.
Nice to see someone else remembered that also... I called it first.
Not sure it isn't more shocking than Gretzky, cause Kings owner needed $$$$.
What Cat Francis did was just to shake up the team, just because he could.

-------------

Similar vein, not sure it was a trade or a waiver deal --- that alone basis for it to be even more shocking ---- is Giacomin to Detroit!

Next game at the Garden, we were all Wings fans for the night! Eddie! Eddie!!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
helicon1

As a fan who started following the Hawks in large part because of Chelios, the Detroit trade was a gut punch (For Anders Eriksson and two 1st rounders). Especially being traded for a guy who was his polar opposite in Eriksson. That was the official end of the those tough Hawk teams that made me a fan of hockey in the first place. Although I guess they had been mediocre for a few years by that point.

The Havlat trade too, It was a year or so before I discovered HF too so it came out of nowhere for me. Those first half dozen games before he get injured were the highlight of the 00's up until that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Rusty Olesz for Brian Campbell, I had to do a triple take when I read it. " We traded what for whoo???"
Ha, yeah I had the same reaction. Thought they were stuck with that contract for the duration. Not sure it qualifies though as there were some rumours. I remember thinking it pretty unlikely though, especially with his limited NTC.

helicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
The Phaneuf trade came as a complete shock to me. I was still trying to digest the Toskala trade that happened like an hour before, and then finding out another deal was in the works and finding out we got Dion I was ecstatic.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:34 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Hawks trading Chris Chelios to Detroit of all teams. And the return was utter crap as the Hawks would obtain Anders Eriksson and two 1st round picks that they used to select Steve McCarthy and Adam Munro.
Eriksson was a top four defenseman on almost every team he played for, including both Detroit and Chicago. Chicago's bad drafting doesn't make a 24 year-old top-four defenseman AND two firsts a crap return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
There was a lot of buzz on that trade happening in Buffalo before it actually did. Its just more shocking because of how little Buffalo got in return. But of course, thats because Hasek played the retirement card and then told Regier he wouldnt report to detroit if the original trade of Hasek for Sergei Fedorov went through, thus forcing Regier to take less or risk getting nothing
First I've heard of this "Fedorov for Hasek" deal. Source please?

Also... Detroit likely doesn't make the deal if it has to be Fedorov because Fedorov+Osgood >>> Kozlov+Hasek.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:43 PM
pdd

Shocking trade that went through:

F Keith Primeau, D Paul Coffey, and 1997 DET 1st for F Brendan Shanahan and D Brian Glynn

Shocking trade that didn't go through:

F Steve Yzerman and G Chris Osgood for F Alexei Yashin, G Damian Rhodes, 1996 and 1997 OTT 1sts (Phillips and Hossa)

This trade was agreed upon by Devellano and Gauthier and sent to league offices, only to have Jimmy D cancel the trade before it became official.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:06 AM
ProstheticConscience
Yes or no, Lester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
An oldie. Jan. 2, 1992.
Gilmour, Macoun, Natress, Manderville & Wamsley to TO for Leeman, Godynyuk, Reese, Petit & Berube.
Oooooo...I remember that one. Bombshell. Was like shooting the Flames in the kneecaps. Set them wayyyy back. ( ) Came out that Leeman had run off with Al Iafrate's wife, and he had to get gone from the Leafs' locker room ASAP.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:31 AM
JRB86

Chelios to Detroit shocked me.

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 05:39 AM
harro92

Dan Boyle & Brad Lukowich for Matt Carle, Ty Wishart, a first round draft pick in 2009 and a fourth round draft pick in 2010

Dan Boyle had signed a 6 year 40 million contact on February 25 and was traded June 8th that same year

harro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
An oldie. Jan. 2, 1992.
Wtf was Calgary smoking? Gilmour and Macoun were the two best players in that deal, and they were both going the same way to Toronto. Cliff Fletcher was a great GM.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:39 AM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax Jones View Post
Drury/Yelle for Morris/McAmmond/Shantz is the closest I've ever come to crying after a trade. The only one sadder than me may have been Drury himself.

Fleury-to-Colorado was pretty shocking too. It wasn't a secret that Theo was on the block, but I never saw the Avs as the destination.
Yes to both, I remember my audible gasp when they said well Fleury finally has been dealt and then showed the Avs logo on the screen next to his picture, completely shocked. That was a fun playoff year.

The Drury one I heard on the radio at work when they announced on the Fan, guy says it like " Avs get Derek Morris (neat!) for Stephane Yelle (um ok) and...Chris Drury...wow what? we'll be back after this break" , me and my co worker were just floored.
That was a not so fun playoff year.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote