HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

vCash: 500
I hate stink bugs.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:57 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I love my slow cooker. It doesn't fit 10 lbs of anything in it though.
Then I suggest you get a bigger slow cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
you gotta admit though, for a lot of young people, there is a certain "sexiness" cities like nyc, boston, sf, la. at least for me, i'm from pittsburgh and went to college in western pa, but post-college i wanted to spend some time in a bigger city. maybe return there at a later date, but i want to try something new for awhile when im young and unencumbered.

yeah pittsburgh has a nice cost of living. philly is also very good in that regard... i paid like $800 a month to live near rittenhouse (the ritzy yuppie fun area in down town phila).

also really nice to hear this crock pot talk. i just pot a 6oz'er a week or so ago, and i currently have 5 lbs of chicken thighs cooking with some sweet potatoes. nothing better than coming home from a long day of work then gym to a hot meal. living the dream, truly.
There is a huge appeal of those cities. I'm definitely guilty of sort of getting into that thought process. I have applied to jobs in Boston, Philly, and Seattle. I haven't got any of them...obviously. That being said, I wouldn't mind living in any of them if the opportunity presented itself.

I guess the long and short of what I'm saying is, having more money in my pocket at the end of every month makes me just as happy as having a lot of stuff to do right in front of my face. I think unlike most cities, you have to search for things to do in Pittsburgh. I've lived here my whole life, so if I want something to do, I kind of know where to look.

I can completely see why an outsider would look at PGH though and say no thank you. I can also respect someone who would want to get out and experience something else. Pittsburgh is like a box sort of. If you never leave, you end up like those 50 year old yinzers that everyone is talking about.

Old
10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
where is the meat?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
invictus

Quote:
where is the meat?
I said best meal for $1, man. Get off my case We can't all be future-rich doctors

Old
10-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Had surgery done to clear an airway in my nose last week. I might go insane if I have to wait an extra hour to get these splints out of it. Tomorrow can't come soon enough...

Old
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I went to Wendy's today and ordered a Junior Classic with bacon. But somehow I didn't get any bacon on (but was charged) and got less condiments on it than what it does comes with. What a low kick in the balls it was for me.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
End of Line
Human After All

30 for 30 was fantastic tonight.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Then I suggest you get a bigger slow cooker.

There is a huge appeal of those cities. I'm definitely guilty of sort of getting into that thought process. I have applied to jobs in Boston, Philly, and Seattle. I haven't got any of them...obviously. That being said, I wouldn't mind living in any of them if the opportunity presented itself.

I guess the long and short of what I'm saying is, having more money in my pocket at the end of every month makes me just as happy as having a lot of stuff to do right in front of my face. I think unlike most cities, you have to search for things to do in Pittsburgh. I've lived here my whole life, so if I want something to do, I kind of know where to look.

I can completely see why an outsider would look at PGH though and say no thank you. I can also respect someone who would want to get out and experience something else. Pittsburgh is like a box sort of. If you never leave, you end up like those 50 year old yinzers that everyone is talking about.
yeah like my biggest fear is being a lifelong yinzer. spending my first 2 decades in western PA was nice, but i really think there is so much cool stuff in the world to see and do, i wanted to expand my horizons.

philly is nice bc its a cool city that is kinda more happening but still close to my family in pittsburgh. a happy balance. really not sure where to go after school. cali is super cool but so far away, same with boston. legit tough decision that i wrestle with, especially with parents getting older.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I said best meal for $1, man. Get off my case We can't all be future-rich doctors
ha i actually live super cheap. i live in downtown phila, but i do all my grocery shopping at aldi in west philly. i eat a ton of food but its super cheap there (like $2.79 for lb of ground beef). my only expenses are whey/groceries/alcohol.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

So apparently NiGHTS Into Dreams was re-released on XBox Live and PSN yesterday...my favorite non-RPG of all-time and a game I haven't been able to play since my Saturn bit the dust somewhere around 2004.

So many memories. I didn't have a Saturn when it came out, but the Sears at South Hills Village had it as did the Iggle Video at Village Square...I had to log over 100 hours on this and Ocarina of Time (they also both had an N64 with that game...but if the Saturn was open I was always playing it).

Man...I miss when everything Sonic Team touched turned to pure gold. I don't think they've released a truly great game since the Dreamcast died. Hell, almost every game Sega released was gold before the Dreamcast died...but once they quit the hardware business to focus on games they fell off a cliff. I miss the days where a game designed to show off a system's power was basically meant only for hardcore gamers...this game was hard...but it was stunningly beautiful in 1996 and it used the CD to it's fullest extent in having one of the best game soundtracks ever made (which wasn't too typical of Sonic Team outside of the original Sonic games...though it did set the table with some truly awful songs that actually involved singing).

Now they need to port the Panzer Dragoon series...hell, just get the Saturn and Dreamcast line-up out there and I'll probably buy it all again.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-02-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
So apparently NiGHTS Into Dreams was re-released on XBox Live and PSN yesterday...my favorite non-RPG of all-time and a game I haven't been able to play since my Saturn bit the dust somewhere around 2004.

So many memories. I didn't have a Saturn when it came out, but the Sears at South Hills Village had it as did the Iggle Video at Village Square...I had to log over 100 hours on this and Ocarina of Time (they also both had an N64 with that game...but if the Saturn was open I was always playing it).

Man...I miss when everything Sonic Team touched turned to pure gold. I don't think they've released a truly great game since the Dreamcast died. Hell, almost every game Sega released was gold before the Dreamcast died...but once they quit the hardware business to focus on games they fell off a cliff. I miss the days where a game designed to show off a system's power was basically meant only for hardcore gamers...this game was hard...but it was stunningly beautiful in 1996 and it used the CD to it's fullest extent in having one of the best game soundtracks ever made (which wasn't too typical of Sonic Team outside of the original Sonic games...though it did set the table with some truly awful songs that actually involved singing).

Now they need to port the Panzer Dragoon series...hell, just get the Saturn and Dreamcast line-up out there and I'll probably buy it all again.
So many memories of this game. R.I.P. Sega (hardware that is).

Old
10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Gaming died along with the Dreamcast as far as I'm concerned.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:12 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
You've gotta lump EA in there somewhere too.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
The problem with mainstream gaming anymore is just the lack of creative games. These multi-million dollar games today just seem like boring, repetitive set-pieces. Now some of these can be fun (The Uncharted series for example), but it just gets so old over time. Honestly, the only big-budget games I've greatly enjoyed this generation are the Mass Effect series and Grand Theft Auto IV. The rest have been games that flew slightly under the radar (Catherine, Heavy Rain, Lost Odyssey, etc...).

Old
10-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Catherine is the type of game that I long for...it's probably my favorite game from the current generation of consoles.

Big-budget games have their upside...Red Dead Redemption is absolutely one of my favorite games and it's the type of game that certainly wouldn't have been possible 10 years ago, but I generally loathe the huge scope of today's games. I'm a pick-up-and-play single-player fan (which is why 90% of what I play nowadays are sports games...but EA is actively trying to alienate the single-player gamers at this point)...and while the Dreamcast helped usher in the era of online games it used the online capabilities in the way I want them to be utilized...as an addition to games and not a basis for a game. I'm a single-player only gamer...and it's getting harder and harder to find good games geared for people like me these days.

My favorite genre also remains JRPGs...and they're all but dead at this point.

Amazingly NiGHTS isn't even my favorite Saturn game...while the version I played was on the PlayStation my #2 favorite game originated on the Japanese Saturn and didn't get a North American release until after the Saturn was dead (Grandia).

Now if only I could get Grandia II again I'd be a happy camper.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-03-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old
10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Catherine is the type of game that I long for...it's probably my favorite game from the current generation of consoles.
Yeah, Catherine was one helluva gaming experience. Definitely one of my favorites.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

if you like gaming but can't find games you like at this point in time, you aren't looking very hard. Otherwise you just outgrew gaming and blame it on the games.

unless you are an RPG fan. Then you have my permission to complain. Or to go help kickstart Project Eternity.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:29 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I hate stink bugs.
I hadn't seen one in months.

Yesterday, walk to my car. 10 on the car, another 2 in the door jambs.

Let my car out on the street, went to move it around 8...ANOTHER 6 in the door jambs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
30 for 30 was fantastic tonight.
I saw most of it, and DVRd it when it re-aired at 1am or something.

That one was pretty good. My favorite so far is still the Fab 5 one.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:02 AM
JTG

Quote:
yeah like my biggest fear is being a lifelong yinzer. spending my first 2 decades in western PA was nice, but i really think there is so much cool stuff in the world to see and do, i wanted to expand my horizons.

philly is nice bc its a cool city that is kinda more happening but still close to my family in pittsburgh. a happy balance. really not sure where to go after school. cali is super cool but so far away, same with boston. legit tough decision that i wrestle with, especially with parents getting older.
If I had my choice, I'd move somewhere like Charleston, SC, or somewhere on the coast of VA. You've had your north eastern experience.

And who is to say if you get a job down south, with your parents being older and I'd assume close to retirement age, they don't move where you are to get away from the cold?

Old
10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Shady Machine

If I had a choice, which I guess I do haha, I'd move to pacific northwest, either Portland or Seattle.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:43 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
If I had a choice, which I guess I do haha, I'd move to pacific northwest, either Portland or Seattle.
Seattle has always been a place I could see myself in.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Seattle has always been a place I could see myself in.
Yeah that's next on my major US cities to visit. I went to Portland 2 years ago and fell in love. I'm a middle sized city kind of guy so it fit perfectly in that range, but yet had all the benefits of a major city (outside of Pro sports). Unfortunately the unemployment rate was much higher than the national average so that sort of stopped my search.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
what the hell mall do you go to that has taco's that you can't seem to resist? I don't know if I'd trust food court tacos but you are making me want to try them
Actually the mall food court back in Timmins has a pretty kickass Taco Time in it. Sadly since I've come to Kitchener, the food court in the mall across from my apartment only has a crappy Taco Bell in it.

Talk about a major downgrade.

Although Kitchener does have a few authentic Mexican restaurants IIRC, I just dunno where they are yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i think he's buying taco ingredients so he can make tacos himself, rather than already made tacos at a food court. but that begs the question: what kind of mall has a grocery store?
Correct. The fiancee and I munched out on homemade tacos last night. As for where I got my salsa, the mall across the street has a Walmart in it with a few little grocery aisles so I just grabbed a jar of salsa there.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Shady Machine

Maybe your definition of mall is different than ours haha? What mall has a Wal-Mart in it? Oh the madness!

Old
10-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Actually the mall food court back in Timmins has a pretty kickass Taco Time in it. Sadly since I've come to Kitchener, the food court in the mall across from my apartment only has a crappy Taco Bell in it.

Talk about a major downgrade.

Although Kitchener does have a few authentic Mexican restaurants IIRC, I just dunno where they are yet.

Correct. The fiancee and I munched out on homemade tacos last night. As for where I got my salsa, the mall across the street has a Walmart in it with a few little grocery aisles so I just grabbed a jar of salsa there.
I always forget how many people here aren't actually anywhere near Pittsburgh. I was hoping for a tip on a good taco place

ps: I love taco bell.

Closed Thread