LA Angels of Anaheim Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
sorry, brain fart. I meant they won 8 out of 23 in April.
Oh, it's cool. lol

Anyways, there's a rain delay in Texas today.... A's win today after coming back from down 2 in the 9th.

Old
09-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Finnpin

Damn A's just keep taking those wins...

5 games left for Halos and 4 for A's...there is still a chance

Old
09-30-2012, 04:02 PM
DarthYenik

Man, that was a nail-biting win.

The Angels are keeping pace with the A's. They just need to keep up the good work, and pray that the A's screw up.

Old
09-30-2012, 06:30 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Oakland wins.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

This isn't going well. This isn't going well at all.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:59 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Nope. It's all over if they can't get back in it.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:11 PM
DarthYenik

3 games back with three games to go. Now we're in the only a miracle would do it phase.

God damn Mike Napoli.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Hockey Duckie

This is a highly impossible feat to overcome by our team this year. For the A's, they can overcome obstacles which is why they were able to sweep the Mariners when we could not.

On another negative front, it seems like Mike Trout may not win the MVP as Miguel Cabrera's offensive numbers for the Triple Crown overshadows the complete game that Trout brings which is offense at the plate, defense in the outfield, steals on the base, as well as stretch singles into doubles and doubles into triples, and runs scored. Pfft. Who cares about the all around game, right? Because that's what MVP is all about. If you're hitting well and that's it, then I'm sure there's an award for that called a Silver Slugger award or something like that.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
DarthYenik

I agree, the MVP award is way more offensively focused. But that's the was baseball is, catching practically every ball that comes into center field, and robbing more homers than anyone has any business doing isn't as impressive as a bunch more homers and RBIs.

I don't mind, and Mike Trout shouldn't either. He's still a lock for ROY and a Gold Glove. And he's only going to get better. Even if he doesn't get better, he's still an amazing player.

What do you think about Torii? He's definitely redeemed himself this past month, and even before then he's been pretty consistent at the plate. He's got to be re-signed. Of course, the top priority in the off-season is to get a competent bullpen. I'd also like to see Greinke back, but that's probably not going to happen. He'll probably be in Boston.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Hunter's been good. I can't count the number of times I've recently checked the box score of a game in progress and seen him with a timely hit.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
I agree, the MVP award is way more offensively focused. But that's the was baseball is, catching practically every ball that comes into center field, and robbing more homers than anyone has any business doing isn't as impressive as a bunch more homers and RBIs.

I don't mind, and Mike Trout shouldn't either. He's still a lock for ROY and a Gold Glove. And he's only going to get better. Even if he doesn't get better, he's still an amazing player.
Isn't that quite funny to know that Trout will probably win a Gold Glove, have the second best batting average to Cabrera, leads the league in stolen bases and Runs as he's the lead off man. No way Trout will ever lead in RBI's if his job is to be a lead off man and get on base. That's about 175-180 games (less for Trout) were no one will ever be on base for Trout to collect RBI's in a full season. But not only that, Trout started about a month later than every one else and leads the league in steals and Runs scored! Not only that, with 30 HR's Trout ranks in the top 15 of that category in the AL. Heck, he's tied with Pujols and two behind Trumbo. It's a sad day where the best player in the American league doesn't win MVP.

Also, look at the WAR (Win Above Replacement). Trout: 10.5; Cabrera 6.5. You take Trout of the lineup and the Angels would suck even more than if you removed Cabrera. Ha!

Quote:
What do you think about Torii? He's definitely redeemed himself this past month, and even before then he's been pretty consistent at the plate. He's got to be re-signed. Of course, the top priority in the off-season is to get a competent bullpen. I'd also like to see Greinke back, but that's probably not going to happen. He'll probably be in Boston.
I don't know if Torii redeemed himself, but rather played up to his humongous contract. He's clutch. He's more clutch than Pujols. Definitely more than Wells. Outside from Trout, the Angels don't have a very capable bat in the outfield. Borjous is all defense. Wells is... Wells. Trumbo still isn't consistent. Calhoun is still a rookie. I believe the Angels need to re-sign him, but act like they don't need him so Torii won't ask for a large contract.

PlayerGames PlayedSavesBlown Saves% of blown savesRuns
Isringhausen500510%22
Downs47935%17
Frieri552335%15
Jepsen48224%17
Cassevah40250%4
Richards29126.8%45
Walden43112%15
Takahashi42012%24
Total 3619 159
There is a disclaimer. Richards did play as a starter so the Runs are skewed. But we are still giving up a lot of runs. Sad, though, when reflecting upon this, with that many runs given up by our bullpen, I would have expected more losses! So that means our offense is awesome to have given up so many runs and not have even more losses.

Our #1 focus should be our bullpen. Maybe we need a specialized pitching coach for our bullpen. Our starting pitchers are fine as I've seen stats that our team ERA has been dropping with Butcher in charge. We definitely need help. Isringhausen blew 5 saves. Oh how big those five blown saves are right now! We better be FA shopping!

Our #1b focus is our starting pitching. There aren't a lot out there this coming FA off-season for starting pitching. We have team options on both Santana and Haren. And then there's Greinke. I say we say yes for one more year of both Santana and Haren. Then we persuade Greinke to stay long term. We're hoping the next following season's FA starting pitching crop is better so we can let go of both Santana and Haren. Hence, in two years we have the trio of Weaver, Wilson and Greinke. Hopefully, Richards has matured to be the #4 starter.

We are lacking in any kind of pitching in our farm system as we gave loads away for the past few years. The Angels have no choice but to really go after Greinke as well as keep Santana and Haren for another year.

The bigger question is how bad do we need help in our pitching staff such that we may have to trade away Trumbo, Borjous, or Morales? I would love to trade away Wells, but who are we kidding as to who would take that albatross of a contract? (Besides, us that is.) Considering we're re-signing Hunter (yay I don't have to buy another jersey just yet if he does re-sign), we have a log jam still in the outfield: CF Trout, Borjous; LF Trumbo, Wells; RF Hunter. There's a log jam at first base too: Pujols, Trumbo, and Morales. Also, we have that big bat down in high A, CJ Cron who just loves to mash! He's leads the Angels' prospects in HR (27) and RBI (123). The problem with trading away Morales is among all the outfielders and first baseman, Morales is the only one that hits left as he's a switch hitter.

Heck, we may need to trade one of them to acquire a better hitting catcher! It seems all is lost for prospect Hank Conger as Hester bypassed him in the depth chart this year: Ianetta, Wilson, Hester, Conger. Unless DiPoto wants to start Conger next year without proving he's MLB ready because Ianetta's contract ends this season, we're probably going to see a change at catcher.

Yikes. sorry for the long response. It seems I've jumped the gun on the off-season preview of the Angels. In short, for the past two seasons the Angels have had the same problem: owners of having the most blown saves in the AL. Except this year, we were closer to securing a playoff spot. Frieri was a huge acquisition, but apparently not enough as Sosh kept going back to Isringhausen and his five blown saves.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Hockey Duckie

There is one sleeper pitcher in the Angels farm system that could make a debut about mid-season next year: this year's 3rd round pick RJ Alvarez. A RHP who could be a nice set-up guy that can consistently throw 95 MPH, as he was a reliever in college. In AA, he's had 29 appearances with 38 strikes to 11 walks. Almost a 4:1 ratio of Ks to BBs!

Old
10-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Checking the Tex-Oak box score:

Old
10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Oakland wins.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Hockey Duckie

And just like our Duck season, started off bad and came up short at the end. ::: Sighs :::

Old
10-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Hockey Duckie

Huh... another point to Mike Trout being MVP: Trout missed three weeks at the beginning of the year because he was down in AAA. How many more wins would Trout have brought to the Angels if he played during those three weeks? Enough to push the Angels into a playoff spot? A difference of four wins and the Angels are playoff contenders.

According to ESPN's WAR (Wins above replacement), Trout brings in 10.5 more wins. That huge considering the Angels went 6-14 to start the season.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Huh... another point to Mike Trout being MVP: Trout missed three weeks at the beginning of the year because he was down in AAA. How many more wins would Trout have brought to the Angels if he played during those three weeks? Enough to push the Angels into a playoff spot? A difference of four wins and the Angels are playoff contenders.

According to ESPN's WAR (Wins above replacement), Trout brings in 10.5 more wins. That huge considering the Angels went 6-14 to start the season.
He also gets a coupe more homers and a few more stolen bases, putting him over 50SB's so far. 30/50 is impressive. Hopefully he gets two more in two games.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
DarthYenik

Yeah, I was just thinking about how many more wins Trout would have gotten in April.

I've said this before, in the middle of the season when the Angels were 4 or 5 games back, just a .500 April (lets round up to 13 out of 23) could have won them the division. They'd be a game up on Texas right now.

I hate thinking about this. Damn, I wish the NHL season were about to start.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Hockey Duckie

Oh I know. Not having pre-season going on right now to distract me from baseball magnifies the epic fail the Angels did this season. The Angels signed the top two FA's this past off-season when the dire need was bullpen help as we had 25 blown saves last year. So this past off-season we got LaTroy Hawkins. That's it. Then at pre-season they picked up Isringhausen. Only when Frieri was traded for did he stabilize our bullpen up till All-Star break. After All-Star break, we got into another funk. Bad mojo.

But yeah, having Trout much earlier would have gained some wins. Sucks that the org wanted to keep Abreu around which forced to keep Trout in AAA. That's all coach Sosh's fault.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:22 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Team had no bullpen, 22 blown saves won't get it done, lack of power arms is a big issue, also poorly constructed offensively, I don't blame Dipoto he inherited a mess, the Pujols move seemed more of an ownership play anyways. Angels have to get a 3b, move Trumbo to DH/1B full time, and make Bourjos the full time CF'er. The problems are fixable, no more slap hitters at 3b though, please.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Team had no bullpen, 22 blown saves won't get it done, lack of power arms is a big issue, also poorly constructed offensively, I don't blame Dipoto he inherited a mess, the Pujols move seemed more of an ownership play anyways. Angels have to get a 3b, move Trumbo to DH/1B full time, and make Bourjos the full time CF'er. The problems are fixable, no more slap hitters at 3b though, please.
Those slap hitting third basemen save a lot more runs defensively than say a Trumbo at third. But it's not the offense that needs help. I don't want to focus on any offense this summer when we're still blowing over 20 saves each season for the past two seasons. You cut down half of 22 blown saves and the Angels win the division hands down. We're one of the hottest teams in the league right now. If we were in the AL Central, then we would have won that division title and in the playoffs. Yeah, we're that good.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
He also gets a coupe more homers and a few more stolen bases, putting him over 50SB's so far. 30/50 is impressive. Hopefully he gets two more in two games.
Here's the sad part why some people will chose Cabrera over Trout: Cabrera's team is in the playoffs. Here's the counter that will never be brought up: Trout's Angels have a better record than the Cabrera's Tigers. How does that happen? The Tigers play in a weaker division.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
DarthYenik

Another thing. Trout has a higher OBP, despite having a lower BA.

Didn't anyone learn anything from Moneyball?

Old
10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Hockey Duckie

Trout has a better OBP because he's the leadoff hitter. A lead off hitter's mentality is to get on base. He's not a number 3 or number 4 (clean up) hitter like Cabrera is. It would seem improbable for Trout to win the RBI race since he's job is to get on base so he can be batted in by the #3 or clean up hitter, which is what Cabrera is. Also, a lead off hitter that's only 20 years old and missed three weeks of MLB play, but was still able to hit 30 MLB homers. Bryce Harper, the highly touted youngster who's 19 years old, has only 22 HRs with a BA of .270.

As for fielding, Mike played more games at CF with a fielding percentage of .992 with one double play on his name from CENTERFIELD position! Cabrera played more games at 3B with a fielding percentage of .966 and factored in 31 double plays.

So I hope when those who vote know the difference between MVP, Golden Glove, and Silver Slugger. MVP should be a combination of Golden Glove, Silver Slugger, team MVP, and, in essence, WAR.

Here's what is says about the Silver Slugger award: "A silver bat? Few players will ever become members of the Triple Crown Club, but they might hit better than any other player in their respective league at their respective position. At the completion of the 1980 season Hillerich & Bradsby, the maker of Louisville Slugger bats, devised an award to honor the best offensive player at each position. Major League managers and coaches use the three fields of the Triple Crown - batting average, home runs and runs batted in - and a combination of total bases when voting for each years recipients" - http://www.baseball-almanac.com/awards/aw_ssa.shtml

From the same website, here's what it states about MVP:"This one was first awarded in 1931 and its full title is the Baseball Writers Most Valuable Player Award, or the M.V.P. by the rest of us, and it is presented annually by the Baseball Writers Association of America. It is considered by Major League Baseball as the only "official" most valuable player award and symbolizes the pinnacle of a player's personal achievement during any single season of play. Note: A bold faced entry denotes that the player / pitcher won the award unanimously (receiving all the possible first place votes)."

If Cabrera does achieve the Triple Crown, then does that achievement surpasses what a 20 year old rookie did of coming in second in BA, leads the AL in Runs and Steals, 30 HRs, one more walk than Cabrera with 67, tied 3rd overall in triples with eight (Cabrera has none), and has better fielding percentage than Cabrera with three weeks less games (20 games).

The choice should be easy if following the criteria, but we're dealing with people here. The Triple Crown is dedicated for the Silver Slugger award. It could help with the MVP, but doesn't guarantee it.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

RBI is a stupid stat, bat Trout 3 or 4 over a full season and he is challenging Cabrera's RBI total
Trout is an elite defender
Cabrera is one of the worst

Trout is an elite baserunner, steals extra bases
Cabrera is terrible at both

Cabrera only hits for more power, that is the ONLY thing he does better

Closed Thread