HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jan Mursak

Old
10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I'm a fan of:

Bert/Dats/Brunner
Nyquist/Z/Sammy
Franzen/Flip/Cleary

Alternatively:

Flip/Dats/Brunner
Nyquist/Z/Sammy
Bert/Franzen/Cleary
With how thin our top 6 is I can't really see Babcock bumping Fil or Franzen down to the 3rd line. I do start to like our lines a bit more putting Franzen as the 3rd line center though, and I would like to see him played there. I agree with the idea that with Helm as the 3rd line center you omit a scoring line.

just an idea:

Fil or Nyquist/Dats/Bert
Nyquist or Fil/Z/Sammy
Cleary/Franzen/Brunner
Abby/Helm/Tootoo

Not a big fan of Bert, but Datsyuk seems to like playing with him, and that puts a big body on that line. I would like to see Franzen as the 3rd line center with Cleary and either Sammy or Brunner. That line would be throwing shots up the whole time they are on the ice and could probably generate some offense just from the volume of shots they take.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Rzombo4 prez

I like Jan a lot. I thought he had a very good pre-season last year and looked like a contributor before the injury. After he came back, he looked like what he was; a speedster recovering from a lower body injury.

I hope that the team sticks with him for one more season. I want to really know what we have before we give up on him. I am very critical of the overall speed of our bottom six forwards. Our forechecking has be awful the last two seasons in part because, apart from Helm and perhaps Abby, we generally lack the foot speed to effectively pressure the opposing defensemen. We are ALWAYS two strides too late. Eaves, Miller and Emmerton are not objectively quick players.

Like I said, I like Jan and would like to see another year of him. I am guessing, however that in the end, there will not be enough room for him at the inn.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Miller is a decent skater. Faster than Abby, IMO. But at least Abby finishes his checks.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Miller is a decent skater. Faster than Abby, IMO. But at least Abby finishes his checks.
Miller isn't a bad skater, but he doesn't accelerate all that quickly. His real value is his ability to read plays.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Eaves has some good quickness. When he's healthy anyway. He's a great forechecker, and his speed is part of that.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Miller isn't a bad skater, but he doesn't accelerate all that quickly. His real value is his ability to read plays.
Yes, Miller played the 2nd heaviest PK mins behind Helm and had the highest on-ice save percentage among guys who are regular PK'ers. That's where his true value lays IMO.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Eaves has some good quickness. When he's healthy anyway. He's a great forechecker, and his speed is part of that.
Seems like Eaves lost some of that when I last saw him. He's probably just not been healthy enough to find his legs. But he had some of the Dan Cleary stench in his game...

It's too bad... because the idea of Tootoo and Eaves on the right side in your bottom six sounds pretty good.

Interesting note that most sources have Mursak as heavier than Eaves.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:59 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
I am very critical of the overall speed of our bottom six forwards. Our forechecking has be awful the last two seasons in part because, apart from Helm and perhaps Abby, we generally lack the foot speed to effectively pressure the opposing defensemen. We are ALWAYS two strides too late. Eaves, Miller and Emmerton are not objectively quick players.
I thought Conner did a great job in that respect last year in the short chance he was given. Wings brass saw it differently I guess.

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:46 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
I am very critical of the overall speed of our bottom six forwards. Our forechecking has be awful the last two seasons in part because, apart from Helm and perhaps Abby, we generally lack the foot speed to effectively pressure the opposing defensemen. We are ALWAYS two strides too late. Eaves, Miller and Emmerton are not objectively quick players.
I think this speed situation at bottom6 could be in hell of a better shape at next season.

1. Holmström gone = anybody else in NHL is faster than him
2. Cleary has had knee problems --> surgery, he could be in his old form again. He is fast.
3. We added Tootoo, he's fast.
4. Helm, fastest player in NHL
5. Abdelkader, faster than average NHLr
6. Mursak, 2nd fastest in team

Cleary - Helm - Tootoo
Miller - Abdelkader - Mursak

That bottom6 isn't lacking speed, even Miller isn't a slow player. If Sammy is at bottom6, he's also fast skater, faster than Hudler ever was.

Nyquist is fast, Brunner is fast. I really like our speed in offensive lines.

Still, the biggest problems are at defence. Othervise, we are good team again.

Last edited by Henkka: 10-03-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:43 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
With how thin our top 6 is I can't really see Babcock bumping Fil or Franzen down to the 3rd line. I do start to like our lines a bit more putting Franzen as the 3rd line center though, and I would like to see him played there. I agree with the idea that with Helm as the 3rd line center you omit a scoring line.

just an idea:

Fil or Nyquist/Dats/Bert
Nyquist or Fil/Z/Sammy
Cleary/Franzen/Brunner
Abby/Helm/Tootoo

Not a big fan of Bert, but Datsyuk seems to like playing with him, and that puts a big body on that line. I would like to see Franzen as the 3rd line center with Cleary and either Sammy or Brunner. That line would be throwing shots up the whole time they are on the ice and could probably generate some offense just from the volume of shots they take.
If Franzen is on the third line as a center, he nees to have one or both of Bert and Nyquist as a winger as they are the only playmaking wingers we expct to have (unless you count Cory Emmerton as a winger). Hudler would have been an option also if he were still around, but he's not.

So given the expectation of Bert on the Dats line, and the idea of Franzen as a third line center, that would make it:

Bert/Dats/Brunner or Cleary
Flip/Z/Sammy
Nyquist/Franzen/Brunner or Cleary
Abby/Helm/Tootoo

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
I thought Conner did a great job in that respect last year in the short chance he was given. Wings brass saw it differently I guess.
Ol' Chris is a frustrating player in that regard. If he had a bigger frame, he'd easily be a steady NHL player. He's got the brains, the footwork, and the hands, but not at the level it needs to be to overcome his ability to get worked off the puck.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Yeah, Eaves is really speedy. Not sure where this idea that he's not comes from. He's been known for his speed his whole career and it's a large factor in why he's kept an NHL job despite never living up to offensive expectations.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:32 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I think this speed situation at bottom6 could be in hell of a better shape at next season.

1. Holmström gone = anybody else in NHL is faster than him
2. Cleary has had knee problems --> surgery, he could be in his old form again. He is fast.
3. We added Tootoo, he's fast.
4. Helm, fastest player in NHL
5. Abdelkader, faster than average NHLr
6. Mursak, 2nd fastest in team

Cleary - Helm - Tootoo
Miller - Abdelkader - Mursak

That bottom6 isn't lacking speed, even Miller isn't a slow player. If Sammy is at bottom6, he's also fast skater, faster than Hudler ever was.

Nyquist is fast, Brunner is fast. I really like our speed in offensive lines.

Still, the biggest problems are at defence. Othervise, we are good team again.
I'm with you (except the Mursak part). All this talk about how we need to improve the forward group is not the biggest problem. If the are outside the top 7 in goals for it would mean a number of players will have very disapointing seasons and no one steps up.

The problem is the Wings D needs to start living up to some expectations. Ericssson, kindl, Smith, Q all need to pick it up. There ain't no help coming from anywhere else.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote