Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

SM-Liiga 2012-13 (general talk)

Old
10-02-2012, 02:43 AM
QnebO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Doctor View Post
I watch a lot of games and Karlsson was something I've never seen before in FEL. Last time I saw something even close to that was Ville Leino 07/08.

Karlsson left V. Filppula to his shadow, and Valtteri was excellent.

I think honestly your being too Jokerit fan if you think Ville Leino is close and dont think Vatanen is.. Thats kinda stupid really. I mean, leino? Cmon. Mikael Granlund was alot better... actually, even Juha-Matti Aaltonen or Tuomas Kiiskinen are skillwise equal or better. Leino isnt anything special. Yes he dominated but the league also sucked that time, that Janne Pesonen dominated too totally and these guys are not close of leagues best guys last few years.

Its part of the Etelän media hype, part of you being Jokerit fan, but its not right. Gosh, think what hype Vatanen would've had if he played in Helsinki.. or Armia? Lehkonen would right now be next teräväinen allready after 6 games or so. These people just dont see others but Helsinkians so brightly.

I know Erik is very very good.. But we should judge him on how he plays, not on who he is. He played really good, but he wasnt THAT special. Vatanen has been more impressive in the SM-Liiga so far atleast, I hope for the sake of entertaiment that Karlsson takes that place from Sami.

As players, Karlsson > Vatanen, he has proven himself in the NHL and has to prove anything in the SM-Liiga, but still Vatanen has so far impressed us more with hes good play in the SM-Liiga. Lets see what Karlsson does after getting rid of jet lag, can he be as impressive to watch as Vatanen was every night? Vatanen should be praised here, because otherwise its underrating him. He was totally impressive and only because of the etelän media he didint get the attention what he would deserve by all means. Maybe its just good and maybe Sami didint even want it, thought. And Im fan of the JyP's worsest enemy, but im still saying it.

I mean, enjoy the Karlsson, hes gonna do those coast to coasters and great shots and passes too and you dont haveto allways think Vatanen when he does it.. Just dont say its like never before seen in this league, because its wrong to say it when our own kid, same age than Erik just have done it two years in row!

Last edited by QnebO: 10-02-2012 at 02:58 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I think honestly your being too Jokerit fan if you think Ville Leino is close and dont think Vatanen is.. Thats kinda stupid really. I mean, leino? Cmon. Mikael Granlund was alot better... actually, even Juha-Matti Aaltonen or Tuomas Kiiskinen are skillwise equal or better. Leino isnt anything special. Yes he dominated but the league also sucked that time, that Janne Pesonen dominated too totally and these guys are not close of leagues best guys last few years.

Its part of the Etelän media hype, part of you being Jokerit fan, but its not right. Gosh, think what hype Vatanen would've had if he played in Helsinki.. or Armia? Lehkonen would right now be next teräväinen allready after 6 games or so. These people just dont see others but Helsinkians so brightly.
You're selling Leino short or simply overrating the others if you think their respective seasons compare to Leino's final season in SM-liiga. Statistically it's not even close but also hockey-wise I think Leino dominated the league much more than any player you mentioned save for maybe Vatanen. He was the undisputed best player in the league, something which couldn't be said about Granlund, Aaltonen or Kiiskinen during their stint in SM-liiga.

And please, don't pull the Southern media hype card. The Mikael Granlund hype train, for example, already took off when he was playing in Oulu only growing into a juggernaut hype machine due to his well played seasons on HIFK as a young player along with the infamous lacrosse goal at WHC 2011.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:06 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
And please, don't pull the Southern media hype card. The Mikael Granlund hype train, for example, already took off when he was playing in Oulu only growing into a juggernaut hype machine due to his well played seasons on HIFK as a young player along with the infamous lacrosse goal at WHC 2011.
You think that Vatanen wouldn't get that superhype like granlund did, if he made those highlight reel goals in Helsinki team? Im sure Vatanen would been as followed in media as granlund if he played in Helsinki.

I probabl more underrate leino than overrate those guys. Janne Pesonen dominated the league with Leino back then, right? Those two guys were the most exciting players back then and they had their scoring race between them two. Maybe the overall level was sloppy enough for them to be the best!

Old
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
You think that Vatanen wouldn't get that superhype like granlund did, if he made those highlight reel goals in Helsinki team? Im sure Vatanen would been as followed in media as granlund if he played in Helsinki.
As far as I know, Vatanen has received warranted hype at least among the hardcore fans. Whether the hype would have been stronger or not had he been playing for a team located in the Helsinki metro-area is pure speculation. Sure, chances are that it would have since Southern Finland consists of the fifth of the nations population, but implying that players playing for teams located outside of the Helsinki area are somehow immune to receive nationwide hype is incorrect.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:35 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Bergenheim scores

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Mara

Kärpät - Jokerit what a game!

Jokinen and Demers completely overshadowed V. Filppula and Karlsson.

Jokinen 0+2, Demers 1+0 and SOLID defense.

Filppula STILL without a goal in SM-liiga.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
freddypuck

i am very impressed with the quality of play, i am used to watching the nhl, but i love this league

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
nonoob12

todays Kärpät -Jokerit game was one of best games of the season in my opinion.

nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctord View Post
i am very impressed with the quality of play, i am used to watching the nhl, but i love this league
Did you watch the Kärpät - Jokerit stream?

I hope people keep streaming, looks good this far, atleast we have some streams!

Old
10-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Did you watch the Kärpät - Jokerit stream?

I hope people keep streaming, looks good this far, atleast we have some streams!
I wouldn't keep hopes too high, that game was basically a re-stream of the Veikkaus TV game which was a re-stream of URHO TV's game.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I wouldn't keep hopes too high, that game was basically a re-stream of the Veikkaus TV game which was a re-stream of URHO TV's game.
Was it re-stream of veikkaus, not urho?

Because I heard it didint lag, and veikkausTV usually lags.

Anyway, even those re-streams would help, as veikkaus shows 1-3 games a week. Some guy also streams tappara games regullary. Hope they develop some culture for streaming

Old
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Pelicans forward Ilkka Pikkarainen flips the bird at the audience at the end of the second period and got a match penalty for it, and possibly more.

Other than that... what a wild rollercoaster-ride of emotions that Ässät-Pelicans game was. First get ahead 3-1, then go down 4-3 only to win the game 7-4.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Was it re-stream of veikkaus, not urho?

Because I heard it didint lag, and veikkausTV usually lags.

Anyway, even those re-streams would help, as veikkaus shows 1-3 games a week. Some guy also streams tappara games regullary. Hope they develop some culture for streaming
It's never lagged for me and I watched the game from via it, not the stream.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
generally, what's wrong with team jokerit. seriously, they should be on the top of the table every season but it seems never to be the case. always contenders, never champions, jesus...

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Owen
Roster Guru

Send a message via ICQ to Owen
Where do they stream out of? I've never seen anything on the league site

Also, what exactly is the deal with IFK anyway? This same thing happened last season where they had about a bajillion players on their roster. You can't possibly tell me that Granlund, Klubertanz, Kuhta, Leinonen, Piiparinen, Sailio, and Vaarasuo are all now injured in addition to the other guys already out. That's a lot of scratched players. How can they get away with having so many guys on the roster?

Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:35 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
generally, what's wrong with team jokerit. seriously, they should be on the top of the table every season but it seems never to be the case. always contenders, never champions, jesus...
A lot of money, good teams on paper, but not much of a winning culture (unlike JYP), and a not so strong playing identity (unlike never-give-up additude of Blues and HIFK, puck-possession play of Kalpa etc. etc.).

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:22 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
A lot of money, good teams on paper, but not much of a winning culture (unlike JYP), and a not so strong playing identity (unlike never-give-up additude of Blues and HIFK, puck-possession play of Kalpa etc. etc.).
Well I wouldn't go as far as talking about winning culture and JYP in the same sentence. Granted, they have done well in the recent years, but it has also made their fans in Jatkoaika for an example, terribly arrogant.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I guess you don't know how hard it is to get success in SM-Liiga? It's very good pro league where everything has to go perfect and "click" if you want to hold the Kanada Malja in the end.

As for Jokerit they are always in high pressure to succeed in the Helsinki area media show etc.

Some reasons:

This season: tons of injuries plus the suspensions and Virta as a headcouch. Still many games left and with the real coaches.

Past: Matti Virmanen as general manager...well that says all.

Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
ES

Player of the Month in September: Teemu Ramstedt (Blues), 4+11 in eight games.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:55 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Jokerit can keep on losing I don't mind at all

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Justinov

So it seems that the three danish NHL'ers will debut for Lukko tonight. So it will be interesting to see if it will make any difference. What do you finnish fans think?

Defence and goal keeping certainly hasnt been Lukko's strong side (according to the stats) so far. One of Frans Nielsen's really strong points are his PK and defensive responsibility, while Philip Larsen is a smart but not so physical defender he is a great prospect on PP for Dallas. Mikkel Bødker is a fast scater and seem on the verge to get his scoring really going. But will they be put on the same line, or spread out over the team?

Simon Nielsen's save percentage (though only 2 matches) looks pretty bad compared to last season, so will he play with his brother tonight or will he be benched?

EDIT: Both Frans Nielsen and Mikkel Bødker will certainly boost any shootouts. Last season Frans Nielsen scored on 7 out of 11 and Mikkel Bødker on 4 out of 9 so they are both regulars on their NHL teams.

Last edited by Justinov: 10-04-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
So it seems that the three danish NHL'ers will debut for Lukko tonight. So it will be interesting to see if it will make any difference. What do you finnish fans think?

Defence and goal keeping certainly hasnt been Lukko's strong side (according to the stats) so far. One of Frans Nielsen's really strong points are his PK and defensive responsibility, while Philip Larsen is a smart but not so physical defender he is a great prospect on PP for Dallas. Mikkel Bødker is a fast scater and seem on the verge to get his scoring really going. But will they be put on the same line, or spread out over the team?

Simon Nielsen's save percentage (though only 2 matches) looks pretty bad compared to last season, so will he play with his brother tonight or will he be benched?

EDIT: Both Frans Nielsen and Mikkel Bødker will certainly boost any shootouts. Last season Frans Nielsen scored on 7 out of 11 and Mikkel Bødker on 4 out of 9 so they are both regulars on their NHL teams.
Philip Larsen 1-1 PP (Otto Honkaheimo, Frans nielsen)
Teemu Nurmi 1-2 SH (Larsen)

Nielsen at net, one goal allowed.

The danes are making impact. Lukko is leading 1-3.

Highlights later tonigh!

Jokerit - HIFK has been sloppy so far.. And refs are whistling too many penalties. Second peroid allmost with no 5 on 5 at all. Hope the third is the most entertaining.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Philip Larsen 1-1 PP (Otto Honkaheimo, Frans nielsen)
Teemu Nurmi 1-2 SH (Larsen)

The danes are making impact. Lukko is leading 1-3.

Highlights later tonigh!

Jokerit - HIFK has been sloppy so far.. And refs are whistling too many penalties. Second peroid allmost with no 5 on 5 at all. Hope the third is the most entertaining.
Philip Larsen started scoring on PP well that is a good sign both Larsen and Frans is trusted already with PP time! Another assist to Larsen and Frans as well! Now Bødker only need to wake up

Hehe Bødker did! 4-1 PP (another assist for Frans)

Last edited by Justinov: 10-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old
10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Philip Larsen started scoring on PP well that is a good sign both Larsen and Frans is trusted already with PP time! Another assist to Larsen and Frans as well! Now Bødker only need to wake up

Hehe Bødker did! 4-1 PP (another assist for Frans)
Seems like those guys were just what Lukko needed.. They were in very hard situation this far.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Seems like those guys were just what Lukko needed.. They were in very hard situation this far.
So since it was impossible to see that match in Denmark...how would you characterize the 4 danes and their playing performance?