HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

big toe callous

Old
10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
deadphish23

vCash: 500
big toe callous

So I get this callous on the outside of my big toe after skating. It's not all that painful, but still annoying and not pain-free. Has anyone had this kind of thing before? How did you treat it, and how can you prevent this? Do I just need better fitting skates?

deadphish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:18 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish23 View Post
So I get this callous on the outside of my big toe after skating. It's not all that painful, but still annoying and not pain-free. Has anyone had this kind of thing before? How did you treat it, and how can you prevent this? Do I just need better fitting skates?
Are you wearing socks when you play? If so, what kind of sock?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:26 AM
keysersoze98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish23 View Post
I get it here and there, usually when I haven't skated much to build up the thick skin. I skate barefoot so I just put a wrap of clear tape around my toe. Real advanced medical stuff, I know.

keysersoze98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:39 AM
deadphish23

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Are you wearing socks when you play? If so, what kind of sock?
Yes I wear socks. Usually a black dress sock or thin soccer sock.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
deadphish23

I used to wear regular crew socks, but thought they might be the culprit so I switched to thin socks. I think the switch has helped a bit, but not eliminated the issue.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
theFinn

I have a similar issue with some new skates I just got, what I did was take it into the skate shop and get the toe punched out a bit. It seemed to help, I skated on Monday night and had less discomfort in the toe area.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
deadphish23

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFinn View Post
I have a similar issue with some new skates I just got, what I did was take it into the skate shop and get the toe punched out a bit. It seemed to help, I skated on Monday night and had less discomfort in the toe area.
Problem is, these are inlines. So the toe is plastic or carbon or whatever. I don't think that is "punchable".

Old
10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Pog Form

I've seen guys wear a gel toe cover on their big toe. Something like this: http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/gel_toe_cap.html

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:12 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I have a callus on my right toe. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, when I was off the ice for a month for vacation, it started to go away. Then when I got back on the ice, it hurt again for a couple of days. Now it's built back up and it doesn't hurt.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Dylbot

Oh come on Mod, that was funny. No curse words, unoffensive. Let us have a little fun.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
ArrogantOwl

I've had mine grow for the past 3 or 4 years. Basically I'd sand it down after it was done growing and it's normally due to your shoe or skate or whatever moving around too much. To eliminate the pain I just sand it down to be slightly more pronounced than the rest of the foot so it's still dead skin on top.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:06 PM
MikeModano9

My grafs gave me a red bump in that spot And I remember it hurting for at least a couple months before the pain just went away, now it's just a callous. Also got my skates punched though. If it's plastic there must be a way to punch it to give you the extra 1/8". Just go check with your local hockey store.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote