HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
katatoniak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Drafting based on size first is the best way to get busts.
Better to have big busts then small ones right ?

Old
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Well, David Fischer and Marcel Hossa are certainly legends in their own way.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I get the argument though. We do need legit size and some ''power game'' in our prospect forward ranks.

The main question is can you find a player who has that and the talent/smarts to be worthy of a 2nd round pick?

Old
10-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I get the argument though. We do need legit size and some ''power game'' in our prospect forward ranks.

The main question is can you find a player who has that and the talent/smarts to be worthy of a 2nd round pick?
Adam Erne (less likely) and William Carrier could drop to the 2nd round, there's also Anthony Mantha, Nick Baptiste, Stephen Harper (might be available later though)... those are known commodities mainly, we'll discover others as the year progress.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Andros777

Quote:

Old
10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Big Busts are definitely better visually,John Leclair was a big bust in Montreal,Jayne Mansfield had a big bust.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:31 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Barkov is having a great start to the season, wow!

Such a beast.

He's a Habs fan too

Old
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Russians love the city of Montreal cause they know they can come party here

Old
10-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

I agree with this but I think it's compeltely foolish to burn a first rounder on the "New Lucic" the way Toronto did with Biggs and Washington did with Wilson, especially when there's still talent there.

Size and power is something we need to consider, but if you are going to gamble entirely on that it shouldn't be when there's still high end skill left. If this draft is as deep as everyone says, maybe someone who fill fit what we need will fall through to the 2nd round...

Old
10-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
For sure and I don't think we have anything to worry about, Timmins and Bergevin made it clear at the draft that skill is #1, without it you can't play.

Colton Gillies is another prime example of what you are talking about.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Russians love the city of Montreal cause they know they can come party here
Hum, Finn.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Adam Erne (less likely) and William Carrier could drop to the 2nd round, there's also Anthony Mantha, Nick Baptiste, Stephen Harper (might be available later though)... those are known commodities mainly, we'll discover others as the year progress.
I would have a hard time rooting for Stephen Harper...

Old
10-03-2012, 08:47 AM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
He'd probably be a good right winger.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
He can speak french too.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Going the New School Way of Drafting- 2nd round choices;Center-Justin Bailey-Kitchener-OHL,LW-Tyler Hill-CT HIGH-Hotchkiss,RW-Mike McCarron-USA U/18 built for size,speed and talent.Hab fans can replace Bailey with Fred Gauthier @ 6'5"-210 lbs. at center Hill @6'6"-220 lbs.LW and McCarron @ 6'5"-228 lbs.RW now that's a big line with speed.
While getting some flak here about my choices for 2nd round picks the Habs could make,I missed Center-Bogdan Yakimov @ 6'4" and 200 lbs.a definite Power Forward centerman with offensive instincts.All the above players are in Bleacher Reports Top 50 prospects not playing in the NHL and are draft eligible this year.The Habs can surely use some beef up front with Hudon,Collberg,Gallagher and perhaps Drouin in the 1st round this year.So I was being serious about these players,the Habs need to add some talent with size for their 1st,2nd,3rd & 4th lines to hope to compete in the playoffs.With NYR's,Flyers,Bruins,etc with their bruising teams,our smaller skill players in the future will have some help in front of the net and on the boards.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
That

Quote:
Going the New School Way of Drafting- 2nd round choices;Center-Justin Bailey-Kitchener-OHL,LW-Tyler Hill-CT HIGH-Hotchkiss,RW-Mike McCarron-USA U/18 built for size,speed and talent.Hab fans can replace Bailey with Fred Gauthier @ 6'5"-210 lbs. at center Hill @6'6"-220 lbs.LW and McCarron @ 6'5"-228 lbs.RW now that's a big line with speed.
Justin Bailey is certainly an interesting player. I've only seen 2 games of him so far, but he has to keep his head up. He already got his wake up call from Sieloff, so hopefully he'll stop looking down at the puck.

Fred Gauthier is also interesting. Has anyone seen him play? Can anyone tell me about Anthony Mantha and William Carrier? They both seem to be off to good starts.

Good post by the way. I don't know anything about the others that you mentioned, but I certainly like the idea of drafting size up front.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I agree with this but I think it's compeltely foolish to burn a first rounder on the "New Lucic" the way Toronto did with Biggs and Washington did with Wilson, especially when there's still talent there.

Size and power is something we need to consider, but if you are going to gamble entirely on that it shouldn't be when there's still high end skill left. If this draft is as deep as everyone says, maybe someone who fill fit what we need will fall through to the 2nd round...
I agree that we shouldnt draft ''lucics'' in the 1 round.. You should try and get a game breaker.

But in the second round, they're my priority. If Biggs would've falled to us in the second round(if we had a pick-_-) I would've wished we picked him.

Maybe even Wilson/Sam over Collberg.

Quote:
While getting some flak here about my choices for 2nd round picks the Habs could make,I missed Center-Bogdan Yakimov @ 6'4" and 200 lbs.a definite Power Forward centerman with offensive instincts.All the above players are in Bleacher Reports Top 50 prospects not playing in the NHL and are draft eligible this year.The Habs can surely use some beef up front with Hudon,Collberg,Gallagher and perhaps Drouin in the 1st round this year.So I was being serious about these players,the Habs need to add some talent with size for their 1st,2nd,3rd & 4th lines to hope to compete in the playoffs.With NYR's,Flyers,Bruins,etc with their bruising teams,our smaller skill players in the future will have some help in front of the net and on the boards.
Bleacher Reports don't know squat about hockey.
But I agree with you. With that many skilled forward we should try and get some toughies..

Old
10-05-2012, 12:43 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I agree that we shouldnt draft ''lucics'' in the 1 round.. You should try and get a game breaker.

But in the second round, they're my priority. If Biggs would've falled to us in the second round(if we had a pick-_-) I would've wished we picked him.

Bleacher Reports don't know squat about hockey.
But I agree with you. With that many skilled forward we should try and get some toughies..
Reading The Hockey News magazine Sept.17th 2012 Prospect Report a full-page about Tyler Hill LW 6'6" and 220 lbs.His three sports at Hotchkiss Prep are Hockey, Weightlifting and Lacrosse.His coach says he hits like a freigh train,has pretty good hands and moves well for his size,which he's growing into.He's my choice for a 2nd round pick if he's still available,he's the type of player that Timmins loves and a leader as well.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

I'd pick Collberg over these guys and I'm very thankful other GMs disagree with me, because Collberg was the kind of soft handed sniper we needed as much as we needed size, not to mention he's less afraid of the corners than plenty of 6+ footers.

But yes that is the type of target for the second round, especially after this draft bigger wingers is besides goalies the only thing we didn't stock up on. I believe in BPA for more than one round but for close calls now we can focus on a Biggs type more than a Collberg type.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:08 AM
S Bah

Quote:
I'd pick Collberg over these guys and I'm very thankful other GMs disagree with me, because Collberg was the kind of soft handed sniper we needed as much as we needed size, not to mention he's less afraid of the corners than plenty of 6+ footers.

But yes that is the type of target for the second round, especially after this draft bigger wingers is besides goalies the only thing we didn't stock up on. I believe in BPA for more than one round but for close calls now we can focus on a Biggs type more than a Collberg type.
Getting Collberg with the 33rd pick was like the Islanders getting Trottier with the 30th.Not very often GM's get that lucky,except Montreal's GM's.I would love to see Tyler Hill play LW with Collberg and Galchenyuk,nice line IMO.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:27 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
LOL

What would be surprisingly ironic is if he turn out to be a good left winger!

Old
10-05-2012, 08:33 AM
LePoche69

Quote:

I'm not downplaying your post at all. It is just that I read this bold argument quite often, but I think it is irrelevent.

There is no point in being not afraid of going into the corners if you don't have the necessary strenght of winning a battle for the puck. There are pleinty of useless talented wingers who weren't afraid but never succeeded because they always lose the puck.

And based on some report I read in the Collberg thread, it is one of his problem right now. Now he's still young and he can very well work on his strenght the next 2-3 years. Let's hope so.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
He can speak french too.
Quote:
LOL

What would be surprisingly ironic is if he turn out to be a good left winger!
Maybe he could fast talk the refs out of penalties as well.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Fozz

Quote:
I'm not downplaying your post at all. It is just that I read this bold argument quite often, but I think it is irrelevent.

There is no point in being not afraid of going into the corners if you don't have the necessary strenght of winning a battle for the puck. There are pleinty of useless talented wingers who weren't afraid but never succeeded because they always lose the puck.

And based on some report I read in the Collberg thread, it is one of his problem right now. Now he's still young and he can very well work on his strenght the next 2-3 years. Let's hope so.
There are also a bunch of players that are as strong as bulls and that aren't able to win puck battles. This is a much more technical thing than people think it is, as quickness, timing and body position are far more important than strength to be effective. Just watch guys like Giroux, Datsyuk, Alfredsson, etc. (even Desharnais) and they almost always come out of battles with the puck.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Strenght is not everything. You need to be quick, have good body position and have quick hands..

Quote:
Reading The Hockey News magazine Sept.17th 2012 Prospect Report a full-page about Tyler Hill LW 6'6" and 220 lbs.His three sports at Hotchkiss Prep are Hockey, Weightlifting and Lacrosse.His coach says he hits like a freigh train,has pretty good hands and moves well for his size,which he's growing into.He's my choice for a 2nd round pick if he's still available,he's the type of player that Timmins loves and a leader as well.
Seem's like a beast. But I think we could maybe land him with our last 2nd.. So that's good.

Quote:

I'd pick him too.. Collberg was a blessing.. But if a kid like Saad was available?? Or Jenner ?? I don't know.. :l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
There are also a bunch of players that are as strong as bulls and that aren't able to win puck battles. This is a much more technical thing than people think it is, as quickness, timing and body position are far more important than strength to be effective. Just watch guys like Giroux, Datsyuk, Alfredsson, etc. (even Desharnais) and they almost always come out of battles with the puck.
Datsyuk is strong. Chara said at the ASG that hes not even able to push him down.
DD is the only one that really fits that bill... And he gets out without the puck more often than with.

Closed Thread