HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
SkullSplitter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so he has an agent. I pay taxes and union dues too.

I'm not trying to be bitter. I have no problem with them making good money. I just can't make myself feel bad for them over financial issues. One minimum wage NHL season gives you enough money to build yourself a great life.
Well sure, even after taxes you could buy a house in the country on good acreage outright and then get some solar panels and a windmill and a good well drilled. With some livestock and a big vegetable garden you'd be able to keep your food expenses down & then all you'd have to worry about would be property taxes & heating, but heck with the latter, if you went way out in the country where the lands cheap enough and got enough acreage, you could just chop down some trees each year and have a wood burning boiler.

But my point is that for having to put their bodies on the line, and for the revenue the players generate for the league, they're worth every penny & I think it's unfair for the owners to ask them to take less in order to fix the owner's problems.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullSplitter View Post
Well sure, even after taxes you could buy a house in the country on good acreage outright and then get some solar panels and a windmill and a good well drilled. With some livestock and a big vegetable garden you'd be able to keep your food expenses down & then all you'd have to worry about would be property taxes & heating, but heck with the latter, if you went way out in the country where the lands cheap enough and got enough acreage, you could just chop down some trees each year and have a wood burning boiler.

But my point is that for having to put their bodies on the line, and for the revenue the players generate for the league, they're worth every penny & I think it's unfair for the owners to ask them to take less in order to fix the owner's problems.
This post is kind of strange

Anyway, not many here are arguing that these players make too much, but rather that they need to stop ****ing and looking for sympathy by comparing themselves to the common man. Oh no you only make 550k a year? Get that **** out of here.

Just because you were a professional hockey player from age 20-27 with 5 years in the NHL, for example, it doesn't mean you are entitled to a full wealth filled retirement.

However, they are fair to question the motives of the owners and want a fair deal. Just stop trying to make me feel bad for you in the process because I don't. That was the main point people were making.

That said, if 3mil isn't enough to live off of for a while then you are living above your long term needs or you didn't plan properly.

Also, the whole "put their bodies on the line" is kind of garbage IMO. They CHOSE to put their bodies on the line. No one is forcing them to play that kind of hockey but the fact is, guys like Barch just aren't good enough to succeed in the NHL as a skilled player. They could have gone to college for business, medical school, etc. but chose to try hockey and had to make it as a scrub, fighter, etc. Good on them but quit whining.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullSplitter View Post

They earn every penny they make, I agree. But building a great life doesn't mean never working again. If someone can't stick in a pro sport long enough to make a career out of it, they should not feel entitled to a life of leisure without working afterwords. Time to find a new career. Good news for them: they have a lot more money than most people looking to start a new career.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

The players put their bodies on the line? So what? I did too playing pick-up hockey and broke my nose, and just had surgery done so I could breathe out of it again. Where's my millions of dollars?

And I'll gladly take 10 more pucks to the face for fraction of their salary. Everything you do has risks to it, and it's pissing me off they can't appreciate what they have going for them. While I volunteer to go through the same risks at my own expense, while I work the same boring job everyday, and have to come home to watching basketball now.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
The players put their bodies on the line? So what? I did too playing pick-up hockey and broke my nose, and just had surgery done so I could breathe out of it again. Where's my millions of dollars?

And I'll gladly take 10 more pucks to the face for fraction of their salary. Everything you do has risks to it, and it's pissing me off they can't appreciate what they have going for them. While I volunteer to go through the same risks at my own expense, while I work the same boring job everyday, and have to come home to watching basketball now.
The difference is that your play and pain brought joy to yourself, maybe your friends, and likely your family. If you fluffed a play, you're not on the 6 o'clock bulletin, you're not in the newspapers, and you're not recognised and given a verbal as you walk down the street. You can go to a bar without being recognised by every scrub who is looking to make a name for himself. And finally, your career is not at imminent risk of being ended at any second by some freak accident / incident a la Crosby. And you also need to remember that they are entertainers by trade. I do not think their salaries are too unreasonable for the level of entertainment provided and to the numbers that it is provided and the sponsorship and television revenues generated by that entertainment.

My five cents worth.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
The difference is that your play and pain brought joy to yourself, maybe your friends, and likely your family. If you fluffed a play, you're not on the 6 o'clock bulletin, you're not in the newspapers, and you're not recognised and given a verbal as you walk down the street. You can go to a bar without being recognised by every scrub who is looking to make a name for himself. And finally, your career is not at imminent risk of being ended at any second by some freak accident / incident a la Crosby. And you also need to remember that they are entertainers by trade. I do not think their salaries are too unreasonable for the level of entertainment provided and to the numbers that it is provided and the sponsorship and television revenues generated by that entertainment.

My five cents worth.
Again, no one is saying they make too much. All we are saying is stop *****ing about putting your body on the line because 1. You chose to do it and 2. You are getting paid big bucks to play a game many of us play and sacrifice our bodies for and we actually pay to do so.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Shady Machine

On another note, I'm beginning to get angry about this lockout. There was an article on TSN about the NHL having a meeting with top advertisers giving them details on the lockout and other information to keep them in the loop. I'm not opposed to that but the fans are the biggest generators of revenue and we just get screwed throughout this whole process. Where's our meeting with the league? I know that's not really feasible anyway, but I'm tired of being used as a pawn through the media without any real say or disclosure in the matter.

I'm just so tired of the ******** in our society. Politicians feed us the same crap. Big business feeds us the same crap. And now our beloved game of hockey is feeding us the same crap. I don't want to go all Occupy on this but it's really getting frustrated to feel like you don't actually have a real say in things. End of irrational rant.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Shady Machine

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1266869

The Hockey News interview with Fehr. Worth a read I guess.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Milliardo

Sorry, someone changed the quote from the the translated interview. He still says the won't counter because it makes no sense to them.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
First chunk of the games being cancelled today.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Herp Derpson.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Pathetic though not surprising.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I can't believe it's happening again. Unreal

Old
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
SteelPenguin
#LetsGoPens

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Although, not official, it's expected the NHL will announce games from Oct 11 through Oct 24th have been cancelled.
I miss Penguins hockey!

Old
10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Official
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642785&cmpid=twt

Old
10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
mpp9

What a joke

Old
10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

First game is now against the Rangers.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
SidTheKid8787

Things start to sink in now with the players. Whether they are united or not. The fact is you're sitting on your ass and the checks are about to come less frequently or at all.

I know the players get back a nice chunk mid-october so spend it wisely lads.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Ominous Grey

I'm so depressed.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Shady Machine

Screw them all. I'll just have to find something productive to do with my evenings now.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:36 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Yay! Games are cancelled. Guess I can devote more time to studies.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

This is the point where I lose respect for both sides. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they have unbelievable stones canceling regular season games.

I hope other fans find a way to stick it to the league and players. However, I'm ashamed to say I'll be right there watching the first game of the season, even if it is next year.... Because I'm stupid like that.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'm never buying NHL merchandise ever again.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
This is the point where I lose respect for both sides. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they have unbelievable stones canceling regular season games.

I hope other fans find a way to stick it to the league and players. However, I'm ashamed to say I'll be right there watching the first game of the season, even if it is next year.... Because I'm stupid like that.
this

on a plus note, both of my jerseys are knockoffs. take that NHL the 7 or 8 t-shirt jerseys, not so much.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Shady Machine

I know I probably sound loony, but why not start a fan protest day in front of the arenas? I would imagine you could get a couple hundred college students, let alone the the fanbase from all demographics, to stand in front of the Consol Energy Center for a Saturday in protest. I'm not naive enough to think this will change things, but at least it would place some media attention on the fans. This lockout is about us as fans as well. Both the players and the owners are showing their lack of respect for us through this process. So why not show our lack of respect for them?

Closed Thread