HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most underrated Isle ever

Old
10-03-2012, 12:40 AM
doublechili

vCash: 500
Most underrated Isle ever

Okay, I just read the Dee Karl list of nominees for best Isles' defenders of all-time on Hockebuzz. It's got some obvious omissions and some crazy inclusions, but what struck me was not only who was left off but who no one even commented on as being omitted. So here's the point of the thread:

Tomas Jonsson is the most underrated Isles' player of all-time.

This guy was an excellent offensive defenseman who had a good all-around game. After Potvin, Persson, Morrow and maybe Langevin and Kenny Jonsson, I might put him next on the list of all-time Isles defensemen, but he doesn't even get a mention as a nominee out of 20+ players and no one even mentions him as missing. And he gets nary a mention on these boards when people hark back to the glory days.

So, try to top Tomas Jonsson on the underrated list....

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Renbarg

I'm a younger fan so I will only include Islanders from 96 on (roughly the time I could remember):

1) Radek Martinek
2) Jason Weimer
3) Claude Lapointe (kind of iffy for me, as he played on some real awful teams and was the only good thing out there, as evidence by his multiple Bobby Ny awards). But he was definitely underrated in 01-02 and probably should not have been traded away the next year.
4) Eric Cairns - I only say he is underrated because in my eyes he was finally capable of playing a regular shift leading under the old-NHL rules leading up to the lockout. I always thought he was never given enough credit for his non-goonery.
5) Tom Chorske

To me, those are the most underrated Islanders in the past 15 years. I doubt any of them top a dynasty era guy like Tomas Jonsson.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:55 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Okay, I just read the Dee Karl list of nominees for best Isles' defenders of all-time on Hockebuzz. It's got some obvious omissions and some crazy inclusions, but what struck me was not only who was left off but who no one even commented on as being omitted. So here's the point of the thread:

This guy was an excellent offensive defenseman who had a good all-around game. After Potvin, Persson, Morrow and maybe Langevin and Kenny Jonsson, I might put him next on the list of all-time Isles defensemen, but he doesn't even get a mention as a nominee out of 20+ players and no one even mentions him as missing. And he gets nary a mention on these boards when people hark back to the glory days.

Dylan Reese is on the list....yikes.

Langevin was also missed.

Agree on Jonsson, people forget him because Potvin was so dominant. Jonsson kinda took over what Persson was so good at, a smart, offensive support player, PP guy, responsible defensively, great first pass, can play well under pressure, not physical but smart and efficient.

Nice choice.

Coincidentally, Kenny Jonsson was very similar, just bigger and playing on far worse teams ( though the late 80s saw some awful NYI teams as well. )

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:36 AM
frankieboy

1) Joe Reekie (he was physical, a leader, and basically a rock back there for us...he was a steal for what I recall was a 5th round pick!)
2) Steve Konroyd (solid d-man, but not here too long...I could check, but I believe he was dealt to Chicago)
3) Stefan Persson (maybe not underrated by us, but DEFINITELY by hockey fans in general)

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I'm a younger fan so I will only include Islanders from 96 on (roughly the time I could remember):

1) Radek Martinek
2) Jason Weimer
3) Claude Lapointe (kind of iffy for me, as he played on some real awful teams and was the only good thing out there, as evidence by his multiple Bobby Ny awards). But he was definitely underrated in 01-02 and probably should not have been traded away the next year.
4) Eric Cairns - I only say he is underrated because in my eyes he was finally capable of playing a regular shift leading under the old-NHL rules leading up to the lockout. I always thought he was never given enough credit for his non-goonery.
5) Tom Chorske

To me, those are the most underrated Islanders in the past 15 years. I doubt any of them top a dynasty era guy like Tomas Jonsson.
I'm not knocking you, but this list is reflective of just how bad things have been for the last 2+ decades.

My choice is Gordie Lane.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:36 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Kenny Jonsson imo.

I don't think fans( especially non-isle fans), appreciated how good Kenny was.
One of my all time favorite Islanders.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:47 AM
burana800

Hans " Marginally talented" Tavares

burana800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Bert Marshall days

Andre St. Laurent and Bert Marshall were pretty good on some bad teams.

Lane, Merrick would be up there, certainly Tomas Jonsson but I'd say Langevin.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Mike Watt.

Dude scored 2 shorthanded goals in one game. Mike Watt was beast.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:12 AM
KyleBailey12

I'm too young to make a meaningful contribution to this thread, but I'll throw in my +1 to the Radek Martinek post that Renbarg made. Obviously he isn't the most underrated Islander ever, but he came into my mind when I saw the thread title.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:

Wow, just looked up the article. What an AWFUL list of candidates she chose:

Gord Dineen
Travis Hamonic
Roman Hamrlik
Gerry Hart
Kenny Jonsson
Darius Kasparaitis
Uwe Krupp
Bob Lorimer
Andrew MacDonald
Radek Martinek
Bryan McCabe
Ken Morrow
Janne Niinimaa
Stefan Persson
Rich Pilon
Denis Potvin
Jean Potvin
Dylan Reese
Mark Streit
Andy Sutton
Brendan Witt
Alexei Zhitnik

Clearly written by someone who has absolutely no sense of Isles history. Niinimaa? Sutton? Witt? Zhitnik? Reese?????

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Wow, just looked up the article. What an AWFUL list of candidates she chose:

Gord Dineen
Travis Hamonic
Roman Hamrlik
Gerry Hart
Kenny Jonsson
Darius Kasparaitis
Uwe Krupp
Bob Lorimer
Andrew MacDonald
Radek Martinek
Bryan McCabe
Ken Morrow
Janne Niinimaa
Stefan Persson
Rich Pilon
Denis Potvin
Jean Potvin
Dylan Reese
Mark Streit
Andy Sutton
Brendan Witt
Alexei Zhitnik

Clearly written by someone who has absolutely no sense of Isles history. Niinimaa? Sutton? Witt? Zhitnik? Reese?????
I should have looked at an all-time roster before posting because I forgot many names. Uwe Krupp is an awesome selection. We should have never gotten rid of him. Another guy I liked for whatever reason in the mid-80s was Randy Boyd.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
scott99

Rich Pilon was very underrated. He was a mean SOB and tough to play against. Tomas Jonsson was one of my favorite Islanders when I was growing up. I remember when they drafted him, and watching him against Team USA in the 1980 Olympics. I always used to fight with Ranger's fans, saying Jonsson was better than Reijo Routsilainen lol.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I should have looked at an all-time roster before posting because I forgot many names. Uwe Krupp is an awesome selection. We should have never gotten rid of him. Another guy I liked for whatever reason in the mid-80s was Randy Boyd.
Boyd was Mr. Hustle. Always getting into the dirty areas. Hubie McDonough but with talent and some size.

Frankieboy has a solid defender - Joe Reekie. Always reliable, always a plus. Lost because management was so inept.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
LongIslandCircus

John Tonelli - An absolutely crucial piece during the dynasty. One of the best forecheckers this game has seen.

Kenny Jonsson - Others have already described.

Dave Scatchard - Solid, hard nosed, two way center that passed the 20 goal mark a few times. Really a complete player that added toughness

Richard Park - Never was a big "Park" fan, but no denying this guys versitility was a huge asset on some mediocre teams

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
BillD

Tomas Jonsson

Wayne Merrick

Mke McEwan

Robbie DiMao

Gord Lane

Joe Reekie

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Crashsunday

Quote:

Obviously, my avatar is going to give away the fact that I agree with you.

Crashsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Moosie

I'd add Tommy Fitzgerald to the list. Richie Pilon was the ultimate warrior. One of my favorite memories is of him harrassing Mario Lemieux.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Isles Junkie

Kenny Jonsson & Adrian Aucoin immediately come to mind.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:01 AM
LAIslanderFan

Bob Bourne
Lorne Henning

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Symon Asher

Anders Kallur an Billy Carrol

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Jonsson and Persson

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Fantom

cashin
Yes he was overpaid by alot. Many fans hated him called him useless because of that. However he was a 70 pt player. Most fans acted like he was only getting 1 pt a seson not 70

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Two Words:

FRANS NIELSEN

Most underated player in the NHL right now, even after his raise.

All time:

Bob Bourne

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:33 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
cashin
Yes he was overpaid by alot. Many fans hated him called him useless because of that. However he was a 70 pt player. Most fans acted like he was only getting 1 pt a seson not 70
interesting point.

It's so true that fans acted like he had Niederreiter-seasons.

I wouldn't ever say he was underrated, since he came with such high expectations and was supposed to be a leader for the organization, someone to make the Isles a perennial playoff team - and he truly disappointed.

I have a hard time having Yashin as "underrated" - but you're totally right about how he's trashed, you'd think he was Andy Hilbert without the talent.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote