HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 3.0 - Unbelievable++ Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
vad87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Should have been a 1st rounder...

1st rounder? Are you crazy? The guy's not only a 1st rounder but a top 5 pick. Grigo with 12 pts in 5 games is 3rd in scoring (LHJMQ) and Vail with his 9 pts in 5 games is also 3rd in scoring but in the OHL. Screw up Galchy we needed to pick Vail or Grigo with our 3rd overall pick...

Seriously, Galchy needs time to find back his timing and we all know that Sarnia has a poor team this year compared to QC. It's not a race about winning junior scoring championship or the 1st to make the jump in the NHL. It's about being the best NHLer for their whole career. Boone Jenner leads the OHL with 7-5-12 in 5 games compared to 3-5-8 in games games for Scheifele. Anyone picking up Jenner ??

Old
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
FrankMTL

Is Galchenyuk really 6 foot 2, 205 pounds? They have this height and weight on both the Sarnia Sting website and HockeyDB. What a beast!

Old
10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Is Galchenyuk really 6 foot 2, 205 pounds? They have this height and weight on both the Sarnia Sting website and HockeyDB. What a beast!
Maybe he weighs that much, but he's not that tall, unless he grew 1.5" since the combine. He's been listed as 6'2 on sarnia's website since last season, though. So it seems more likely that they just haven't changed the listing.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Maybe he weighs that much, but he's not that tall, unless he grew 1.5" since the combine. He's been listed as 6'2 on sarnia's website since last season, though. So it seems more likely that they just haven't changed the listing.
The lack of updated/accurate information about the height and weight
of prospects is endlessly annoying. Every team has medicals, and measurements
before every season. And most serious fans would like this information. I don't
understand why teams, and especially NHL teams don't provide updated info
every training camp.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:11 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
The lack of updated/accurate information about the height and weight
of prospects is endlessly annoying. Every team has medicals, and measurements
before every season. And most serious fans would like this information. I don't
understand why teams, and especially NHL teams don't provide updated info
every training camp.
I agree it's annoying, but there hasn't been training camp. He was 6'0.5" 198lbs at the combine.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:52 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I agree it's annoying, but there hasn't been training camp. He was 6'0.5" 198lbs at the combine.
Size is hardly a concern though for Gally, any bigger and he would be a devastator with his style. Although he looks really big on skates, so it has me wondering if he really is under 6'1.

This ''underwhelming'' start to the season sure put to rest all of that speculation about him being NHL ready though. Let me tell ya.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 10-04-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old
10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Size is hardly a concern though for Gally, any bigger and he would be a devastator with his style. Although he looks really big on skates, so it has me wondering if he really is under 6'1.

This ''underwhelming'' start to the season sure put to rest all of that speculation about him being NHL ready though. Let me tell ya.
Agree, it's pretty safe to say hell end up at least 6'1" 205 lbs.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

The height that really matters in the NHL is shoulder height. From skates to shoulders he actually looks pretty big. He might just have a small neck.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
I am sure once he puts up a 3 point game we'll have people putting him on LW with Plekanec and Gionta again.

Finally the Sting return to action tomorrow night against Owen Sound. That is followed by games on Saturday and Monday (vs Vail and Windsor). These 4-5 days breaks can't be helping Alex in getting his timing back.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:10 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I am sure once he puts up a 3 point game we'll have people putting him on LW with Plekanec and Gionta again.

Finally the Sting return to action tomorrow night against Owen Sound. That is followed by games on Saturday and Monday (vs Vail and Windsor). These 4-5 days breaks can't be helping Alex in getting his timing back.
Whats up with their schedule? It is simply brutal. Started off the season with 2 games in 3 nights. Then went on a 4 night break, followed by 2 games in 2 nights, followed by a 5 night break.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Whats up with their schedule? It is simply brutal. Started off the season with 2 games in 3 nights. Then went on a 4 night break, followed by 2 games in 2 nights, followed by a 5 night break.
A lot of the kids that play in the OHL still are in highschool. If they are playing games every other day like the NHL, they won't have enough time to balance their work and hockey. That's why most of there games are on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. A lot of these kids aren't going to have a career in hockey, so they value education quite highly.

Last edited by That: 10-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old
10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
A lot of the kids that play in the OHL still are in highschool. If they are playing games every other day like the NHL, they won't have enough time to balance their work and hockey. That's why most of there games are on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. A lot of these kids aren't going to have a career in hockey, so they value education quite highly.
That would make perfect sense. Thanks!

Old
10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Most definitely. The league has put a huge focus on education in the last few years and as many coaches and GMs like to say now, it's a "weekend league." The number of mid-week games has been drastically reduced.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Look what I found:

http://web.stagram.com/p/295522240196990215_191872772

I remember Grant right after the draft saying that Timmins told him Galchenyuk and Collberg had played on some sort of European team a few years ago, here's proof.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:41 PM
domdo345

Well if they ever tore the league up this picture will be gold!

Old
10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Look what I found:

http://web.stagram.com/p/295522240196990215_191872772

I remember Grant right after the draft saying that Timmins told him Galchenyuk and Collberg had played on some sort of European team a few years ago, here's proof.
THere's also Filip Forsberg (#3 next to Collberg). HAHA that's so cool.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:49 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

That team must have destroyed with Forsberg, Collberg and Gally on it.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Are Habs fans a little worried about Galchenyuk's first few games? How many points do you expect from him at season's end to justify his top 3 selection?

Old
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Are Habs fans a little worried about Galchenyuk's first few games? How many points do you expect from him at season's end to justify his top 3 selection?
Can't speak for other Hab fans but:
-No, I haven't seen any reason to worry about Galchenyuk from the games I've watched
-His NHL career will justify his top 3 selection, not his post-draft junior year

Old
10-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Little worried, yes, but it's only a small sample of games played.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
I don't know about other Habs fans, but I'm not worried.

He has to get his timing back due to his injury, and the fact that Sarnia isn't as strong as they were last year in terms of overall depth are factors for why he doesn't have a PPG.+ average.

But he has been pretty good his first few games, which makes me believe he will only get better as the season goes on.

He should get about 85+ points in the OHL this year.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
ponder

3 points in 4 games is nothing to worry about from a stats point of view, especially considering Sarnia haven't been scoring much in general. I'd be more curious to hear how he's looked on the ice from Sting fans who've been watching all the games. Does he still look consistently dangerous without Yakupov on the team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
194 lbs actually, but that's splitting hairs. His size is fine, not exceptional or anything, but fine.

Edit: whoops, googled a Galchenyuk thread, thought I was on the prospects board, not the Habs board, which is why I was looking for a report from Sting fans

Old
10-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Rozz

Quote:
Just watch the highlights (or archived games if you can find them) from the few games so far this year... there is nothing to worry about with Galchenyuk. Heís is an absolute beast on the ice. If you watch the power plays, itís pretty much a one man show. Unfortunately the team as a whole isnít doing the best... and he has very little to work with.
Itís all going to come down to the combination of the fact that have been pointed out above.
1. His timing is still a fraction off. But you can see the moves and things he's (for the most part) pulling off... when his timing returns and he starts finishing more of these things he is going to blow peopleís minds.
2. The team as a whole isn't doing good... he really doesn't have people to play on his level so he's going to have to adjust his game slightly to accommodate his team mates more ... and he will Iím sure.. Heís gonna figure out to simplify it a bit and utilize his team mates properly and get everyone working together... and the pucks will start going in, his assist and goal totals will rocket up
3. The opposing teams arenít stupid, they are targeting him all game to try and shut him down with 2 or 3 guys at a time. This is something he has to get used to and adjust a bit. This is also where learning to utilize his team mates more appropriately will help him.

But I have no worry that all those things will fall in place pretty quick... he's gotten better and better with every period and game that goes by.

Now I canít speak for everybody but Iím gonna go on a limb and say that most here in habsland aren't too worried... he's still the guy Iíd take even with the second draft pick.. Possibly even first

Old
10-05-2012, 05:40 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
3 points in 4 games is nothing to worry about from a stats point of view, especially considering Sarnia haven't been scoring much in general. I'd be more curious to hear how he's looked on the ice from Sting fans who've been watching all the games. Does he still look consistently dangerous without Yakupov on the team?

194 lbs actually, but that's splitting hairs. His size is fine, not exceptional or anything, but fine.

Edit: whoops, googled a Galchenyuk thread, thought I was on the prospects board, not the Habs board, which is why I was looking for a report from Sting fans
Good post Ponder. I'm not a Sting fan (Colts), but I've watched every Sarnia game and I've made posts after the game, I don't want to quote all of them, but he's been steadily improving every game, and becoming making better decisions. There's definitely an adjust period due to obviously losing Yakupov, teams covering him more, and obviously missing a season. He's been dangerous at times, but not consistently dangerous. He's been either selfish, or selfless with the puck and he needs to find a medium in that. Overall, he's been good, not great.

I know I've mentioned it before, but getting worried about Galchenyuk right now is stupid. When the WJC rolls and around and he's producing at the same rate as he is now, then it's time for concern. Right now it's not.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Anyone who is worried about Galchenyuk not turning out to be a great NHL player already is an idiot, seriously.. its been 4 games, and he has nothing to work with in Sarnia

Closed Thread