HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trades that are not as lopsided as some people may think or believe

Old
10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
Well, the Kessel trade turned out to be quite lopsided because of one of the firsts turning into Seguin. But still, the Leafs weren't very competitive at the time and the outcome was a probable one. Kessel is the kind of guy he should've gone for to complete a team, not to be the core piece (like Jeff Carter)

If you look it in isolation it was an okay deal but given the context it really was an awful move.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Trent hunter. 38 games 2g,5a,7pts- 1 point every 5.428 games
Brian rolston. 49 games. 4g,5a,9pts- 1 point every 5.444 games. ( with isles)

EVEN
I hope this is a joke. Rolston was the worst player on the ice for the Islanders every game. He made the team worse. Then, when he left, he complained about the lack of ice time that he never deserved getting. If he gets his legs cut off, I'd be okay with it.

Hunter was bad, but he tried on every shift. He had to be let go of, though. It was time.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:59 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm a huge fan of Beauchemin but that trade was and always will be awful. We let Beauchemin go for nothing when he left after the '09 season and then went and traded two assets for him a year and a half later. Lupul was a bit redundant but was never given a chance in the top 6 after returning from injury (and was still producing 0.50PPG with limited minutes) and Gardiner was our best defensive prospect.

I don't think the Nash trade is as bad as many made out. The Kessel trade isn't that bad either but I do think it will come back to hurt the Leafs in a few years.
3 assets.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
On paper Ferrence/Sturm dont equal 1/2 of Thornton as far as individual talent on the ice is concerned... but this trade was about changing the culture of the B's. We got back way better culture
Swap out "Ference/Sturm" with "Dubinsky/Anisimov" and "Thornton" with "Nash" and this is a nice description of #61's departure as well. Only the two of them together have met or exceeded his scoring, and we got even more assets back.

Not that makes me miss him any less.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Iceonfire

CGY- Iginla, Millen
DAL-Nieuwendyk

Obviously we know what happened with Iginla. And Nieuwendyk helped Dallas to win the stanley cup.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
JarkkoRuutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
CGY- Iginla, Millen
DAL-Nieuwendyk

Obviously we know what happened with Iginla. And Nieuwendyk helped Dallas to win the stanley cup.
I think if anything that's viewed as one of the least lopsided trades.

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Trillmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
CGY- Iginla, Millen
DAL-Nieuwendyk

This was one of the best trades (equal value wise) in the late 90's. Dallas got a cup with Newy (and a future GM) and CGY got a captain.

Trillmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Trillmike

I didn't see this one yet. I know a lot of people on here think Dallas got hosed on the Goligoski/Neal deal. There's been talk on here before between Pit and Dal fans agreeing that it was a good deal for both teams. Neal needed a player like Malkin to thrive, Niskanen really needed a change of scenery and Goligoski instantly became Dallas' best offensive D man.

Trillmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:13 AM
Dr Good Vibes

something cool to consider about the kessel trade is that i believe he'll be playing with jvr. I think they'll play well together.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Gomez to Mtl trade isnt that bad.

Weve gone to the Eastern final as the Rangers.

So Id call it a tie

Im kidding
Mcdonagh - Subban pairing....
I took the bait.

I was about to rip this one apart until I saw the white writing!

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
As someone who shredded the Canes when they made that deal (I was a huge Johnson believer), I have to agree.

I still doubt they got the absolute best value for JJ that was out there but, as you said, it doesn't seem like it's going to have any long-term ramifications for them.
Oh I agree with that entirely. Gleason's a nice player, but they could have definitely gotten better. Sucks that the Pens wanted Ladd in addition to Johnson for the Jordan Staal pick (JR of course balked at that idea), as that would have likely been a home run trade for the Canes without Ladd in there.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Well, the Kessel trade turned out to be quite lopsided because of one of the firsts turning into Seguin. But still, the Leafs weren't very competitive at the time and the outcome was a probable one. Kessel is the kind of guy he should've gone for to complete a team, not to be the core piece (like Jeff Carter)

If you look it in isolation it was an okay deal but given the context it really was an awful move.
+1
Context is a concept that is lost around here.

step 1: hockeydb
step 2: check stats to see who scored more
step 3: Kessel > Seguin. Trade = WIN.

That's the typical defense used by people who supports the trade. It doesn't matter if we finish in the basement every year..as long as Kessel is outscoring Seguin, we win the trade. It's saddening.

Last edited by TheSilencer: 10-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.
TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Swap out "Ference/Sturm" with "Dubinsky/Anisimov" and "Thornton" with "Nash" and this is a nice description of #61's departure as well. Only the two of them together have met or exceeded his scoring, and we got even more assets back.

Not that makes me miss him any less.
Except that IMO Dubinsky/Anisimiov >>> Ference/Sturm, and you also got Erixon and a 1st round DP.

I will say that Stuart had the potential to even the Thornton deal out. There was a while after the trade where he looked like a legit #1 guy. Of course, that didn't last long and he ended up getting shipped to CGY.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkkoRuutu View Post
I think if anything that's viewed as one of the least lopsided trades.
Nah Nieuwendyk was instrumental in bringing the Cup to Dallas. If they hadn't won a Cup then yeah you could argue it was a bad trade.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
There are some trades that when you look back upon and at first glance they may not be as lopsides as the stats nay dictate

the first one the always jumps to mind is one trade, that at first glance looks very lopsided, until you ask the question "Is the game about stats or about winning"?

1980-Feb-18 Traded from Toronto Maple Leafs with Dave "Tiger" Williams to Vancouver Canucks for Bill Derlago and Rick Vaive

Some people view this trade in the same category as the Cam Neely trade

This is where the question I put forward comes in

While Vaive went on to score about 350 goals in a leaf uni and delergo had great years with the leafs

Leafs never got to the cup

However, the canucks, lead by tiger and a bunch of no names made it to the final at against the NYI in 81-82. While history paints tiger williams as a goon and other nasty stuff, Williams, when he had his head on straight was a very good third liner who could play two way hockey and pop in a few goals to help.

While looking at the stats of the trade, Leafs win in a walk and it is not close. Howwever, leafs never got to the cup final and the canucks did and the series against the flames and hawks were two of the most physical games I had every seen

and then you have this scene that is one of the greatest and funniest things I witnesses/

That's some bass ackwards logic there.

Based on this Toronto could trade Kessel for scraps because they won't win the cup anyhow.

Or Vancouver could trade Luongo for nothing and as long as they make the finals and the team they trade Luongo to doesn't they win the trade. There's dumb and then there's this.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

The Zidlicky trade. One of the only times where quantity > quality

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
ScubaSteve*

Goligoski/Neal

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
This was one of the best trades (equal value wise) in the late 90's. Dallas got a cup with Newy (and a future GM) and CGY got a captain.
It was ALMOST one of the most lopsided trades ever in the form of a Dallas win. Calgary really, really wanted Todd Harvey for Nieuwendyk, but Dallas refused and instead shipped Iginla up there. Hindsight, I guess.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
A concept that is lost around here.

step 1: hockeydb
step 2: check stats to see who scored more
step 3: Kessel > Seguin. Trade = WIN.
Oh, the trade was for 1 year of Kessel versus 1 sophomore year of Seguin? I guess Toronto slightly won the trade then.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
yeah... looking at the performance of the players in the trade and not just counting how many years from their birth date to the present... such a weird way to look at a trade

BRB I'm going to re-read TSN's "Draft" edition for the fifth time and take a cold shower
if you are basing performance on goals alone, then ya, go right ahead.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Not as criticized anymore, but when Poile traded Franson+Lombardi for Lebda+4th, everyone (myself included) laughed at him. Now, Franson is struggling to stick on Toronto's 3rd pairing and Lombardi has little/no/negative value. Kind of a nothing for nothing deal. I'm not saying it was a great trade, but it wasn't as bad as the immediate reaction made it seem.
We actually signed rinne with the $7 mill we got back with that trade. It's kinda like our Joe Thornton trade except on a way smaller scale. People think Boston got reamed but then they turn around and sign Savard and Chara.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Except that IMO Dubinsky/Anisimiov >>> Ference/Sturm, and you also got Erixon and a 1st round DP.

I will say that Stuart had the potential to even the Thornton deal out. There was a while after the trade where he looked like a legit #1 guy. Of course, that didn't last long and he ended up getting shipped to CGY.
I'm surprised no one's corrected this year. Boston didn't trade for Ference and Sturm, they traded for Brad Stuart and Sturm, plus Wayne Primeau as well. Boston would later trade Stuart to Calgary for Ference at the deadline.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Oh, the trade was for 1 year of Kessel versus 1 sophomore year of Seguin? I guess Toronto slightly won the trade then.
Guess i should've used the sarcasm smiley..
I was agreeing with the poster i quoted. Hated the Kessel deal since day 1 because of how short-sighted and out of context it was.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm surprised no one's corrected this year. Boston didn't trade for Ference and Sturm, they traded for Brad Stuart and Sturm, plus Wayne Primeau as well. Boston would later trade Stuart to Calgary for Ference at the deadline.
I was responding to the post where someone said that BOS ultimately ended up with Ference and Sturm for Big Joe.

My point is that if Stuart had turned out like people thought he would (and did for a short while imeediately after the trade) - it would have been a better deal. Trading Stuart for a decent 3rd pair guy in Ference really makes the deal look extra worse IMO - even if Ference does have spurts where he plays better than a 3rd pairing guy.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:37 PM
JarkkoRuutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Nah Nieuwendyk was instrumental in bringing the Cup to Dallas. If they hadn't won a Cup then yeah you could argue it was a bad trade.
I'm not arguing it's a bad trade, I wrote that it was one of the least lopsided trades, as in, it was a great trade for both teams.

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote