HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Chicago-Toronto

Old
10-03-2012, 11:02 AM
TheSilencer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
With Franson gone, there should be a spot open for a bottom pairing/7th D-man.
Not with 3 years remaining in his contract.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
pspot

I suggested Connolly for Montador and Bickell a while back

Thought Bickell would be a great addition to the bottom six and on a good contract and was good value wise for taking on the longer contract of Montador.

I also like Montador as a depth dman , righ handed which Leafs definitely need.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Montador AND Bickell for Connolly? What the...I don't even...what are you guys thinking? I have seen some of the worst trade proposals tilted to the Leafs the last few days out of any I have ever seen...or just anything...in all of my years of following sports, you guys are off the reservation.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

3 years for Montador is a non-starter

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
If you said this like 2 weeks ago I would've said sure since I thought we needed another defenseman.

But, Paul Ranger seems to really be doing well and I think he is the guy who can fill out our back end.

I now see a
Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Komi
Holzer

kind of pairings, not to mention Rielly will probably get a few games in as well whenever the season starts. Connolly in my opinion is now more valuable to our team then trading for another bottom pairing (maybe #4) defenseman who has 3 years left on his contract. I think Connolly will get another shot at #1 center this year and if not we can use him at #2/3 or winger. He didn't rack up the points last season but he still plays well in his own end.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg9 View Post
^THIS^

If Montador had a year left like Connolly then I'd make the deal.
But not with 3 more years @ $2.75M with a MNTC.

Would rather just let Connolly walk at the end of the (maybe) season.
Bingo.

Connolly walking is a big part of the reason we're going to have the $ to chase a big time free agent (should they not be re-signed by the current clubs).

I like Montador, but I value cap flexibility more than what he would bring as our 6-7 defenseman.

Let's not forget that the Leafs have 1-2 guys who may be ready to step up from the farm this year (Holzer/Ranger/Blacker) and would be held back if Montador was a Leaf.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:19 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I thought Ranger signed a pro contract with the Marlies because that is where he wants to work on getting back. It's strictly a minor league contract. The Marlies just happen to be the affiliate of the Leafs. That's as far as his association with the Leafs goes, correct?

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I thought Ranger signed a pro contract with the Marlies because that is where he wants to work on getting back. It's strictly a minor league contract. The Marlies just happen to be the affiliate of the Leafs. That's as far as his association with the Leafs goes, correct?
Yeah.

Toronto needs a defenceman, but not an older, strict bottom pair guy with a 3 year deal, and especially not at the cost of Tim Connolly.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote