HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 10:14 AM
BlueChip01

vCash: 500
Like others have said, MLS and Comfree. Found my house I just bought through Comfree.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:32 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOilers View Post
Mls.ca

Best place to look

This is the main MLS search site
This what I've used for my stuff in BC and Alberta. They also have an app for iPhone and I pad witch is very handy. You can actually drive through a neibourhood that you like and choose the "find listings near me function and all the properties that are listed will show up on your map. That allows you to see if that part of town is in your desired budget as well.

Edit: the app is called realtor.ca

Old
09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I am a real estate agent, I work for Remax and would love to help your friend out in finding a place. I'll send you a PM.
Thanks a lot for the PM's.

And thanks to everyone that has chipped in as well.

09-30-2012, 06:51 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
I am a real estate agent, I work for Remax and would love to help your friend out in finding a place. I'll send you a PM.
This! A Real Estate agent doesn't cost you a penny and is the best way to go for representation, legalities etc..... If you are serious about getting a property you are silly not to use a Realter.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
This! A Real Estate agent doesn't cost you a penny and is the best way to go for representation, legalities etc..... If you are serious about getting a property you are silly not to use a Realter.
And he's an Oilers fan and a member of our HFOil community, all the more reason to patronize him

Old
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
I largely agree on the buy side. On the sell side, ComFree will save you 15k. Almost no level of service from a realtor is worth 15 grand.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I largely agree on the buy side. On the sell side, ComFree will save you 15k. Almost no level of service from a realtor is worth 15 grand.
That would depend on what kind of a deal they could broker IMO.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That would depend on what kind of a deal they could broker IMO.
A realtor in my brokerage just help his clients buy a comfree listing, he was able to negotiate the seller down considerable more than 15K off of the listing price. The Seller ended up losing almost all of her Equity in her home because she wanted to save 15k or what ever a realtor would have charged her.

Another situation a Comfree seller failed to disclose the fact that the house had previously burnt to the ground and been rebuilt, all because they didn't know they had to disclose the fact. Now they are going through years and years of court dates to settle the case. That's going to cost them more than 15k.

If you know what you are doing Comfree is fine most of the time. Now that Comfree has the ability to post your listings on the MLS you are going to be negotiating with a real estate agent more often than not. If you aren't careful you'll end up in a worse position.

And if you don't think the realtor's service is worth 15k, then negotiate a lower fee.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
A realtor in my brokerage just help his clients buy a comfree listing, he was able to negotiate the seller down considerable more than 15K off of the listing price. The Seller ended up losing almost all of her Equity in her home because she wanted to save 15k or what ever a realtor would have charged her.

Another situation a Comfree seller failed to disclose the fact that the house had previously burnt to the ground and been rebuilt, all because they didn't know they had to disclose the fact. Now they are going through years and years of court dates to settle the case. That's going to cost them more than 15k.

If you know what you are doing Comfree is fine most of the time. Now that Comfree has the ability to post your listings on the MLS you are going to be negotiating with a real estate agent more often than not. If you aren't careful you'll end up in a worse position.

And if you don't think the realtor's service is worth 15k, then negotiate a lower fee.
Its nice to hear a feel good story once in a while.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It's unfortunate, but it does go to show that unless you know wth you are doing you can get screwed really badly.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:42 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
When it comes to Com Free it's not just once in a while. The kind of buyers you get when it comes to com free are generally low ballers expecting you to share the savings of non commission with them. Now that they are on MLS it must even be more intimidating. Sure now they get more exposure, but even on MLS although they are suppose to..... How many realtors are going to want to show a com free listing?
Realtors are well worth the commission with exposure, advertising and negotiating. Very few com free cases actual come out ahead.

On the buying side though it's a no brainer!

Old
09-30-2012, 09:44 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And he's an Oilers fan and a member of our HFOil community, all the more reason to patronize him
At least you know he's not going to give up and jump ship when things aren't looking good! Lol

Old
09-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
At least you know he's not going to give up and jump ship when things aren't looking good! Lol
No doubt, he's a glutton for punishment like we are

Old
09-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
haha yeah, well it was a feel good story for the buyer.

Quote:
When it comes to Com Free it's not just once in a while. The kind of buyers you get when it comes to com free are generally low ballers expecting you to share the savings of non commission with them. Now that they are on MLS it must even be more intimidating. Sure now they get more exposure, but even on MLS although they are suppose to..... How many realtors are going to want to show a com free listing?
Realtors are well worth the commission with exposure, advertising and negotiating. Very few com free cases actual come out ahead.

On the buying side though it's a no brainer!
I'll show you as many comfree listings as you want to see. But as the buyers agent I'm not going to work for free so the money has to come from somewhere. If the Seller doesn't want to pay a fee for bringing the 2 parties together then its going to be on the buyer. How excited will that buyer be about buying a comfree listing that's going to take money out of his or her pocket.

Quote:
haha yeah my many years of Oiler fandom has taught me patience and perseverance. Hopefully things always look good though!!!

Old
10-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

Settle what? The house has been rebuilt, what more could they possibly want?

Old
10-01-2012, 01:50 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Just like any profession there are good and bad realtors.

Ive dealt with both.

The good ones are a pleasure to deal with and if you dont have a lot of experience in buying/selling homes, and home construction, then they are a very good option.

Ive bought homes using realtors and not using them (comfree).

If you are under no pressure and have lots of time you can consider selling your home using comfree, but you will likely have lots of headaches when it comes to dealing with prospective buyers not showing up, wanting to see the home at inconvenient times and possibly making offers without proper financing in place.

It may also take a lot longer to sell with comfree, but now that they are on mls, it may be a little easier.

All in all I would personally probably use a realtor just to avoid the headaches and to facilitate a fast sale.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Settle what? The house has been rebuilt, what more could they possibly want?
The problem was they didn't replace the foundation.

When a house burns down to the ground there are many issues that can go wrong with the foundation and it most likely has to be redone. Most notable the immense heat from the fire can cause heat cracks in the foundation. The mass amount of water that may have been used to extinguish the fire also cause problems with the foundation.

These are things that need to be disclosed when selling your home. They are called material latent defects. Which are defects in the home that are not discoverable by way of a visual inspection. In other words, they are defects that are not plain to see.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
joestevens29

How desparate is LA to get a new building to lure a NFL team.

So it's a 1.5 billion dollar project and while I'm not sure who exactly is paying for it all, the developer is none other than the AEG who has to foot some bills. How in the hell can you get into a deal with the AEG when they are for sale and you have no idea whether or not the new ownership will want to get into something this big?

Old
10-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

When a house burns down to the ground there are many issues that can go wrong with the foundation and it most likely has to be redone. Most notable the immense heat from the fire can cause heat cracks in the foundation. The mass amount of water that may have been used to extinguish the fire also cause problems with the foundation.

These are things that need to be disclosed when selling your home. They are called material latent defects. Which are defects in the home that are not discoverable by way of a visual inspection. In other words, they are defects that are not plain to see.
Interesting to know. That kind of stuff is how a realtor can add value.

As IATL said, there are some good realtors out there and some bad ones and I as well have seen both. With such big commissions on the line, many times it is difficult to believe hey have the buyer or seller's best interests in mind.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:45 PM
dasivon

Quote:

The things you learn on HF.

My house got hit by lightning in August. The roof burnt but 90% of our belongings were considered disposable. Straight away the fire dept was saying that within a week they had better get that moisture out of the house to avoid mold.

The insurance company has insisted on emergency repairs (tear down to studs) and rebuild from there.

I am going to sell the house once it's redone (likely another 4-6 months away) but hopefully the insurance company not completely tearing it down and properly rebuilding doesn't cost me a whole lot of $ in terms of resale value. They had a realtor call me who assured me it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference. Hopefully it's not an issue so long as they fully disclose up front.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
joestevens29

"If the kid is going to get a walk, please swing the bat 3-0, I will let you swing the bat. Make sure you don't walk. If he gets a hit by a pitch he's got to pray to somebody else because two big league at-bats getting hit by a pitch, that's very bad luck. He better change religions because if you get hit by pitches in two at-bats, oh my gosh, you better go to church every two days."

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=406539

Nice gesture by the Marlins

Old
10-02-2012, 09:06 PM
OrangeBlue10

I think this is the right place.
Im in need of a "new" car and i was wondering where the best place to get a used car would be. Ive narrowed it down to what i like. Is kijiji any good or should i be going to a dealership

Old
10-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
For those who have seen "Super Troopers", you will great appreciate this.

Very VERY Funny

http://deadspin.com/5947408/falcons-...n-sportscenter
Funny, but not as funny as you make it sounds. I'd prefer if he played the Officer Farva version

Old
10-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Interesting to know. That kind of stuff is how a realtor can add value.

As IATL said, there are some good realtors out there and some bad ones and I as well have seen both. With such big commissions on the line, many times it is difficult to believe hey have the buyer or seller's best interests in mind.
I can see how some might think that and I am sure there are some agents who are like that.

Personally I believe that it is in my best interest to keep the Buyers or Sellers best interests in mind. If I go through a sale with you and you get the feeling that I didn't really care about you or your interests, all I cared about was getting paid. Are you going to refer me to your friends and family saying I did an amazing job for you and you will never use any other agent? Probably not. But if I do everything in my power to make sure you are happy with my services you will be highly likely to recommend me to your friends and family. By doing a good job and by putting your best interests ahead of my own I can actually earn more money through repeat and referral business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
The things you learn on HF.

My house got hit by lightning in August. The roof burnt but 90% of our belongings were considered disposable. Straight away the fire dept was saying that within a week they had better get that moisture out of the house to avoid mold.

The insurance company has insisted on emergency repairs (tear down to studs) and rebuild from there.

I am going to sell the house once it's redone (likely another 4-6 months away) but hopefully the insurance company not completely tearing it down and properly rebuilding doesn't cost me a whole lot of $ in terms of resale value. They had a realtor call me who assured me it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference. Hopefully it's not an issue so long as they fully disclose up front.
Yeah as long as you disclose that fact there shouldn't be a problem, unless you do end up with a mold problem. In which case I'd be going after the insurance company to have it cleaned up properly. Might be smart to get an inspection done before you list it just to be up front with it. That way you can say this happened but look the problem is gone. This could also save you money in the long run. If a buyer looks at your place and likes it, then later learns that the house had previously had a fire they might expect you to lower your price. Where as if you are up front about it they will know going in that the price you are asking takes the past events into consideration.

Depending on what condition your home was before the fire you could actually see increased value.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I just pictured the first scenes from Cool runnings when you would leave the airport
To the contrary, when BBO made his first trip to Alberta during the winter he walked across town (5-10 min walk) only wearing shorts and a t-shirt when it was about -20C outside. He did ditch his sandals for a pair of shoes.

Closed Thread